• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

sol_bad

I haven't watched yet but judging from some of the reponses in this thread it sounds like Kevin pulled a Hideo Kojima MSG2 on us?

Fuck me deeeeaaaad. I couldn't imagine the endless bitching on the internet if MGS2 was made today.
"FUCK KOJIMA, HE LIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEED"
"FUCK KOJIMA HE SIDELINED SNAKE!!!!!!! AAARRRGGGGHHHH"
:messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fuck me deeeeaaaad. I couldn't imagine the endless bitching on the internet if MGS2 was made today.
:messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Wouldn't work. MGS2 is still a fantastically written, paced, and playing game.

Even if this show was marketed truthfully, it would still be a poorly animated, poorly written insult to fans of the series/franchise and anyone with half a brain cell who doesn't embody the meme:

R.6aa73303ec50c3a71900198fdd6383f3

sol_bad

Even if this show was marketed truthfully, it would still be a poorly animated, poorly written insult to fans of the series/franchise and anyone with half a brain cell who doesn't embody the meme:

You don't like it and that's OK but it's not poorly written at all. The characters are far more fleshed out here than the old show and the relationships between the characters is far more important and have more meaning. Missing He-Man does not = poor writing.

The Filmation version, the sequel, the 2000's, the comics, they are still all out there and can be watched and read in your preferable manner. There are fans of just the original show, there are fans of just the comics, there are fans of just the reboot, there are fans who love everything He-Man related, there are fans who hate the cartoons/comics but love the toys and there are brand new fans due to this new show. Plenty of old school fans love the new show as well. You don't get to dictate who the fans are and pretend that all fans hate it because it's simply not true.

I love Jay and Mike but your image is the poorest and laziest possible critique you can throw at someone because you don't know anything about the person you throw that image at. There is a lot of stuff I don't like but you won't see me wasting my time on here talking about it (I've probably mentioned a few times how much I hate Venom to be honest), it's pointless and a waste of energy to me. If I don't like something I just move on to something else. If you want to indulge yourself in a negative lifestyle, go for fucking gold.
You try and throw this half assed insult at me about just consuming things but here's betting that you yourself have only bothered to look at and listen to the negative reviews of this show. You just consooooooom your naysayers and blindly follow and accept what they say. Have you even bothered to look at the positive thoughts about the show and try and understand why people like it? Doubt it, because you just insult the people who like it (even though they are part of the fanbase). You aren't challenging your own thought process either mate, just sticking to whatever you believe in.
I've already stated in this thread that I listen to opposing opinions (even if they can annoy me) to get a greater understanding on things.

Me personally, I remember watching He-Man every day it was on but I can no longer remember any of the episodes. I just know the show doesn't hold up anymore.
I also owned this and more than enough figures to fill it up.
1oy3h1g.jpg

And I remember owing this.
HIGAsQa.png

Enjay

Banned

at this point, much like nonody_important, it's just easier to put whoever replies to the shill on ignore

Azurro

Banned

You are such a dishonest shill. MGS2, even with the twist, was written infinitely better than this new He Man show and the characters are infinitely more likable.

He would have gotten the same backlash if he had actually killed off Snake and replaced him with a very angry butch lesbian and her gf on Codec.

I honestly don't understand why you are such a shill, are you hoping to be gifted some Hollywood role with all the wokeness? Do you have a podcast that hopes to get invites to events?

I honestly hope you are trying to get something, because it would be sad if the butt licking was genuine.

Last edited:
MGS2 was clowned on for over a decade before people came around. People were ESPECIALLY nasty about Raiden, let's not pretend. Only in the 2010s have people started to come around to it.

I finished this show this morning, there's quality there but there's also a lot of stupid. Getting rid of He-Man and Skeletor and making opposing sides come together is good, because it adds a new dynamic. Teela isn't a strong presence and her anger strangely subsides then rises when relevant, probably the weakest character in the bunch outside of her black friend.

I think some people are a bit TOO fragile about He-Man though, when Evil-Lyn calls him a "goodie goodie" in episode 3 I saw people say that was disrespect which it wasn't. Having him die, appear in some form of Valhalla for other warriors of Greyskull then get warned if he goes back he'll just die then "kill" him again right after was disrespect.

Orko and Evil-Lynn get some good fucking development and their voice actors put in work, sure Orko was made for you to feel sympathetic for him then sacrifice himself but it was still nice. Beast Man or whatever just exists, the Robot exists as a function and not a character. Man at Arms has a few good moments but not enough for me to care.

Show felt rushed and needed an additional 3-5 episodes to let things sink in, feels like an abrupt race to the finish to retcon the apocalypse. Also Cringer is a non character once He-Man is disposed of considering they come as a pair.

Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Wish S1 Part 2 would be better, wish Adam didn't get iced again in such a disrespectful way.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Pretty typical netflix show if you ask me.
Aye pretty much. If I wasnt born in the arse end of the 70's and seen the original cartoon (And was more of a Soy persuasion or purple haired bloke) I may have somewhat enjoyed it

..But maybe not.

sol_bad

You are such a dishonest shill. MGS2, even with the twist, was written infinitely better than this new He Man show and the characters are infinitely more likable.

