• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

jason10mm

Gold Member
So I watched this while at my in-laws on vacation. My 8 year old loved it. I don't think it was that bad, but the whole "Teela is angry and just quit" was fucking TERRIBLE because she bitches about everyone else knowing yet really just 4 other people, one a damned cat, knew and that didn't include the fucking KING OF ETERNIA so why so mad? They could have easily just had her be noble and try to rebuild after the exile of MaA.

The female design in the show was bad as well, all three looked like they had the same personal trainer and plastic surgeon.

Anyway, it wasn't as bad as I feared. I'll probably watch part 2 if I get access to Netflix again.

Had Kevin Smith and the marketing been more honest about the plot from the get go I don't think this show would have gotten nearly as much hate. That PR move to promote it as a he-man show was really bizarre.

Toons

Banned
So I watched this while at my in-laws on vacation. My 8 year old loved it. I don't think it was that bad, but the whole "Teela is angry and just quit" was fucking TERRIBLE because she bitches about everyone else knowing yet really just 4 other people, one a damned cat, knew and that didn't include the fucking KING OF ETERNIA so why so mad? They could have easily just had her be noble and try to rebuild after the exile of MaA.

The female design in the show was bad as well, all three looked like they had the same personal trainer and plastic surgeon.

Anyway, it wasn't as bad as I feared. I'll probably watch part 2 if I get access to Netflix again.

Had Kevin Smith and the marketing been more honest about the plot from the get go I don't think this show would have gotten nearly as much hate. That PR move to promote it as a he-man show was really bizarre.

Good to see a balanced take at least

sol_bad

I still eagerly await the 2nd part and will watch the first 5 episodes again.
I tried watching the newer kiddy show as well but it wasn't for me, watched 2 episodes and not motivated to watch anymore.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I present to you the Ghost of Tsushima to Kevin Smith's The Last of Us Part II.

You could talk about the quality of the art and animation and how obviously targets kids that are used to this style nowadays.

But AT LEAST it's recognizable as the dumb, simple fun that characterizes this franchise: an awesome team of goodies, doing awesome things and fighting villains.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, revelations is about what I expected in terms of 'adult plotting', pretty much like the Transformers animated film. It's critical flaw (IMHO) is that it focuses so much on teela and not on why Adam kept his secret and what kind of responsibility it is to weild the sword.

Corpsepyre

Banned
motu-revelation-part-2-teaser.jpg

Ooo yeah.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Lay off Teela, she's still mad that the states biggest secret wasn't revealed to her the INSTANT she became "need to know" as the new Man-at-Arms (which, quite frankly, was a bizarre way to transition the 'name' of a character into a title instead).

The lack of a face on barbarian guy makes me wonder if "primordial He-man" is going to be a separate entity from Prince Adam and it is more deceptive marketing. I don't see this show ending in any other way than Teela getting the sword and having her own metamorphosis (into She-Ra?) or somehow destroying the binary sword for good 'cause "it's too much power for any MAN to have", though they will probably anoint her as the new Sorceress as well.

Maybe He-man's "essence" was trapped somehow, like how Skeletor hid(?) in Evil-Lyn's staff and they can release it but without Adam to imprint on he has amnesia or something, maybe is just unleashed toxic masculinity. Seems pretty clear that Prince Adam is in the Eternia version of Valhalla/Black Panther afterlife and isn't coming back.

CGiRanger

Banned
That damn Heela Haircut is so awful. What the hell was the thinking behind it?

I never see people in real life with that kind of hair at all.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Its called the bi bob haircut. Since Teela is now bisexual she must also have the appropriate hair for the modern audience.

acm2000

i enjoyed it for what it was, got better as it went on and looking forward to part 2 as it was actually starting to ramp up.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
To make up for lack of he-man in part one, we give you Mega He-Man.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
To make up for lack of he-man in part one, we give you Mega He-Man.

This is a single story. Do you know long it takes to draw animation? This stuff was mostly done already last year and earlier this year BEFORE it came out in August. They can't just draw and animate a whole show in 3 months. This isn't South Park LMBO

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This is a single story. Do you know long it takes to draw animation? This stuff was mostly done already last year and earlier this year BEFORE it came out in August. They can't just draw and animate a whole show in 3 months. This isn't South Park LMBO
I enjoyed the 1st part was just making a joke.

*Nightwing

Almost 40 years ago the series debuted and created a world with its own magical rules.

One of these being:
“Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword and said, "By the power of Grayskull! I have the power!"

40 years of continuity of he-man getting his powers from his magical sword. 40 years of skeletors motivation being acquiring said sword of power for himself.

All subverted because with poor writing skills unable to write something within the established world already created previously, kevin smith and team have to resort to the lowest common denominator, feel good, the power was inside you all along narrative in exact contradiction to the established story that’s almost 40 years old already

sol_bad

Trailer is very cool, kind of wish I didn't watch it though. Love Evil Lynn's new design. Guess they have to make as many designs as possible to make toys. LOL

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So He-Man goes full THE BEAST? Dubious status of the show fucking him off have been shattered.

What this show needs is pacing though. There's no breathing room or down time for things to matter. That's the biggest problem with it. From the S2 trailer it's doing interesting enough things.

