• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

Javthusiast

Banned
I follow the YouTube Outrage Nerds (y'all probably know who I'm talking about) and I actually understand and agree with a lot of the criticisms being thrown at Hollywood and current day media. That said, it does get repetitive after a bit and I have to step back. The negativity from these folks could generate a Ghostbusters II-esque river of slime that could consume us all.

It would be nice to have a more neutral take on all these new shows and movies based on existing properties. Not everything has to be seen through the lens of "being under SJW attack."

This is the reason why I am so fucking tired of that yt group. Even if I agree with some points.

Yes there are things to criticize, but those channels regurgitate the same exact angry rant over and over with the exact same points and thumbnails, shitting out 50 videos on every new "controversial woke movie/tv show/game" nonstop.

There is no nuance and level headed thinking whatsoever. They are as crazy and delusional as the woke sjws, just in the opposite direction.

Both sides are all about extremes and I am tired often standing in the middle somewhere shaking my head constantly.

This is the reason why I am so fucking tired of that yt group. Even if I agree with some points.

Yes there are things to criticize, but those channels regurgitate the same exact angry rant over and over with the exact same points and thumbnails, shitting out 50 videos on every new "controversial woke movie/tv show/game" nonstop.

There is no nuance and level headed thinking whatsoever. They are as crazy and delusional as the woke sjws, just in the opposite direction.

Both sides are all about extremes and I am tired often standing in the middle somewhere shaking my head constantly.
The reason why they feel repetitive is probably because Hollywood and Netflix and the likes regurgitate the same shit every single time. So they get the same criticisms.

oagboghi2

The reason why they feel repetitive is probably because Hollywood and Netflix and the likes regurgitate the same shit every single time. So they get the same criticisms.
Yeah, if Hollywood was making diverse and interesting projects, their opinions would be varied.

when everything has the same issues, and follows similar formula, to the point that you can watch a trailer or look at character designs and start making accurate predictions…

like what are they supposed to do? Pretend bad stuff is good?

Lanrutcon

If there's an active, long term movement that repeat the same actions over and over then it stands to reason you'll see a lot of the same reactions, over and over. Expecting the reactions to be varied and nuanced when the causes aren't is silly. Plus, if modern times has shown us anything it's that nuanced doesn't get you heard. Subtlety is dead; if you want results you protest loudly.

Does anyone think there may be a relation between castle greyskull, and the grey skull protecting the brain? Once we breach the human grey skull and connect to the brain, connect the computer to the brain, the universe ends in a sense, we can either harness godlike powers or be total slaves of the system as both our senses and will can be taken out of our control if the system is corrupted.

Last edited:

Turnt

Yeah, if Hollywood was making diverse and interesting projects, their opinions would be varied.

when everything has the same issues, and follows similar formula, to the point that you can watch a trailer or look at character designs and start making accurate predictions…

like what are they supposed to do? Pretend bad stuff is good?
They could try covering a wider variety of things. These channels always seem to focus on the same stuff: Star Wars, superheroes, nostalgic kids properties, the kinds of things they make Funko pops of. If they limit themselves to corporate slop is it really so surprising they don’t find it satisfying?

Of course, getting outraged about that stuff drives interest. Always has with these sorts of things. So that’s why they lean into it and won’t change it up. I looked at the channel for that Nerdrotic video that was posted on the last page. Of their last 10 videos, seven of them were about Marvel. And that wasn’t surprising, that stuff is their bread and butter. I scrolled down to see if they have a video that’s about something positive but it’s all just outrage. There’s probably a decent chance they don’t really care that much when the camera isn’t on. They just go with what pulls in the views.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They could try covering a wider variety of things. These channels always seem to focus on the same stuff: Star Wars, superheroes, nostalgic kids properties, the kinds of things they make Funko pops of. If they limit themselves to corporate slop is it really so surprising they don’t find it satisfying?

Of course, getting outraged about that stuff drives interest. Always has with these sorts of things. So that’s why they lean into it and won’t change it up. I looked at the channel for that Nerdrotic video that was posted on the last page. Of their last 10 videos, seven of them were about Marvel. And that wasn’t surprising, that stuff is their bread and butter. I scrolled down to see if they have a video that’s about something positive but it’s all just outrage. There’s probably a decent chance they don’t really care that much when the camera isn’t on. They just go with what pulls in the views.

Yes, they should completely stop focusing on the most popular, nostlagic, and beloved franchises within the media space - especially ones that they have a connect to and grew up with. Totally. /s

sol_bad

They are doing it just to make money. Look at Nerdrotics channel. He used to do just reviews of things, his demeanor was totally different and his thoughts were more nuanced. He was only getting between 500 and 2.5k views. When he realised he was getting 60k+ or 100k+ on a bunch of negative and dramatic videos on Dr Who his whole channel pivoted. Now he has no nuance because his audience just wants outrage and he makes heaps of money from it.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his thoughts on everything were much more positive than he let's on to be.

I'm sure the super woke are the same, playing it up to make money.
Both sides are super virtual signaling.

They are doing it just to make money. Look at Nerdrotics channel. He used to do just reviews of things, his demeanor was totally different and his thoughts were more nuanced. He was only getting between 500 and 2.5k views. When he realised he was getting 60k+ or 100k+ on a bunch of negative and dramatic videos on Dr Who his whole channel pivoted. Now he has no nuance because his audience just wants outrage and he makes heaps of money from it.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his thoughts on everything were much more positive than he let's on to be.

I'm sure the super woke are the same, playing it up to make money.
Both sides are super virtual signaling.
passion drives audience, zealotry and fervor is key in zeal.

Not only money, but influence and change. Drive the masses enough and the corporate overlords must bow to the people's will

Get woke go broke must continue to be true

Self-fulfilling prophecy

Last edited:

Turnt

Yes, they should completely stop focusing on the most popular, nostlagic, and beloved franchises within the media space - especially ones that they have a connect to and grew up with. Totally. /s
Yeh, my point was they could widen their coverage to include other stuff but won’t because they’re chasing views. Having 7 of 10 videos be complaining about Marvel is the result of narrowing in on what they know works.

batman forever sugar GIF

Bypass grey skull

sword art online GIF

Has great results assuming no bad end

zoom GIF by Psychrome

kunonabi

Yeh, my point was they could widen their coverage to include other stuff but won’t because they’re chasing views. Having 7 of 10 videos be complaining about Marvel is the result of narrowing in on what they know works.
Well, its a business for them so they're giving the audience what they want. A lost art these days, especially for the comic book industry, so let them do what they do. You can always find plenty of other outlets and tubers to talk about other stuff.

Will give some comment, I'm for artistic freedom even woke freedom, but the woke stuff is sad given copyright(we need to send letters to politicians to allow for copyright reform so that these works enter public domain faster as was done in the past and others can give their take legally, as should be, copyright law has been poisoned and works against the promotion of the creation of art which was its initial purpose for existence.) means these corporate overlords basically have kidnapped childhood properties that should already be part of everyone's domain to contribute artistically too.

I do believe corporations should give artists the freedom to do art even if it goes against the will or desires of most, and even if the art is hated to a degree, many times this results in masterpieces(like Netflix She-Ra). He-man is not fully out yet, but I doubt it'll be able to match the masterpiece that was she-ra. But so far quite good.

oagboghi2

The channel is called nerdrotic? He has always talked about nerdy stuff. Should he talk about baseball stats every once in a while instead just to be positive?

why is there this need to always be fake positive, or have positive stuff on your channel? Is Marvel doing anything right now that is above criticism, or people are only allowed to gush about?

Last edited:

Turnt

The channel is called nerdrotic? He has always talked about nerdy stuff. Should he talk about baseball stats every once in a while instead just to be positive?

why is there this need to always be fake positive, or have positive stuff on your channel? Is Marvel doing anything right now that is above criticism, or people are only allowed to gush about?
Is uniform negativity really so much better than uniform positivity? Are there no other comics, tv shows, films or whatever that they enjoy and want to highlight? Be critical of what these corporations produce by all means. They churn out a lot of shit. But if you're solely relying on them for things to talk about then you're just part of the same cultural conveyer belt. Are a small handful of properties really the only "nerd media" worth paying attention to? Again, I realise why it is, that outrage over popular things drives more views than liking something. So it's a gimmick that's being worked.

Marvel is doing plenty people can and should criticise. I'm not exactly a huge MCU guy. And in a way that's why I don't get stuff like this. Why do Marvel get to keep dominating the cultural discourse like this where a pop culture youtuber has 7 out of 10 of their videos about them? Again, obviously driving views is the reason because Marvel is popular. But it's pretty dull. That The Green Knight film came out recently and looks cool. It's a fantasy film, so that's nerdy, right? So is this guy gonna cover it? Or is he gonna focus on the same established franchises instead? It just seems like such a narrow view to take of media for someone to take, especially media that apparently annoys them so much, when there's so much else out there.

Last edited:

Loki is quite good, a masterpiece.

This thread is too long.

Do they ruin Masters with the usual SJW shit?
There's sjw stuff, but sjw cannot violate intrinsic logic of the world, they too reaffirm order of the world, no work can defy internal logic of human thought and relation.

This like all works is the work that was meant at the moment it was meant, nothing more nothing less.

I just want to know how the fuck Kevin Smith got involved in this project? The guy post pics of himself crying about movie trailers he saw. I'm surprised he didn't buckle under the shit storm he faced after this considering he has the emotional maturity of a child.

This thread is too long.

They side-lined He-man to prop up Teela.
And to make her a real strong woman they did as the church of woke demands. They gave her a non-gender conforming hairdo, a masculine body, and a shitty attitude.

