• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought my first gaming pc!

Petopia

Banned
Wrong. It isn't my money at all. How is that not sinking in?
Mine either but I'm not talking about price I'm talking about putting it together rather than it be put together by someone else. We really are two sides of the same coin huh.

Assaulty

It's a great pc OP!

The one thing I would seriously look into are the temperatures. Most prebuild manufacturers cut costs on the stuff that isn't in the specs. Mainly non standard mobo's, memory, power supply and/or cooling. It would be wise to stress test the pc for a good while seeing as the main components are so powerful and generate a TON of heat.

To the whole pre build discussion: I would personally, if I really didn't want to build myself, have gone to a local pc store, order parts myself and let them put it together at a fee. There's loads of information available on the internet. That way you stay away from shady parts like mentioned above and will walk away with a cheaper and mainly better PC.

baphomet

If dude was actually paying for 5k he woulda went the whole 9 yards with water cooling a better case and make that shit bling with custom argb but like you said I'm the one who's retarded.

Not only are you too stupid to articulate sentences, you obviously can't count either. Because you have no fucking clue what the build op bought would cost to build.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Welcome brother join us

SNSr5EvALpUvBW1QDsw7fjQolHA=.gif

Topher

Gold Member
It's a great pc OP!

The one thing I would seriously look into are the temperatures. Most prebuild manufacturers cut costs on the stuff that isn't in the specs. Mainly non standard mobo's, memory, power supply and/or cooling. It would be wise to stress test the pc for a good while seeing as the main components are so powerful and generate a TON of heat.

To the whole pre build discussion: I would personally, if I really didn't want to build myself, have gone to a local pc store, order parts myself and let them put it together at a fee. There's loads of information available on the internet. That way you stay away from shady parts like mentioned above and will walk away with a cheaper and mainly better PC.

Looking over the specs, this PC was built with off the shelf parts. Even the power supply, which a lot of prebuilts go cheap on, is a solid MSI brand PSU. So this isn't like some proprietary Alienware nonsense, thankfully.

Link to specs:

Umbasaborne Umbasaborne there is a review of this PC saying the RAM speed is lower than advertised. Might want to check that in Task Manager when you get yours. Sometimes this is just due to a setting in the BIOS though. If not, you'll want MSI to replace the RAM sticks.

From review:
"Cons: The spec sheet indicates that the RAM included are two 32 GB DDR-5200 sticks. The RAM I received with my system were slower, DDR5-4800 sticks."

Here is a link to discussion of this issue on a different brand PC:

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If the first thing you do you when you geat a new gaming PC isn't booting up a 20/30 year old game, you're doing it wrong. (Half joking)
First thing i played on my Series S was Banjo Kazooie.
First game i completed on my Series S was Undertale.
First thing i played on my gaming PC was Team Fortress 2. (my older PC could never run it)
First game i completed.... OMORI.
When i build a new one 2-3 years from now, my first game on it is gonna be Minecraft. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
First thing i played on my Series S was Banjo Kazooie.
First thing i played on my gaming PC was Team Fortress 2. (my older PC could never run it)
When i build a new one 2-3 years from now, my first game on it is gonna be Minecraft. :messenger_smirking:
Its funny you say that. Access to the banjo games is the primary reason im keeping my series x around

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Its funny you say that. Access to the banjo games is the primary reason im keeping my series x around
if you dont care about banjo tooie, it won't be long before you can sell that Series X. gonna need that to pay off the debts buying this behemoth of a computer

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
if you dont care about banjo tooie you can sell that Series X
Haha i love the games too much, all of them, to get rid of my easy access to them. Besides i have a shit ton of xbox 360 games on it that i dont think are on pc

Umbasaborne

Banned
understandable, though xenia is getting better by the day. you should also probably do a bit of research on those games, a lot of them have remasters on PC.
Im actually really excited to play some older games that are not bc, or at least available digitally on xbox, like lego lotr, batman arkham origins, singularity, and need for speed most wanted (2012)

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

reads thread.. looks at people saying this will last a decade....

-_-
--_--
---_---
----_----

whatever you smoking.... please stop it was expired a decade ago.

congrats again OP. enjoy it for the next 4 to 5 years before you start upgrading parts to keep your PC at the top of the master race. if you do not you will be a sardine fish as far as the food chain goes lol.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Im so excited that im literally shaking. Not only is this my first gaming pc, but its also the most expensive thing ive ever purchased. Ive been a console pleb for the last 30 years of my life, what should I know going into this? I didnt buy a monitor because im hooking it right up to my 65 inch oled.

