• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF XV Official Reveal !!

GrayFoxPL

Team Wrestler

Wtf? Awful redesign.

He should be Ruski! Na choj, suka blat!

Russian Cheeki Breeki GIF by memecandy

kunonabi

Hiedern looks good and it's nice to have Ash back although the new look is eh. New characters look awful though.

WHAT?!

Ash returns with a new costume? Heidern is still part of the roster? Two females with awful design? A frigging black hole? UI that looks terrible?

I need more pictures and infos!!

Edit: I think the problem with new characters, including Shun'ei, is that they have too many colors going on. The black lady would look better with completely blonde hair imo.

Last edited:
I could deal without Ash, but with many of the returning cast showcasing evolved versions of their 3D models from KoFXIV, I'm not particularly surprised SNK got around to adding him. As for the two new women, they could look decent, once fully revealed and seen in game. From the image, however, they appear to fall into the same trap as many of the new cast and new outfits from KoFXIV--everything is over designed and no longer visually has much (if any) grounding in the real world.

Last edited:
I could deal without Ash, but with many of the returning cast showcasing evolved versions of their 3D models from KoFXIV, I'm not particularly surprised SNK got around to adding him. As for the two new women, they could look decent, once fully revealed and seen in game. From the image, however, they appear to fall into the same trap as many of the new cast and new outfits from KoFXIV--everything is over designed and no longer visually has much (if any) grounding in the real world.
Ass Crimson and the Jojos fight for questionable fashion!

Fuz

Banned
Fuck ash and fuck the moron who designed it.

I think I like that new girl design... not sure about the "pirate" in the foreground.

Relique

So base game is 60 bucks. Deluxe for 85 with 6 more characters. UI has 52 spots so another season pass is probably coming. Expectation shattering, but not in a good way. Idk if I want to pay them 85 bucks for a roster size smaller than KOFXIV when some of these characters are literally unchanged frame by frame besides giving them a glowup. No one I mained from 14 is even coming back from the looks of things.

Last edited:
SNK is, at least, being upfront with their business model. Nothing from KoFXIV is getting me excited, and I no longer spend enough time with most fighting games to justify being an early adopter of this title. I'll probably circle back around, once more DLC has been released and the various price drops start hitting.

Last edited:

McCheese

I love how they've not evolved it at all, this is the same game 90's SNK would have made if they had todays technology. But pretty gutted it got delayed to 2022, given it's reusing a lot and is already far from the most graphically impressive fighter I really thought they would hit November, there are a bunch of other games out in Feb '22 that'll take much higher priority over this :(

Last edited:
The roster is not bad. 39 is still a lot for the base roster of a current-gen game *cough*SFV*cough*. XIV has a bigger roster but nobody cares about many of its characters like Nakoruru’s team and the South America team. Why have a big-ass roster if a dozen characters will be disliked or overlooked?

I wonder if Kim is going to be in this one? There’s only one team left in the base roster with no members revealed, and Heidern must fit somewhere. It would be weird if Kim ends up being a DLC character

Ash is probably going to team up with two characters among Elizabeth, Shen Woo, Duo Lon and Oswald. The new girl with the hat is probably going to have the black lady with her along some new or returning female character.

There’s also four DLC teams in the character select screen, so anyone can make it there. Maybe Geese’s team, Kensou and Chin coming back with a new teammate, or a Mark of the Wolves team. Heck, Kim and Takuma together would be a nice mix.

Last edited:

Relique

The roster is not bad. 39 is still a lot for the base roster of a current-gen game *cough*SFV*cough*. XIV has a bigger roster but nobody cares about many of its characters like Nakoruru’s team and the South America team. Why have a big-ass roster if a dozen characters will be disliked or overlooked?

I wonder if Kim is going to be in this one? There’s only one team left in the base roster with no members revealed, and Heidern must fit somewhere. It would be weird if Kim ends up being a DLC character

Ash is probably going to team up with two characters among Elizabeth, Shen Woo, Duo Lon and Oswald. The new girl with the hat is probably going to have the black lady with her along some new or returning female character.

