• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kessler (inFAMOUS) | Devious Intent (HyperBitHero Video)

Did you see the ending coming?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
Hey everyone, I used to post my videos here a long time ago but I haven't done one in a while. If you didn't know, this is a series I've been doing for over 10 years at this point (jesus christ) where I take a deep dive into different villains in gaming, though I think I might expand into other types of media at some point. This one is a throwback to a game I think plenty of us have great memories of, even if we don't think about it all the time. In the grand scheme of the Infamous series, I think this one holds up the most in terms of premise and story. It's also sort of a redux of the first video I ever did in this series, which was a 3 min~ video on Alden Tate from inFAMOUS back in January 2012~. I hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane. It was really fun to dig deep into all of the setup in this game.

Do you think this game and its story would benefit from a remake? Do you want to see more inFAMOUS from Sucker Punch? I like that they're doing new things, but I definitely prefer the Sly Cooper/inFAMOUS 1 era of their games.

Hey everyone, I used to post my videos here a long time ago but I haven't done one in a while. If you didn't know, this is a series I've been doing for over 10 years at this point (jesus christ) where I take a deep dive into different villains in gaming, though I think I might expand into other types of media at some point. This one is a throwback to a game I think plenty of us have great memories of, even if we don't think about it all the time. In the grand scheme of the Infamous series, I think this one holds up the most in terms of premise and story. It's also sort of a redux of the first video I ever did in this series, which was a 3 min~ video on Alden Tate from inFAMOUS back in January 2012~. I hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane. It was really fun to dig deep into all of the setup in this game.

Do you think this game and its story would benefit from a remake? Do you want to see more inFAMOUS from Sucker Punch? I like that they're doing new things, but I definitely prefer the Sly Cooper/inFAMOUS 1 era of their games.

Now with the team being more mature as a studio, I would love to see what SuckerPunch could achieve with the Infamous IP when doing everything from scratch. Infamous 1 had some amazing potential to be bigger than what ended up being, but still, it is one of the best super heroes games I've ever played.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Didn't watch the video (can't right now, will later), but all I can say is that I did find the twist reveal pretty cool. Didn't see it coming when I was playing the game.

I don't know that I want a remake, but definitely a sequel (one more in line with the first two games than Second Son, although I did enjoy that too).

Last edited:
I don't know that I want a remake, but definitely a sequel (one more in line with the first two games than Second Son, although I did enjoy that too).
I liked Second Son too, but more just for the next gen tech at the time. Since it didn't get a sequel, it just kinda exists for me. I feel like they shot themselves in the foot by moving on from Cole after 2. I have my problems with 2, but Second Son's more realistic take just wasn't as engaging for me.

Fahdis

I liked Second Son too, but more just for the next gen tech at the time. Since it didn't get a sequel, it just kinda exists for me. I feel like they shot themselves in the foot by moving on from Cole after 2. I have my problems with 2, but Second Son's more realistic take just wasn't as engaging for me.

On the contrary, not only did I like Delsin more but I loved how they remade Seattle. And I liked the powers alot more. Cole was seriously bland and boring in the first one. He got a little more interesting in 2 but really it was Zeke and the supporting cast that was more interesting.

Eimran

I liked infamous 1 and LOVED infamous 2. A few weeks ago(10 years later) I decided to give the series another try. While I didn't enjoy it like the PS3 games I Found it still good games. But don't now if infamous is the next SP game we're all waiting for.

Last edited:
On the contrary, not only did I like Delsin more but I loved how they remade Seattle. And I liked the powers alot more. Cole was seriously bland and boring in the first one. He got a little more interesting in 2 but really it was Zeke and the supporting cast that was more interesting.
Delsin was cool enough, and I agree the gameplay was still great. Some of the powers blended together too much for me. Empire City was the only location that I felt a connection to. For some reason, the world of Second Son just felt hollow to me. I disagree that Cole was generic or boring in 1, especially after replaying it. Definitely didn't like him more or much of the supporting cast in 2, especially not his new voice.

