• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had blood in my stool for the first time. Not sure what to think of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wonder how many people here on GAF have Ulcerative Colitis or Crohns disease :\

Ive had UC for 16 fucking years. 16 years of bleeding out of my ass on and off, more on than off...

good fucking times. Wonder if Ive been sick the longest.

"Slayer-33
"I'm glad mercaptopurine (6-MP) has kicked the shit outta my CD though. 1 pill a day for life but with no major long term consequences from what I understand. I'm all normal now. "

I'm on 6-MP as well, 50 mg 1 pill daily. Only damn drug that has ever worked for my UC besides steroids. Can't say I'm normal though since I have other colon issues besides the UC.

Long term side effects is a rare cancer we could get, but it's extremely rare and it's usually only if you're taking another immune suppressing drug at the same time and young.

CTE

The point is, the original poster should rely on a video game message board neither for medical advice nor suggestions on when to visit his physician.

This is meant to encourage the original poster to exercise his own judgement. Because learning to make decisions is one of the most important things an adult can do.

I'm sure he's doing fine on his own. Just wants to talk about it so he doesn't stay up all night stressing. I know what point you are trying to make, though.

Hiltz

Drnick.jpg

Good luck.

whitehawk

Banned
Go to a doctor tomorrow. My dad saw blood back in 2004. He didn't want to go to a doctor but my mom forced him too. Turned out he had cancer. If he hadn't of gone to the doctor when he did he may have died.

There's a good chance it's not something serious, but you don't want to take that risk. Go, now.

Wonder how many people here on GAF have Ulcerative Colitis or Crohns disease :\

Ive had UC for 16 fucking years. 16 years of bleeding out of my ass on and off, more on than off...

good fucking times. Wonder if Ive been sick the longest.

"Slayer-33
"I'm glad mercaptopurine (6-MP) has kicked the shit outta my CD though. 1 pill a day for life but with no major long term consequences from what I understand. I'm all normal now. "

I'm on 6-MP as well, 50 mg 1 pill daily. Only damn drug that has ever worked for my UC besides steroids. Can't say I'm normal though since I have other colon issues besides the UC.

Long term side effects is a rare cancer we could get, but it's extremely rare and it's usually only if you're taking another immune suppressing drug at the same time and young.

I have Hirshsprungs (sic?) disease. You Chron's guys sound like you have it bad. Is it me or is talking about intestinal disorders or bowel related disorders a no-no? People get grossed out I guess and it's a sledgehammer to self esteem. I mean, I remember shitting out of a hole cut in the side of my abdomen as a kid. Fucking caphiders too and all that.

I just get worried now that I'm older if I should worry about prostate and colon cancer. Mind numbing pain around my nether regions isn't something that's unusual to me afterall.

MiniKelly

Do you poop daily or every 3-4 days?

If 3-4 days then it could be your stool is too hard which could cause bleeding. Eat more vegatables and fiber foods to get daily pooping which should stop the bleeding.

Ashhong

This "DOCTOR NOW" isn't entirely true. It depends on the color. I forgot the colors, but I think if its bright red it's just a tear in your rectum, but if it's dark red it could be a problem.

Recently had some issues with my stool as well, guess it was my poor diet, and I was ripping my ass every time I took a shit. Kept bleeding but the color indicated it was no biggie.

Ra\/en

Probably a fissure or hemorrhoids.

Go to a doc, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Blood that is a part of the stool, or coming out in large volumes is more of a concern. Also, dark, sticky, black foul smelling stools is a huge problem.

Davidion

It's entirely possible for a simple fissure to look really dramatic, often resulting in bright red stools. I would go to the doctors ASAP, but don't start shitting your pants yet.

Short of an actual serious problem they may give you a colonoscopy or something along those lines. You should do it regardless just to be sure.

Do you poop daily or every 3-4 days?

If 3-4 days then it could be your stool is too hard which could cause bleeding. Eat more vegatables and fiber foods to get daily pooping which should stop the bleeding.

Wait. There are people that only poop every 3-4 days? I poop at least 4-5 times a day. Fuck, I feel like an alien amongst you “normal” people. Really? You normal people can go a day without pooping? God damnit I'm a freak.

Ashhong

Wait. There are people that only poop every 3-4 days? I poop at least 4-5 times a day. Fuck, I feel like an alien amongst you “normal” people. Really? You normal people can go a day without pooping? God damnit I'm a freak.

I think if anything that says that your diet is just healthier than us "normal" people. I poop maybe once every 2 days, sometimes daily, depending on what I eat. Pooping regularly, as long as its not like diarrhea from shitty foods, is probably a good thing.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
mlFBu.png

Seriously, go on a high-fiber diet. Make a journal of what you eat for the next two weeks. Take note of your bodily reactions to certain foods.

I'm not a doctor

This "DOCTOR NOW" isn't entirely true. It depends on the color.
No it doesn't. Color suggests location (upper tract versus lower tract, but in no way definitive), and that's about it. It isn't that helpful with correlating severity.

The demographics are far more helpful.

A young man like OP with small amount of rectal bleeding, otherwise no pain? Not that worried. Make an appointment.
A 45 year-old man with history of heartburn now with some black tarry blood in his stools and not light-headed? Should call the clinic within the next 1-2 days.
A 70 year-old grandma with rectal bleeding of any damn color? Call the clinic within 24 hours. Plus feeling light-headed? Go to ER now.
A 50 year-old alcoholic who is starting to throw up some blood? Don't drive to ER, call 911.

Had an anal fissure for a while. Bright red blood while wiping. Went to a doctor. She looked at it, put a finger up there, nothing internal, just 2 small red cuts. Said that if it bled again I should come back. For some reason I didn't poop for 3 days after that, guess my subconscious told my body not to poop or something. Anyways, it healed up, haven't had any problems with it for over a week and I hope it stays that way.

If it keeps bleeding and doesn't heal up by itself though, go to a doctor. I think there's an ointment or something that increases the blood supply to that area so cuts heal quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom