• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Levine next game isn’t BioShock, but features ‘some weird sh*t’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Asked during a Gamelab Live panel on Wednesday if he was returning to the BioShock universe with his next game, Levine confirmed he was not.

Last year publisher 2K said that work had begun on a new entry in the BioShock franchise at its newly announced Cloud Chamber studio, but Levine is not involved.

“I think that they’ve announced that there’s going to be [a new game], but I’m working on my own thing,” the writer and designer said on Wednesday. “I think I sort of said what I wanted to say about it, so I wanted to do something a little different.”

Commenting on the project during the Gamelab stream, Levine suggested the project would feature some outlandish elements.

“I can’t really talk about the new game but there’s some weird shit in it,” he said. “I think if you don’t have people saying, ‘that sounds a little insane’, you haven’t gone close enough to the edge.

“Because the great stuff exists on the edge of ‘over the top’ and ‘just OK’ [and] sometimes you’ve got to push past the point and make something outrageous and ridiculous, then pull it back.”

He added: “But if you don’t go to the outrageous and ridiculous, you never know where that boundary is… that means you’ve got to go into the office sometimes, tell people things, and they’re going to look at your like you’re insane, and then you sort of bring it back to something that you can actually accomplish.”

Jordon Thomas – who worked across all three BioShock games as a writer, designer and creative director – has said he hopes the fourth game in the series takes an original approach and is “unbound” by the past.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's been over 7+ years already. Fuckin' when, Ken?

giphy.gif

I'm goddamn tired of waiting.

Last edited:

Aidah

I've replayed some of his games recently. It reminded me of how interested I am in what he's going to make next.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The crazy thing is his next game still seems a few years off yet. I thought I read somewhere that Ghost Story Games was recently starting to staff up to go into full production.

7 years since Bioshock Infinite...

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I will play anything his team makes. Its been strange going a full generation with nothing from them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I mean, if it's a "Shock" like game, I'm all about it. Hoping for more creepy/horror vibes.

I thought I saw an interview where he said he was jealous of multiplayer games having players attention for months and years, and he wanted to see if he could do something similar with single player games. Said his next game featured gameplay mechanics like Shadow of Wars nemesis system only on steroids.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I thought I saw an interview where he said he was jealous of multiplayer games having players attention for months and years, and he wanted to see if he could do something similar with single player games. Said his next game featured gameplay mechanics like Shadow of Wars nemesis system only on steroids.
Oh no shit? I didn't know that at all. I'm ALL about that, haha. I absolutely loved the nemesis system!

Top Bottom