• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

Hardensoul

Why would I waste my limited time to watch the second part if the first part isn't good?
I agree, I’m not watching something I’m not enjoying in hopes it gets better! My time is limited gotta be selective in watch I want to invest in! They are way too many good shows out there I want to check out, that are geared to my taste!

longdi

Banned
i mean, smith just needed to make teela teela, and he can shove heman to season2, and the fans would be ok.

why he made teela heela, a by the book man femme? 🤷‍♀️

They are doing it just to make money. Look at Nerdrotics channel. He used to do just reviews of things, his demeanor was totally different and his thoughts were more nuanced. He was only getting between 500 and 2.5k views. When he realised he was getting 60k+ or 100k+ on a bunch of negative and dramatic videos on Dr Who his whole channel pivoted. Now he has no nuance because his audience just wants outrage and he makes heaps of money from it.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his thoughts on everything were much more positive than he let's on to be.

I'm sure the super woke are the same, playing it up to make money.
Both sides are super virtual signaling.
No. Things have gotten that bad. Like I said, it's as if Chris Chan writes for all these shows now. I did notice you always pop up when people push back against it...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
i mean, smith just needed to make teela teela, and he can shove heman to season2, and the fans would be ok.

why he made teela heela, a by the book man femme? 🤷‍♀️
He smokes a lot of pot. Probably sounded like a good idea. I'm going to Rian Johnson this bitch!

Lupingosei

Banned
Spoiler: The next He Man is Teela's girlfriend.
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Wasn't she totally a non-presence in the first half?

But w/e, as others have said, at this point that'd make this all the more humorous. I doubt it's true just because part of me feels that'd be even too ridiculous for this.
Well, the VA said she had to say the line "I have the power" in her audition. Why would they ask her to say that?

oagboghi2

Is uniform negativity really so much better than uniform positivity? Are there no other comics, tv shows, films or whatever that they enjoy and want to highlight? Be critical of what these corporations produce by all means. They churn out a lot of shit. But if you're solely relying on them for things to talk about then you're just part of the same cultural conveyer belt. Are a small handful of properties really the only "nerd media" worth paying attention to? Again, I realise why it is, that outrage over popular things drives more views than liking something. So it's a gimmick that's being worked.

Marvel is doing plenty people can and should criticise. I'm not exactly a huge MCU guy. And in a way that's why I don't get stuff like this. Why do Marvel get to keep dominating the cultural discourse like this where a pop culture youtuber has 7 out of 10 of their videos about them? Again, obviously driving views is the reason because Marvel is popular. But it's pretty dull. That The Green Knight film came out recently and looks cool. It's a fantasy film, so that's nerdy, right? So is this guy gonna cover it? Or is he gonna focus on the same established franchises instead? It just seems like such a narrow view to take of media for someone to take, especially media that apparently annoys them so much, when there's so much else out there.
It’s not about being uniform anything. It’s about being honest. If people make a bad show, or perform a bait and switch in marketing, or in this case, do both of those things, why should anyone pretend to be positive?

their are plenty of things that people praise on YouTube, woke television reboots and lying to fans is not one of them.

green knight is a indie fantasy film most people have never heard of. He could cover it, maybe he won’t. He has never covered indie movies before so I’m suprised you think he should cover one now?

Azurro

Banned
I just heard about The Green Knight. It looks cool but I'm confused, why is Dev Patel in there? Why is a random Indian dude in medieval England?

Oh I’ll bet Kevin LOVED The Last Jedi.

One thing I’d love to know is when did giving the fans what they want go out of style?
I've concluded all of this started when the Large Hadron Collider was first successfully tested. I think after that, half of the population merged with an alt universe. A more soy universe where stupidity is honored. Half of us survive from our prime universe and are starting to catch on that things aren't right with the world and are expressing bewilderment on forums, like we are. We 'primes', meanwhile, are living a perpetual nightmare.

