• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just played Skyrim for the first time since PS3...

No.

All those shitty PSX/N64 era games that had tank controls were doing it specifically to fuck with players, that's why the controls were so bad in them. Devs hadn't gotten completely out of the quarter-munching arcade development mindset. RE4 proved that you could do tank controls without them being completely shitty. But it was to placate whiney fanboys that they even kept them around, so it's a shame it didn't do them any good in the end, because RE4 haters still bitch about the controls either being too good or too bad to this day. Fanboys are never happy, are you?

Fixed camera angles have nothing to do with style or how controls work. Devil May Cry was an action game with fixed cameras that didn't use shitty tank controls. Onimusha was an action game that used fixed camera angles and shitty controls and still managed to be fun in spite of it. Those were both development spin offs of Resident Evil, and they both shed Resident Evil's deadweight style conventions as time went on. No one complained about it because the fans of those games aren't obsessed with everything about those games being as shitty as possible. Getting rid of bad controls was the right thing to do and Capcom knew it. The only people who don't know it are RE fanboys.

You've been brainwashed by old games; the devs who made them don't even give a fuck about the bad controls you're defending. If a player asked them to put shitty controls into a modern game they'd say "no, we want to do better controls now. That's not how we're making games any more." They have no nostalgia about it.

And Resident Evil 4 had a worse story than older ones? You're out of your goddamn mind.

Don't pretend that isn't a garbage bag full of boiling vomit.

Literally the only people who say this are old RE fanboys. RE4 is a game that people were calling perfect for over a decade. It's a game that started to show its age almost 15 years after it first came out. It's a game that was release and rereleased and rereleased again with little more than a texture upscale and sold millions of units every time.
RE4 is objectively a great game and was objectively the right thing for Capcom to do with the franchise, just like VII switching to first person when the RE4 style got stale was the right thing to do.

No one is taking old RE away from you. You can still play those games and bask in the outdated, annoying game design. Stop being mad that the community and the industry moved on. It was 17 years ago.

RE4 prooved nothing the controls of the game are unquestionably terrible what are you talking about? It is self-evident. At least the other RE had an excuse since they were games with fixed camera and that wasn't the focus.

I couldn't finish reading this nonsense you are posting, I'm ready to move on with my day. Good luck.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
RE4 prooved nothing the controls of the game are terrible what are you talking about? At least the other RE had an excuse since they were games with fixed camera.

I couldn't finish reading this nonsense you are posting, I'm ready to move on with my day. Good luck.
No, you read it and the truth hurt your feelings.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
"The UI is complete trash. SkyUI is essential to be able to play this game."

Quite the opposite for me. I've given up on plenty of other RPGs because of their UIs. One of the things I like about Skyrim is its accessibility.
Yeah, I tried out SkyUI and immediately removed it. The original is nothing to write home about, but it works and is logical.

Zug

Now try it in VR, install HIGGS and VRIK mod. It’s awesome. 🤩

But beware! Afterwards you’ll be forever sad that MS bought Bethesda and don’t care about VR.
Will Starfield get a VR version? I’d say, not likely. Maybe a janky thirdparty mod.
Skyrim VR + mods is one the best best thing ever in the videogame landscape, seriously. It's a super immersive ode to adventure and exploration, and nothing beats it when it comes to content. I wish there were more games like this one.
It's also a bit more user friendly to install stuff now with the automated mod packs.

Last edited:
Played through two characters on ps3 version. 100+ hours. It was fine. It was the game that inspired me to get surround sound.

Fantastic game. Currently waiting for it to go on steam sale again since I now have a gaming pc.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Skyrim VR + mods is one the best best thing ever in the videogame landscape, seriously. It's a super immersive ode to adventure and exploration, and nothing beats it when it comes to content. I wish there were more games like this one.
It's also a bit more user friendly to install stuff now with the automated mod packs.
Is it possible to play in VR if all I have is the Special Edition on Steam? I don't want to buy the VR version.

