• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and The Forgotten Land | Review Mega Thread

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Two things:
The direction and the game design.

The graphics, sound design, creative op, interactive animation, art direction etc...are extremely poor (not bad, just really bland and poor compared to other Kirby's), but mostly importantly the game design is weak, rigid and empty which matches the overall direction. I'm not impress by the laziness in design, concept and structures, the only new thing being mouthfull abilities which are very limited in interactions, dual and evolved abilities not being new. Creative direction is incredibly weak and you can see it from the intro: they used in-game assets for a soundless, effectless rendering, and another example is when you free waddles from cage there's almost zero interaction, animation and noise. Overall the game feels pretty shallow and vapid in it's interactive design the same way, it doesn't feel really good.

Nintendo put very little effort in this game, which you could guess from the trailers, even though their main added value is game craft and design: compared to Tropical Freeze, Luigi's or Odyssey, it's very cheap, when it could have been a new 3D/adventure platformer must-have. It's the old Wii's milking and empoverishment scenario again.

If it was an AA indie game, which it clearly is comparable to, I'd say it's between "meh" and "weak" especially compared to masterpieces like Hats in Time or It Takes Two, except it's sold by a corporation as an AAA.
If I had to compare, if Super Mario Odyssey is the Mozart, Aphex Twin, Snoop Dog of 3D plateformers, Kirby Forgotten Land is the Carly Rae Jepsen but if she didn't even do Call me Maybe.

Nonetheless: great OP, it's like an interactive, animated thread.

This absolutely reads like someone who hasn't actually played the game.

Varteras

Gold Member
I may have to pick this up. I usually only play my Switch when I travel but even then it's usually more simplistic, light-hearted games like this

Shifty

This absolutely reads like someone who hasn't actually played the game.
Almost like they noticed the "stop console warring" mod note on their initial contribution, then moved to avoid further action by piecing together a lengthy - if equally insincere - take that would pass basic scrutiny :pie_thinking:

At least it isn't shitting up the first page of the lovely OT anymore.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Almost like they noticed the "stop console warring" mod note on their initial contribution, then moved to avoid further action by piecing together a lengthy - if equally insincere - take that would pass basic scrutiny :pie_thinking:

At least it isn't shitting up the first page of the lovely OT anymore.

Very true. The user has a long history of shitting on Nintendo, so not sure who he is trying to convince here. The demo literally disproves the majority of his post.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Two things:
The direction and the game design.

The graphics, sound design, creative op, interactive animation, art direction etc...are extremely poor (not bad, just really bland and poor compared to other Kirby's), but mostly importantly the game design is weak, rigid and empty which matches the overall direction. I'm not impress by the laziness in design, concept and structures, the only new thing being mouthfull abilities which are very limited in interactions, dual and evolved abilities not being new. Creative direction is incredibly weak and you can see it from the intro: they used in-game assets for a soundless, effectless rendering, and another example is when you free waddles from cage there's almost zero interaction, animation and noise. Overall the game feels pretty shallow and vapid in it's interactive design the same way, it doesn't feel really good.

Nintendo put very little effort in this game, which you could guess from the trailers, even though their main added value is game craft and design: compared to Tropical Freeze, Luigi's or Odyssey, it's very cheap, when it could have been a new 3D/adventure platformer must-have. It's the old Wii's milking and empoverishment scenario again.

If it was an AA indie game, which it clearly is comparable to, I'd say it's between "meh" and "weak" especially compared to masterpieces like Hats in Time or It Takes Two, except it's sold by a corporation as an AAA.
If I had to compare, if Super Mario Odyssey is the Mozart, Aphex Twin, Snoop Dog of 3D plateformers, Kirby Forgotten Land is the Carly Rae Jepsen but if she didn't even do Call me Maybe.

Nonetheless: great OP, it's like an interactive, animated thread.

Yo can you take a photo on your phone of your TV screen so we can see how much you have played, just because this is the complete opposite pretty much of my experience. Only thing I would agree with is that Mario Odyssey is a better game (and it is) but not by some grand Canyon gulf as your saying here. It's a certainly superior to hat in time especially in level design structure. Theres a definite intent behind each level and each room in the zone sets up normally by the first enemy, you see what ability will be the most useful for that area, Not forcing you to switch but nudging you along the lines.

It's a very well crafted game and certainly has that Nintendo AAA feel to it, more so than the likes of Fire Emblem for example, which feels jank and unresponsive.

Just so where playing fair and people know I can give a decent opinion here's a screen shot of my save file.

lk1AUdx.jpg

Not saying you can't have on an opinion for a game your only 10% through, but ya know it might just be a bad one.

Solid 9/10 for sure.

Last edited:
Certainly this is an easy game, but that's fine with me. There are plenty of other, more challenging games on the Switch. Sometimes I want to play something that's fun and not too taxing, especially when I'm the wrong side of a few beers.

I can't agree with the criticism of the presentation at all. They've done really well to make a ruined lost world look really pretty. And I love the animation, especially when Kirby is trying and failing to inhale something.

It's nowhere near Mario Odyssey for me, but very few games are. It's an excellent title.

Shifty

Photobragging eh? You're on.

A22qpGJ.jpg

I trust that establishes my credentials.

Why yes that is a full set of Kirby nendoroids and Kirby Super Star terrariums thanks for asking.
No I'm not massively biased by being a huge Kirby mark how very dare you.

Last edited:

kevm3

This is the best Kirby game I've played period. I enjoy this more than Mario Odyssey but I can see how a lot of people would prefer that. I'm actually motivated to try to complete the levels and there is actually decent difficulty at the end. It's unfortunate Nintendo waits until after you beat the game to ramp the difficulty up.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When playing through Kirby and the Forgotten Land, there was one word that came to my mind repeatedly, over and over again - “delightful”. It might sound like a bit of a cliched refrain, but it really fits.

Everything the game does just made me smile. Yes, there are a few minor unnecessary errors, but I honestly stopped trying to keep track of those, and went along for the ride. And what a delightful, joyous, smile inducing ride it has been. If happiness was distilled into a video game, it would be Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Notabueno

Banned
Yo can you take a photo on your phone of your TV screen so we can see how much you have played, just because this is the complete opposite pretty much of my experience. Only thing I would agree with is that Mario Odyssey is a better game (and it is) but not by some grand Canyon gulf as your saying here. It's a certainly superior to hat in time especially in level design structure. Theres a definite intent behind each level and each room in the zone sets up normally by the first enemy, you see what ability will be the most useful for that area, Not forcing you to switch but nudging you along the lines.

It's a very well crafted game and certainly has that Nintendo AAA feel to it, more so than the likes of Fire Emblem for example, which feels jank and unresponsive.

Just so where playing fair and people know I can give a decent opinion here's a screen shot of my save file.

Not saying you can't have on an opinion for a game your only 10% through, but ya know it might just be a bad one.

Solid 9/10 for sure.

I stopped there:
20220331-033122-copy.jpg

I got bored after the amusement park, the gameplay fluid but too simple and makes the design feels weak and vapid, the levels loops are cute but repetitive and simplistic, the mini-games in the waddle town are limited compared to other kirby and the collectible are just shallow asset re-use.

Mediocre fans killed Nintendo, this is definitive, that's why for 2022 the stock will continue stagnating down.

Odyssey is a solid 9/10, which is extremely rare, Kirby is at best a 6.5/10 objectively (a 5.5/10 to me), so no it's nowhere near a AAA but the fact that many people bought it at 60€ means once again after the Wii U, Nintendo will kill itself through mediocre users, but my old colleagues already told me... AND I mean Kirby is fine at 6.5, but Arceus...not tolerating this level of dumb, tasteless degeneracy, fuck em'.

Last edited:

drganon

Tried out the demo and enjoyed it. The abandoned city setting gave me some nier automata vibes, but alot more colorful.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I got bored after the amusement park, the gameplay fluid but too simple and makes the design feels weak and vapid, the levels loops are cute but repetitive and simplistic, the mini-games in the waddle town are limited compared to other kirby and the collectible are just shallow asset re-use.

Mediocre fans killed Nintendo, this is definitive, that's why for 2022 the stock will continue stagnating down.

Odyssey is a solid 9/10, which is extremely rare, Kirby is at best a 6.5/10 objectively (a 5.5/10 to me), so no it's nowhere near a AAA but the fact that many people bought it at 60€ means once again after the Wii U, Nintendo will kill itself through mediocre users, but my old colleagues already told me... AND I mean Kirby is fine at 6.5, but Arceus...not tolerating this level of dumb, tasteless degeneracy, fuck em'.
The amusement park is 3 worlds into the game. You effectively didn't even play half of it and then claim objectivity? Game-Reviews are subjective anyway, but this is just ironic.

I don't get the criticism for the graphics either. Enemy animations in the background have lower frame rate, and there are also a few blurry textures if you look for them, but other than that the game looks great!
It's incredibly detailed, especially for a Switch game. There is tons of variety in the sceneries. It's nicely animated. There is some great lightning, some great effects in general, and the camera is also quite often positioned in a way to give the player eye candy.