Turnt

It’s not about being uniform anything. It’s about being honest. If people make a bad show, or perform a bait and switch in marketing, or in this case, do both of those things, why should anyone pretend to be positive?

their are plenty of things that people praise on YouTube, woke television reboots and lying to fans is not one of them.

green knight is a indie fantasy film most people have never heard of. He could cover it, maybe he won’t. He has never covered indie movies before so I’m suprised you think he should cover one now?
By uniform negativity I meant that if you look at his videos they’re all about him bitching about stuff, specifically the same few things over and over. I’m not saying he’s not allowed to be mad about the new He-Man show but if those kinds of films and TV shows are constantly letting you down then maybe consider covering some other stuff too. But that would also be dependent on him actually being annoyed about this stuff and not just working a gimmick.

You said before that the channel is called Nerdrotic so that means he has to talk about nerd media rather than covering anything else. I’m using The Green Knight to point out that there’s other nerd media that he could be covering but won’t. Like you said it’s indie. Whereas these people can’t (or maybe more accurately, won’t) break themselves away from lapping up whatever corporate sludge is dished up to them. As I said before, obviously it’s because it’s a reliable source of views. So if it works for them then on some level you can’t really blame them because it’s how they pay their bills. But it doesn’t mean their opinions are worth anything.

By uniform negativity I meant that if you look at his videos they’re all about him bitching about stuff, specifically the same few things over and over. I’m not saying he’s not allowed to be mad about the new He-Man show but if those kinds of films and TV shows are constantly letting you down then maybe consider covering some other stuff too. But that would also be dependent on him actually being annoyed about this stuff and not just working a gimmick.

You said before that the channel is called Nerdrotic so that means he has to talk about nerd media rather than covering anything else. I’m using The Green Knight to point out that there’s other nerd media that he could be covering but won’t. Like you said it’s indie. Whereas these people can’t (or maybe more accurately, won’t) break themselves away from lapping up whatever corporate sludge is dished up to them. As I said before, obviously it’s because it’s a reliable source of views. So if it works for them then on some level you can’t really blame them because it’s how they pay their bills. But it doesn’t mean their opinions are worth anything.
Someone must fight the corporate overlords, help sink their holy ships called corporations. Let the sword of words be used against them. And let it also go towards the political side and demand a vast reduction in copyright duration as well as free speech protection and fair use expansion. We must fight corporations on all fronts.
yu yu hakusho spirit GIF by Funimation

You will either end a slave to corporations or you will free yourself through corporations. Slave or Master you decide your fate, and that of all the rest.

Last edited:

Turnt

Someone must fight the corporate overlords, help sink their holy ships called corporations. Let the sword of words be used against them. And let it also go towards the political side and demand a vast reduction in copyright duration as well as free speech protection and fair use expansion. We must fight corporations on all fronts.
yu yu hakusho spirit GIF by Funimation

You will either end a slave to corporations or you will free yourself through corporations. Slave or Master you decide your fate, and that of all the rest.
Is continuing to only engage with what they put out really fighting them? Sure, by all means call them out on their bullshit about stuff you don’t like. But when you don’t look beyond them no matter how much they fuck you over then they’ve got you by the balls. If you act like those corporations are your only option then you’re the one who is acting like a slave.

If you know you’re gonna hate the new He-Man show because of the stuff that’s come out about it and then you still watch it all anyway out of some nostalgic compulsion then you aren’t fighting it. You’re adding to the statistics of people who watched it and making Netflix think they’re on to a good thing. If a bunch of people hate watch it then Netflix are going to look at the number of views it got, something you have helped add to, and figure the backlash is small and insignificant so they can double down on what appears to be working. These kind of controversies centre these shows in “the discourse” so people watch just to have an opinion on the topic of the day. And that works in the favour of these corporations. They don’t have to make something you necessarily like. This sort of “resistance” can actually be part of their marketing strategy where that outrage raises awareness. I know that the reason I heard about this show was because people were getting mad at it.

Isn’t fighting them by consuming media that actually fits what you want much more effective?

