• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima is 'Rethinking His Creative Process' - what do you think this means?

cormack12

Gold Member
As part of SGF yesterday, Kojima said:

“But since the era is catching up so quickly, it's not really just fiction anymore,” Kojima said. “So I've been re-thinking my creative process. I guess all creators are thinking the same way. It's almost similar to what happened after 9/11, considering which direction we should go as entertainment. I think that this is a big assignment for us."

When asked about his next project, Kojima declined to offer details, but said “it won’t be like the past, it won’t be one step at a time.”

hyperbertha

Instead of 1 game per 4 years multiple gamepass gaas nindie games. Era is catching up. All because Jim said NO.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
He talked about entertainment in the games and to be it sounded like he's heard the criticism of death stranding and taken it to the heart. So I expect something more of an actual game for his next project and not some experimental passion project where he hides gameplay until release because it's almost non existential.

Disclaimer: I've enjoyed death stranding a lot and I like it a lot, but it flopped and most of the people didn't like it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thats what i think so too.

Ties in with the rumored jimbo turning down Kojipro for another big budget title.
He also talked about real life events catching up with his games. If the creative process and building a game takes 3-4 years, his 'message' may be out of date by the time it hits.

Personally I'd like to see him given the budget by one of these services to produce something once a quarter for the next couple of years, and give him complete creative freedom.

If Sony had anything about them, they would do it for PS Now, they need to start getting some day 1 content on there, even if it is not their AAA bangers. I think that might be a good strategy, but I expect it will be with MS and Gamepass.

Probably writing even shittier and cringier stories than he currently does, dude is a massive westaboo.

As long as he keeps delivering on gameplay i will play it i guess.

Last edited:

Kerotan

He talked about entertainment in the games and to be it sounded like he's heard the criticism of death stranding and taken it to the heart. So I expect something more of an actual game for his next project and not some experimental passion project where he hides gameplay until release because it's almost non existential.

Disclaimer: I've enjoyed death stranding a lot and I like it a lot, but it flopped and most of the people didn't like it.
I loved it too but his next game needs more action.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Multiple projects, remote working, and likely a more positivist outlook because the dark stuff in his games has been often oddly prescient.

I suspect someone looking back in 50 years time will be stunned by the fact that Death Stranding's worldview of a siloed, isolated population hiding from disease, actually predated Covid.

Zeroing

Banned
No More over complicated stories?
No more melodrama?
No More famous actors on video games?

who knows?! I bet he doesn’t know it yet.

GymWolf

I think he just need someone who keeps him on a leash to avoid money wasting and some heavy editing for the story.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Animagic

Banned
As part of SGF yesterday, Kojima said:

“But since the era is catching up so quickly, it's not really just fiction anymore,” Kojima said. “So I've been re-thinking my creative process. I guess all creators are thinking the same way. It's almost similar to what happened after 9/11, considering which direction we should go as entertainment. I think that this is a big assignment for us."

When asked about his next project, Kojima declined to offer details, but said “it won’t be like the past, it won’t be one step at a time.”

it means he’s coming after naughty dog for most immersive tranny scenes.
Be ashamed of your thoughts and deeds.

ZywyPL

Banned
Something more easy to digest with traditional gameplay like Zone Of Enders.

I still think the main DS' issue was the marketing, or rather the lack of - the whole campaign surrounded Kojima himself, rather than the actual game that was a completely new IP after decades of making MGS titles, so people needed to see/know what the game is about, we got an absolutely amazing TGS 2016 trailer, very mysterious one that left a lot of questions and interest into the game, and... yeah, 5 years later still no one know what the fuck was any of that about, who's who, what is the main story theme, and so on, except for the people who actually did play the game. Very little gameplay was show as well, just some walking around on empty wasteland and some very clunky "combat", if you can even call it like that. That's not how you launch a completely new IP, relying solely on the person who's behind it, if it was yet another MGS people would know what to expect, but Kojima expected millions of people to blindly go all-in, especially after such underwhelming gameplay reveal. And then Kojima blamed the Americans for the game being too complex for them. Like I said, that's not how you start a new IP.

Mister Wolf

I still think the main DS' issue was the marketing, or rather the lack of - the whole campaign surrounded Kojima himself, rather than the actual game that was a completely new IP after decades of making MGS titles, so people needed to see/know what the game is about, we got an absolutely amazing TGS 2016 trailer, very mysterious one that left a lot of questions and interest into the game, and... yeah, 5 years later still no one know what the fuck was any of that about, who's who, what is the main story theme, and so on, except for the people who actually did play the game. Very little gameplay was show as well, just some walking around on empty wasteland and some very clunky "combat", if you can even call it like that. That's not how you launch a completely new IP, relying solely on the person who's behind it, if it was yet another MGS people would know what to expect, but Kojima expected millions of people to blindly go all-in, especially after such underwhelming gameplay reveal. And then Kojima blamed the Americans for the game being too complex for them. Like I said, that's not how you start a new IP.

I still remember people's disappointment when he finally debut the gameplay. Was watching live.

Zannegan

Moving into a Miyamoto-like production phase where he oversees a lot of projects that are directed by others? Best guess based on that vague snippet of talk. =P

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Hopefully it means a return to more linear narratives, super high end cutscenes.

Kojima should be taking on Naughty Dog and Santa Monica and get away from the open world bog
Hopefully not. The MGS series has clearly been the template for corridor games riddled with neverending cutscenes and subpar writing.

He also likes his women pretty and not fully clothed, so he should know better than take on ND and Santa Monica if he wants to keep selling his games on the American side of the Pacific.

Top Bottom