• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Still Looks Lush!

Raistlin

Speevy said:
It's a mediocre game. But it looks decent on an HDTV. The art is horrible. The textures/shaders are eye-popping. The controls are wonky. The soundtrack is great.

Make a judgment call.

That's a bit hyperbolic don't you think? Its quite inconsistent, and at times bad ... but horrible? Not to mention, that at its best, its quite beautiful (even if it happens rarely lulz)

eXistor

Kameo's art is standard Rare stuff: ugly. Technically it's hot, but the designs are ugly as all hell as always. The game itself was pretty crappy too.

acm2000

this thread needs more

vevtbs.jpg

I think Kameo is a great looking game. Especially the parts involving war battles with tons of enemies on the screen. It has been well passed now by many games but it was an amazing looking launch title.

This game has great graphics, but terrible art design. I greatly dislike the "big heads and legs, tiny body" or "big body, tiny head" art style which apparently is popular with Rare. Is that because they decided their target audience hated realism?

BitchTits

It looks impressive, but I've never liked the art design. I tried the demo, I just didn't like the look of the characters etc.

I'm a graphics whore, so I really wanted to like this title, but the controls were so frustratingly bad.

The water creature is fucking miserable to play.

:(

Agent Icebeezy said:
The cool thing about Kameo, is that this was rushed software and they didn't even bother to touch all of what the 360 could do, even if it was inefficient coding, which I'm sure it was because Microsoft shipped final devkits in August of 2005.

This was taken from a presentation.

http://ati.amd.com/developer/brighton/07 Coding for Multiple Cores.pdf

72uukbn.jpg

They have one on PGR3 as well in that PDF.

It's also funny that they call particles graphical fluff in that pdf. Kameo had that in abundance. Banjo presumably won't have that much so a lot more resources should go to things that count.

Now this is interesting.

Unleash all that untapped power with Banjo Rare...do it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kameo is still one of the best looking games this gen.

Zefah said:
A lot of people still believed that the PS3 target renders of Motorstorm, Killzone 2, etc... were actually real-time in-game demonstrations. When that was discovered to be bullshit and the PS3 actually launched with games that generally looked worse than 360 games and most people finally realized that the two consoles were pretty much equal in terms of graphical output, the Xbox 1.5 comments began to disappear.

please show these to me

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
S1kkZ said:
"thats easy: every ps3 launch game." said the guy with the Halo avatar, while blinking two times with his beautiful, yet deadly eyes.
-

Weisheit

_Alkaline_ said:
kameo10sr5.jpg

At first i said HOLY SHIT

But then i realised it's a pic taken off a HD set and we all know that makes games look better than they do in real life.
It really does look that good though.

Kameo was really good and definitely my favorite launch title for the 360. Sure the underwater parts didn't control so hawt and some of the characters were a bit thin, but overall it was a really pretty looking and fun to play game.

Kibbles

_Alkaline_ said:
But then i realised it's a pic taken off a HD set and we all know that makes games look better than they do in real life.
Yeah, if you have a SD set. Otherwise your comment makes no sense at all.

Xenon

I really liked Kameo. It was a great showcase game and a perfect launch title.

Its a shame the controls are so unorthodox. I could see myself picking it up and playing more if I didn’t have to take the time to re-learn them.

Rare isn't really showing off thier Banjo & Kazooie graphics enegine that much. To me ight now kameo still looks better than Banjo 3 from what was shown so far..

JB1981

m0dus said:
"Mediocre?"

Speevy, give me a break. Crap like Prisoner of Azkeban is 'mediocre.' Kameo is not. It's actually a pretty good game, especially with the added coop play. As far as launch titles go, it's one of the ones that I personally enjoyed quite a bit. As far as any traditional 3-D action platormer goes, it is fairly run-of-the-mill without any glaring fatal flaws to make it 'mediocre' (although one undersea stage does stand out as particularly frustrating for some, it is extremely brief). The fact that the game looks so gorgeous (as far as lighting, shadow, texture, and an extremely well thought out color palette) elevates it quite nicely. It's at the very least worth the money anyone might spend fishing it out of the bargain bin, and it is certainly worth the investment of time it would take to finish it. that says alot more than some other 'high profile' releases which dropped this year.