There’s also four DLC teams in the character select screen, so anyone can make it there. Maybe Geese’s team, Kensou and Chin coming back with a new teammate, or a Mark of the Wolves team. Heck, Kim and Takuma together would be a nice mix.

It's funny you said that and then asked about Kim. The roster is small enough that popular characters are going to inevitably be left out. This needed to be at least to be 45 characters to feel good.
Based on what's been shown, Kim's chances are slim unless they somehow shoehorn him into a team that makes no sense. I don't see him coming back with a Taekwondo or reformed criminals like usual. There is no room.
There are 9 question marks on the character select screen in trailer. 2 with Ash, 2 with K`, 2 with the new girl, and an unknown team. Heidern is on the cover so maybe with him.

It's funny you said that and then asked about Kim. The roster is small enough that popular characters are going to inevitably be left out. This needed to be at least to be 45 characters to feel good.
Based on what's been shown, Kim's chances are slim unless they somehow shoehorn him into a team that makes no sense. I don't see him coming back with a Taekwondo or reformed criminals like usual. There is no room.
There are 9 question marks on the character select screen in trailer. 2 with Ash, 2 with K`, 2 with the new girl, and an unknown team. Heidern is on the cover so maybe with him.
It would be a disappointment if Kim is removed, he’s been around in every single KoF. Not as iconic as Terry or Ryo, but he’s one of the most memorable Fatal Fury characters. I feel he deserves to be present more than Luong or King of Dinosaurs. That said, the chances of him being present are now slim indeed since Heidern is already confirmed and there’s only one unknown team left. Thinking on it, maybe the base roster would have been better with one more team and 42 characters in total.

There are a LOT of match-ups for Kim:
- Kim and Chang/Choi
- Kim and Raiden/Hwa (terrible team imo, not worth including)
- Kim and Jhun / May Lee (my dream team)
- Kim and Gong / May Lee
- Kim and his sons from Mark of the Wolves (very repetitive movesets, never gonna happen)
- Kim and Fatal Fury characters (like Hon-Fu and Duck Ling)
Kim and Art of Fighting characters (Takuma, Todoh father or daughter)

Relique

It would be a disappointment if Kim is removed, he’s been around in every single KoF. Not as iconic as Terry or Ryo, but he’s one of the most memorable Fatal Fury characters. I feel he deserves to be present more than Luong or King of Dinosaurs. That said, the chances of him being present are now slim indeed since Heidern is already confirmed and there’s only one unknown team left. Thinking on it, maybe the base roster would have been better with one more team and 42 characters in total.

There are a LOT of match-ups for Kim:
- Kim and Chang/Choi
- Kim and Raiden/Hwa (terrible team imo, not worth including)
- Kim and Jhun / May Lee (my dream team)
- Kim and Gong / May Lee
- Kim and his sons from Mark of the Wolves (very repetitive movesets, never gonna happen)
- Kim and Fatal Fury characters (like Hon-Fu and Duck Ling)
Kim and Art of Fighting characters (Takuma, Todoh father or daughter)
These were all great possibilities, and one of these might have been likely had they not dropped the bomb today. One thing I will say that artist comments on Luong's changes mention her "seemingly working in opposition of Kim and Gang-Il this time", hinting that those two were in. It does make me think of a few possibilities:
-Kim and Gang-Il are actually in the third team and Heidern will somehow have to fit in one of these 4 remaining teams. It's not impossible for him to team with Kim, K`, or Ash really.
-They slipped up and made those comments before he had to be cut.
-He will be in one of the early DLC teams.

He is still my main in 14 so I'd love to have him back. Unfortunately, none of the characters I played seriously in 14 apparently made the cut. (Geese, Hein, Vice, Mature, Oswald, and Kim.)
I feel like if this had just two more teams it would have been perfect. Whatever we already have + Heidern team + Kim's team + Southtown team.
It feels a bit off in that there are no "bad guys" or grey characters except the Orochi team. Like they brought back all these heroes to seemingly fight threats (NESTS+Those from the past+Orochi+Rugal) but somehow its just all good guys fighting each other.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Will skip this was expecting this to be the King of Fighters 2002, Tekken Tag 2 style of game with a roster that's features nearly every past character or close to it. I expected atleast 60 characters because they were residing assets.

Pejo

I have to say, from reveal to today, I think the game looks way better. I'm actually sold at launch now. Roster is still missing a few of the cooler characters, but I'm sure they're saving them for DLC bait. What they're offering is worth the money if the rollback netcode works well. I haven't been excited for a KOF game in a long time, it feels pretty good.

Labolas

NOCDtxc.png

3JkRkl0.png

Hopefully this will be good.

Give me old FF anime vibes, I love it.
Dear god please

Let snks kof 15 beat guilty gear. I'm tired of may and the footlicker/armpit licking fambase. And may chin and Xanadu return so I cam troll myself to another semi final.

Yeah personally I don't want KOF15 to blow up like GG did. I don't want people to jump on KOF because it's the new hottest and immediately drop it within a couple of weeks to a month. You get guys like Rooflemonger who act like they're the biggest fans of the series and think that they're really knowledgeable on the series. I appreciate the smaller community of committed fans and players.

I don't even think it's hard too beat Strive in sales. But to me, it's already beating Strive where it counts. Gameplay. It didn't have to sacrifice mechanics for a "simpler" game. Hell, GG community is already having a schism because of the gameplay and people being tired of it.

Relique

Give me old FF anime vibes, I love it.

Yeah personally I don't want KOF15 to blow up like GG did. I don't want people to jump on KOF because it's the new hottest and immediately drop it within a couple of weeks to a month. You get guys like Rooflemonger who act like they're the biggest fans of the series and think that they're really knowledgeable on the series. I appreciate the smaller community of committed fans and players.

I don't even think it's hard too beat Strive in sales. But to me, it's already beating Strive where it counts. Gameplay. It didn't have to sacrifice mechanics for a "simpler" game. Hell, GG community is already having a schism because of the gameplay and people being tired of it.

We'd rather see this sell and see play so that we don't have to wait another 6 years for an update. It's better than feeling like a special snowflake "part of a small community"... what's the point in that if your favorite series disappears every few years due to nearly going bankrupt? Look at what is happening to Samurai Showdown, an excellent game stuck in irrelevancy because the netcode is so bad even SNK fans won't play it.

Also the small community doesn't help when people are trying to pick up and learn the game. Over the years I've seen so many people give the series a fair try and stick with it a few months only to give up after getting rolled by series veterans that have been playing since the classic 90s games. They don't have any low to mid level skill players to play/learn with because the games are too niche.

Before you say anything, here are just two games.. I have probably triple these hours in the console versions before the steam releases came out
his46Ds.png

Every player I've spoken to wants this series to become popular. I can't count the amount of times I had to wait in a lobby for 30 minutes before giving up. Even posting in discord often comes up short when trying to find a game sometimes. No one wants this lol

Labolas

We'd rather see this sell and see play so that we don't have to wait another 6 years for an update. It's better than feeling like a special snowflake "part of a small community"... what's the point in that if your favorite series disappears every few years due to nearly going bankrupt? Look at what is happening to Samurai Showdown, an excellent game stuck in irrelevancy because the netcode is so bad even SNK fans won't play it.

Also the small community doesn't help when people are trying to pick up and learn the game. Over the years I've seen so many people give the series a fair try and stick with it a few months only to give up after getting rolled by series veterans that have been playing since the classic 90s games. They don't have any low to mid level skill players to play/learn with because the games are too niche.

Before you say anything, here are just two games.. I have probably triple these hours in the console versions before the steam releases came out
his46Ds.png

Every player I've spoken to wants this series to become popular. I can't count the amount of times I had to wait in a lobby for 30 minutes before giving up. Even posting in discord often comes up short when trying to find a game sometimes. No one wants this lol

Oh I'm not saying I don't want the game to sell because I do and inevitably it will. Probably mostly due to good word of the mouth. I just appreciate a smaller community because it feels closer nit together. Dude, you could have put in 12 hours into those games it wouldn't matter you've made a solid point.

Fuz

Banned
Man, I really don't like what I see. Especially after seeing Guilty Gear.

Also, double-fuck Ash and his stupid augmented lips. And whoever designed him.

Top Bottom