I agree, I’m not watching something I’m not enjoying in hopes it gets better! My time is limited gotta be selective in watch I want to invest in! They are way too many good shows out there I want to check out, that are geared to my taste!
Actually I think there's been a negative over reaction with He-man, perhaps Smith had an after death experience or a close encounter with death. After watching these first few episodes there is a lot of artistic good in his work, it resonates with truth, seems something deeply inspired him.
If you act like those corporations are your only option then you’re the one who is acting like a slave.
Sorry but the POLITIcIANS have long had their asses wide open for mouse's big D. They have altered copyright law extending it far beyond natural, what should have been a few decades is unjustly many many decades. They have made the law of the land unjust and in opposition of art science and the people of the land. These corrupt pigs do not change, and continue to do the same again and again in the pocket of corporations.

For pop culture pop culture is in the hands of the elite few, by decree of the corrupt. And the world will be cleansed of its corruption such is foretold from olden times.

But even they are not immune to the laws of physics, they are powerless before the laws of physics, which are dictated by a divine authority. Thus they must be made to submit via divine law. Lesser beings must understand before the divine order there is only submission. There is no instrument that works against the sword of truth, the celestial sword, the flaming sword.

In any case, let them have their fun for now, but probability, randomness, FATE, FORTUNE is beyond their grasp.
Sexy Car Chase GIF by Team Tumult

PS
I also study dice, the ones underneath it all

Last edited:

sol_bad

Is continuing to only engage with what they put out really fighting them? Sure, by all means call them out on their bullshit about stuff you don’t like. But when you don’t look beyond them no matter how much they fuck you over then they’ve got you by the balls. If you act like those corporations are your only option then you’re the one who is acting like a slave.

If you know you’re gonna hate the new He-Man show because of the stuff that’s come out about it and then you still watch it all anyway out of some nostalgic compulsion then you aren’t fighting it. You’re adding to the statistics of people who watched it and making Netflix think they’re on to a good thing. If a bunch of people hate watch it then Netflix are going to look at the number of views it got, something you have helped add to, and figure the backlash is small and insignificant so they can double down on what appears to be working. These kind of controversies centre these shows in “the discourse” so people watch just to have an opinion on the topic of the day. And that works in the favour of these corporations. They don’t have to make something you necessarily like. This sort of “resistance” can actually be part of their marketing strategy where that outrage raises awareness. I know that the reason I heard about this show was because people were getting mad at it.

Isn’t fighting them by consuming media that actually fits what you want much more effective?

That's the thing, most people complaining about new MOTU haven't watched the show. They have probably watched 2.5 hours worth of angry YouTube rants about the show but not the show itself.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Are you sure? He already got pushed aside for a white butch lesbian woman as protagonist. The double punch of actually replacing his role in the story by a black lesbian lady sounds like standard feminist MO.

1. I'm sure.

2. Teela isn't lesbian

3. Ardra isn't the next protector of Grayskull

4. Teela is meant to become the new sorceress (it's kinda teased in the old series and this one).

sol_bad

Are you sure? He already got pushed aside for a white butch lesbian woman as protagonist. The double punch of actually replacing his role in the story by a black lesbian lady sounds like standard feminist MO.

How can you seriously think Teela is lesbiN? There is no romance between her and Andra at all.

Azurro

Banned
How can you seriously think Teela is lesbiN? There is no romance between her and Andra at all.

Oh please, here you go with your dishonest bs again, it's totally queer-baited.

1. I'm sure.

2. Teela isn't lesbian

3. Ardra isn't the next protector of Grayskull

4. Teela is meant to become the new sorceress (it's kinda teased in the old series and this one).

No, you are not sure. Unless you were involved in the production, or are Kevin Smith, it's impossible for you to know.

Now, what is more likely given what has already happened? That the He Man show starring the butch lesbian Teela will bring He Man back? Or that He Man's role will be taken over by a black lesbian?

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

All this talk about teela being a lesbian seemed kind of off at one point to me. In one of the episodes it is said that teela is carrying a flame for someone, I assumed that meant He-man.

oagboghi2

how are their opinions worth any less than any other Youtuber? Becuase they aren't positive enough? If that is the case, than my joke about baseball stats is pretty much the case.

No channel has a requirement to be positive, and this silly "Well they are doing it for money" argument is retarded. Everyone is doing this to bring engagement to their channel, which means more money. Are the Youtubers praising this schlock not making money with Adsense.

