• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Still Looks Lush!

Very good looking title and the music was nice as well from what I've heard. Too bad the idea of playing as a girl who changes into a plant with boxing gloves on wasn't very popular. Sad to say that it would have sold much better if it was a guy with a sword. Deep down though, there's a little piece of me who still wants to check this title out. And Mario Sunshine as well.

sinnergy

2 years ago this game was used by some individuals to proof X360 was just Xbox 1.5.
How times have changed :lol

I bought this game with launch, it's a very nice game imo.

snoopers

I am multitalented
273_0001.jpg

273_0003.jpg

273_0005.jpg

273_0006.jpg

273_0004.jpg

273_0005.jpg

273_0008.jpg

WrikaWrek

Banned
It has amazing graphics to be sure, in some spots you could see it was a Xbox game at core, but some of the special effects, and the texturing were just wow

herod

sinnergy said:
2 years ago this game was used by some individuals to proof X360 was just Xbox 1.5.

Diminishing returns I guess. It rarely meets my expectations to this day, possibly because the old Xbox was so impressive?

Kifimbo

urk said:
Aside from the water levels, which are marred by an inexplicable control scheme, I thought Kameo was pretty fun.

I'm playing it for the first time right now and the water levels are truly horrible. Controlling Deep Blue underwater is a pain in the ass.

I also didn't like the beggining of the game. They throw you in some intense battles with different characters to use and the controls aren't intuitive at all at first. It reminded me of God of War II, where you start with god-like Kratos and with tons of moves and special attacks. The thing is, in GoW II, you knew how to control Kratos because you probably played the first GoW.

With that said, the game is still fun and visually nice.

Chao

It looked way too much like plastic most of the time. Glad that Rare tuned down the specular lights a little on Viva Piñata.

KINGMOKU

The game does look great(It looks great on my dads RCA 32' tube in 480p) but I always harken back to the game itself. It plays exactly like a RARE-esque game from the past 20years it seems like. Get this, to do that, get a new power to open up new areas, hit the shadow guy 3 times, e.t.c.

It gets boring, and familiar REAL quick. Looks great though.

acm2000

ffs gaf, this thread disappoints, we're on the 3rd page, and not one single fanboy has posted R&C screenshot to try derail the thread :<

edit: for the record, i had this game, played through it for the achievements, was quite fun, but im not a fan of platformers, however its a great show of texturing effects and techniques tho

jet1911

g23 said:
Lets not forgot the other launch title rare launched with! (Which shared the technologies used in kameo)

Perfect%20Dark%20Zero.jpg

The art style was atrocious but technically I was really impressed by PDZ.

v0yce

moku said:
The game does look great(It looks great on my dads RCA 32' tube in 480p) but I always harken back to the game itself. It plays exactly like a RARE-esque game from the past 20years it seems like. Get this, to do that, get a new power to open up new areas, hit the shadow guy 3 times, e.t.c.

What other Rare game has combat (which I would say is the focus of the game) even close to Kameo?

KINGMOKU

v0yce said:
What other Rare game has combat (which I would say is the focus of the game) even close to Kameo?
Are you kidding? All of them. Star Fox, Jet Force, e.t.c.

Its a TIRED formula. I dont want to get things to open up areas anymore. I dont want to have to fight the "boss" with a certain guy to get at his weaknesses. Been there done that, a BILLION times.

v0yce

moku said:
Are you kidding? All of them. Star Fox, Jet Force, e.t.c.

Its a TIRED formula. I dont want to get things to open up areas anymore. I dont want to have to fight the "boss" with a certain guy to get at his weaknesses. Been there done that, a BILLION times.

You mean Jet Force the ... shooter?

GameGamer

sinnergy said:
How times have changed :lol

I bought this game with launch, it's a very nice game imo.

You have to remember that Sony still had a fear grip on the press back then.

No one was going to call this next gen because Sony assured everyone that when their system was released, it would rule over all.

The majority of the gaming press did not want to look like fools, so they downplayed a lot of great games early on.

Oneself

The controls underwater were fine, I never understood the complaints. And it's still the best looking "underwater level" ever.

Falagard

GameGamer said:

No one was going to call this next gen because Sony assured everyone that when their system was released, it would rule over all.

The majority of the gaming press did not want to look like fools, so they downplayed a lot of great games early on.

QFT

master15

Even though I haven't played Kameo, Rare showed earlier with Starfox Adventures, they really know how to push a system.

Looking at some of the lush colours and vivid style of the Kameo screens, I'm a little bit sad we will probably never get a next-genertion Jet Force Gemini title :(

[Nintex]

GameGamer said:

Back then people believed in the early PS3 tech demos and they also thought that the Revolution would be on par with the Xbox 360.. how times have changed.

Anyway are PDZ(the demo sucked apart from the MP) and Kameo worth 20 euros each?
Does anyone care to do a PDZ love thread, or did that one really suck.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
[Nintex] said:
Back then people believed in the early PS3 tech demos and they also thought that the Revolution would be on par with the Xbox 360.. how times have changed.