Here is the beast itself.
ZyUvceT.jpg

Im hyped as fuck to play cyberpunk with the rtx cranked all the way the fuck up. And to play portal rtx.

Respect.

Thats a build that you can upgrade with easily years later and you can get the swing of things.

I love gaming on a big screen too, but you should 100% get a monitor down the line lol, simply have both displays as some games don't translate well to the big screen.

If upgraded well, this can last you a decade plus lol

imho I wouldn't upgrade the CPU or GPU in 3 or 4 years, first see how that next gen would turn out with PS6 and XYBBQxXtereme. For all you know you literally could rid that gen with the same CPU/GPU combo.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
Not only are you too stupid to articulate sentences, you obviously can't count either. Because you have no fucking clue what the build op bought would cost to build.
Sure fuck face go get a prebuilt then don't know why I see a lot of opposition when it comes to building it your self as opposed to some building it for you but that's why they call it trouble shoot gaming for a reason.

EDMIX

Haha i dont trust myself to do that.

No worries.

Over time you'll change enough things where you'll get it and as someone that has been building gaming PCs for over 15 years, its the easiest time to do it.

Its like adult Legos lol

If you take your time and follow some videos, you'll have it up and running faster then you think. For your first build, no worries on getting a pre-built. With the bullshit prices on GPUs right now, you might be better off as I'm hunting for a 4090 and to do a whole build myself, its literally cheaper to just get a fucking pre-built at this point with what they are charging.

So it depends.

Now mark down February 6th, the start of Steam's Nextfest, and be sure to play the Dark & Darker playtest (it's free) on Steam. That game will be your defloration to one of the best experiences PC gaming has to offer.

DavidGzz

Awesome rig, Umbasaborne! This thread helped me pull the trigger on a prebuilt from Cyberpower. I got a similar build. Same CPU, RAM, and SDD but I got a 4070ti. Bought it outright for 3122 after taxes. I'm good with 1440p at 120fps for most games. Also, it's in a mini-itx case for easy transport since I do that often. Should be here before Hogwarts. All set to max out some Diablo 4 as well. I'm psyched!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That would be an absolute waste of money
Maybe maybe not. The dumbest thing people do is when they try to “ future proof “ a pc build. Things can and often do change drastically year to year. Of course you can still play games for years by dropping settings but if you are the type of person throwing down 5k on a gaming pc I doubt you would want to compromise that much down the line.

Two big things I can think of that are going to be taking off is RT and Direct storage. Both need lots of vram and rt hardware is going to do massive jumps in the next 3 years. I’m going to predict in three years the low range xx60 ti will meet or beat the 4090 RT performance.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Maybe maybe not.
Absolutely is imo, you don't get the highest end parts, that just released, and upgrade them 4 years later, especially since this generation of consoles has been slow to get really started; there is no way in hell 4 years from now his cpu/gpu isn't still absolutely crushing every game compared to their console performance. He won't worry for performance for a long long time.

Also he didn't "throw down" 5k on the pc, he said himself that this is kinda crazy and he doesn't have that kind of money so he's paying it off in installments.

lordrand11

Im so excited that im literally shaking. Not only is this my first gaming pc, but its also the most expensive thing ive ever purchased. Ive been a console pleb for the last 30 years of my life, what should I know going into this? I didnt buy a monitor because im hooking it right up to my 65 inch oled.

ZyUvceT.jpg

Im hyped as fuck to play cyberpunk with the rtx cranked all the way the fuck up. And to play portal rtx.
Congratulations and welcome to the club! You'll have a hell of a time playing anything your heart desires from 1975 until now, take your time we've got an ocean of content that the consoles just can't match (and even the majority of them can be accessed on this system now)

CashPrizes

Congrats OP, very excited for you if it is indeed your first gaming PC. The convenience is just unparalleled. I also have my PC hooked up to my LG Oled, older model tho so it doesn't have VRR ><

Just to weigh in about the price, 3 weeks ago I also bought a very similar PC from Cyberpower for comparison. I waited until there were just a ton of instant rebates stacked up. Was $3560 before tax, $3850 after tax (free shipping).