HyperBitHero HyperBitHero your videos are what got me to try out the Yakuza franchise (before the Yakuza 0 hype), so thanks!
Awesome man, glad you enjoy the games. I'm still proud of that video. Lost Judgement is the best thing the series has done in a while.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I didn't dislike those aspects, but SS is so lacking in content compared to 2 in particular. And I don't agree that the powers were better.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm sure the people who will say yes are the same folks who mockingly laugh at how "obvious" the turn in FIGHT CLUB was or will tell you "What do you mean you didn't figure out THE SIXTH SENSE after the first five minutes!?"

Excellent reveal for an excellent villain. Like "The Higher Power" in WWF/E levels of reveals.

Your videos were amazing, they really sold me on the series. Glad to see you making videos again!
Thank you. I'm not stopping this time. Well, I never stopped, I just have like 20 unfinished scripts. I'm already working on 2 other Devious Intents on PS3 era villains just because I find them to be the most natural for me to talk about, for better or worse haha.
I didn't dislike those aspects, but SS is so lacking in content compared to 2 in particular. And I don't agree that the powers were better.
Second Son has Siren: Blood Curse energy to me. Still good, but lacking compared to where the series was going before. I didn't feel like smoke was ever worth going back to and the other powers were so plentiful (shooting up the smoke stacks was cool though.) I would take more Second Son, if anything, since I'm sure the sequel could go expand on things. I actually haven't played Tsushima yet, but I really need to once I finally finish Death Stranding.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thank you. I'm not stopping this time. Well, I never stopped, I just have like 20 unfinished scripts. I'm already working on 2 other Devious Intents on PS3 era villains just because I find them to be the most natural for me to talk about, for better or worse haha.

Second Son has Siren: Blood Curse energy to me. Still good, but lacking compared to where the series was going before. I didn't feel like smoke was ever worth going back to and the other powers were so plentiful (shooting up the smoke stacks was cool though.) I would take more Second Son, if anything, since I'm sure the sequel could go expand on things. I actually haven't played Tsushima yet, but I really need to once I finally finish Death Stranding.

GoT is in my top 5 games of last gen (I didn't play it until the PS5 version though), I found it so much fun that I finished it 100% (including the DLC island).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Best ending from 2 gens ago, fucking fight me.

People who think that inf2 has a better plot are fucked in the mind.

First off, great channel man. You make some great content.

On-topic: I was always disappointed with the fact that Sucker punch chose to diverge from the anti-hero storyline they had envisioned (the evil ending being canon as originally planned). It would've been way more interesting if they had chosen to make Cole an anti-hero or something. The setup with who Kessler really is/was and the storyline in the original had much promise.

I held this naïve hope that Infamous 2 would dynamically change the "playout" based on the ultimate direction you made in the original. Meaning, the narrative in the sequel would cross-over and branch into whichever character progression you had in the original and progress the storyline from there on through the original save file or something like that. Maybe that kind of scope was just too much of an unrealistic expectation. The replayability would've been immense.

They should've adhered to the original vision though.

Last edited:
First off, great channel man. You make some great content.

On-topic: I was always disappointed with the fact that Sucker punch chose to diverged from the anti-hero storyline they had envisioned (the evil ending being canon as originally planned). It would've been way more interesting if they had chosen to make Cole an anti-hero or something. The setup with who Kessler really is/was and the storyline in the original had much promise.

I held this naïve hope that Infamous 2 would dynamically change the "playout" based on the ultimate direction you made in the original. Meaning, the narrative in the sequel would cross-over and branch into whichever character progression you had in the original and progress the storyline from there on through the original save file or something like that. Maybe that kind of scope was just too much of an unrealistic expectation. The replayability would've been immense.

They should've adhered to the original vision though.
Thanks, I think this is one of my best ones. Mostly because it's really in-depth, but not a villain everyone already knows has a lot to talk about, like Solidus or The Boss. As for Infamous 2, there were a lot of direct sequels back then that claimed to carry over your choices from the previous game, but I can't think of any that really altered things that much. Looking back, it's probably unreasonable to expect, but I believed a lot of dumb marketing stuff back then haha. Like, I thought which shirt you chose to wear in Heavy Rain would affect that game's story. Not many games had endings as radically different as Infamous 1, so I guess that explains why they just wipe out Empire City before you get a chance to see it much, which is pretty lame. I wouldn't have been against Infamous 2 just being in a remodeled Empire City, maybe a new side location too. That never stopped me from liking the Yakuza games.

Top Bottom