• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just rewatched The Aviator

Last time I watched the movie was in theatres in 2004, when I was less than 10 years old, and I definitely did not appreciate it at the time. But after watching it last night, this movie is now easily in my top 10:

What an incredible movie and may be the best bopic ever made - the atmosphere, music, dialogue - the movie has no flaws . Leo was at his best, this is the movie he should've won best actor for. It rivals A Beautiful Mind with the depiction of the mental illness Howard Hughes suffered (OCD) - you can truly feel the frustrating/suffocating nature of the illness in several scenes. Howard Hughes himself is such a fascinating person - the Elon Musk of his time (Hughes was a greater technical mind my view) - he didn't settle for anything less than perfection and his interests had a wide range from movies, aviation, real estate, etc. I'm surprised Hughes isn't mentioned more in pop culture today, the way the movie portrayed him it seems Hughes should be up there with Tesla, Edison, etc. in terms of influence - high budget movies, modern aviation, Vegas as it is today (not shown in movie) were all influenced by him.

This movie is certainly among Leo's/Scorsese's best, go watch it!

nush

Gold Member
6604221_0.jpg

ManaByte

Last time I watched the movie was in theatres in 2004, when I was less than 10 years old, and I definitely did not appreciate it at the time. But after watching it last night, this movie is now easily in my top 10:

What an incredible movie and may be the best bopic ever made - the atmosphere, music, dialogue - the movie has no flaws . Leo was at his best, this is the movie he should've won best actor for. It rivals A Beautiful Mind with the depiction of the mental illness Howard Hughes suffered (OCD) - you can truly feel the frustrating/suffocating nature of the illness in several scenes. Howard Hughes himself is such a fascinating person - the Elon Musk of his time (Hughes was a greater technical mind my view) - he didn't settle for anything less than perfection and his interests had a wide range from movies, aviation, real estate, etc. I'm surprised Hughes isn't mentioned more in pop culture today, the way the movie portrayed him it seems Hughes should be up there with Tesla, Edison, etc. in terms of influence - high budget movies, modern aviation, Vegas as it is today (not shown in movie) were all influenced by him.

It's the best modern Scorsese movie by far. It touches on Hughes' OCD, but avoids the latter years where he was found malnourished with needles sticking out of his arms and legs. It presents Hughes in the way in which he should be remembered.

AlphaMale

I always thought Leo should have won an oscar for this.

Top Bottom