• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF XV Official Reveal !!

I guess it could be Hinako, but the silhoutte does not have that stupid hat she wears. I kind of hope its Kisarah as I find the concept of a school girl beating the crap out of the cast with a book bag kind of hilarious as opposed to a tiny kawaii sumo pushing the cast around, which I find absurdly cringe. She needs to put on at least 100 pounds to make that shit work.

Last edited:
I like Hinako. Speaking of long-gone female characters, it would be nice if Malin returned. May Lee is long overdue. If these new DLC characters are singles and not teams, there goes any hope for Kim/Jhun/May Lee. On the bright side, one could buy a character they like instead of their whole team.

Anyways, I’m super stoked that Najd will be back. But Sylvie? Come on. There are other female characters from XIV better than her. One of the worst KOF characters if you ask me.

And as always, my biggest gripe is the lack of new stages. The more the roster gross and the more this becomes more apparent and frustrating to me.

Reactions: Isa

Naked Lunch

Does this game have crossplay between PS and Xbox yet?
I thought I remember reading it would post launch.

How is online play? Lag, wait times and such?

They didn't fix Yamazaki dagger, update is nothing but trash.
I think your expectations of them adding a new special to any character were a bit too optimistic. Would not mind having it myself as I have used it extensively since Fatal Fury 3, but those are the breaks.

Great to see a confirmation. Silhouttes are fun for all of a week, then you just want to check whether anyone predicted it. Props to Ge Os on guessing them right.

KoF XV Season 2 DLC
Current: Shingo
Spring: Kim
Summer: Sylvie, Najd
Autumn: Duo Lon
Winter: Hinako

I am super happy about the balance changes, but the $6 price tag for Shingo has me going like:

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

I already have Kyo, though...

P.S. The $30 Fighter Pass isn't too bad for those that want the whole Season 2 set.

Last edited:
Dragon Ball Fighter Z has them for $5, Dead or Alive 6 had some for $4, $6, and $8 depending on character. I just feel like Shingo has too many similarities to Kyo to justify full price. It is the same way I felt about the Awakened Orochi Team given that the game already had the Orochi Team.

P.S. The new character Select screen has thrown me for a loop. I kind of liked the original layout better as this one is kind of reminiscent of Mugen. I also found another neat training stage mod for those that liked KoF 2000's Korea stage.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Hinako making it in means I may have to put up with the shitty balancing. I love how they released that huge pdf of changes and it isn't even accurate.

kunonabi

Care to share the discrepancies you have found?
Vertical jump heavy kick no longer combos into V-Slasher. The notes mention no longer being able to cancel vertical jump heavy kick into X-calibur but nothing about the V-Slasher being nerfed which is a much bigger deal. Clark's close Heavy kick is supposed to be considered a ground move now but it actually seems to still be airborne. It isn't cancelable into quick max and it still stuffs wake-up throw which shouldn't happen if it was actually grounded.

Interesting. I wonder if it has anything to do with player sides? The V-Slasher nerf sounds unnecessarily awful in particular.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Version 1.62 Update Patch Notes

These changes make me want the update yesterday. Can't wait to dive into the game again post-update. Krohnen's reign comes to an end and Billy is going to be fun again! 😁

Real talk. I've been a long-time fighting game player, but I never really got into KOF despite being interested. The thing that's always held me back is the size of the playerbase. Obviously the matchmaking has been borked since day one, but regardless of that, would you say it's worth it to make KOFXV my "main" fighter?

I'm afraid of sinking a bunch of lab time in only to get screwed by the size of the playerbase, the matchmaking issues, or both. I'm really hoping that the supposed MM fix combined with the upcoming crossplay will revive the game a bit.

It has a limited install base, but a lot of the design is solid and I am certain you could find opponents on Discord groups even if the online playerbase drops off. It plays quite a bit different from other fighting games and may not vibe with you if you expect it to play like something else. Give it a try if you are willing and have the money to do so, but manage your expectations. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
It has a limited install base, but a lot of the design is solid and I am certain you could find opponents on Discord groups even if the online playerbase drops off. It plays quite a bit different from other fighting games and may not vibe with you if you expect it to play like something else. Give it a try if you are willing and have the money to do so, but manage your expectations. Your mileage may vary.
Oh I own it. I buy pretty much every fighting game. I just haven't dived deep into it. I'm going to start giving it some serious time soon. SNK fighters have always been very attractive to me and I like the way this plays a lot (execution is quite a bit harder than SFV, but I don't mind that).

Thanks!

Kim Kaphwan Trailer

No release date, but likely available after EVO Japan (April 2nd). Plays as expected. New theme is dull and new costume is questionable but classic costume is included.

P.S. Steam owners can snag Shingo up at a 25% discount (4.49 USD) during Spring Steam Sale (~29 hrs. left at time of post).

Last edited:

Pejo

Is there any metric for when this game is "content complete"? Did SNK release a schedule or roadmap or something?

I'd like to get all the DLC eventually, but probably in a big "deluxe edition" upgrade or something like that so I don't get nickel and dimed for each character and pack.

They have Season 2 mapped out until the end of the year and they are doing single character releases. It will likely be the last as content is sparse. No Complete Edition on the horizon. Deluxe Edition only adds Team South Town and Team Garou DLC. Team Awakened Orochi and Team Shodown and Season 2 Fighter Pass are not included.

SEASON 2 ROADMAP
January - Shingo
Spring - Kim
Summer - Sylvie P.P. and Nadj
Fall- Duo Lon
Winter - Hinako

P.S. Supposedly there will be a big online update with Kim being added to the roster. For me the game is complete at that point. Though Duo Lon remains a curiosity.

Last edited:
Mark of the Wolves 2 sounds interesting, but it is too early to tell how it will turn out. Samurai Shodown has been out for a long time. I am surprised you have not jumped on that train already.

Last edited:
Again no fucking new stages.

What are they thinking?? Hey let the players have over 50 characters but only about 10 stages(the same stage with different day/night times are not counting as 2)

[Sigma]

KOFXIII baby! I never thought I would get the chance to play this beautiful and fun game outside of a PS3 console in my lifetime. This is major news to me and can't wait to play it again.

Again no fucking new stages.

What are they thinking?? Hey let the players have over 50 characters but only about 10 stages(the same stage with different day/night times are not counting as 2)
This is my biggest gripe with the game. It only gets more blatant with each new batch of characters. I’m tired of playing in the beach stage. Is it so hard to add 2 or 3 more stages? KoF XIV had so many from day one.

Pejo

This Summer prepare to get ko ko desu kaed again as Goenitz joins the roster as a free update! Also, Kim finally enters the fight April 4th.

P.S. KOF XIII is getting a Global Match rerelease for PS4 and Switch with rollback at some point...

Holy shit I'm legitimately hyped that they're adding rollback to Samurai Shodown, but why not crossplay? They're already doing it for KoF...

Anyways, if I can actually find some people to play I'll be fucking psyched. The game was too good to be ruined by SNK's awful decisions.

KoFXIII lookin good as always too.

Kim is now available. Really fun to play, definitely worth $6 to me. They removed his slide kick into jumping axe kick special and ground stomp special, but made his command move kick travel across half the screen and connect to the aerial somersaulting crescent kick special if it's not blocked. His combo kick specials were made a lot simpler to execute and his tornado kick special was changed to end on the ground and optionally switch to overhead kicks special in the middle of it. The ex stuff kinda spices everything up, without neutering anything.

I like some of the alternative colors of his default outfit a lot. His pant legs are finally animated. Small bummer in that they retextured the pants for his classic costume, resulting in awkwardly bell-shaped pant legs being part of his gi. Also, his voice during combat is great, but otherwise a bit too gruff.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
KOFXIII baby! I never thought I would get the chance to play this beautiful and fun game outside of a PS3 console in my lifetime. This is major news to me and can't wait to play it again.
It's also currently available on Steam

NeverYouMind NeverYouMind

You sound pretty satisfied. I also would like to share your enthusiasm bit I just can't play the same shitty stages all over again.

I also would like the opinion of the other people regarding the background crowd.

It pisses me off that they are rendered in 30fps. Looks like complete ass. Am I the only one that recognises this crap??

No, you are not the only one. In fact, some characters in Metal Slug and Concert stages are rendered at ~15fps. Would be nice to have a higher fidelity option for that on PC. New stages would be even better.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

I remember one of the design objectives for KOF XIV was to make sure the game runs at 60 fps at all times. Thats why background elements are 30 fps or less, just in case the PS4 cant handle that + full screen effects.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I remember one of the design objectives for KOF XIV was to make sure the game runs at 60 fps at all times. Thats why background elements are 30 fps or less, just in case the PS4 cant handle that + full screen effects.
It's a fair compromise considering how little time you actually get to look at the background elements while you're playing a match.

It's a fair compromise considering how little time you actually get to look at the background elements while you're playing a match.
Even If It's in the background people still recognise that shit. Was the same shit in the Resident Evil 2 remake. It's even worse in Fall Guys where you see the other beans like rendered in 10-15fps.

I think there is a setting on the PC that removes some of those elements from stages. Regardless, I am having a ridiculous amount of fun with Kim, Clark, and Robert.

The only complaint is that Samurai team is giving me conniptions when I decide to not spam projectiles.

P.S. Does anyone have a good source for how to play Luong properly? I keep trying to do a traditional kick-oriented team, but I am just rubbish with her. Maybe I should stick with King...

Last edited:
Top Bottom