• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
bjlzoJw.gif

sol_bad

Critical Drinker just posted a video about how he likes The Mummy. His criticisms are usually quite on point.

No ... they really aren't. He also called Teela a lesbian, objectively false.
Teela and Andra care about each other, friends, not gay. Even Anthony Mackie said in an interview recently that friendships can't be portrayed in movies and shows anymore because people jump the gun and assume it's a same sex love plot. And it seems like crazies on both sides that see what they want to see.

And he is free to enjoy The Mummy, wife and I found all 3 films to be boring when we re-watched them last year. The Beni character from the first film was especially annoying
We also couldn't stop laughing at the acting here by Imhotep.
vb6soYJ.gif

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Teela and Andra care about each other, friends, not gay. Even Anthony Mackie said in an interview recently that friendships can't be portrayed in movies and shows anymore because people jump the gun and assume it's a same sex love plot. And it seems like crazies on both sides that see what they want to see.

And he is free to enjoy The Mummy, wife and I found all 3 films to be boring when we re-watched them last year. The Beni character from the first film was especially annoying
vb6soYJ.gif
Well shit. That settles it then. Anthony Mackie said a thing therefore hes right. Pack up this debate boys.

Also. The critical drinker posts positive stuff all the time. He literally has THREE different series dedicated to positive reviews and discussions. Extra shots, After hours, drinker recommends.

Last edited:

Urban

Watched it over the last 2 days. I personally didn’t like it and that’s not because it’s focused or other characters or stuff but it just didn’t click with me and some of the dialog were pretty bad.
5/10

But one thing bothered me so hard: The way they displayed He-man. I mean it’s his show and he barely does a thing ? Smith really hates him I’ll guess.

Why was she angry again ? Because no one told her and she wasn’t one of the inner circle ? Maybe he wanted to protect you ?
One lie is enough to turn your back on your father and the whole kingdom . I mean Adams own father didn’t know.

is this how we portray strong women ?

Last edited:

sol_bad

Well shit. That settles it then. Anthony Mackie said a thing therefore hes right. Pack up this debate boys.

Also. The critical drinker posts positive stuff all the time. He literally has THREE different series dedicated to positive reviews and discussions. Extra shots, After hours, drinker recommends.

In case my point went flying over your head, it was that it's pathetic that certain people are hoping Bucky and Sam are a gay couple and it's pathetic that certain people are "hoping" that Teela and Andra are a gay couple.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
In case my point went flying over your head, it was that it's pathetic that certain people are hoping Bucky and Sam are a gay couple and it's pathetic that certain people are "hoping" that Teela and Andra are a gay couple.
I read that post at 5 am after getting up. So it's quite possible I didn't interpret your post the way you meant it lol. There's no hoping. They are. In a queerbait way. Like I said previously I doubt they'll do anything explicit but it's obvious. Why you and deaftourette are so against the idea is beyond me. Unless you guys are just trolling.

vb6soYJ.gif
You don’t like The Mummy? Probably not wokr enough. I’m talking about the first movie here.

CGiRanger

Banned
Here's an interesting video which theorizes that some of the visual direction stuff may be more due to legal issues than being entirely driven by wokeness

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I had to watch such an unlikeable protagonist.
For real. I just cannot understand when they wrote this character how they could have had any idea or intention that she would come across as anyway likable? OR someone the audience would want to root for? There's no charm in her whatsoever.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Here's an interesting video which theorizes that some of the visual direction stuff may be more due to legal issues than being entirely driven by wokeness

For real. I just cannot understand when they wrote this character how they could have had any idea or intention that she would come across as anyway likable? OR someone the audience would want to root for? There's no charm in her whatsoever.

I think this is some dumbass writer thinking that angry character = interesting character.

Honestly, the bragging overconfident types are the worst for me. It's the reason I couldn't stand Vegeta back in DBZ. And most of Super.

Ulysses 31

I think this is some dumbass writer thinking that angry character = interesting character.

Honestly, the bragging overconfident types are the worst for me. It's the reason I couldn't stand Vegeta back in DBZ. And most of Super.
Hope you don't include the filler, Vegeta did has his moments and growth in DBZ(his sacrifice vs Buu, where he admits Kakarot is better than him) :lollipop_winking:

Ain't seen Super yet.

