• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Still Looks Lush!

FirewalkR

So, thanks to some threads from a while ago, but mainly to this one, I bought Kameo today. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but tomorrow the graphics whore will be fed.

Mohonky

Still far and away one of the best looking games I've played on any system. Also one of my favourites. Don't understand the hate it got on launch. Rare seriously know how to pump out some pretty looking games. To think this game was a launch title and still theres barely anything that touches it.

Can't wait to see what they can do with Banjo. Hell Conker on Xbox was damned freaky brilliant visually.

watkinzez

Concerning the art; it's not all bad. The elves and those other flying helper things, yeah. The elemental warriors, nope. I loved Rubble's animations.

Everdred

wallguy.jpg

chemicals

the game as a whole really impressed me. I loved every second of it... honest. It not only looks great, but it's a great game from top to bottom.

I agree, playing through it right now on my newly received 360.

Even on my crummy SD set, it still looks gorgeous, even when compared to CoD4. Sure, totally different types of art styles/colors etc, but it's very impressive how well it looks for a launch game two years later.

It gives me that charming feeling that older Rare games like Banjo Kazooie did. I love that.

However, seeing those HD pics makes me weep that I don't have an HDTV. :(

On a side note, I rather enjoy the gameplay so far. It's nothing revolutionary or exceedingly different, but I can see myself having a good time throughout it. And even though I'm new to the 360 world, it seems like some easy achievements so far.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
So I popped Kameo in again for the first time in a while and I'm still completely blown away with the graphics. From the HDR lighting, particle effects, 4xAA and real-time depth of field, to the number of enemies and geometry, everything is just so phenomenal. The textures are particularly great. I'm not sure what's being used(I'm guessing some advanced form of parallax mapping), but Kameo takes structures made out of flat low count polygons and adds all sorts of details, lighting and depth to them. Normal mapping last gen attempted to do the same thing, but the illusion was lost as soon as you got close to an object and the lighting always looked off. With Kameo no matter what angle or how close I get the textures still retain their resilience. I've taken a pic from my crappy digital camara just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. These are from the first training area, but the effects are seen everywhere through-out the game. (Pay particular attention to the wall textures in these screens.)
Picture1314a.jpg

Picture1317a.jpg

This wall was made from a flat polygon! Even when I zoomed in the texture work still looks amazing!
Rare is also one of the few developers that has taken advantage of 'geometry instancing' this gen. Using it to display an amazing number of polygons on screen. Check out a gif I made:

82ni075.gif

All real-time and a launch game at that!! I can't wait for Banjo Threeie!!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Nice shots, homey. Rare really did a lot of great work with textures, shaders, and particle effects in Kameo. Pretty wild considering it dropped at launch, but then again, they had the framework from previous development cycles and were able to go in and really ramp those technical goodies up. It's not wonder they're really proficient at these bells and whistles when you look at it like that.

It's a similar phenomenon with Infinity Ward and Call of Duty 4. When you start with a finished engine, you get to give a lot of love to the finish work.

Mojovonio said:
Kameo was my favorite launch game, bar none.

severely underrated.

I was a "hater" until I actually got a copy and played it on my setup. Been a fan ever since. This game just looks absolutely amazing in HD. And to think this was a launch game?! If they did a new Killer Instinct with that type of fidelity...there would be chaos and riots in the streets! :lol

ghibli99

Demo didn't do anything for me, but this thread has certainly sparked my interest in the title again. Might have to take a second look.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
clashfan said:
Is Banjo going to be Rare's first game that will be started on the 360?
Yes, Banjo is the first Rare game to be 100% designed for the 360 from the ground-up, unless you count Jetpack in there :p

GreekWolf

sinnergy said:
I wonder what Rare can do with the X360 hardware if Banjo is indeed designed from the ground up for the 360.
Considering that the entire Banjo Kazooie team remains intact, and is now both experienced and comfortable with 360 hardware, I think a winrar is us.

I really enjoyed Kameo a great deal. When I got the 360 at launch, I thought PDZ would be the fun game and Kameo would be lame, so I purchased accordingly. Little did I know that the reverse was actually true.