The problem is that Rareware games truly bring out the trolls (no pun intended) and peoples opinions become so polarized that what IS there gets lost in the mess.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Revelations said:
Rare isn't really showing off thier Banjo & Kazooie graphics enegine that much. To me ight now kameo still looks better than Banjo 3 from what was shown so far..

You must not hve seen the latest Banjo HD video.

It blows Kameo away.

it was made to fool noobs. the art direction is horrible.
sure sign of bad taste.

it was made to wow us with overly pronounced bumpmapping and ugly ass effects.

barf

domlolz said:
Hmmm...
I thought Kameo was pretty ugly-although it's probably technically fantastic.It's a mess

I like colour in games(Super Mario Galaxy) but I thought Kameo was unslightly,I'm not sure what it was-the over saturation,the design or the plastic look of everything?

Viva Piñata on the other hand looks great

exactly

Woffls

Lets see how many years we can keep this thread being revived to see if it still holds true when this generation is up. Kameo still looks great because it exploits the things about visuals that are easiest to recognise and appreciate, that said, it doesn't matter how you make a game look this good. All that matters is that it's nearly 3 years old and I still want to go back and play it because it looks good.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
EagleEyes said:
Yes really. After watching the recent HD vids at ign no one in their right mind can say it doesn't look amazing.

Looks good, not that amazing. You want an amazing first gen game...let's talk Dead Rising. :D

GreekWolf

neight said:
Not really...
I'm all for varied opinions and unorthodox thinking, but I have a difficult time comprehending how anyone can genuinely believe this. It's nearly as asinine as those kooks who claim that Uncharted is an average looking game.

Chubigans, he was talking about Banjo. :p

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Hunter D said:
I remember when people would use this game to call the 360 xbox 1.5. How times have changed.

Yeah, I know, this is a great looking game still, but Banjo looks much better than this.

neight

Banned
GreekWolf said:
I'm all for varied opinions and unorthodox thinking, but I have a difficult time comprehending how anyone can genuinely believe this. It's nearly as asinine as those kooks who claim that Uncharted is an average looking game.

Chubigans, he was talking about Banjo. :p
Well Banjo goes for a more expansive environment which is probably why things aren't as detailed as in Kameo.

Kaemo is still one of the most impressive next gen titles.

Always honest. That is EXACTLY what Kameo looks like on an HDTV. The offscreen shots aren't making it look better that's just how good it really looks.

I can put the game in my 360 right now and get the same results. It's a beautiful game.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
BitchTits said:
It looks impressive, but I've never liked the art design. I tried the demo, I just didn't like the look of the characters etc.

Was that wii-mote in someones ass before the pic in your avatar was taken?
The fucking art design is the same as most games have been throughout all of Nintendo's hardware.

_Angelus_

Banned
Its got goofy characters but the world itself looks like wet gooey sex.
I slap it on my 360 from time to time for some good wrist action.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Angelus said:
Its got goofy characters but the world itself looks like wet gooey sex.
I slap it on my 360 from time to time for some good wrist action.

This, but without the weird masturbation stuff.

qirex99

Banned
Death_Born said:
This game has great graphics, but terrible art design. I greatly dislike the "big heads and legs, tiny body" or "big body, tiny head" art style which apparently is popular with Rare. Is that because they decided their target audience hated realism?

ummm...yeah!

she's a freakin' pixie that turns into different creatures!!

qirex99 said:
ummm...yeah!

she's a freakin' pixie that turns into different creatures!!

Not that kind of realism... because then every game ever made would have to be discounted....

No, I'm talking about how the ugly art style would have been better without that stupid cartoony design that's representative of every stereotypical depiction of a videogame. In this case, freaky disproportionate people and monsters = bad.

dk_

After I've seen all this screenshots, which recall the beauty of this game, I have to say that it's one of the prettiest games of this gen.

chubigans said:
Looks good, not that amazing. You want an amazing first gen game...let's talk Dead Rising. :D
Oh fucking yes. Let's make another thread. :D

jet1911 said:
The art style was atrocious but technically I was really impressed by PDZ.

Top Bottom