CGiRanger

Banned
What's funny to me is that I bet these same types of Writers probably look back on a similar character like Kratos in the original God of War trilogy and point him out as a figure of "toxic masculinity" because he's so angry, or other similar male characters.

But writing a woman with the very same traits as one identified with "toxic masculinity" is suddenly cool and makes women "interesting". Funny that.

I read that post at 5 am after getting up. So it's quite possible I didn't interpret your post the way you meant it lol. There's no hoping. They are. In a queerbait way. Like I said previously I doubt they'll do anything explicit but it's obvious. Why you and deaftourette are so against the idea is beyond me. Unless you guys are just trolling.
Maybe they are bigots. Someone call HR!

kunonabi

It's been so quiet since Kevin Smith went silent after that Podcast? When he went in and started talking about Netflix not caring about "whiners".
He seems pretty focused on promoting Clerks III now. It's pretty clear somebody had a talk with him after that debacle. Aside from quickly promoting the Skeletor VS He-Man fight and talking about Evil-Lyn being the focus of part 2 I don't think he's said much. Hell, they had the Netflix shithead go on the Toygalaxy stream so I don't think we're going to see much of him until part 2 gets closer.

Hardensoul

He seems pretty focused on promoting Clerks III now. It's pretty clear somebody had a talk with him after that debacle. Aside from quickly promoting the Skeletor VS He-Man fight and talking about Evil-Lyn being the focus of part 2 I don't think he's said much. Hell, they had the Netflix shithead go on the Toygalaxy stream so I don't think we're going to see much of him until part 2 gets closer.
It's likely Netflix telling him to be quiet, it was basically the same time it was reported they lost a lot of subscribers.

The problem is not people hoping, theres always a small minority of shippers, it is people fearing such may happen in the current climate. It is not unheard of for attempts at race and gender or orientation bending to be done to established characters if they are heteronormative.

Hopefully by then this toxic form of feminism will have died out.
Ive heard people forget but some say even from first wave there was toxic misandry, and violence, iirc. It has always been toxic.

Though those are just rumors.

CGiRanger

Banned
More deconstruction by todays writers for your entertainment

And again the 200X He-Man series did things perfectly with Skeletor/Keldor being the brother of Randor who was denied his royal birthright due to his heritage, and then went mad after making a deal with the devil (Hordak) thanks to Evil Lyn.

But now, lol, Skeletor comes from a planet of Skeletors.... 🤡

sol_bad

I don't really have any interest in reading the comics, it's just a 4 issue mini series and I'm assuming each issue will just be based around a different character.

Xenon

And again the 200X He-Man series did things perfectly with Skeletor/Keldor being the brother of Randor who was denied his royal birthright due to his heritage, and then went mad after making a deal with the devil (Hordak) thanks to Evil Lyn.

But now, lol, Skeletor comes from a planet of Skeletors.... 🤡

His backstory has been skull fucked. Planet Skeletor images are hilarious.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I like it. It's different enough so it prevents me from comparing it to the 80s original, and the focus seems to be He-Man vs Skeletor, which is the point all along.

Cautiously optimistic, will definitely give it one watch.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I present to you the Ghost of Tsushima to Kevin Smith's The Last of Us Part II.

Looks about what I was expecting. Definitely aiming for the younger audience who grew up with a different brand of cartoons with that one. I think the animation is fine, not great.

Lokimaru

Scott's thought's on Skeletor's new origin.

How do we even know if Skeletor's telling the Truth here? Evil-Lyn immediately calls Bullshit on it Plus it's just a more Fleshed out version of Skeletor's original Toy Origin With some Filmation elements sprinkled in.
I like it. It's different enough so it prevents me from comparing it to the 80s original, and the focus seems to be He-Man vs Skeletor, which is the point all along.

Cautiously optimistic, will definitely give it one watch.
Yeah but it's not just about He-man and Skeletor despite what Target and Walmart want you to believe based on what Origins figures they keep in stock, I do have other figures in my collection.

Top Bottom