• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had blood in my stool for the first time. Not sure what to think of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wash my hands frequently and am in pretty good physical shape. I drink plenty of water everyday. However, there was a significant amount of blood in my stool when I just went to the bathroom. This is the first time it has ever happened to me, so it is somewhat unnerving.

It was red/ pink in the water.

Should I call a doctor, or wait and see if it happens again?

Are there many likely benign reasons, or is it usually an indicator that there could be a significant problem?

Edit: I'm 23

Log4Girlz

I wash my hands frequently and am in pretty good physical shape, there was a significant amount of blood in my stool when I just went to the bathroom. This is the first time it has ever happened to me, so it is somewhat unnerving.

Should I call a doctor, or wait and see if it happens again?

See a doctor.

Kangi

Blood in stool is one of the biggest "DOCTOR NOW" signs there are. May be internal inflamed hemorrhoids, but it's one of many things it could mean.

Takao

Banned
yvzE2.png

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Dude, not cool. The guy is panicked. There's a difference between being the thread cut-up and just being a douche.

The dude came to the internet about this, of course he has to go to a doctor. He wanted serious advice? As the dude said above, this is as much of a DOCTOR NOW situation there is.

sfedai0

Banned
This seems slightly more dire than the roids thread. Is this the first time you've noticed? Do you always check? Either way, doc asap.

AlStrong

Wait, what does washing your hands have to do with blood in your stool? You want the water in your body (well hydrated), not on your hands. :p

Were you constipated?

lenovox1

Seriously. Doctor now. Although, was the blood dark? You might be in some trouble if it is.

And if it's bright red, it's probably just a fissure. If that fissure's up far enough in your ass, you wouldn't feel it. Though if you felt pain while passing, it was almost definitely a fissure. Never hurts to go to the doctor for some peace of mind.

Arsenic

I had this happen to me last year, I panicked like a motherfucker. Worst part was that it got WORSE over the next week, coupled with diarrhea that felt like lava coming out my ass, never mind the stabbing pains in my stomach. I seriously thought I was dying.

Anyways, I went to the doctor and the bitch told me its nothing to worry about, seems "normal". Gave me antibiotics as a precaution (basically a "take these and shut the fuck up" gift). As the pain went on (and the bleeding) i decided to starve myself for a day and, well, I was cured. I dunno what was going on in there.

SpacLock

From what I've heard it's not as unusual as you'd think. I wouldn't panic. Set up an appointment during the week. Monitor your stool until then.

That's my advice.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Was it bright red? Did you see blood when you wiped? Serious questions here.

If the answers are yes, then it's just a fissure. Essentially just a cut on your anus or nearby. You probably tried to push some hard stool out, and it cut you, or too much strain. You'll be fine.

If the answers are yes, then it's just a fissure. Essentially just a cut on your anus or nearby. You probably tried to push some hard stool out, and it cut you, or too much strain. You'll be fine.

...If the answer is no, is the first reply vindicated?

lenovox1

I had this happen to me last year, I panicked like a motherfucker. Worst part was that it got WORSE over the next week, coupled with diarrhea that felt like lava coming out my ass, never mind the stabbing pains in my stomach. I seriously thought I was dying.

Anyways, I went to the doctor and the bitch told me its nothing to worry about, seems "normal". Gave me antibiotics as a precaution (basically a "take these and shut the fuck up" gift). As the pain went on (and the bleeding) i decided to starve myself for a day and, well, I was cured. I dunno what was going on in there.

You gave your body time enough to heal the wound. Really small cuts or openings in your anus can feel like hell, so I can see why your doctor looked at you, gave you some antibiotics, and told you to go home. ETA: Oh, and diarrhea can cause anal fissures. That's probably what happened to you.

Wait, what does washing your hands have to do with blood in your stool? You want the water in your body (well hydrated), not on your hands. :p

Were you constipated?

For Washing Hands- Because blood in stool is one symptom of certain types of food poisoning/ ilnesses.

Actually a day or two ago was would say I was quasi-constipated.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The dude came to the internet about this, of course he has to go to a doctor. He wanted serious advice? As the dude said above, this is as much of a DOCTOR NOW situation there is.

Guess what for some people a single ER bill is enough to cripple them financially so sometimes it's good to know if you can wait for a day or two for a free clinic visit.

This. After a football game I went to the bathroom and every wipe had a little blood and went to the ER. Dr. laughed at me/called me dumbass.

Still happens once every 3-4 months even though I almost never have pooping issues but oh well.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Anal fissure. No big deal, dude.

Unless you have to use a tampon up there to stem the flow. In which case, go to the ER.

And don't wear white pants.

Kangi

there was blood when I wiped.

Yep, hemorrhoids or fissure. Good news is you'll be fine. Bad news is that you still need to go to the doctor. If it was darker red/only in the stool, it would mean you'd probably be bleeding intestinally. ...Which is bad. What you have should just take a small amount of treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom