• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF XV Official Reveal !!

Labolas

I genuinely thought 13 was really well liked by the kof community? :S
But 12 was really disliked.
It is for the most part, it's just some of the community feels that 13 is put on the pedestal or isn't as good in comparison to other games in the series.

Last edited:

NT80

I genuinely thought 13 was really well liked by the kof community? :S
But 12 was really disliked.
The problem I have with 13 is the stupidly long combos due to drive cancels, max mode with auto run in etc. Otherwise I really like it and not only does it have great graphics it also has a great soundtrack.

"Frustrated" is not the word. I just don't feel it.
I don't like it graphically - especially those flame effects (yes, it's a big deal). I don't like this cheap 3D. I don't like the art direction. I don't care for most of the roster. I don't like the easy combo/motion assist. Again, I just don't feel it and I need to accept that KoF for me is dead since '99.
Happy that you people are having fun... I'll keep playing '97.
King of Fighters sprites have never been cutting edge even if they had some jaw dropping backgrounds, but I think KoF in 3D is infinitely better than Street Fighter in 3D. As far as the original SNK franchise ('94-2000) I think KoF '97 is below par and KoF '99 really dropped the ball on gameplay.

I personally felt 13 was the best kof, it was absolutely beautiful too, huge shame it was completely unplayable online though.

I do like 15 as well though, but I think the incredible online helps with that.
They spent a fortune on hideous oversaturated and exaggerated sprites with incomplete movesets, small roster, clones galore, awful balancing, and a gameplay system that favors touch of death combos. I am half certain they made it for the MvC crowd. Just dreadful. Super KoF XII belongs in the garbage bin with Neolith's KoF 2001.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
King of Fighters sprites have never been cutting edge even if they had some jaw dropping backgrounds, but I think KoF in 3D is infinitely better than Street Fighter in 3D. As far as the original SNK franchise ('94-2000) I think KoF '97 is below par and KoF '99 really dropped the ball on gameplay.

They spent a fortune on hideous oversaturated and exaggerated sprites with incomplete movesets, awful balancing, and a gameplay system that favors touch of death combos. I am half certain they made it for the MvC crowd. Just dreadful. Super XII belongs in the garbage bin with Neolith's KoF 2001.
Don't like most the kof games have touch of death combos if it's your last fighter? :S

The best of the lot for me favor neutral play and one has to go for specific loops to achieve it in the others regardless of order. KoF '97 is a great offender in that regard, but pretty much all of the roster can play that game and it comes with full movesets and a diverse roster. KoF XIII had so many other things wrong with it.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
This old news?

11111.jpg

22222.jpg

This old news?

11111.jpg

22222.jpg
I am trully baffled by this new leak. Seems really terrible as far as teams are concerned. All the good stuff is bundled with garbage. I mean what the hell:
Luke with Chun Li and Ryu,
Gang Il and MayLee with Kim,
Alice with Shingo and Kensou,
Duck King with Mature and Adelheid?!

If this is real, I am going to be pretty ticked off. I want some of them but I am not spending $16 to play as one character in one of these bundles. It is not even a matter of money.

Last edited:
Not outside SNK intellectual properties with the exception of specific titles like SvC Chaos, but they do lend their characters to a lot of developers.

Last edited:

Labolas

This is my first kof are hey known to do crossovers?
Outside of other SNK properties not really, which is why this is kinda huge for them. Oh yeah, the mobile game had a bunch of crossover but it was strictly a mobile thing.

Last edited:
Samurai Shodown team came out today. I am genuinely pissed off that there are no balance changes for the second update in a row given how the last time they did any balance changes of note was in May. This update blows...

Uh, yes? It's pretty obvious they're not from XV itself. I think these are just for show.

Dunno if it's fake, in any case.
That's my point. If this was a real leak, why would it be using artwork from Kof Allstars? It looks like it's trying to be an off screen photo, when in reality, it's just a Photoshop hack job.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope that info is not true but the format is not much different than the photoshoped character select screen with movie Rugal that was used to share earlier leaks.

Last edited:
DLC Season 2 confirmed to start in January with Shingo release, network improvements, and rebalancing. SNK holding Kim hostage until Spring.

Also, DLC is currently on sale on every major digital store. I just grabbed the Awakened Orochi Team with a 25% discount for myself. If you are looking to save a few bucks now would be the time.

After playing Orochi Yashiro I am just baffled. They relegated the signature jumping grab special to an EX special and made the default a limp dick special with a knockdown overhead follow up. In contrast, Orochi Shermie has recieved a fast dashing axe kick, which can follow up nearly anything. Her regular supers are still extremely underwhelming, but this makes her fun. Orochi Chris is mostly unchanged. If the January rebalance fixes the limp dick special, I will consider my money well spent.

Futaleufu

After playing Orochi Yashiro I am just baffled. They relegated the signature jumping grab special to an EX special and made the default a limp dick special with a knockdown overhead follow up. In contrast, Orochi Shermie has recieved a fast dashing axe kick, which can follow up nearly anything. Her regular supers are still extremely underwhelming, but this makes her fun. Orochi Chris is mostly unchanged. If the January rebalance fixes the limp dick special, I will consider my money well spent.

Well, Orochi Yashiro's toolset was good enough to be high tier in every game he appeared. Orochi Shermie, OTOH, has always been one of the worse characters in the games she's been so she needed those buffs. Orochi Chris is a top tier staple in every game except 97.

Fuz

Banned
I abused Orochi Yashiro's dodge grab SO MUCH in '97. Made my friend throw away the gamepad.

I was never good with Orochi Chris, even though his kit is pretty cool (but he's insufferable), but I actually remember him pretty damn strong in the right hands in '97.

Futaleufu

I abused Orochi Yashiro's dodge grab SO MUCH in '97. Made my friend throw away the gamepad.

I was never good with Orochi Chris, even though his kit is pretty cool (but he's insufferable), but I actually remember him pretty damn strong in the right hands in '97.

O. Yashiro is top 10 in 97, top 5 in 98.
O. Chris is top 15 in 97, top 3 in 98.

Just to give some context on how much he improved, regular Chris is the 3rd worst character in 97 but top 10 in 98.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz
Quick question as a DLC noob: do I have to buy the whole season pass or can I buy just one DLC team that I want? I'm interested in the Orochi team but not the SamSho one, and they are bundled together from what I've seen on the PS Store. I don't wanna pay extra money for 3 characters that I already have in another game.

My brother insta-wins when he chooses Orochi Yashiro... can't beat him with his goddamn grabs lol

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

Ge Os

Quick question as a DLC noob: do I have to buy the whole season pass or can I buy just one DLC team that I want? I'm interested in the Orochi team but not the SamSho one, and they are bundled together from what I've seen on the PS Store. I don't wanna pay extra money for 3 characters that I already have in another game.

You can get Awakened Orochi Team separately, no need to buy the Team Pass if you're not interested in Team Samurai.

PS Store (US)
Xbox (US)
Steam
Epic

KiteGr

Shingo, not bad.
Kim, fucking finally.
Sylvie... can go fuck herself, like her creator and all the new SNK.

All that dlc is the reason I stopped buying fighting games.

Regardless, I love Shingo, aka "The Dan of Fighters".
Like Dan, he is a weak imitation of the main character existing as a Joke. (In this case, Kyo without flames)
Unlike Dan, Shingo started from Zero as a Kyo fanboy, and you can clearly see the hard work he puts to catch up with these monsters.

As for the reveal, the more adult voice doesn't fit him as a joke character, and he could use a little more funny moves.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
As always, I buy a fighting game. Play the tutorial and never touch it again lol. Tekken 7 was the last one I put some time in. Will buy SF6 for Xbox tho

SaintALia

So I haven't been keeping up, but the two upcoming characters in shadows are likely Athena and Duo Lon right? Wait Athena is already in...so I don't know.

I am pretty sure the first silhoutte is Duo Lon, but the second one I cannot fully predict. It looks very similar to Alice from KoF XIV or perhaps even Kisarah Westfield from Aggressors of Dark Kombat or Lili Kane.

All that dlc is the reason I stopped buying fighting games.

Regardless, I love Shingo, aka "The Dan of Fighters".
Like Dan, he is a weak imitation of the main character existing as a Joke. (In this case, Kyo without flames)
Unlike Dan, Shingo started from Zero as a Kyo fanboy, and you can clearly see the hard work he puts to catch up with these monsters.

As for the reveal, the more adult voice doesn't fit him as a joke character, and he could use a little more funny moves.
Technically, Dan was a mockery of Art of Fighting protagonists, which were in many ways deriviative of Street Fighter protagonists. I am sad about Remy (a mock KoF character) not coming back in Street Fighter and King of Fighters being stuck with Ash. :rolleyes:

P.S. I am not too fond of them stretching out the season to the extent that a single character releases every season. While I am considering getting Shingo, I am most excited about the potential balance changes. Hopefully, they throw another good stage or two somewhere in there and Kim translates well to this installment come Spring.

Last edited:

Ge Os

i hope Geonitz makes it as a boss challenge character
And not just him. It wouldd be sick to see more Bosses returning in the Boss Challenge Mode.

As for the reveal itself, Shingo looks and sounds awesome, can't wait to mess with him. And the CRITICAL HITS are back! Kim looks pretty cool too, the new outfit looks great (so far).
Najd is back... cool.
Sylvie is back... why?

The the first silhoutte will probably be Duo Lon (or Lin in a hoodie), and the second one I feel like it could be Hinako.

Top Bottom