The game gets very creative later on, especially World 3, 5, and World 7 are highlights and showcases how much care was put into this game. Despite this, it's still undeniably Kirby. Nintendo often walks the line between charmingly nostalgic and uniquely creative, and Kirby and the Forgotten Land showcases this perfectly. It combines traditional Kirby elements effortlessly with new ones.
The levels are pleasing from a visual standpoint and from a gameplay standpoint. It also controls very nicely. A perfect transition from 2D to 3D in that regard.

Kirby's abilities are put to great use here, and playing around with them adds to the overall enjoyment (there should be more though). I never had this much fun using, experimenting, and mastering Kirby's abilities in any other game of the franchise.

...oh, and did I mention the soundtrack?

The only thing that IMO is worth criticizing is that in Kirby tradition, the game is very easy for the most part. It would be great if HAL would implement an actual hard mode for once, Kirby was always very accessible in that regard though. Other than that, this game is a success on all fronts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rran

Been a Kirby fan my whole life and this is one of his best games (and one of the best games Nintendo has released in a while). It's polished, charming, creative, and packed full of love.

DareDaniel

Banned
Finished on yuzu. Best fun I've ever had in a 3D platformer game since Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, it's always so charming and addictive.
Played the whole game in co-op with my wife, it's a great game for a noob as player 2 can come back to the game after dying.
This was my first Kirby game since the original on game boy (lol), need to play more.

cireza

Banned
As someone who loved both Kirby games on 3DS, I found this one really meh-ish. The world is not as fun as in previous games. I certainly don't want to traverse "realistic" terrain in a Kirby game. 3D gameplay felt like a useless addition, it made the game less attractive and stages more boring for the most. That endless, ugly bridge eehhhh. I felt that the point of view was too far as well, at least for handheld gaming.

3DS games were such a blast, full of great ideas, awesome level-design and fantastic use of 3D. Everything would just pop-out at any instant... they were super super fun. But here, it felt a bit bland for a Kirby game. We didn't gain anything in the transition to 3D gameplay and TV presentation, in my opinion.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
As someone who loved both Kirby games on 3DS, I found this one really meh-ish. The world is not as fun as in previous games. I certainly don't want to traverse "realistic" terrain in a Kirby game. 3D gameplay felt like a useless addition, it made the game less attractive and stages more boring for the most. That endless, ugly bridge eehhhh. I felt that the point of view was too far as well, at least for handheld gaming.

3DS games were such a blast, full of great ideas, awesome level-design and fantastic use of 3D. Everything would just pop-out at any instant... they were super super fun. But here, it felt a bit bland for a Kirby game. We didn't gain anything in the transition to 3D gameplay and TV presentation, in my opinion.
What's your favorite one cireza cireza ?

Wow, I'm surprised. I thought it was one of the best ones if not the very best. The handling on the car feels insanely good. Every level had casual exploration, then you go to the stars for some hardcore time challenges. Some of the stars requiring no hit runs on the bosses also added challenge. Thought the ending was on par with some Platinum Games, and goes over the top.

The theme of finding beauty in the mundane felt very Japanese to me, and I thought it was extremely charming. When humanity is dead and gone, some alien finds fun and interest in all the random things we leave behind: construction materials, an abandoned mall, an old car, and on. Felt kind of somber, hidden underneath the friendly family vibe. Can't think of another game that would take the time to celebrate a traffic cone, or a staircase.

The post-game content is great too. Feels like a full course meal.

Just glad to hear your impressions anyway, since so few people talk about it. One of my favorite games from last year.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Just glad to hear your impressions anyway, since so few people talk about it. One of my favorite games from last year.
Hal Laboratories are the best developers working for Nintendo with Retro. They always have great ideas and make great games.

I suggest you play both main Kirby games on 3DS with the 3D effect :)

What's your favorite one ?
I think I preferred a little Triple Deluxe to Planet Robobot, but honestly both were excellent. And talking about Platinum endings, these games delivered seriously as well. And all of this on 3DS, very impressive stuff. Otherwise my favorite "old" Kirby is the second one, on NES. Timeless game.

Last edited:
Hal Laboratories are the best developers working for Nintendo with Retro. They always have great ideas and make great games.

I suggest you play both main Kirby games on 3DS with the 3D effect :)

I think I preferred a little Triple Deluxe to Planet Robobot, but honestly both were excellent. And talking about Platinum endings, these games delivered seriously as well. And all of this on 3DS, very impressive stuff. Otherwise my favorite "old" Kirby is the second one, on NES. Timeless game.
I'm a huge fan of the 3DS ones. This definitely follows a similar game design model.

Top Bottom