• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land launches March 25th

blacktout

Is there gacha crap in the game? 50 second mark with him using the vending machine

Looks like the vending machines just give out little figurines, probably to decorate Kirby's house or something. I doubt there will be any real world money involved. In the trailer, it comes right after Kirby talks to some character who tells him which copy ability is currently most popular, so they're probably part of some online community feature. Maybe they're a reward for completing daily challenges or something and can be displayed on your profile. Either way, I doubt they have any real influence on the game.

Bayonetta has never sold well. But didn't stop me from claiming part 2 was the GOTY the year it came out. Kirby and Triangle will have modest success that covers their budgets. I doubt anything bombs other than Bayonetta. We'll see if that series gets the Switch bump or if its forever cursed.

Yeah, I was wondering which three they could possibly have been referring too. Aside from Bayonetta and Advance Wars, all of these games come from series that have matched or exceeded sales expectations on the Switch. Even Octopath Traveler was a surprise success, so I don't think there's any reason to think Triangle Strategy will bomb.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Don't these games skew a little younger in terms of gameplay/difficulty? I don't mind "people of all ages" theming that Nintendo is fantastic at, but I always thought Kirby was actually meant for kids.

Not the case? Wouldn't mind more good Switch games. :messenger_beaming:

Kacho

Gold Member
Don't these games skew a little younger in terms of gameplay/difficulty? I don't mind "people of all ages" theming that Nintendo is fantastic at, but I always thought Kirby was actually meant for kids.

The 2D Kirby games are definitely more geared towards kids. They are brain dead easy until the post game stuff, though still fun and charming in their own right. This one looks a bit more complex simply because it’s 3D, but we’ll have to wait and see just how much. Not expecting Mario Odyssey levels of challenge with this one.

They're definitely easy. It's the only other series my girlfriend loves besides Animal Crossing.

However, they are usually excessively polished and have pleasant visuals. All the 3DS ones also have lots of neat touches like very polished UI and menus. There's collectibles in levels that can be hidden as well.

It's a chill, fun game. The last Switch game was actually one of the weaker entries in the series. This looks like a return to form, on par with the great 3DS games hopefully. Both of those still completely hold up and had great use of 3D on the screens as well.

Woopah

Well, technically February has no Nintendo-published games at all, but March has two, so that's fine. I think Advance Wars was dated for April on eShop by mistake. So that's that. I don't know what would be May or June releases though. Splatoon perhaps. Hope they have a Direct soon so we know more of N's plans.
Yes it's not always exactly one every month, but that's the rough release schedule (for retail games, then there are digital games on top of that).

I think Advance Wars comes April, Splatoon 3 comes in July, Bayonetta 3 in October and BOTW in November. The Feb Direct should reveal 2-3 more games for this year.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wow, 3D Kibry looks nice and despite not being their flagship, better than pretty much anything else trying to pass as a 3D platformer. I didn't know it exists and had last seen the previous Kirby game thinking they once again don't know how to go 3D for it.

Also, I haven't compared this for sure but, despite looking similar to Odyssey they don't seem to reuse assets, even rocks, flowers, water shaders, materials like sand, like, why not, nobody would notice or care, as long as the full game is as different as this.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Looks like the vending machines just give out little figurines, probably to decorate Kirby's house or something. I doubt there will be any real world money involved. In the trailer, it comes right after Kirby talks to some character who tells him which copy ability is currently most popular, so they're probably part of some online community feature. Maybe they're a reward for completing daily challenges or something and can be displayed on your profile. Either way, I doubt they have any real influence on the game.

Yeah, I was wondering which three they could possibly have been referring too. Aside from Bayonetta and Advance Wars, all of these games come from series that have matched or exceeded sales expectations on the Switch. Even Octopath Traveler was a surprise success, so I don't think there's any reason to think Triangle Strategy will bomb.

They? I'm a man/he/him/penis!

angry kirby GIF

Nintendo is dropping bombs all year.

Pokemon Arceus
Mario + Rabies 2
Kirby FW
Triangle Strategy
Advance Wars 1+2
Splatoon 3
Bayonetta 3

At a minimum.

yep, Nintendo packing the heat in 2022....and that is without the granddaddy of them all BOTW2!! Sony and MS might as well stay home in 2022, it's a wrap for Nintendo

Last edited:

Bakkus

I still think this game looks way too unambitions for finally being a 3D Kirby game, but I'll cross my fingers.

Chastten

Banned
Oh man, looks great. Star Allies didn't do it for me and was a huge dissapointment after the fantastic 3DS games but this looks like it might be a lot of fun.

Robb

Gold Member
Looks surprisingly great! I’ll wait for reviews though, mainly to hear more about the difficulty. I always feel the Kirby games are way too easy.

Last edited:

Eevee86

Looks surprisingly great! I’ll wait for reviews though, mainly to hear more about the difficulty. I always feel the Kirby games are way too easy.
He was designed for people that have never held a controller in their life and that's probably never going to change.

Woopah

Wow, 3D Kibry looks nice and despite not being their flagship, better than pretty much anything else trying to pass as a 3D platformer. I didn't know it exists and had last seen the previous Kirby game thinking they once again don't know how to go 3D for it.

Also, I haven't compared this for sure but, despite looking similar to Odyssey they don't seem to reuse assets, even rocks, flowers, water shaders, materials like sand, like, why not, nobody would notice or care, as long as the full game is as different as this.
HAL is an independent company, I don't think they'd ask Nintendo to give them assets.

Aldric

Bayonetta has never sold well. But didn't stop me from claiming part 2 was the GOTY the year it came out. Kirby and Triangle will have modest success that covers their budgets. I doubt anything bombs other than Bayonetta. We'll see if that series gets the Switch bump or if its forever cursed.
Bayonetta won't bomb. Games don't bomb on Switch except if they're complete garbage like Sushi Striker. Bayo 3 will be a solid success, will probably outsell the first game. As for this new Kirby I'm pretty sure it's going to be a big hit, 5 million copies at least.

VN1X

Banned
Bayonetta won't bomb. Games don't bomb on Switch except if they're complete garbage like Sushi Striker. Bayo 3 will be a solid success, will probably outsell the first game. As for this new Kirby I'm pretty sure it's going to be a big hit, 5 million copies at least.
Will you bet your avatar on it?

RomanceDawn

This was such a long time coming for me. Back in the N64 days I was so excited to see franchises take the plunge into 3D.

Yoshi Story stayed 2D and I thought huh. Oh well I was excited beyond belief regardless.

Donkey Kong had a go with mixed results but I couldn't wait to see what they'd try afterward. Mario, Zelda, Starfox( already 3D really) and what ever else made successful leaps to 3D. I wanted so much more of that, especially Kirby. Kirby stuck with 2D and I was like well ok, it's still fun.

With Gamecube I remember very much thinking Sunshine's Yoshi and Kirby's Air Ride were paving the way for 3D entries in their respective series. Wario World and Metriod Prime came about and I just knew everything would be 3D. Not that it needed to be of course but I really really wanted 3D entries in everything.

Donkey Kong went back to 2D with the absolutely incredible Jungle Beat and there was no Yoshi or Kirby adventure at all if I remember correctly. The first little glimpse of Kirby for Gamecube showed up but it was a 2D game that just took it's good and plenty time until Return To Dream Land.

Wii furthered more 2D Donkey Kong, 2D Kirby and 2D Yoshi(well for DS systems). All great and amazing games but I really really wanted a few 3D entries. With Galaxy 2 I just knew all them Yoshi mechanics were going to get their own game complete with 3D egg tossing!

Wii U came and more 2D Donkey Kong, more 2D Yoshi and more 2D Kirby. Each entry I enjoyed but man I just wanted a little more!

Switch is here and giving me all of my dream games. BotW was my dream Zelda. Smash Ultimate featuring Ridley has been my dream Smash. Still longing for Dixie but beggars can't be choosers. Sonic Mania has been my Dream 2D Sonic! Co-op Sonic and Knuckles baby! 3rd grade me used to dream of that! Not even the mighty Game Genie could grant that wish. Now it looks like I could be getting my dream Kirby! 3D alone doesn't mean jack ship but holy smokes I'm glad they are at least trying!

If Nintendo's systems got at least one 2D entry and one 3D entry of these franchises I would be mega super happy.

Top Bottom