• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena Bridge of Spirits Review Thread

I'm done with it. Know it's only short, but fuck is it a grind. I can't finish it, and I hate leaving games unfinished. This is the biggest case of smoke and mirrors I've seen in a long time - hide a bang average, by the numbers game behind some (admittedly very nice) CGI and watch the fansites hype it to oblivion.

The gaming equivalent of pointing and saying 'look over there' to distract you. 6/10. I hate myself for getting sucked into the hype :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think everyone can agree that this is an incredible start for the studio. groundbreaking visuals get you a long way and couple that with decent gameplay and you Have a winner.
can’t wait to see what they do next and hopefully it’s a sequel with a huge budget.

I'm done with it. Know it's only short, but fuck is it a grind. I can't finish it, and I hate leaving games unfinished. This is the biggest case of smoke and mirrors I've seen in a long time - hide a bang average, by the numbers game behind some (admittedly very nice) CGI and watch the fansites hype it to oblivion.

The gaming equivalent of pointing and saying 'look over there' to distract you. 6/10. I hate myself for getting sucked into the hype :messenger_tears_of_joy:
This year has been so bizarre in terms of little games getting 9-10s scores across the board, it's like covid is an excuse to put 2 or even 3 to some games extra points on top. Disgusting.

lukilladog

I was given a chance to play a couple of hours, it is pretty dull overall, combat doesn't feel natural, World is pretty but still Boring, companions are nice but generic... There is always this feeling that something is missing, like playing one of those 1995 platformers no one cares about. Would not get even for free.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You can find all collectibles on the first run through an area so you don't really need to traverse and revisit them. In that way they don't feel overly barren.
Personally I'd say combat makes up the biggest portion of the game and does a good job of introducing new enemies and power ups to make it feel fresh throughout.

Unless you count finding all collectibles as a sidequest I would say no. 100%ing the map and completing the story took me roughly 14 hours.
Lol thanks for the infos but you are a bit too late, i already bought the game :lollipop_grinning_sweat: :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The more I see of this game the more it appeals to me. What I really like is the art style and the world, so I don't really care how high the in-game graphics are. I'm glad to see it's getting good reviews and it seems most people playing it really enjoy the game.

Do we know definitively if it's a permanent PS/PC exclusive or is it timed and will it eventually come to Xbox?

Phase

The more I see of this game the more it appeals to me. What I really like is the art style and the world, so I don't really care how high the in-game graphics are. I'm glad to see it's getting good reviews and it seems most people playing it really enjoy the game.

Do we know definitively if it's a permanent PS/PC exclusive or is it timed and will it eventually come to Xbox?
It's a timed exclusive, so it'll come to xbox eventually. Idk how long the deal is though.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's a timed exclusive, so it'll come to xbox eventually. Idk how long the deal is though.
Thank you, that's great news! I'd really like to play this game eventually.

I'm fine with waiting for it, there are too many games I want to play right now anyway, maybe it will even come to Game Pass by the time Xbox gets it.

Thank you, that's great news! I'd really like to play this game eventually.

I'm fine with waiting for it, there are too many games I want to play right now anyway, maybe it will even come to Game Pass by the time Xbox gets it.

I suppose it could change if Sony buys the studio (which they should imho).

but yeah phenomenal game, if you like Team ICO, PS2 era adventure games, and even Souls titles it would be right up your alley

definitely in my top 3 this year

mcjmetroid

Anyone getting jerky performance with this? As in my frame rate is great but I dunno it seems to chug a lot loading new areas etc?

No drop in frames. Tried reducing the settings the usual.

I had this issue With Jedi fallen order as well.

DarthPutin

Lovely game, but I REALLY don't understand how to jump over chasms, lol. Any tips, even if obvious ones? I try double jumping, and like 8 out of 10 times I fail, then I succeed, and still no idea why. So annoying.
Combat is difficult (for me) but fun, jumping and running around, and there is always Story Mode, but no help with this crap.

Phase

Lovely game, but I REALLY don't understand how to jump over chasms, lol. Any tips, even if obvious ones? I try double jumping, and like 8 out of 10 times I fail, then I succeed, and still no idea why. So annoying.
Combat is difficult (for me) but fun, jumping and running around, and there is always Story Mode, but no help with this crap.
Try sprinting first into the jump, then wait a little longer in the air before double jumping. If you double jump early you barely go any further. Basically try to get as far as you can with the first jump before you press jump again.

Last edited:

DarthPutin

Thank you very much, I'll try! It's not really fun for me, like 'getting gud" with fighting, just annoying... Wish there were alternative routes.

nowhat

Thank you very much, I'll try! It's not really fun for me, like 'getting gud" with fighting, just annoying... Wish there were alternative routes.
I was surprised how combat-heavy the game really is. But here's the thing - if you don't enjoy the combat, just turn down the difficulty. No one will know.

DarthPutin

No, I actually enjoy combat, I try on normal with knowledge that I can always switch to super easy, and even in Story Mode you have some fun lightweight combat. Most importantly, I understand what I'm supposed to do and why I fail.
But I can't for the life of me to figure out this jumping thing. It's clearly not supposed to be difficult... Feels like when it works, it's pure luck.

