• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keeping your PS5 vertical might cause some issues, as reported by some users, with specific faults. Sometimes.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Nice PSA. I never really trusted upright Consoles, lol. Always was the kind of thing that scared me tbh, like if it could tip over and fall off or if the disc inside would fall inside the hardware
This is pretty lame. This is a special case and you use it to back justify some ignorant bias. Most electronics do not give a fuck about the direction of gravity relative to their orientation. Keep not trusting shit that is perfectly normal and finding the one case where your nonsense view is "justified" because that is great.

coffinbirth

No it isn't.
tumblr_md63wpnP1d1rjggnyo2_400.gif

Mine has been vertical since day 1 and never had issues. Then again, I don't use it as much. But honestly, I never had issues with any consoles I've ever bought.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Mine has been vertical since day 1 and never had issues. Then again, I don't use it as much. But honestly, I never had issues with any consoles I've ever bought.

Yeah as he said some people may never have issues, but it doesn’t mean you won’t either

The Shepard

Not really. Xbox's Red Ring of Death actually took about two years to manifest. Hardware can develop issues over time. In the case of this thread, though, reads like it's a 1 in a million issue, so not really much to be concerned about.

That's not true, my launch model 360 got the rrod and it was all over the net at that time as I was trying to look for fixes. This was in early 2006.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This is a special case and you use it to back justify some ignorant bias.
yep like all humans do. I'm gonna keep being distrustful of vertical hardware now.

If you wanna keep your PS5 or Xbox in vertical position that's fine, i just don't like the idea. it's not something you should get angry at me about

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'm not saying that it is a different console but what if it is? How can anyone say that it is not a different one?

oh come on, do you even watch the guys channel? he has done assorts to PS5's. he was able to remove the SSD controller and recall it and fit it on a broken PS5 and got it to work.

Thebonehead

Banned
I'm not saying that it is a different console but what if it is? How can anyone say that it is not a different one?

It's clear you haven't watched the video in question. TronicsFix commented saying it was nice work

Wow...nice work man! That's a tough repair. So glad you showed how difficult this type of job is. Really good work.

The guy does BGA reballs by hand, instead of using a stencil loads of the time. I couldn't even begin to contemplate how frustrated I'd be if I even attempted it manually.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's clear you haven't watched the video in question. TronicsFix commented saying it was nice work

The guy does BGA reballs by hand, instead of using a stencil loads of the time. I couldn't even begin to contemplate how frustrated I'd be if I even attempted it manually.

I honestly don't even know why somebody would think he would fake something like that when it would be easily called out by the other guy if he was

DanEON

It's funny to see people coming here and saying "vertical since day one and no issue" if it would prove the guy is wrong.
Using your console vertically will increase the chances of getting the problem. It's just like smoking, it increases the chances of getting cancer.

Last edited:
Since November 12th 2020 mine has always been vertical

Since November my series x haIt was designed to stand vertical so I highly doubt that even 1% of users will experience this type of malfunction. Plus you can't lay the PS5 horizontal, it looks like a beached whale with albinism.
No, its looks more like an orca...and i love it...

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
the Cod3r guy has now successfully swapped the SSD controller and and SSD chip and got it working, means all aspects now of PS5 should be repairable

This is pretty lame. This is a special case and you use it to back justify some ignorant bias. Most electronics do not give a fuck about the direction of gravity relative to their orientation. Keep not trusting shit that is perfectly normal and finding the one case where your nonsense view is "justified" because that is great.
But the point here is that the Liquid Metal will flow towards the direction gravity is pointing and the chamber sealing it could potentially leak as the seal wears with the thermals that PS5 handles. Still, I struggle to believe that such a flaw would be ignored by Sony since it is clear that it was designed to be standing in a vertical positions while the horizontal orientation looks more like an after thought.

Kusarigama

I haven't watched the video yet. And I am not saying that is he is faking it. I am being cautious is all.

Thebonehead

Banned
For what it's worth I watch a fair few Electronics repair videos, including the console ones.

From looking at the ones with liquid metal where it shouldn't be, It normally goes hand in hand with a broken HDMI port which generally means one thing... It's been knocked over.

That'a why my stuff sits horizontally. I have a mega happy dog ( Wagging tail ) and stuff goes flying

It's funny to see people coming here and saying "vertical since day one and no issue" if it would prove the guy is wrong.
Using your console vertically will increase the chances of getting the problem. It's just like smoking, it increases the chances of getting cancer.
It's funny to see people coming here and saying this is an issue and being vertical will increase the chances of getting the problem. How many cases of this has he seen? How many PS5s are used vertically?

Vertical since day one, and no issue.

Fair play to the guy though. The traffic on his youtube has increased.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not concerned by this one bit, its going to be touching the sides whether its horizontal or vertical.

when its horizontal its flat though and can evenly distribute but when its vertical the Liquid Metal will follow gravity. like he said it increases chances of it happening but he did say it may not effect some as well. if you watch enough of his videos you will see Liquid Metal leakage on a fair few consoles he takes apart but as somebody easier pointed out they could of been knocked or dropped

Just to be safe. I putting everything HORIZONTAL,My pc (like the old days ) , ps5, MY TV. Everything is going horizontal to be safe.
Yeah it would be strange if you put your TV vertical In your livingroom.

Except your TV in your bedroom when you put it vertical you can lying on your side in bed that would be ideal, or when you lying on your back in your bed you can put your TV on the sealing...😋

Last edited:

Skifi28

This 1 video spread to so many sites, videos, tiktok like it's common issue 🫤
That's not bad. If there is an issue (which I don't believe there is for the record), it's best to spread the word and have it reach the ears of those it should asap. Either to dismiss it or investigate and make an official statement. Imagine a scenario where everybody ignored the RROD for years.

Top Bottom