• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kemcos great list of releases

Neo_GAF

Banned
can someone explain what is actually going on with kemco? i remember playing their top gear rally game on n64, afterwards they went under the radar, at least for me. the first time i heard again from them was 2012 when i purchased an ipad and saw dozens of rpgs in the appstore. most of them being bland 2d-rpgs with stupid controls which is why i never cared for them until... well yesterday. i saw games from them in the e-shop. then i saw games from them today in the ID@games sale on xbox and wondered, what the hell? i didnt know, that they also released these rehashed 2d-rpgs on consoles too?

has anyone played them? are they any good?
they just release so many of them, how is anyone remotely interested in them able to play all of them?
are they distinctively connected?
what is going on? are they on crack?

I've played a couple of their RPG's before via Android, Alphadia Genesis is the only one I properly remember but that was yonks ago on mobile. From what i recall though most of their RPG games are quite similar so that probably explains those

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They pump out new PRGs using basically the same RPG-Maker style engine, and they seem to sell enough to keep making more.

It doesn't make them good games though.

mejin

The McDonald’s of jrpgs
michaelscott-haha.gif

I ate a shitload of beans and I'm about to shart out a whole fucka rpgs. Prepare yourself for Assdivine Sharts 2 on iOS 2022!

The first Asdivine Hearts is very very generic but the dialog is sometimes amusing and the battle system isn't terrible. Also the character designs for the females are off the charts. I'm not even going to bother playing the sequels or other 500 Asdivine games, but I don't feel like I really wasted my time playing the first.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They will always have a loving place in my heart for porting Shadowgate, Deju Vu, and Uninvited to the NES

But yeah, they're pretty ridiculous these days.

CamHostage

i didnt know, that they also released these rehashed 2d-rpgs on consoles too?

has anyone played them? are they any good?
they just release so many of them, how is anyone remotely interested in them able to play all of them?
are they distinctively connected?
what is going on? are they on crack?

So, you'll recognize the name "Kemco", but check the credits and you'll see that much of their library comes from Japanese developer Exe-Create (they also have titles from Hit-Point and RideOn,) with some indies in the mix too, and I believe no new titles created by an internal Kemco development team. (Also, strangely, no games from Kemco franchises... and no racing games, for better or worse.)

Exe-Create has decades of experience in the business (they made a Dreamcast RPG called Sorcerian,) but nothing great or breakthrough as far as I know, and at some point they transitioned into being a factory for old-school (...or maybe just) RPGs for mobile platforms and web systems like the old Yahoo Japan gaming portal. Eventually, they started flipping those games from phones onto consoles, and after a while, they started doing concurrent releases between phones and consoles/PC.

And no, sorry, never played one.

They're all cheap, so maybe one's worth a try? I'd kind of recommend something like the Alphadia series, because if you happen to like the first one, you'll get a little whiff of nostalgia of gaming history of going from 16-bit-style 2D to 3D if you keep going through the sequels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom