• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF XV Official Reveal !!

Hoppa

I’m really struggling with inputs but enjoying the game a lot. To my absolute horror, the character that I’ve clicked the most with so far is Chris. I like agile rushdown kinda characters so I’ll get over it lol

Fuz

Banned
I’m really struggling with inputs but enjoying the game a lot. To my absolute horror, the character that I’ve clicked the most with so far is Chris. I like agile rushdown kinda characters so I’ll get over it lol
Chris has always been tons of fun to play. And I don't like him either.

Mark of the Wolves team is finally out!
Once the update completes I will try to throw Gato on a team with Ryo and Joe or alternatively Mai and Luong.

Lately, I have also been blown away by the Ikari team in this installment. Kind of makes up for them crippling Heidern and Whip.

Last edited:
Cam someone tell me please, I played the beta against the CPU on ps5 and thought it felt nice and responsive but have since heard that the game supposedly has all this lag on ps5, is the lag something that exists only when playing online or does it exist offline too?

Much appreciated. I rarely play fighting games against real opponents online so I would still consider buying this if offline play feels just as good as the beta did, but not if they screwed up the final build by adding input lag to all modes ...

This game needs new stages.
What I find baffling is that in the beta all the npcs and dynamic background elements are running at half framerate even on ps5 (unless it was fixed for release)! I can't believe a next gen console needs a game like this to have its backgrounds 30 fps. It's so jarring and is a blemish on an otherwise nice looking game.

That wasn't fixed was it?

Fuz

Banned
Finally got the chance to play it with my friend - both big KoF fans since 94.

We're not happy.
Some characters are ruined. Too many important ones are missing. Graphically is "meh", acceptable, but the flames are shit. Missing blood effects.
NZZ89.gif
Stages are ugly and unimaginative. Music is forgettable. New characters suck ass, especially that lady who fights throwing shit on her enemies. Keyboard controls, as a Japanese tradition, are shit and I can't even make playlists/chose random stage because there isn't the key on italian keyboards and you can't change it from settings.
NZZ89.gif
NZZ89.gif
On a personal level, I bloody hate Mai's (relatively) new "backpain" pose... also they "nerfed" her low hard kick.
On the plus side, it's still KoF and it controls well, maybe a bit oversimplified. Still fun to play, but far from being a satisfatory entry in the franchise.

Angel taunt is good toh.

Last edited:

Mark of the Wolves team is finally out!
Once the update completes I will try to throw Gato on a team with Ryo and Joe or alternatively Mai and Luong.

Lately, I have also been blown away by the Ikari team in this installment. Kind of makes up for them crippling Heidern and Whip.

Freaking awesome. I love that XV has most of the DLC characters from XIV. Personally I would have replaced B. Jenet with Hotaru but I don't mind the former.

What I find baffling is that in the beta all the npcs and dynamic background elements are running at half framerate even on ps5 (unless it was fixed for release)! I can't believe a next gen console needs a game like this to have its backgrounds 30 fps. It's so jarring and is a blemish on an otherwise nice looking game.

That wasn't fixed was it?
Nope It wasn't.

Freaking awesome. I love that XV has most of the DLC characters from XIV. Personally I would have replaced B. Jenet with Hotaru but I don't mind the former.
B. Jenet is well rounded. I would have preferred Freeman, Kim Jae Hoon, or Hokutomaru myself.

It is kind of jarring to see camera angles on MotW supers and even more jarring to not see the Lillien Knights in B. Jenet's intro and outro. A lot of the animated quirkiness of the sprites really does not transfer to 3D even if they are a high fidelity adaptation.

P.S. I do not think the stages are ugly, but they are limited. The Tournament Finals stage, for example, is very underwhelming. In contrast, the Metal Slug stage and Fatal Fury Beach stage are arguably the best I have seen in all of KoF. However, I am shocked that there are zero stages from Art of Fighting (as Pao Pao Cafe is from Fatal Fury 3) unless you count the very loosely inspired Abandoned Amusement Park. This game needs to show Art of Fighting a little love.

P.S.S. I am really digging the KoF 2002 UM soundtrack they randomly threw into the update.

Omega Rugal is out with nature stage and Boss Battle mission in tow.

Managed to take him down with Joe and Chizuru working their magic. Strangely, with no health recovery between rounds I feel like I am the one cheating after all these years. Anyone else try taking him down?

Unfortunately, despite the latest patch the PC version still crashes on the concert stage for me but he seem fun enough to overlook the issue for now.

Last edited:

Omega Rugal is out with nature stage and Boss Battle mission in tow.

Managed to take him down with Joe and Chizuru working their magic. Strangely, with no health recovery between rounds I feel like I am the one cheating after all these years. Anyone else try taking him down?

Unfortunately, despite the latest patch the PC version still crashes on the concert stage for me but he seem fun enough to overlook the issue for now.

Boss mode is easy...They should given him a second round and infinite super bar...

I agree about the relatively easy part, but this isn't exactly 1v1 Street Fighter, so the second round suggestion does not make sense. Regardless, I am pleased to have a new stage unlocked even if I would get more mileage from Survival mode.

I am glad I already bought them. For some reason I thought they were going to drop Friday the 13th, but Tuesday is right around the corner.

Pejo

Shit, B. Jenet already released. Wow, looks like Gorou pack released in March - I've been behind on the times. Looks like I'm playing some KoF tonight.

This game fell out of the spotlight almost instantly after it released. What a shame, I really had fun with it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still need to get this. I enjoyed the last one but it became hard to find a match outside of people in Brazil with bad pings.

Hell yeah! South Town Mob is back!
header.jpg

Yamazaki is different this time around as he has a flaming uppercut instead of his knife slashes. Billy plays the same as ever. Geese is familiar, but the command move (->)+(A) causing knock down feels wierd and I do not remember (->)+(B) being unsafe on block (though I have not played him for a long time). Otherwise, they all seem like great fun and the classic costumes are greatly appreciated.

This patch has stabilized this game almost completely for me after the last patch on Steam caused it to crash uncontrollably. Adding the Neowave soundtrack is an odd choice but I will take it gladly (especially since its free). I also played some of the other characters again and they seem more fluid with less frames on key special moves and the like so that's neat.

I have strangely had absurd success playing as Joe, Chizuru, and King of Dinosaurs. How is everybody else faring with this game after the patch?

Edit: I am rusty as hell with Geese. Trial Mode refreshed my memory. Those command moves are intended to follow a heavy punch or kick.

Last edited:
I am having a blast with the game after the last update and I am really looking forward to what is in store for the future of the game. I am guessing they will do something like reveal the leaked Samurai Shodown team at EVO, but that still leaves a team to be added, which is potentially awesome. Though I wonder if the last team is actually full of guests as current fighting game DLC trends would imply?

It would be optimal for me if SNK Playmore added Kim Kaphwan and Mr. Big to this roster. However, since this is a team game and the characters mentioned do not seem to fit a theme here are some wild ideas for teams that crossed my mind:

Criminal Team (Chang Koehan, Mr. Big, Heavy D!)
chang-cleanball.gif
mrbig-chicks.gif
heavy-ss.gif

Justice Team (Hon Fu, Saisyu Kusanagi, Kim Kaphwan)
honfusnap.gif
sai-think2.gif
kim-kof95stance.gif

International Fighting Team ( Kim Kaphwan, Bob Wilson, Jubei Yamada)
kim-kof95stance.gif
bob-cp.gif
jubei-munchcookie.gif

Art of Mercenary Team (Eiji Kisaragi, Mr. Big, Jane Sinclair)
aof2-eiji.gif
aof2-mr-big.gif
aof3-sinclair.gif

Last edited:
I like this teams but they're highly unlikely. I mentioned it before but my own unlikely team is Kim/Jhun/May Lee.

The 4th DLC team is probably going to be
Orochi Yashiro/Shermie/Chris or whatever their alternate versions from 97/98/02 are called.

Yeah, I know the probability of those teams becoming a reality are weak. However, since this is likely paid DLC, I have a hard time believing SNK Playmore would be okay with looking like they sold alternate versions of characters at full price especially with how lamented clones generally are in fighting games.
Even so, I kind of dig Orochi Chris and the idle stances of him and the others.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the game so far so I am going to give SNK Playmore the benefit of the doubt.

NeverYouMind NeverYouMind What I find to be a waste is
The SamSho team, I don't think characters from the distant past fit in KoF at all even if it's the same universe and the multiverse shenanigans can bring anyone into the story. What is even more irritating for me is that they pick Darli out of all character. Galford, Hanzo, Ukyo, and Genjuro are far better choices for a third team member. I know I speak like this team has already been revealed but the DLC leaks have been accurate so far.

The alternate Orochi team's moveset is different enough from the regular one so I don't mind them being present.

Then again, my biggest gripe is the price for a DLC team, $15 for 3 characters is a lot when you're not too interested in one of the 3 characters.

I agree about that.
Don't know much about Darli Dagger but I personally find Nakoruru to be more annoying to fight than even KoF's Choi. Haohamaru I have never really had any fun with. My ideal Samsho guest team would probably be Genjuro, Kyoshiro, and Cham Cham. That said, it would still be weird for them to appear in KoF.
genjuro-ng-stand.gif
snk-kyoshiro2.gif

chamcham-ss6stance.gif

Petopia

Banned
NeverYouMind NeverYouMind What I find to be a waste is
The SamSho team, I don't think characters from the distant past fit in KoF at all even if it's the same universe and the multiverse shenanigans can bring anyone into the story. What is even more irritating for me is that they pick Darli out of all character. Galford, Hanzo, Ukyo, and Genjuro are far better choices for a third team member. I know I speak like this team has already been revealed but the DLC leaks have been accurate so far.

The alternate Orochi team's moveset is different enough from the regular one so I don't mind them being present.

Then again, my biggest gripe is the price for a DLC team, $15 for 3 characters is a lot when you're not too interested in one of the 3 characters.
Just pay for the 80 version and stop crying then.

Looks like you were right on the money.

With their outfits they look like a team of wizards cosplaying Goenitz. Not sure how much I would be willing to shell out for them...

I only read the leaks ^^

I like that they went with the Goenitz costumes, makes them more different than their regular versions. I'm very eager for a proper trailer cause I want to see their movesets, which are very different from the normal ones. It was funny when my brother was trying to pull off Orochi Yashiro's moves while playing normal Yashiro.

On another note I played for an hour yesterday and came to appreciate the music more and more. The VA's performances are uneven, for instance Yashiro's did a marvellous job while other characters like Terry lack the sheer energy and enthusiasm from old KOFs.

I'm going to try to unlock the team endings, the one for Kyo's team was nice and had good art.

Fuz

Banned
I mained Orochi Yashiro in '97 - and pissed off quite heavily my best friend with him :messenger_tears_of_joy:
He was just broken.
Those costumes, particularly the colors, are kind of bad tough.

On another note I played for an hour yesterday and came to appreciate the music more and more. The VA's performances are uneven, for instance Yashiro's did a marvellous job while other characters like Terry lack the sheer energy and enthusiasm from old KOFs.

I'm going to try to unlock the team endings, the one for Kyo's team was nice and had good art.
Yes, the music in this installment is pretty inspired even though I can't help switching up the soundtrack.

I especially love 'Like a Queen'

and 'Sand and Mud'.

I also get an old Disney vibe from 'Here I Am'.

The one voice that irks me is Ralf. He sounds like a stoner trying to speak with a piece of steak in his mouth.

After unlocking everything my favorite endings are those of Fatal Fury team

and Garou MotW team.

P.S. There are always alternate colors for Team Awakened Orochi. I would not expect them to be anything more than 2002's playable versions but would be pleasantly surprised if they are made completely unique. I am certainly waiting for more.

Last edited:
Yes, the music in this installment is pretty inspired even though I can't help switching up the soundtrack.

The one voice that irks me is Ralf. He sounds like a stoner trying to speak with a piece of steak in his mouth.
I really like the theme of the Antonov team:

As well as the boss theme:

I totally agree about Ralf, he has none of the power and charisma of his old voice.

Last edited:
My favorite is the Victory Road theme
I find it a bit too Fire Emblem-like in this installment, which throws me off. However, XIV's is a favorite of mine as it is a major throwback to Ikari Warriors.

I just discovered GameBanana had a bunch of mods including classic voice mod for Terry. I can finally make the training stage not bland with Duck King's Dance Hall!

Pricing should be like the other DLC teams.

So you can select both the normal character and their Orochi version in the same team?

Last edited:
Top Bottom