He would have gotten the same backlash if he had actually killed off Snake and replaced him with a very angry butch lesbian and her gf on Codec.

I honestly don't understand why you are such a shill, are you hoping to be gifted some Hollywood role with all the wokeness? Do you have a podcast that hopes to get invites to events?

I honestly hope you are trying to get something, because it would be sad if the butt licking was genuine.

Me dishonest?
People were very verbally unhappy with the bait and switch when the game released. It would be 20 times worse these days.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Why is it when someone likes something, they're a shill?

My friend accuses me of liking EVERYTHING... I'm just easy to please. There's tons I don't like but I just don't make it a habit of telling everyone "I don't like thing! You shouldn't like thing, either!"

If I don't like something and someone else does... I'll either not say anything and quietly support their right not to like it or I'll say what DID like about it without lying and saying I liked the whole thing.

In THIS case, I liked the whole thing overall. There's things to criticize as there is anything... But overall... I liked it.

Edited to clarify a sentence.

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
I have to share this. My girlfriend who grew up in the Philippines and has no familiarity with he man or the background story behind what's happened with this remake Started watching this show on Netflix and turned It off at the beginning of episode 2. She said there is no more he man and now it's just woman power, I don't want to watch. Hahahahaha I love this woman.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I have to share this. My girlfriend who grew up in the Philippines and has no familiarity with he man or the background story behind what's happened with this remake Started watching this show on Netflix and turned It off at the beginning of episode 2. She said there is no more he man and now it's just woman power, I don't want to watch. Hahahahaha I love this woman.

Yeah. People can see the feminist bullshit they're pushing.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Also, the Sailor Moon transformation of He-Man was hilarious and I'm not sure if it was meant as funny or not.

Ulysses 31

Why doesn't she like woman power shows? :p

Why is it when someone likes something, they're a shill?

My friend accuses me of liking EVERYTHING... I'm just easy to please. There's tons I don't like but I just make it a habit of telling everyone "I don't like thing! You shouldn't like thing, either!"

If I don't like something and someone else does... I'll either not say anything and quietly support their right not to like it or I'll say what DID like about it without lying and saying I liked the whole thing.

In THIS case, I liked the whole thing overall. There's things to criticize as there is anything... But overall... I liked it.
Good question. Personally, I would say that people only cross that line when they dismiss criticism as being "wrong," and attribute bad-faith motivations to people who don't like something that they do like.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You didn't answer my question, why are you such a shill? It's astroturfing, isn't it?

LOL
Why am I a shill just because I primarily comment on things I like? Even when I don't like something I can find positive things. Like Dark Phoenix, terrible movie but it has some great action at the end, I'll never watch it again though. Or Fan4stic, terrible, bit Michael B Jordan was great as Johnny and I liked to horror aspect they went for when they changed, I'll never watch it again. Or Venom, one of the worst super hero movies ever, Tom Hardy was brilliant at doing the duel roles, I'll never watch it again. Or the original Total Recall, loved it as a kid, boring as shit now, still fun to watch Arnold ham it up, illnever watch it again.

My wife is Filo and has no idea about He-Man at all, she lived in the Philippines until 14 months ago. She watched all 5 episodes with me and enjoyed it. Not the greatest show ever but still a fun adventure. And she was shocked by the ending.

Konnor

First of all, there was tons of backlash for that so I will assume you are too young to know. Solid snake was also treated with respect unlike how the former protagonists of the woke trash you're defending (as per usual) were treated.

Last edited:
I kind of feel sorry for Kevin Smith in this - only because you know he wasn't the one who was like 'Finally, now I can make the butch angry lesbian Teela show I also wanted to make'. You know this is the kind of bullshit that gets concocted because of the soulless woke corporate hacks who greenlight things at Netflix, and Smith probably just went with the flow like the withered husk of a man he now appears to be, not really knowing the full implications and how sick people are of this woke Netflix horseshit.

Just bad timing basically. One too many childhood property sacrificed at the altar of this kind of fuckery.

It also never ceases to amaze that woke liberals are so fundamentally screwed up, that they cannot write heroic or likable characters. Without fail, woke heroes always end up being unlikable like old Teela because the people behind them are so unlikeable, and have such bad ideas about the world, men and women, and society. Their toxic worldview, their entitlement, their resentment, their anger, their warped values - it can't help but infect everything they touch.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I get his anger... Just unsure why he took this approach , I believe what some have issues with is his comicCon interview felt misleading.

"In a Variety interview posted in the wake of fan backlash, creator Kevin Smith refused to mince his words about the criticism that had been circulating online long before the series premiered on Netflix."