This "uniform negativity" bullshit is only trotted out for youtubers who criticize bad and disappointing media. You hear it for Star Wars, you hear it whenever a bad movie get shredded online. However You never see other communities have litmus tests for how fake positive you can be. If you have a sports channel, you can criticize a team without people going back in your library and demanding why aren't you making videos praising bad teams.

What are you going to do if that does happen?

That's the thing, most people complaining about new MOTU haven't watched the show. They have probably watched 2.5 hours worth of angry YouTube rants about the show but not the show itself.
This is a bit rich considering you and DeafTourette DeafTourette have pretty much already fanfic what you think will happen in part 2.

People have watched this show, and many don't like it. Why is that impossible for you to accept?

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
how are their opinions worth any less than any other Youtuber? Becuase they aren't positive enough? If that is the case, than my joke about baseball stats is pretty much the case.

No channel has a requirement to be positive, and this silly "Well they are doing it for money" argument is retarded. Everyone is doing this to bring engagement to their channel, which means more money. Are the Youtubers praising this schlock not making money with Adsense.

This "uniform negativity" bullshit is only trotted out for youtubers who criticize bad and disappointing media. You hear it for Star Wars, you hear it whenever a bad movie get shredded online. However You never see other communities have litmus tests for how fake positive you can be. If you have a sports channel, you can criticize a team without people going back in your library and demanding why aren't you making videos praising bad teams.

What are you going to do if that does happen?

This is a bit rich considering you and DeafTourette DeafTourette have pretty much already fanfic what you think will happen in part 2.

People have watched this show, and many don't like it. Why is that impossible for you to accept?

It's not impossible for me to accept. But when people spread falsehoods and half-truths, I'll push back.

As for Teela's "lesbianism", she is carrying a torch for Adam. That's always been the case for her character and is even hinted at by Evil-Lyn ("I'm not the only one carrying a torch for a powerful man, am I?") ... Talking about He-man. Even in the old series, that's who she liked.

And Adam isn't dead, Azzurri Azzurri ... He's wounded but he's still alive.

I'm not part of the creation of the story but I'm an avid reader and movie watcher... I pick up on teases, hints and such in movies and shows. Y'all are so angry at the SJW boogyman, you see it EVERYWHERE and rail against it... Like an old man screaming at clouds for some imagined slight.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's not impossible for me to accept. But when people spread falsehoods and half-truths, I'll push back.

As for Teela's "lesbianism", she is carrying a torch for Adam. That's always been the case for her character and is even hinted at by Evil-Lyn ("I'm not the only one carrying a torch for a powerful man, am I?") ... Talking about He-man. Even in the old series, that's who she liked.

I'm not part of the creation of the story but I'm an avid reader and movie watcher... I pick up on teases, hints and such in movies and shows. Y'all are so angry at the SJW boogyman, you see it EVERYWHERE and rail against it... Like an old man screaming at clouds for some imagined slight.
Are you sure you've seen it? You didn't pick up on the hints if you did. It's quite blatant. Maybe if we called her Bi would that be a better identity for her? Does that work for you? Or is she 100 percent hetro and unless she kisses diversity not lesbian you won't be convinced otherwise?

It doesn't matter if Teela is lesbian. It's obvious they changed her look to be more muscular and tough according to current trends. There's nothing wrong with more masculine looking women, but Teela is an established character and both her visual design and her personality have been changed significantly for this show. That's a fact.

oagboghi2

See it everywhere? They literally redesigned her character to be more masculine, shaved half of her head and gave her the lead role.

There is seeing things that aren't there, and then there is being fucking blind.

Maybe Teela isn't a lesbian. Maybe she is in love with Adam as you say, and this is the greatest love story ever put to paper....or maybe she isn't, and every rumour about this show that people said was a lie is actually true. The thing is, you don't know. You are guessing, just like people who are assuming Teela is gay are just guessing based on what the show decided to show them.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
See it everywhere? They literally redesigned her character to be more masculine, shaved half of her head and gave her the lead role.

There is seeing things that aren't there, and then there is being fucking blind.