CAS: CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm Fans (White)
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-13900K 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 4090 24GB GDDR6X Video Card (Ada Lovelace) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 240EX ARGB 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)
FREEBIE_CU: Q4 Intel Call of Duty Holiday Bundle [+0]
FREEBIE_SSD: Free 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD [+0]
HDD: 1TB WD Black SN750 SE Series (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3600/2800 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 525/640k (Single Drive)
HDD2: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Team T-Delta RGB)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME Z790-P WIFI D5 DDR5 ATX w/ Wi-Fi, 2.5GbT LAN, (4)PCIe x16,(1)PCIe x1, (3)M.2, (4)SATA
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply [-13]
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring + [Black/Red] Phanteks Premium Extension Cables sleeved set [24Pin MB + 8Pin CPU + 6+2 Pin VGA] [+39]

Also came with a free keyboard/mouse/headset/HDMI cable as promos. Although I will probably give those out to friends/family as gifts because I need wireless Mouse/Keyboard/Headet because of using the PC on a large TV.

Hey if anyone is still in this thread, any pitfalls I should watch out for? Should I have spent on a 1200W Power supply, or gotten different Ram? I plan to buy another SSD, I just did not like the prices on the ones I could add on.

Last edited:

calistan

Congrats OP, very excited for you if it is indeed your first gaming PC. The convenience is just unparalleled. I also have my PC hooked up to my LG Oled, older model tho so it doesn't have VRR ><

Just to weigh in about the price, 3 weeks ago I also bought a very similar PC from Cyberpower for comparison. I waited until there were just a ton of instant rebates stacked up. Was $3560 before tax, $3850 after tax (free shipping).

CAS: CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm Fans (White)
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-13900K 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 4090 24GB GDDR6X Video Card (Ada Lovelace) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 240EX ARGB 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)
FREEBIE_CU: Q4 Intel Call of Duty Holiday Bundle [+0]
FREEBIE_SSD: Free 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD [+0]
HDD: 1TB WD Black SN750 SE Series (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3600/2800 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 525/640k (Single Drive)
HDD2: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Team T-Delta RGB)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME Z790-P WIFI D5 DDR5 ATX w/ Wi-Fi, 2.5GbT LAN, (4)PCIe x16,(1)PCIe x1, (3)M.2, (4)SATA
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply [-13]
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring + [Black/Red] Phanteks Premium Extension Cables sleeved set [24Pin MB + 8Pin CPU + 6+2 Pin VGA] [+39]

Also came with a free keyboard/mouse/headset/HDMI cable as promos. Although I will probably give those out to friends/family as gifts because I need wireless Mouse/Keyboard/Headet because of using the PC on a large TV.

Hey if anyone is still in this thread, any pitfalls I should watch out for? Should I have spent on a 1200W Power supply, or gotten different Ram? I plan to buy another SSD, I just did not like the prices on the ones I could add on.
You wouldn't need a bigger power supply unless you were planning to upgrade the graphics card to something even more power-hungry, which doesn't yet exist.

You'll most likely need to remove the graphics card to install another SSD in a spare M2 slot, so I guess that's why they were charging extra for installing one at the shop.

Seems a bit cheeky to charge for overclocking, aka changing a couple of numbers in a text box in the BIOS, but overall that's great value for money for such high specs. Interesting looking case too.

GymWolf

Not gonna lie that price was a bit hard to digest when you can simply buy the parts and let someone else build your pc like i'm doing, but that's a nice ass rig you have there Op, kudos!

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Dumb question, but one of the first things i want to do is mod flying cars into cyberpunk. Ive never modded a game on pc before so what is that process like, is it simple? Do i need to worry about viruses or malware on sites like nexus mods?

Guilty_AI

Dumb question, but one of the first things i want to do is mod flying cars into cyberpunk. Ive never modded a game on pc before so what is that process like, is it simple? Do i need to worry about viruses or malware on sites like nexus mods?
Nexus is safe. The way to mod games can vary a bit but usually all you have to do is drag the files you've downloaded/extracted into the game folder, read instructions in the mod's page.

Apart from that, just be aware of compatibility and save issues. Some mods may not be compatible with the newest version of the game, or with each other. Other mods can also affect save files so once you install them, removing them in the middle of the game may break your save.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

ZyUvceT.jpg

Aaaaaaand it's obsolete

Edit: I'm just teasing. Congrats, it's a beast!

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Welcome to the money pit of PC Gaming.

Where paying $2K to play trash console ports, is considered normal & acceptable behavior.

GHG

Just take your time and follow the instructions on the mod page. You'll get the hang of it in no time and then you'll realise you spend more time modding than playing in certain games *cough*skyrim*cough*.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Ill probably upgrade the gpu and cpu in 3 or 4 years

Just a heads up, Intel motherboards are normally only good for two generations of CPUs as Intel tends to change their sockets every two years. This means you will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard before you can upgrade your CPU in the future.

Top Bottom