S1 was a 6/10 as fuck but could have been an easy 8 by letting the moments land.

sol_bad

Keep in mind, it's not really season 2. All 10 episodes were made together and could have been released together. Netflix decided to split the show up.
Kevin Smith probably had no idea that this would happen when he started mouthing off at all the negative talk online.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Doesn't matter that they bring back He-Man. The characters are attrocious. The writing is horrible. The retcons are asinine beyond belief.

Wasted 100 minutes of my life watching this shit. Won't repeat that mistake.

Fuck you, Kevin Smith. Go fuck yourself for ruining the first IP I loved when I was a small child.

At least the CGI show is more enjoyable.

Also, literal LOL at the people who are actually buying into this shit AGAIN and think that He-Man is going to be the focus of the 2nd part.

Spoiler warning, you delusional shills: He won't.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Yeah, the trailer did look amazing but this is a continuation of the supposed last season so don't expect too much if you were not a fan ,but if you enjoyed last season then this should be a treat.

sol_bad

Doesn't matter that they bring back He-Man. The characters are attrocious. The writing is horrible. The retcons are asinine beyond belief.

Fuck you, Kevin Smith. Go fuck yourself for ruining the first IP I loved when I was a small child.

Also, literal LOL at the people who are actually buying into this shit AGAIN and think that He-Man is going to be the focus of the 2nd part.

We aren't buying into anything, we enjoyed the first part. Even if He-Man is barely in part 2 I'm sure I'll still enjoy it quite thoroughly.
The CGI show is written for children and is boring.

Nickolaidas

Banned
You can literally see the damage Part 1 did to the franchise. Its teaser had gathered 2 million views within a single day? Half a day?

Part 2 is almost a day and is on 385K views right now. Not even 15K likes, while the Part 1 teaser had gathered hundreds of thousands of likes.

The teaser showed how much the Filmation version had created an entire generation of fans.

Part 2 trailer showed how much Kevin Smith damaged the brand.

We aren't buying into anything, we enjoyed the first part. Even if He-Man is barely in part 2 I'm sure I'll still enjoy it quite thoroughly.
The CGI show is written for children and is boring.
Good for you. Doesn't make it any less of a shitty, soul-less piece of crap which utterly destroyed every single character of the IP.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You can literally see the damage Part 1 did to the franchise. Its teaser had gathered 2 million views within a single day? Half a day?

Part 2 is almost a day and is on 385K views right now. Not even 15K likes, while the Part 1 teaser had gathered hundreds of thousands of likes.

The teaser showed how much the Filmation version had created an entire generation of fans.

Part 2 trailer showed how much Kevin Smith damaged the brand.

Good for you. Doesn't make it any less of a shitty, soul-less piece of crap which utterly destroyed every single character of the IP.

I think the outrage YouTubers who left out a ton of story beats did that damage more than the actual toon.

Atrus

Gold Member
Just finished watching Maya and the Three, the new limited series on Netflix, and one of the first things that came to my mind was how completely it supersedes Kevin Smith's limited series He-Man in every way.

Despite being rated ages 7+ it deals with more mature themes while delivering a memorable cast of characters with more depth. Hilariously, there’s also more action, violence and death to boot all while featuring more female characters, none of which is the sort of irrational, angry ‘need no man’ feminist stereotype that characterizes Teela.

It just goes to show how terrible this mess is and how poor the “it was a kids show!” excuse is for this wreck of a series that chose to kill the past with an even more immature take on “maturity” than a series created specifically for children.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
That Maya show is DOPE. Creative, fun, "diverse", everything the leftys should be praising. Probably means it was made outside the US.

CGiRanger

Banned
Just finished watching Maya and the Three, the new limited series on Netflix, and one of the first things that came to my mind was how completely it supersedes Kevin Smith's limited series He-Man in every way.

Despite being rated ages 7+ it deals with more mature themes while delivering a memorable cast of characters with more depth. Hilariously, there’s also more action, violence and death to boot all while featuring more female characters, none of which is the sort of irrational, angry ‘need no man’ feminist stereotype that characterizes Teela.

It just goes to show how terrible this mess is and how poor the “it was a kids show!” excuse is for this wreck of a series that chose to kill the past with an even more immature take on “maturity” than a series created specifically for children.
Again it's amazing how Teela is basically a perfect representation of the so-called "Toxic Masculinity" personality and behaviors that these woke virtue signalers constantly decry against (constantly angry, aggressive, lacking of empathy, etc.). Yet somehow as long as the person has breasts and a vagina, then it's suddenly a-ok in their book as well.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think the outrage YouTubers who left out a ton of story beats did that damage more than the actual toon.

Always the same excuse with you types.

The show is just shit. Its OK that you like shit, but good lord. Stop trying to make up these sad little excuses why the show is rightfully criticized.

Last edited:

Ionian

Did he do his usual crying video after it launched?

He's such a lucky bastard, he admits it though so hard to hate.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Cope and move on bruh. Series isn't for you. If it's shit it's shit you don't need to keep explaining yourself.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Always the same excuse with you types.

The show is just shit. Its OK that you like shit, but good lord. Stop trying to make up these sad little excuses why the show is rightfully criticized.

I watched it and liked it. But I've seen the videos that really DO leave out a ton and then I watched it for myself and saw how much the reviewers left out.

The show can be criticized but do so honestly... Don't leave out things that inherently change the story once you watch it.

Top Bottom