Maybe Teela isn't a lesbian. Maybe she is in love with Adam as you say, and this is the greatest love story ever put to paper....or maybe she isn't, and every rumour about this show that people said was a lie is actually true. The thing is, you don't know. You are guessing, just like people who are assuming Teela is gay are just guessing based on what the show decided to show them.
He knows! He picks up on hints in the show! He pays attention! Except for all of the blatant clues about her being bi or a lesbian. Those are all imagined by us "anti sjw" types.

Turnt

"Worth less than any other YouTuber" is a pretty low bar lol.

I mean in the sense that their opinion is pretty worthless to me because if they're just chasing what generates views then they're not reliable. I mean, their opinions aren't of interest to me anyway since I'm not solely interested in the corporate schlock that they focus on but still.

It's uniform negativity in the sense that every single one of their videos is negative. If someone only talks about bad and disappointing media is that not uniform negativity? We've established they have other options for nerd media to talk about. They just chose to not take them. Just to be clear, I think that the "don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next product" types are also bad. They're two sides of the same coin. If one person is super excited about every item on the McDonalds menu and the other does nothing but complain about McDonalds yet refuses to eat anything else then what's stopping me looking to either as a restaurant critic isn't their difference in opinion on the McNuggets.

To use your sports analogy, if someone had a baseball channel but only talked about New York and Los Angeles teams, and those teams happened to suck at the time, would it not be weird if they were constantly going on about how all of baseball completely sucks these days and were ignoring teams that might actually be good just because they happen to play in smaller cities? Is that someone who is trying to cover a sport or someone who is just capitalising on what draws attention?

Nickolaidas

Banned
"Worth less than any other YouTuber" is a pretty low bar lol.

I mean in the sense that their opinion is pretty worthless to me because if they're just chasing what generates views then they're not reliable. I mean, their opinions aren't of interest to me anyway since I'm not solely interested in the corporate schlock that they focus on but still.

It's uniform negativity in the sense that every single one of their videos is negative. If someone only talks about bad and disappointing media is that not uniform negativity? We've established they have other options for nerd media to talk about. They just chose to not take them. Just to be clear, I think that the "don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next product" types are also bad. They're two sides of the same coin. If one person is super excited about every item on the McDonalds menu and the other does nothing but complain about McDonalds yet refuses to eat anything else then what's stopping me looking to either as a restaurant critic isn't their difference in opinion on the McNuggets.

To use your sports analogy, if someone had a baseball channel but only talked about New York and Los Angeles teams, and those teams happened to suck at the time, would it not be weird if they were constantly going on about how all of baseball completely sucks these days and were ignoring teams that might actually be good just because they happen to play in smaller cities? Is that someone who is trying to cover a sport or someone who is just capitalising on what draws attention?
If the negative criticism makes valid points about bad choices, bad storytelling and bad characterization, then it's safe to think of the critic as legit and not just some hatemonger.

The show is off the Netfilx front page. So, partial win.

To the gaslighting in the thread, This is the definition of feminist fish mouth: "Fish-mouth Syndrome
A prevalent facial defect found on SJWs and feminists where their mouths are permanently slunk down to the sides of their chin, thus giving the appearance of a retarded fish. These features are often accompanied with the standard privilege checker glasses, a huge honking nose that blows when triggered, and unfitting hair colors."

Here are photos of it:
TH62DPc.png

Here's Teela and her pal:
wIvz8f9.png

gAmoA2E.png

We done here?...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister Wolf

They see it. They are just ok with it and we aren't. That's all it really comes down to.

Javthusiast

Banned
The show is off the Netfilx front page. So, partial win.

To the gaslighting in the thread, This is the definition of feminist fish mouth: "Fish-mouth Syndrome
A prevalent facial defect found on SJWs and feminists where their mouths are permanently slunk down to the sides of their chin, thus giving the appearance of a retarded fish. These features are often accompanied with the standard privilege checker glasses, a huge honking nose that blows when triggered, and unfitting hair colors."

Here are photos of it:
TH62DPc.png

Here's Teela and her pal:
wIvz8f9.png

gAmoA2E.png

We done here?...
Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Top Bottom