GymWolf

I only ever see this when people go on hate rants about it, where they make outrageous claims about it being a really awful game. Never seen any reasonable criticism answered with “you’re a hater/troll”.
People are tired of being called sony fanboy everytime we criticize a bethesda game.

I guess it is hard for people to understand that many of us always gave 2 fucks about bethesda games well before M acquisition.

I had several people in this forum telling me that skyrim and fallout 4 are not that bad bug wise, and onestly you lose your will to discuss when even clear as fuck flaws get diminished just because bethesda is now under M umbrella or because bethesda fanboy can't accept that their beloved games are severely flawed.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I really really like Skyrim. I also really liked fallout 3, nv, and 4.

Hell, I even really liked the settlement building in fallout 4. I built at least a dozen up with doors and walls. Then I realized the span system wasn’t so good so I had to make massive changes. Still love it.

I should do a pc one with loads of mods and totally build the underground vault…

Oblivion fell kind of flat on me in all honesty. The leveling of enemies always bugged me.

Amory

Skyrim is one of the best games ever made, IMO, but it's not underrated lol

Game is still getting released on new platforms a decade later. It's adored by a whole lot of people.

Ristifer

I enjoyed Skyrim. Never really wanted to revisit it much after going through it, but in no reality on this planet is it underrated.

Kssio_Aug

I don't know if I would call it underrated, probably not. But for sure it has tons of haters too! I think it's a fantastic RPG, with tons of content, a huge world to explore, and I never thought the combat was as terrible as people say (I prefer it over The Witcher's 3 combat for example, and I like both games). With mods it gets even better!

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Skyrim is funny. Other games have done what it does, but for some reason things just converged into that game that made it irresistable for a lot of people. There's a combination of "what's out there" plus "what's going to happen" because of some of the physics jankiness ... like a fight can go in a lot of different directions simply because of funky controls and physics, but for some reason in this game instead of being a problem it becomes memorable. There is just a sense of discovery and unknown that comes from the game, but I think that's a feel that Bethesda is good at overall across the Fallout and ES games.

Zug

Is it possible to play in VR if all I have is the Special Edition on Steam? I don't want to buy the VR version.
Nope, you'll need the VR edition. It's often on sale on PC though.
If you want to use pre-made packs (recommended unless you're already well versed into modding with games using the same engine), you'll also need to pay a couple bucks for a 1 month nexus subscription.
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/ is a good place to start.

Last edited:

Danknugz

it's a well designed game but the amount they've milked it instead of crafting a new one has kind of tainted that legacy.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Still has arguably the most believable world in a game yet, still arguably my fave game of all time.
If i was only allowd to play one game for the rest of my life, Skyrim would be it.

Deal with it haters.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Agreed.

It might be the GOAT.

Skyrim is a classic. Glad OP is discovering this amazing world, a gaming experience not to be missed.

I will say that the game can be jank in spots, the systems running the game can be jank too. I totally accept that jank! If you're playing Skyrim and want the best mechanics and meticulous balancing then you're doing it wrong. The game play mechanics get the job done but that's not why one plays Skyrim. You play Skyrim for the immersion, the awesome open world and the excellent music and ambient sounds. The fact of playing for hours and only feeling like minutes is strong with this game and continues for me even after 500 hours between two console gens (I survived PS3 Skyrim). Finished what I thought was my last playthrough about 18 months ago and I'm feeling the itch to go back. Probably will with a few choice mods this time- but not too many.

it's a well designed game but the amount they've milked it instead of crafting a new one has kind of tainted that legacy.
The smart play would have been for Bethesda to hire Obsidian again or plain buy them. They make Fallout 3, Obsidian makes Fallout: New Vegas, they make ESV: Skyrim, Obsidian makes ES: New Valenwood. That way ES players wouldn't have been starving for a new release and they'd have the bonus of Obsidian's story writing every other entry.

Top Bottom