Anyway are PDZ and Kameo worth 20 euros each?

PDZ is decent. It has no auto aim, but it is an alright game.

Falagard

It's a bit of platformer, a bit of fighting and a bit of adventure/rpg with puzzle elements. Each level typically has enemies to defeat, minor puzzles, platforming and boss battles.

Your can transform into different elementals at any time, each having their own powers which are used for fighting as well as puzzle solving. There's a matrix style slow motion ability used frequently.

Many people don't know this, but there's also an idea of getting your combo multiplier up before going into slow motion, and if it's high enough new enemies appear only when you've activated slow motion, who are only visible when in slow motion. These enemies move at regular speed like you do when in slow motion, and give you really high points when you kill them. The higher your combo multiplier, the more enemies appear when you're in slow mo.

You're given a score when you beat a level, and the only way to get an "A" is to kill those dudes.

v0yce

Anerythristic said:
Describe the gameplay in a couple of words for me. Is it a platformer or action game , it looks like a brawler to me.

Its defiantely action/adventure. Like I said, I'd argue that combat was the central focus of the game. They even released combo tip vids on XBL. I think the game has a healthy case of mistaken identity.

[Nintex] said:
Anyway are PDZ(the demo sucked apart from the MP) and Kameo worth 20 euros each?

I thoght PDZ was okay at the time. But it was pretty forgetable overall. And at this point and time I can't really see picking it up with so many other better shooters out there.

But I'd say Kameo is easily worth it if you're not turned off by the visual style and what not. Lots of fun to be had. Although its short.

Gattsu25

Banned
Speevy said:
It's a mediocre game. But it looks decent on an HDTV. The art is horrible. The textures/shaders are eye-popping. The controls are wonky. The soundtrack is great.

Make a judgment call.
I played the demo last night that that perfectly describes my brief impression of it.

My brother bought it when it first came out...but I honestly don't remember much, if anything, about it.

phil_fish

i think everything about that game is incredibly uninspired, derivative and boring.

its all technical.
its just shaders and tons of clones.
just because they could.
rare is guilty of the same crimes on PDZ.
Kameo had better artistic direction, but its still terrible by any standards worth having.

crap.

hadareud

The Translator
phil_fish said:
i think everything about that game is incredibly uninspired, derivative and boring.

its all technical.
just because they could.
Kameo had better artistic direction, but its still terrible by any standards worth having.

crap.
bollocks

Walshicus

phil_fish said:

its all technical.
just because they could.

crap.

Hillary Clinton to Vladimir Putin = Me to you.

Agent Icebeezy said:
PDZ is decent. It has no auto aim, but it is an alright game.

Then why is there an auto-aim option in the game's options? I rather think that what many people have problems with is the absence of Halo's "sticky reticule", which makes the cursor move slower when moving over an enemy.

if anyone picks up PDZ, I'll play online co-op with them.

damn the haters, I loved the game, shitty storyline/characters/voice acting and all!

mr_nexus

Banned
Pros:
+Awesome graphics to showcase the 360
+Short but fun

Cons:
-Uninspiring art direction
-Annoying control scheme

It was definitely worth the greatest hits price. Can't wait to see what else Rare has coming.

Xapati

[Nintex] said:

I dunno if PDZ is worth it anymore. The single player is bad, and I would imagine the multiplayer community is dead by now. The only really good thing is it has bots, so you can either play with friends if you have them, or you can create a game online and wait for people to come in (they replace the bots).

a.wd

a Master Ninja said:
Rare's graphics engines are very impressive at technical level. Viva Pinata is still one of the best looking console games.

Quoted for insane amounts of wisdom and knowledge

Besides I fuckin love rare

clashfan

Guybrush Threepwood said:
hey guys heres a trick 2 see kameos panties rly good its soo hot

1. go 2 co-op
2. before you actually start go to options and make it so both characters can go through each other (i forget the actual option sry)
3. make one player go into the other player and press the crouch button
4. look up 2 see the panties

Can you post pics of the panties?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Anerythristic said:
Describe the gameplay in a couple of words for me. Is it a platformer or action game , it looks like a brawler to me.

It's a Zelda Adventure type game. There is absolutely NOTHING to even remotely suggest it's a platformer.
I counted all the times you needed to jump from a platform in the game, about 2 to 3 times in the entire game.

moku said:

I can't believe you'd say that & have a Mario Sunshine avatar.
If anything the game structure was almost a carbon copy of Zelda.
RARE-esque my ass.

-Large overworld connecting several themed towns.
-Each town leads into the next dungeon.
-Each town has several unique different side quests/puzzles.
-massive 1000 enemy on-screen battles.
-Heavyly based on combat, you think Star Fox Adventure had a part where you were taking on 20 enemies at once & doing 50 hit combos?

Top Bottom