Although I had some MP fun with PDZ, I had a lot more fun with Kameo. It is indeed gorgeous in HD. It looks good on an SD set but really it takes on an entirely different fidelity on a good HD set.

Is Kameo herself an ugly design? Yes. Are some of the controls a little wonky? Yes. Does that make the game bad? No. The game feels like classic Rare to me, and as I played through it I would hit moments where I would say "That is just so RARE...". It's not perfect but it's beautiful and fun, and there aren't many (or any?) games like it on the HD systems.

tak

Blimblim said:
Yes, Banjo is the first Rare game to be 100% designed for the 360 from the ground-up, unless you count Jetpack in there :p
wait, what platform did Viva Pinata development start on?

Kosma

Banned
Kameo was a blast to play, a bit too straightforward and easy but a blast none the last. Plus it was freaking gorgeous. Would be cool to see a sequel one day, which would expand on the puzzle side of things.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sinnergy said:
2 years ago this game was used by some individuals to proof X360 was just Xbox 1.5.
How times have changed :lol

I bought this game with launch, it's a very nice game imo.

A lot of people still believed that the PS3 target renders of Motorstorm, Killzone 2, etc... were actually real-time in-game demonstrations. When that was discovered to be bullshit and the PS3 actually launched with games that generally looked worse than 360 games and most people finally realized that the two consoles were pretty much equal in terms of graphical output, the Xbox 1.5 comments began to disappear.

Enron

Banned
So I just picked this game up at Sears in a clearance bin for 6 bucks new. I don't know if this game is that good or not (based on this thread I'd say yes) but its GOT to be worth six bucks!

Enron said:
So I just picked this game up at Sears in a clearance bin for 6 bucks new. I don't know if this game is that good or not (based on this thread I'd say yes) but its GOT to be worth six bucks!

6 bucks? Dang, bargain!

Cheapest 360 game I've seen in a bargain bin in the UK was King Kong for £4.83, and even that was pre-owned.

In terms of graphics pretty much nobody can touch Rare. They have always been ahead of the game in terms of graphics technology whether it be on NES, SNES, N64, GCN (Compared to other 1st/2nd gen titles) Xbox or 360 games (Again compared to other launch titles)

I just wish they hadn't had that staff walkout, oh back in the N64 days they were my favourite developer :( WHY GOD WHY?!

Xav

Rare have always been the best when it comes to pushing the hardware, not really sure what happened with Perfect Dark Zero. Interesting fact to those reading, Kameo was originally an N64 game. Banjo 3 should really be something special can't wait.

gkryhewy

I really liked Kameo, and this thread is making me want to pick it up again. Graphics/colors were astonishing (not brown!). Can't wait for Banjo.

Xav said:
Rare have always been the best when it comes to pushing the hardware, not really sure what happened with Perfect Dark Zero. Interesting fact to those reading, Kameo was originally an N64 game. Banjo 3 should really be something special can't wait.

Perfect Dark did some similarly excellent work with textures and parallax mapping. The art was the big mistake.

gkryhewy

Francias Castiglione said:
Perfect Dark did some similarly excellent work with textures and parallax mapping. The art was the big mistake.

It was so uneven though. Kameo doesn't have any of those "they forgot to update the generation of this asset" moments.

Kameo is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. Especially since A Rankings whooped my ass :D

Playing it again, it still holds up...plus, I got a buzz after finally nailing Forgotten Forest after 2 years :lol

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
MightyHealthy said:
Kameo is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. Especially since A Rankings whooped my ass :D

Playing it again, it still holds up...plus, I got a buzz after finally nailing Forgotten Forest after 2 years :lol
The A Rankings are so incredibly poorly implemented.

domlolz

Banned
Hmmm...
I thought Kameo was pretty ugly-although it's probably technically fantastic.It's a mess

I like colour in games(Super Mario Galaxy) but I thought Kameo was unslightly,I'm not sure what it was-the over saturation,the design or the plastic look of everything?

Viva Piñata on the other hand looks great

Top Bottom