• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena Bridge of Spirits Review Thread

I’ve cancelled my pre-order. I’m not playing any 7/10 games

Speaking of, when are the reviews are dropping? Day of launch? Another red flag. Abort. Abort!

Yeah this is just a 2-5 h game max that's boringly easy based on all the gameplay I've seen. I doubt the story is amazing to carry it. How much are they asking for the game again?

One day before release? Short duration? This sounds concerning.

Pretty pricey for a game that can be clocked in 6 hours. €20-25 would have been sufficient.

Where there's smoke there's dumpster fire. 6/10 confirmed.

Probably because while pretty, it‘s a short mediocore game.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Game length is all over the place right now. I'm interested in how long it takes to get 100%.
If the main story is about 8-12 hours depending on the person and difficulty, I'd imagine the game is 15-20 hours long.

There are collectibles to find and there's some optional stuff to do.

I forgot about this. And it's only $40 - cool. Is it unlocked yet on the PS5?

Out now on PS5.

Last edited:

elliot5

Sounds about what I expected. Gameplay is ok but nothing new. Carried hard by its graphics and presentation, which is fine. A good first start

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I wish the in-game graphics remained as good as the cutscenes but I know I'm just being picky at that point.
I think they're really close, I took this from Twitter. It looks fantastic!

4heiUyI.jpg

Fredrik

Any insight if this game is better on PS5 or PC?
Yeah I need to know this too. DF, halp!
If it’s a good console version then this is the type of game I would rather play on PS5 than PC, I don’t have living room PC and this seems like a nice game to play with the kids.

elliot5

Some of you on here love taking Ls don't you?

First Deathloop was gonna be bad for overmarketing.

Then Kena was gonna be bad for undermarketing.

Now it turns out that both were amazing games after all 😂

Chelsea Fc Lol GIF by BBC
I'm sure 10/10s for this game won't be questioned as hard for some reason 🥸

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I debated, but decided to go PS5 over PC for the 4K and HDR. Man I really need a new monitor for my PC.

Ozriel

M$FT
It certainly looks better than any Nintendo games for sure, but gameplay wise it seems completely derivative and unimaginative. Eurogamer review was especially critical of this.

i have often found complaints about stuff being ‘derivative’ and ‘unimaginative’ to be lazy. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel every single time. And like someone mentioned above, many favored devs and publishers are not given this treatment.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Now i got myself a fucking soystation i think il pick this up at somepoint. Just starting the process of relocating so not in the mood to play anything to indepth if I do get any time to play so this could be perfect.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I don’t really consider BOTW shrines much of a dungeon though…
Botw game has 5 dungeons/divine beasts and 120+ shrines, plus all the side quests. Kena looks amazing but it's nothing like botw or any zelda game in terms of design. This is more like a normal action adventure game, we don't have much of that genre anymore so I'm happy with this. I still don't understand why people are trying to compare this to zelda.

Last edited:
Anyone get the Digital Deluxe edition? Does that staff do anything gameplay wise or is it all cosmetic?

Deciding on regular or deluxe version.
Think it's cosmetic? Idk, haven't really tested to see if it's a little stronger or not. But I got the Deluxe for the soundtrack. It's really good.

i have often found complaints about stuff being ‘derivative’ and ‘unimaginative’ to be lazy. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel every single time. And like someone mentioned above, many favored devs and publishers are not given this treatment.
You are right that some bigger publishers get a pass for derivate gameplay; that should absolutely not be the case. They should be held to the same standard. However that being said, if a game IS actually overly derivate (I haven't played Kena so of course I'm not saying it is: just noting what Eurogamer said) it is reasonable to be critical of it. Being derivative is not a GOOD thing to be. It can turn out to be fine sure, but more often than not we should push gaming towards more creativity and originality where ever possible.

Good job picking out the only somewhat negative review from the 19 so far :)
Not only Eurogamer. The below from PC gamer.

"The fundamental issue with Kena, which rears its head almost everywhere you look, is that you'll have done almost everything on offer here a hundred times before. Combat is very familiar, complete with enemies carrying glowing weak spots. There are giant flowers which act as grapple points. There are targets to shoot within a time limit. The ledges you can grab on to are, as is tradition, marked with what I can only assume is bird poo. Strategic use of game design conventions isn't inherently bad, but in no area does Kena reach beyond convention."

Being critical isn't bad lol. Nothing wrong with pointing out if something isn't done quite so well.

Elios83

Some of you on here love taking Ls don't you?

First Deathloop was gonna be bad for overmarketing.

Then Kena was gonna be bad for undermarketing.

Now it turns out that both were amazing games after all 😂

Chelsea Fc Lol GIF by BBC

Indeed some people have now embarrassed themselves twice in a month.
It's funny how some gamers do not get much about games.
Can't wait to try it tonight.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Not only Eurogamer. The below from PC gamer.

"The fundamental issue with Kena, which rears its head almost everywhere you look, is that you'll have done almost everything on offer here a hundred times before. Combat is very familiar, complete with enemies carrying glowing weak spots. There are giant flowers which act as grapple points. There are targets to shoot within a time limit. The ledges you can grab on to are, as is tradition, marked with what I can only assume is bird poo. Strategic use of game design conventions isn't inherently bad, but in no area does Kena reach beyond convention."

Being critical isn't bad lol. Nothing wrong with pointing out if something isn't done quite so well.
PC gamer also gave AC Valhalla a 92 and while I like the game, it's the same as Odyssey but worse.

PC gamer also gave AC Valhalla a 92 and while I like the game, it's the same as Odyssey but worse.
Is it the same reviewer however? I've only played Odyssey and not Valhalla so cannot comment myself.

But yes, generally Ubisoft games get's a pass which absolutely should not happen. I expect Far Cry 6 to have glowing reviews too. Sigh.

Doesn't change the fact that at least we should be critical when games are too cookie cutter.

Top Bottom