Man, are some of these bosses hard. I'm stuck on Corrupted Taro, now. I think what makes it so hard is there seems to be little time gap in what will let you avoid a hit. Like literally a fraction of a second. Too early and they auto aim and hit you. Which I guess is fine, but what I hate is hitting it a split second too late and the animation looks like they shouldn't hit you, yet they still do.

Last edited:

Phase

Man, are some of these bosses hard. I'm stuck on Corrupted Taro, now. I think what makes it so hard is there seems to be little time gap in what will let you avoid a hit. Like literally a fraction of a second. Too early and they auto aim and hit you. Which I guess is fine, but what I hate is hitting it a split second too late and the animation looks like they shouldn't hit you, yet they still do.
Yeah, luckily their move sets are small. You'll start timing parries and dodges perfectly before long.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Played the game for like 3 hours on hard and it is pretty good.

Tips against bosses, use the rot hammer, it does a lot of damage to them and it's a ranged attack.

I have almost no problem with the jank, and if anyone think that this game is somehow more janky than a bethesda or ubisoft title, then think again...

Sony or M need to buy this studios and give them more money/men.

Last edited:

Phase

Played the game for like 3 hours and it is pretty good.

Tips against bosses, use the rot hammer, it does a lot of damage to them and it's a ranged attack.

I have almost no problem with the jank, and if anyone think that this game is somehow more janky than a bethesda or ubisoft title, then think again...

Sony or M need to buy this studios and give them more money/men.
Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Just finished the game. Forgot I had the rot hammer the whole time.

yeah the combat feels great but the balance is way off

struggling more than with demons souls

mainly because parry windows are tiny, and you can easily get hit successively multiple times in a row for making one mistake or not shielding at the rught

then you have the minions that spawn and healing by finding a plant

it’s way too unforgiving. I like that it’s a challenge but had to change to easy mode when I got to corrupted woodsmith boss. felt like I was going to get carpel tunnel syndrome after fighting that boss. Constantly having to dodge or shield, or throw bombs or arrow…all of my fingers are moving non stop. He was like flamelurker on steroids

it also doesn’t help that it’s hard to know where the arrow weakspots are. They are tiny. And sometimes impossible to aim at with bosses that move so quickly

but they are all very impressively choreographed

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Its not clicking with me and I'm gutted. I was hooked from the moment it was unveiled, going as far as to buy a ps5 or Xbox had it not been announced for the pc too. I'm just finding it so bland and lifeless and well, dull. I enjoyed the first few hours but boredom then set in, I restarted it all over being familiar with the mechanics, etc hoping it might be that bit more enjoyable as I've often done with games I struggle to like but again, its just not clicking with me.

Oh well, onto the next game on the list then :messenger_pensive:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The minions during boss fights serve the purpose of recharging your rot meter, also the bow with infinite ammo, every shot is a bit of rot.

Fighting the corrupted taro rigth now and having a blast, my major grip is the lock on\camera but nothing that i didn't already say in souls game et similia.

The roll\short spear combo somehow reminds me of horizon, kinda...

mainly because parry windows are tiny, and you can easily get hit successively multiple times in a row for making one mistake or not shielding at the rught

it’s way too unforgiving. I like that it’s a challenge but had to change to easy mode when I got to corrupted woodsmith boss. felt like I was going to get carpel tunnel syndrome after fighting that boss. Constantly having to dodge or shield, or throw bombs or arrow…all of my fingers are moving non stop. He was like flamelurker on steroids

it also doesn’t help that it’s hard to know where the arrow weakspots are. They are tiny. And sometimes impossible to aim at with bosses that move so quickly

Yea, definitely more unforgiving then some Souls games when it comes to dodge/block windows. Though, thinking back I remember trying a lot of "kids" games back on the SNES and PS1/PS2 and finding them just as hard, or harder than, some games aimed at older gamers. Always remember yelling, "How the Hell is an 8 year old supposed to beat this when I can't?" Guess the answer is they aren't. They just get to a point where they can't progress any further and move on to the next game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yea, definitely more unforgiving then some Souls games when it comes to dodge/block windows. Though, thinking back I remember trying a lot of "kids" games back on the SNES and PS1/PS2 and finding them just as hard, or harder than, some games aimed at older gamers. Always remember yelling, "How the Hell is an 8 year old supposed to beat this when I can't?" Guess the answer is they aren't. They just get to a point where they can't progress any further and move on to the next game.
Yeah, old games were brutal, this shit is cakewalk city in comparison.

Bartski

Gold Member

They did increase parry window it seems in 1.06

Not sure about the weak spots, to me they were just right... You have the R3 slow-mo for quick moving targets but also infinite slow-mo when aiming in air, the trick is to always jump before shooting this will save you many times later

tommib

It's quite hilarious that a game that that looks all cute and kid-friendly sounds harder than Demon's Souls.I kind of love that. I won't buy it any time soon - backlog is immense - but I do love my hard games. Didn't you finish Returnal? And you had to switch Kena to easy? Love it. :D

Quasicat

I am working through it as I really love the idea and gameplay behind it; but the camera constantly wants to look up. At first, I thought the game wanted me to notice something special, but it happens constantly. Then I ran into a glitch last night that autosaved over the Red River.
How frustrating:

Ogbert

So, finished the game.

