• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: Microsoft Understood ‘Unusual’ Game when Others ‘thought he was mad’

I mean, MS is so much starving for exclusives that he could say "I've a concept, it's a PONG game, atari 2600 graphics, except it's sold with a special controller : yes you need to move the racket on screen with your tongue, so we made a tongue sensitive controller", they'd say "YES KOJIMA-SAN, YES, PLEASE"...
Yes, you figured it out. Underneath these comments by Kojima, what he's really saying is "Xbox has no gamez." It's the one universal truth underpinning all statements.

rapid32.5

Gzd1yWe.jpg

Might be more that they saw Death Stranding sell well, and expect they'll receive those same sales guaranteed with his next game if they partner with him.

Watch it sell like Zone of the enders.

zzill3

Banned

plip.plop

Power of the Cloud. lol
I bet this game is a timed exclusive, it will show up on the PS platform since Sony went with MS Azure for cloud gaming and streaming services.
I feel MS wanted this game because it would show the potential of cloud gaming. Since they got burned so severely about cloud gaming last gen (looking at you Crackdown 3 destruction physics).
They have already shown the difference that can be achieved with a cloud-enhanced game in Flight Simulator. But they need to convince Devs to use those features for it to ever be viable.

DragonNCM

I think game will use MS flight simulator technology for cloud streaming.
Only MS had done game with magnitude like that.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Kojima just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a Kojima game for the Xbox Series X|S, nor will they purchase any of Kojima’s future games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kojima has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kojima, publicly apologize and cancel this game pass game for the Series X|S or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Yea, they seem to let their studios do risky games. The hands off approach doesn't lead to as neat of a development factory as Sony but it seems they genuinely don't care what kind of game you make as long as it's content...Kojima probably has complete creative freedom working under them. No expectations outside of something we can put on Gamepass.

To be fair both companies allow Kojima to have a lot of freedom with his games.

Pretty sure Konami would never allow him to make something as bizarre as Death Stranding.

Happy Death Stranding GIF by Xbox

Last edited:
If you’re Sony could easily see the numbers for Death Stranding and the reception and pivot to something else. There were rumors that Sony was “unhappy” with death strandings sales and refused to green light another kojima game, to see that they not only did offer Kojima another game but its a sequel to that game tells me that Sony isn’t as risk adverse as people think.

The same people that continue to think the only reason Days Gone isn’t getting a sequel is cause it didn’t make enough money

Pretty sure those rumors were false.

NonPhixion

Kojima just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a Kojima game for the Xbox Series X|S, nor will they purchase any of Kojima’s future games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kojima has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kojima, publicly apologize and cancel this game pass game for the Series X|S or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Your satirical post is even funnier when you note that the Japanese public may have had any interest in buying Xbox games before Kojimas comments. Hahaha well played.

Bridges

Truthfully, I would prefer another Strand type game for the Xbox partnership, but I'm excited to see what he's come up with.

Streaming isn't really my thing but there are few creators out there that are still making strides to push the medium in new directions like he is.

I hope we hear more soon.

Doesn't matter how this game turns out, Geoff Keighley will make sure this game wins game of the year and MS will finally have a Goty game lol

This confirms it for me.

It has to be that rumored AAA game that deletes itself once you lose/die in it. Gamepass finally exists(which is what I feel Kojima is hinting at), so people can't get pissed off that they lost money on it.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's the association with Kojima they want. They don't care about risks, they don't care about losing money.

XBOX has infinite amounts of money as long as MS believes at some point it will become a cash cow.

This amusing timeline where people have - out of platform bias - convinced themselves that MS is losing money on gaming...

damidu

It's the association with Kojima they want. They don't care about risks, they don't care about losing money.

XBOX has infinite amounts of money as long as MS believes at some point it will become a cash cow.
that’s basically it.
he can probably convince them to do a cloud based real-time watch paint dry game.

which is admittedly not that far off from death stranding lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
that’s basically it.
he can probably convince them to do a cloud based real-time watch paint dry game.

which is admittedly not that far off from death stranding lol.

Damn, it's a boring game carried only by the story, but still damn that's harsh :messenger_tears_of_joy:

yurinka

Yes, normally people who invest hundreds of millions on a project want to play it safe and avoid unproven very weird and different ideas.

Because you know, normally companies want to turn their investments into profit.

"Cloud games suck and never work properly lol"

- Sony
Sony never said that, and they have been the first console maker to invest on cloud gaming and in fact they own the largest subscription service with cloud gaming and the biggest cloud gaming library, plus a huge chunk of the related patents.

They simply see that looking at market numbers the cloud gaming is still on its infancy and it's still too small to put games exclusively on cloud gaming.

They don't have the Cloud intrastructure that Kojima needs I guess
They have both the infrastructure and the patents. The only thing they may not have is to have released the client for mobile and tvs they patented and announced many years ago, or the will to release soon a game only in cloud gaming because they could have considered it unprofitable.

Sony is working on the mobile and tvs client but maybe weren't sure if were going to have it released on time for the game. Or maybe Kojima wanted to make it cloud only and Sony wasn't interested on it and MS was open to get anything from Kojima even if unprofitable.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
This is marketing speak for....

Microsoft were so desperate to associate themselves with me in any way possible that when Google/Stadia deal went tits up that they accepted anything I told them.
Kojima "They let me take a creative risk on a game concept that hasn't been done before"

Your translation of Kojima "I'm intentionally making a shitty game just for the cash grab, and I'm getting one over on MS."

What a weird take.

Edit: I don't know how to take your comment any other way. There is definitely a negative connotation to it. This negative connotation may end up being true but we have absolutely no concrete information on what this project is.

edit: edit: It is interesting to see how console tribalism has molded this conversation. I would imagine it would be a lot different if Kojima had made these comments about Sony or Nintendo. "Nintendo/Sony is giving me creative freedom to make a game like no other before." would probably be followed by applause from most fans of his. Yet here it's "MS is desperate""

Last edited:
Kojima "They let me take a creative risk on a game concept that hasn't been done before"

Your translation of Kojima "I'm intentionally making a shitty game just for the cash grab, and I'm getting one over on MS."

What a weird take.

Edit: I don't know how to take your comment any other way. There is definitely a negative connotation to it. This negative connotation may end up being true but we have absolutely no concrete information on what this project is.

edit: edit: It is interesting to see how console tribalism has molded this conversation. I would imagine it would be a lot different if Kojima had made these comments about Sony or Nintendo. "Nintendo/Sony is giving me creative freedom to make a game like no other before." would probably be followed by applause from most fans of his. Yet here it's "MS is desperate""

It would be a different discussion from both sides

They understood nothing...They just happen to have "fuck you" money to throw at any silly idea; and happen to really want to have you on board.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
It would be a different discussion from both sides
You are right about that. Interesting none the less.

Personally, I'm more intrigued than anything regarding this project. His work is usually hit or miss with me. The idea of a game like none made before has me racking my brain and curious if maybe there is a reason we have not seen a game like this for a reason. Time will tell.

You don't have to. As long as you're alright with what this represents as a bigger picture, AAA creative freedom.
I'm super cool with anyone making whatever they want. Elden Ring got a lot of love and I find it to be a bore, not worth playing --- but I'm glad it exists. Elden Ring brings joy to a lot of people, just like Kojima.

Top Bottom