It's a mediocre cartoon. But if you don't mind the bait and switch and is really nostalgic about these characters you might like it.

CGiRanger

Banned
They side-lined He-man to prop up Teela.
And to make her a real strong woman they did as the church of woke demands. They gave her a non-gender conforming hairdo, a masculine body, and a shitty attitude.

It's a mediocre cartoon. But if you don't mind the bait and switch and is really nostalgic about these characters you might like it.
The most succinctly balanced take I'd say.

sol_bad

Let me guet this straight. Before youtube existed, people used to watch shows till the end even though they thought half of it was bad? They didn’t watch one episode and talked about it with other people?

Well yeah, because there are a lot of good shows out there that have average 1st and/or 2nd seasons but people kept watching. Before Youtube existed there was more nuance in conversations. These days everything is "THAT FUCKING SUCKED!!!" OR "THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!!!", there is no middleground, especially from the Youtube outrage mob.

Like I said, the new MOTU show isn't the best cartoon ever made but it's also no where near the worst cartoon ever made.
I personally have no idea how anyone could sit there and watch 10 episodes of the old show and then watch 10 episodes of the new show and objectively say the old show was better.

Lanrutcon

This thread is too long.

Currently? yeah...

But it's salvageable. We're mid-way through the story and part 2 is coming up. Now I'm not saying things will turn around, but it costs nothing to wait for the conclusion of the entire thing before passing judgement. There's potential for a glorious comeback here.

That being said, Mr Smith is a dumbass and has handled the messaging poorly, and that's going to remain a matter of public record that isn't doing the show any favors.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Well yeah, because there are a lot of good shows out there that have average 1st and/or 2nd seasons but people kept watching. Before Youtube existed there was more nuance in conversations. These days everything is "THAT FUCKING SUCKED!!!" OR "THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!!!", there is no middleground, especially from the Youtube outrage mob.

Like I said, the new MOTU show isn't the best cartoon ever made but it's also no where near the worst cartoon ever made.
I personally have no idea how anyone could sit there and watch 10 episodes of the old show and then watch 10 episodes of the new show and objectively say the old show was better.
Jesus Christ. Surpassing the old show is not an accomplishment. You guys need a better defense than that.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm sorry, isn't that what most ... fans in here are comparing it to?
No? Who is saying the original show is a classic? Quote me, someone, please. It's a classic in the sense that it's 40 years old and a lot of us watched it. I don't hear anyone saying the show was high quality.

Watch the WHOLE thing and then make up your mind. Don't go off half the story told so far.
"Please watch our crap, it will get better towards the end" is hardly a compelling argument to watch the show. I've dropped many shows after the first couple of episodes, sometimes not even finishing the pilot.
First impressions matter and if a show can't convince me to invest more time into it, it can kindly bugger off.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
"Please watch our crap, it will get better towards the end" is hardly a compelling argument to watch the show. I've dropped many shows after the first couple of episodes, sometimes not even finishing the pilot.
First impressions matter and if a show can't convince me to invest more time into it, it can kindly bugger off.

Is that how you felt with ST:TNG? If everyone did, we never would have gotten the great seasons we did after season 2.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is that how you felt with ST:TNG? If everyone did, we never would have gotten the great seasons we did after season 2.
That is a strange argument, the first season of TNG isn't that bad, its just that some of the later ones are stellar.

Your case is more like if the first Star Trek movie was ST:V instead, then yeah, that would have killed St forever and rightfully so :p

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
No? Who is saying the original show is a classic? Quote me, someone, please. It's a classic in the sense that it's 40 years old and a lot of us watched it. I don't hear anyone saying the show was high quality.
Bro full grown mens reactions to this series isn't them saying it's a classic but if it WASN'T a classic why would they be mad? 👀

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Bro full grown mens reactions to this series isn't them saying it's a classic but if it WASN'T a classic why would they be mad? 👀
Because the show isn't good and it's not aimed at the audience it should be? How hard is that to comprehend? That's not even getting into the misleading marketing and the blatant lies told by the showrunner.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I suggest waiting until the second part of the season comes on Netflix... Which will probably be late Aug or early September. Watch the WHOLE thing and then make up your mind. Don't go off half the story told so far.
Here, eat this cow pie that may or may have a poorly done custard center or it may be more shit, possible even more rancid than what is on the outside - that is what you are suggesting people do.

sol_bad

Because the show isn't good and it's not aimed at the audience it should be? How hard is that to comprehend? That's not even getting into the misleading marketing and the blatant lies told by the showrunner.

And there is your real problem, not the show itself but the lies from the marketing and Mr Smith.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
And there is your real problem, not the show itself but the lies from the marketing and Mr Smith.
You didn't read. I said the show isn't good. Apart from all the nonsense around it's a mediocre show at best. Certainly not worth the defense force built up around it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom