• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF XV Official Reveal !!

Wonko_C

I wish they did in 2D also, even made a thread some time ago about how I wish devs start making fighting games with 2D art again.

That said, I find this 3D art a huge step up from the last KOF. It is beautiful even if I prefer their sprite work.
I wanted at the very least to be done in a style similar to Ark System Works' games, with that "choppy" animation technique to emulate the classic KOFs. Some people just can't get over the animation, and claim the game is not as fast as the 2D ones. I personally don't think that's true, it's just the smooth animations playing tricks on them.

Mister Wolf

57b045a2386748dbca9b0855c54db8591d042063f2143da71c9f95576c8debcc.jpg

6b0a99b39e531da90e0d8c66d6b3ca545661167b779780a3696ea6ed4036e6a2.jpg

Belmonte

I wanted at the very least to be done in a style similar to Ark System Works' games, with that "choppy" animation technique to emulate the classic KOFs. Some people just can't get over the animation, and claim the game is not as fast as the 2D ones. I personally don't think that's true, it's just the smooth animations playing tricks on them.

Agreed! Animating the moves with less frames like the classics would improve this KOF even more.

It is not nostalgia, it really makes everything more impactful and the move, more beautiful IMO. When the artist do properly, every frame is made to show information, no redundancy.

Much better. A lot more depth in the forms, better color and better design. Pity the video don't show gameplay, aside from ultras.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

My issue with this(KOFXIV/XV) visual style still is that characters look abstract, lacking detail definition. Still, im excited for the game nonetheless.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That looked hot, I might jump in day one if the full package is good.

Imagine if it got rollback and finally use SSD fast loading, it must be the biggest leap waiting for fighting games on next gen.
Most fighting games on PC already load in like ~3 seconds on pc without any SSD, slow loading on ps4/xb1 is mostly cause of the trash cpus.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Definitely an improvement over the last one in terms of visuals, but somehow still doesn't look as great as I had hoped. Still looking forward to it though!
I kinda wish that they would team up with ArcSys and use the Guilty Gear visuals

Last edited:
The mention of Masami Obari directing some animated-short tie-in grabbed my attention more than the new trailer. My lack of exuberance is likely attributable to this game looking pretty much as expected, when considering the latest Samurai Shodown. Hopefully the game doesn't become a nickel-and-dime affair. SNK was pretty conservative with the DLC in KoFXIV; fingers crossed this game follows suit.

Bardiche

The visuals look better than KOF XIV but it feels like something is missing. Bring on Mature, Vice and Yamazaki!

Reactions: Fuz
With Mai, I'm more surprised SNK provided the below image as an official screenshot, if for no other reason than her wonky noodle of a right arm. Of the characters in the trailer, she visually seems to need the most work, although we'll have to see how things fare when viewed as standard 2D gameplay.

mYk0wXz.jpeg

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Game looks okay, not great, but decent. Will support this if it gets released on Xbox.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

KOF never had choppy animation like an ArcSys game.

Business

Well if you look at XIV, SS and now XV you can clearly see the progress they are making. Maybe in time to make a hypothetical Garou 2 look great.

Oh look. Choppy as fuck animation, uninspired character design and pedo Rachel who's a thousand year old vampire dating Ragna the depression edge along with Jin "I wanna fuck my brother" Kisaragi.

Dudes! I say dudes! The KOF 2002 UM is coming to PS4!

KOF XV is looking like XIV should have been in the 1st place. On PS5 at 4k, it needs to be either highly details or very simple to look vey clean. I'm ok with what SNK is doing.

What's wrong about the animation? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Same wank artstyle.. fucking hell wat a disgrace man...

KOF 13 looked so good. All we get now is a fucking horrible looking 3D fighter that looks like a fan game..

and that 2002 port is just icing on the cake.
Fuck off SNK there is nothing left.

can’t wait for GG that looks like an actual fighter i want to play.

i mean look at
tekken 7
Soul calibur 6
MK11

this game realy looks like an old gen B-team shit effort. How can people not see this?
It’s not a different “art direction”
It’s a fucking low budget flip made by amateurs.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Oh look. Choppy as fuck animation, uninspired character design and pedo Rachel who's a thousand year old vampire dating Ragna the depression edge along with Jin "I wanna fuck my brother" Kisaragi.
No. More like KOF 13, but with polygons.

KOF never had choppy animation like an ArcSys game.
Hence the quotes. 2D KOF is not as choppy, but also not as smooth as 14, and it impacts the feel of the game to some.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Stupid question: why KOF XIV can't have this visual upgrade from XV? They seem to have the exact same model and there's this KOF XIV Ultimate Edition that SNK is wanting even more money from us but... I don't know I just think I'll pass

Last edited:

Vaelka

With Mai, I'm more surprised SNK provided the below image as an official screenshot, if for no other reason than her wonky noodle of a right arm. Of the characters in the trailer, she visually seems to need the most work, although we'll have to see how things fare when viewed as standard 2D gameplay.

mYk0wXz.jpeg

That pic really looks awful, but in-game she looked better.
Her boobs are insanely pointy tho lol I am wondering if it's because the physics are unfinished and they'll get weighed down later.

Either way I am happy to see that SNK didn't try to cater to the usual suspects.

Looks pretty weak, the character models seen really thin, but at least it has full animation. Not the best, but I'll take what they have over the anime chop style.

mortal

Gold Member
KOF games used to be some of the best looking fighting games on the market.
Damn shame what it looks like with these past couple entries.

I don't mind SNK going with a more traditional 3D look. Much as I appreciate their games, Arc System Works' aesthetic has generally been 2D TV and movie animation, rather than classic SNK's chunkier, more detailed style. What I'd like to have seen is SNK go more in the direction of Fighting EX Layer, which--yeah, admittedly character movement can look weird at times--does a good job translating 2D character design into 3D graphics. Hopefully we will see visual improvements in this new KoF, but the initial trailers & screenshots come across as incredibly generic.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The new King of Fighters looks.... okay? Not really seeing a massive graphical improvement compared to post-patch KoF14.

I'll probably just keep waiting for an all-in-one SamSho package at an affordable price and call it good. I still really like KoF14 and have barely scratched the surface.

Wonko_C

still mega popular in some asian countries (China for example) and South America.
At least in Mexico, players are still stubbornly stuck on 2002 (I don't see how that kind of popuarity can help if nobody purchases the newest versions).

Nobody likes XIII/XIV, and I don't think XV will change the status quo. Hell I think it would only change if somehow KOFXVI released on the Neo-Geo and looked exactly like the old games.

Last edited:
The new King of Fighters looks.... okay? Not really seeing a massive graphical improvement compared to post-patch KoF14.

I'll probably just keep waiting for an all-in-one SamSho package at an affordable price and call it good. I still really like KoF14 and have barely scratched the surface.
The biggest thing is that they are using shaders a hell of a lot better than they were when 14 came out. The thing is the models are not bad. They are actually pretty decent. Here's Luongs model
luong_cg_render_01_by_mrsdragonx_dbx6fjp-fullview.jpg

They aren't bad and are pretty decent to be honest. But the lighting and shading did not do it any favors.

Another take away is that it is now in the unreal engine when 14 was done on their in house engine.

Top Bottom