“I see people online go, ‘Hey man, they’re getting rid of He-Man!'” Smith said. “Like, you really f*****g think Mattel Television, who hired me and paid me money, wants to do a f*****g ‘Masters of the Universe’ show without He-Man? Grow the f**k up, man. Like, that blew my mind, bunch of people being like, ‘Oh, I smell it. This is a bait and switch.'”

Article:

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I get his anger... Just unsure why he took this approach , I believe what some have issues with is his comicCon interview felt misleading.

"In a Variety interview posted in the wake of fan backlash, creator Kevin Smith refused to mince his words about the criticism that had been circulating online long before the series premiered on Netflix."

“I see people online go, ‘Hey man, they’re getting rid of He-Man!'” Smith said. “Like, you really f*****g think Mattel Television, who hired me and paid me money, wants to do a f*****g ‘Masters of the Universe’ show without He-Man? Grow the f**k up, man. Like, that blew my mind, bunch of people being like, ‘Oh, I smell it. This is a bait and switch.'”

Article:

Yeah... People who hadn't watched it yet and complaining ALREADY ... Like how are you hating something you hadn't seen yet NOR can you truly be sure the "leaks" were actually true? These folks just wanted to believe the worst (not talking about anyone in this thread, just in general).

Konnor

Thing is it's not even effectively feminist, they make Teela and unlikable c-word and she comes off as just bitchy and really dumb.

That's like 90% of feminist characters, wokies are projecting their own obnoxious character traits onto characters they're trying to present as heroes because they have zero self-awareness. I noticed this first on the show Girls many years ago, say what you want about Lena Dunham but she was a goddamn pioneer of the "delusional bitchy character presented as lovable or virtuous" trope.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
???

It was probably the best episode. Has to be bait.
Nope, I hated that episode. It wasn't done well, not enough was properly explained (to be fair, I liked he-man as a kid but haven't watched it in years so this may be due toy ignorance now).

Just finished the series and really liked it. I definitely recommend the series. All the stuff people were worried about was either blown out of proportion or was handled well. Was hoping for more than 5 episodes though. I hope another batch gets the green light.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Nope, I hated that episode. It wasn't done well, not enough was properly explained (to be fair, I liked he-man as a kid but haven't watched it in years so this may be due toy ignorance now).

Just finished the series and really liked it. I definitely recommend the series. All the stuff people were worried about was either blown out of proportion or was handled well. Was hoping for more than 5 episodes though. I hope another batch gets the green light.
They already have 5 more episodes done (afaik) just holding the release of the episodes.

Blown out of proportion?
They kill Orko, he-man, and mortally (maybe) Prince Adam.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
They already have 5 more episodes done (afaik) just holding the release of the episodes.

Blown out of proportion?
I don't think (hope) any of that will stay. As you said, we haven't seen everything.

When did Netflix start holding stuff back? Is this new?

sol_bad

Blown out of proportion?

Have you never seen Lord of the Rings? You know the movie where Gandalf dies in the first movie and stays dead forever?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Have you never seen Lord of the Rings? You know the movie where Gandalf dies in the first movie and stays dead forever?
Gandalf?

OH you mean Gandalf the Grey...who dies and doesn't come back. Gandalf the White returns after having god knowledge banged into his spirit brain for 1/2 a book . The elves recover his body and soaking it in....i dunno...elf oil or something then dressing his body in white robes and fashioning him a new staff.

(being pedantic and sarcastic obv)

I do not think Orko will return. Neither will tap jaw or the other "baddies" that got wasted in epi 1-5.

I don't think (hope) any of that will stay. As you said, we haven't seen everything.

When did Netflix start holding stuff back? Is this new?

Netflix completed Season 1 (10 episodes) and yes they have done this with other shows like Arrested Development, The Ranch, and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (sp).

Drizzlehell

Banned
Judging from the reviews that I've read in gaming press at the time this game came out, I predict that the internet shitstorm would be of biblical proportions.

I can still remember one prominent magazine giving it 6/10 and the author spending like half of a 3-page review harping on that one point and using juvenile insults towards Raiden. Those were truly different times.

sol_bad

Gandalf?

OH you mean Gandalf the Grey...who dies and doesn't come back. Gandalf the White returns after having god knowledge banged into his spirit brain for 1/2 a book . The elves recover his body and soaking it in....i dunno...elf oil or something then dressing his body in white robes and fashioning him a new staff.

(being pedantic and sarcastic obv)

I do not think Orko will return. Neither will tap jaw or the other "baddies" that got wasted in epi 1-5.

Netflix completed Season 1 (10 episodes) and yes they have done this with other shows like Arrested Development, The Ranch, and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (sp).

:)
I don't think Orko is dead, I think he'll come back as Orko the blue. lol
Same with Adam, he was only stabbed in the stomach.

people taking the He-Man show more seriously than it has ever been taken.

The people bitching have probably had nothing to do with the franchise for 20-30 years. Just pretending to be uber fans.

If anyone is interested, commentary about episode 1.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Blown out of proportion?

They'll be back. There were clues in ep 4. Plus
Adam wasn't killed.

Top Bottom