Overall, a fine start. There is much to like about the game. The combat takes off after about five hours; especially when you receive the 4th upgrade. This upgrade, without spoiling anything, is a worthy mechanic to build the game around.

However, it *did* start to drag. For the next game, there needs to be significantly more gameplay variety. I also struggled with the controls. It felt almost like a technical problem; for example, performing the rot hammer in the middle of a fight was surprisingly fiddly.

Oddly enough, they nailed some of the more complicated things, but floundered on the basic ingredients. The basic jump animation is really poor, likewise the standard attack.

Anyway, looking forward to the follow up.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Really enjoying the game, this is the type of adventure/platformer game i want. I didnt expect it to be open world. Can you go back and get collectibles after the story ends?

Shakka43

Really enjoying the game, this is the type of adventure/platformer game i want. I didnt expect it to be open world. Can you go back and get collectibles after the story ends?
Yes the whole map is accessible at all times and none of the collectibles are missable.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Are the hats for the rots only a cosmetic thing? it seems like a waste...
Yeah I thought they coulda added more than hats. Maybe a sequel will have upgrades or other collectibles.
also who thought it was a good idea to name these cute little guys “Rot”

HotPocket69

Banned
Yeah the rot hammer and the rot upgrade that gives you one rot power use entering a battle are absolute musts early on. I didn’t have the latter for the Taro fight and it hurt bad.

Arun1910

Currently really enjoying the game. World looks amazing, combat scenarios are really fun when you unlock more moves and string together parry attacks with the rot moves.

Voice actress for Kena is really good too and the story is simple but still fun to play through. Has a really charming vibe to it.

They did increase parry window it seems in 1.06

Not sure about the weak spots, to me they were just right... You have the R3 slow-mo for quick moving targets but also infinite slow-mo when aiming in air, the trick is to always jump before shooting this will save you many times later

Well my problem is that many of those weakpoints on the boss are small, and they are on their back, and they only reveal their back for very brief moments. It is very hard to capture them for that boss in particular.

It's quite hilarious that a game that that looks all cute and kid-friendly sounds harder than Demon's Souls.I kind of love that. I won't buy it any time soon - backlog is immense - but I do love my hard games. Didn't you finish Returnal? And you had to switch Kena to easy? Love it. :D

Yeah I beat Returnal, died way more with the bosses in Kena than any of them in Returnal.

It's very fun! I just didn't want my hand to feel like it was going to get injured by repeatedly playing these boss sections that basically demand constant hand engagement. Unfortunately easy is way too easy now, so I kind of regret it.

Anyways this is still in my top 3 this year and MAY be my GOTY. I can't decide if I like it better than Returnal or not. Both games really are my type of game though. I love old school puzzle/platforming/action/metroidvania/Souls and Kena is basically all of this wrapped up in a magical Nintendo/Disney like aesthetic.

The pacing is really incredible and never a dull moment, just want to continue playing. I really hope this team takes the foundational design work and makes a grander adventure on the scale of something like Zelda because it would really be a huge franchise if they could do that.

The Shepard

Completed it and collected everything. Would like a more fleshed out sequel with more skills especially for traversal and deeper combat. Maybe put masks on and change your character and abilities like in majoras mask, Can see some of that games influence in the game. For a first game by the studio it's pretty solid.

I caved and got it. Have $100 gift card I have to spend before the end of October.
Its definitely fun enough to be enjoyable. So I dont regret my purchase so far. But man, the story and dialogue is kinda killing me. People act like Nintendo is for kids, but its really just universal appeal. This story feels like its literally for kids and melts my brain to listen to. I dont like the design of the rot or the humans. The art style is very good on everything but the characters. Lots of pretty forest vistas.

The jumping feels really good actually. Shame there really are a ton of invisible barriers on basic items like logs, boxes, etc. Combst feels okay. Its kind of sluggish and unresponsive after using the shield. Im parrying pretty easily and playing on hard.

The game is certainly pretty. I still think its massively exaggerated though how insane it is. It looks like a PC fan demo for Zelda or something with better foliage. Using L1 to light up things is fun and well done, but gets a little repetitive.

Overall, I'd totally recommend it so far for the $40 price. Its polished and fun. Not in the running for GOTY for me at all but its enjoyable so far.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Don’t let the cute appearance of Kena Bridge of Spirits deceive you, combat in this game is tougher than it looks, especially on its harder difficulties. So I’m here to give you a few general strategies and tips as you progress through the game to help you out. And we will be spoiler friendly.

In this video we teach you different combat tips including: making sure to use your bow, jumping to dodge, parrying, rot infused bombs, and much more. Watch as Max gives you these high level combat tips and the best way to use them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom