• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Still Looks Lush!

goldenpp72

Kameo was said to have broken 500k awhile ago somewhere, not great, not terrible, doubt we'll see a sequel though.

I should really give Kameo a whirl now I've got myself an HDTV, photos I've seen of it in action makes my experience on an SDTV seem like last-generation gaming. I just wish I could pull myself away from Mass Effect long enough to play a different game!

Jinko

goldenpp72 said:
Kameo was said to have broken 500k awhile ago somewhere, not great, not terrible, doubt we'll see a sequel though.

I would have thought that was good numbers for a platformy type game.

g23

European pre-madonna
Lets not forgot the other launch title rare launched with! (Which shared the technologies used in kameo)

Perfect%20Dark%20Zero.jpg

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Kameo is a beautiful game, the gameplay is what hurt it. It had potential to be a AAA game but fell short because of it's odd control scheme. If they would have mapped the actions to the face buttons (instead of the shoulder buttons) and switching characters to the d-pad (instead of the face buttons) I think it would have been better accepted.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Supposed to have become a million seller when it was discounted.
Really? That's way better than I thought. With Viva Pinata going over 500k and PDZ being a million seller as well Rare isn't as big a bomb for MS as some are making it out to be. Plus Banjo 3 is coming and should be amazing.

Lets not forgot the other launch title rare launched with! (Which shared the technologies used in kameo)

Regardless of whether or not PDZ shared the same technology as Kameo, Kameo is far better, both artistically and technically.

Parts of PDZ almost look nice (there are some good uses of paralax mapping etc), but there was so much screen tearing and some of the character designs were dreadful. Kameo, on the other hand, has almost no tearing at all (aside from the badlands when there are about 300 trolls on screen (sounds like GAF!), and mostly nice art direction throughout.

g23 said:

I remember forcing myself to play through that game when I first got the 360 after I got tired of PGR3 all the time. I kind of want to try it again to see if I enjoy it still.

eventually I picked up Condemned which was really awesome and maybe my favorite of the launch games (PGR3 made me wish I could play PGR2 on my 360 and I had CoD2 on PC).

and I didnt really enjoy the Kameo demo(s) at all, so I didnt really bother picking them up, but it was a good looking game.

Doodis

I still don't understand the hate this game got. I had lots of fun with this game at launch and it looked (looks) great. We don't get enough of these types of games on the 360. Sure, shooting faces is fun and all, but it's nice to get a break once in a while.

qirex99

Banned
great game for launch that still shines today.

I always wonder why kameo gets slammed so much. I found teh control great. Sure kameo herself is a bit floatY - but she is a fairy. I loved the subtle animatioons as well. She would actuallt lean and turn as you made her fly different directions.

Surely well worth $50...even though its like $6 now!

GreekWolf

kameo05dk6.jpg

kameo42gi1.jpg

kameo23la1.jpg

kameo10sr5.jpg

I personally feel as if it's one of the most impressive next-gen games, even by today's standards. Whenever I see people flipping out over the MASSIVE INSANO textures/effects in games like Uncharted and Mass Effect, it always makes me wonder if I'm the only one whose ever bothered to play through Kameo.

GreekWolf said:
I personally feel as if it's one of the most impressive next-gen games, even by today's standards. Whenever I see people flipping out over the MASSIVE INSANO textures/effects in games like Uncharted and Mass Effect, it always makes me wonder if I'm the only one whose ever bothered to play through Kameo.

On a technical level it still puts a great majority of 360/PS3 games to shame. I still think it has the most impressive textures and particle effects in a "next gen" game to this day.

Just threw in the game for a quick 5 minute blast. One thing that jumped out at me; the game has a great soundtrack, it has a very 'epic' sort of feel to it. Graphics are great, very lush. Sometimes I forget the 360 can produce games of rainbow briteness. A lack of AF lets it down a bit, but being that Rare probably had the early dev kits with an X800 rather than Xenos, I'll let them off.

I'd love to see what they could get out of the 360 with a Kameo 2... someone make it happen!

Walshicus

GreekWolf said:
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5954/kameo05dk6.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6094/kameo42gi1.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1761/kameo23la1.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3392/kameo10sr5.jpg

You bastard. You just cost me £15 next time I go into GAME.

Oh how I wish I'd never traded it in after completing it. Easily my second favourite launch title evar.

Prine

Banned
sionyboy said:
Just threw in the game for a quick 5 minute blast. One thing that jumped out at me; the game has a great soundtrack, it has a very 'epic' sort of feel to it. Graphics are great, very lush. Sometimes I forget the 360 can produce games of rainbow briteness. A lack of AF lets it down a bit, but being that Rare probably had the early dev kits with an X800 rather than Xenos, I'll let them off.

I'd love to see what they could get out of the 360 with a Kameo 2... someone make it happen!

The soundtrack is by far the best i've listened to in a game. Beats most movies, Rare harbour some of the most talented composers in the industry

Everdred

Prine said:
The soundtrack is by far the best i've listened to in a game. Beats most movies, Rare harbour some of the most talented composers in the industry
Amen to this! I sat on their website at work last night and listened to a lot of their recent soundtracks, they are fantastic. Even PDZ had some great music.

Yoboman

I think it looks bad. It's much like Doom 3 in that it sloppily overuses normal mapping. It really looks like an early first attempt at next gen features. Much like PDZ

tissot

Kameo and PGR3 were my fav. launch games for the 360

You can get most if not all the music from the Kameo game here, along with other Rare games.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yoboman said:
I think it looks bad. It's much like Doom 3 in that it sloppily overuses normal mapping. It really looks like an early first attempt at next gen features. Much like PDZ

I agree with this. Also I don't like the artstyle all that much. I was really interested in this game when I got a 360 because the system lacked good action/adventures, but after playing the demo(s)... hmm not so much. Nothing I played was even remotely fun

The most laughable part of the demo was the 1000 orc fight. That cutscene before it screamed 'look at how many orcs we can put on one battlefield with new technology'

I remember people laughing at me when i said that Ash's animation was some of the most impressive i've seen in any game. i guess this is the thread that will tell me i'm not crazy.

Oneself

Kameo was the most impressive looking 360 launch game IMO. It looks better than most games released today. It's not a very good game overall, but it's worth playing from start to finish just for the graphics.

GreekWolf

Darunia said:
I agree with this. Also I don't like the artstyle all that much. I was really interested in this game when I got a 360 because the system lacked good action/adventures, but after playing the demo(s)... hmm not so much. Nothing I played was even remotely fun
Kameo's demo is about as representative of the final product's quality, as Heavenly Sword and Blue Dragon. Which is to say, not at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I remember spending hours running around the elf kingdom and just looking at the beautiful graphics. I need to re-purchase the game as I never finished it.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Kameo was and still is an amazing looking game. Pity we wont be getting another. I have high hopes for Banjo this year though.

Sean

Banned
It was really amazing to see Kameo evolve over the last year of its development.

BlimBlim had recorded many videos of Rare demoing the game at various gaming events and every time it was shown (E3 05, GC, TGS, X05) it'd look significantly better. I remember them adding a lot of effects like depth of field and doubling the number of particles and enemies on-screen and stuff in just a month or two. I still have a DVD of movies from the "afro-tree" boss fight (both the Xbox version and the 360 version from a year later) and the jump was pretty huge. I'll see if I can still find it.

Now I'm in the mood to play through this game again! Too bad there probably won't be a sequel.

I repurchased Kameo at Kmart for only $7 a few months ago. This was my favorite launch game, even though I managed to beat it in a day.

qirex99 said:
I loved the subtle animations as well. She would actually lean and turn as you made her fly different directions.

Because of this thread I started to replay Kameo yesterday, and precisely this was what I noticed this time. The animations of Kameo flying are indeed very well done.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
GreekWolf said:
Kameo's demo is about as representative of the final product's quality, as Heavenly Sword and Blue Dragon. Which is to say, not at all.

Well I played two. One had a level of the game where you entered a castle and had the rock/plant/iceman powers, as far as I remember. It lasted pretty long too, but it wasn't fun.
The other demo had nuggets of different parts of the game: an orc battle, a boss battle (a big tree of some sorts) and a section in a town. None of that left me wanting to play more. How much of this game do I need to play through?

hadareud

The Translator
It was a really good game, probably the best launch game with PGR3. Graphics were and are stunning, as is the music.

I love it how this game is always portrayed by GAF as proof that Rare have lost it, when all it proves to me is that they definitely haven't.

I might have to play through it again now as well.

kameo10sr5.jpg

At first i said HOLY SHIT

But then i realised it's a pic taken off a HD set and we all know that makes games look better than they do in real life.

Meh. Sure there's parts in Kameo that look great (hell, the section towards the end in and around the castle still looks incredible with the DOF effect and all) but it was all mared by some rather shitastic character designs (something I normally don't give a damn about but it was impossible not to notice in Kameo).

My biggest pet peeve with Kameo isn't the graphics or music though, it's the gameplay. I didn't think it was fun at all. People like to point and laugh at PDZ as a sign of Rare's supposed incompetence but I honestly believe that they should be looking at Kameo instead. PDZ's single player game might've been one colossal stink bomb but the multiplayer was a complete blast. Kameo on the other hand had some sort of half-ass adventure game that just wasn't compelling at all.

Anyway, if you guys are looking for some pics of it....I think I still have some.

kameo11qi7.jpg

CIMG1853.jpg

kameo20ww6.jpg

kameo16lu2.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Aside from the water levels, which are marred by an inexplicable control scheme, I thought Kameo was pretty fun.

GreekWolf

Darunia said:
Well I played two. One had a level of the game where you entered a castle and had the rock/plant/iceman powers, as far as I remember. It lasted pretty long too, but it wasn't fun.
The other demo had nuggets of different parts of the game: an orc battle, a boss battle (a big tree of some sorts) and a section in a town. None of that left me wanting to play more. How much of this game do I need to play through?
Well to be honest, I didn't even know there was second one on Live. I played through the original demo at launch and wasn't too impressed. The visuals seemed passable, but the controls were much too wonky and the overall experience just didn't seem very fun... so, I passed. Several months later, I played the retail game over at a friends and was shocked by the quality of the final product. It was a completely different experience, which makes me wonder just how old the demo build was.

Of course, I'm sure the game isn't for everyone, which is why I always suggest a rental before plopping down the moolah.

Top Bottom