• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Productions announces colaboration with Xbox Game Studios

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
The cloud has matured a lot. As has the internet in general.
Confused Saved By The Bell GIF by PeacockTV

EruditeHobo

Kojima is a good get, there's no question about that...

But what the hell is a cloud game? What is this going to be?
What does it mean to be "working with Xbox studios?" Is this console exclusive? Will it be on PC? Will it definitely not be on PS5?

Far more questions than answers. But I mean, they got him to show up. So that's something. Nothing worth caring about yet, of course.

This was completely unnecessary and a waste of time. Why not wait until there is an actual game to announce? Is this Microsoft just trying to rub this into Sony's face or something. I don't get it.

DaGwaphics

Kojima is a good get, there's no question about that...

But what the hell is a cloud game? What is this going to be?
What does it mean to be "working with Xbox studios?" Is this console exclusive? Will it be on PC? Will it definitely not be on PS5?

Far more questions than answers. But I mean, they got him to show up. So that's something. Nothing worth caring about yet, of course.
I'm thinking the project would extend beyond the console (Azure cloud, not XCloud) either in combination with local hardware or entirely cloud based.

DaGwaphics

This was completely unnecessary and a waste of time. Why not wait until there is an actual game to announce? Is this Microsoft just trying to rub this into Sony's face or something. I don't get it.
In a show focused on the short-term, I just took it as a nice bonus. A little teaser of the future.

Lognor

Banned
Every game they showed will come out in 12 months, they never showed a game with Kojima. They just announced a partnership.

If this was coming out in 12 months they defo would have showed something at this show 1000%.
Why even bring him out then? Why not wait until tgs?

The thing is Kojima said last year they are currently working on 2 games. One more traditional one and one experimental one. The way he spoke here, I think that this is the experimental one.

We don’t know yet anything about his second game, but I wouldn’t be surprised that this will be a Sony game again considering their close partnership.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The thing that really fucked with my head was the cloud gaming is good part..

Might as well take a shit on my bed kojima san

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm thinking the project would extend beyond the console (Azure cloud, not XCloud) either in combination with local hardware or entirely cloud based.

This is potentially really interesting.

Imagine if Kojima did a single core build that runs on the cloud, which could then be interacted with by platform specific client programs. Each client could handle input, achievement tracking, and likely mediate any sort of money/license transaction out to the host platform.

Basically provided platform security, lot-checks and community standards are maintained, I doubt any platform holder would have an issue

Beechos

So hes making the game he always "wanted to" huh. Maybe its like a rated G platformer or trivia game that uses "the power of the cloud", since people always expect crazy batshit things from him.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well take flight simulator, it streams gigabytes of textures through the cloud to the series x. Lot of data being received. This use could be the cloud technology Kojima is referring to.

Question is how do take that tech and do something totally new as he states.

Good point.

We don't have enough information about the game to make any judgments on what kind of cloud implementation Kojima plans to use.

Flight Sim stores a lot of local data as well but augments the fuck out of it with cloud data.

Kojima's game could probably be something which involves traversing a lot of real world locations, hence his need and want for a cloud focused platform.

Good point.

We don't have enough information about the game to make any judgments on what kind of cloud implementation Kojima plans to use.

Flight Sim stores a lot of local data as well but augments the fuck out of it with cloud data.

Kojima's game could probably be something which involves traversing a lot of real world locations, hence his need and want for a cloud focused platform.
The streaming data demands are not that bad. I have ancient CenturyLink DSL and i am able to stream the extra cloud data on MS Flight Simulator. Granted it's 100mbps but that's becoming less of a issue as time drags on with 5g and star link etc

dugdug

Banned
It is *intensely funny* that Kojima spent the entire day tweeting about MGS4, even after Xbox twitter tried to bait him into a retweet.

Relationship sure seems off to a great start.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I’m fucking hype but you make an announcement of a partnership and not even hint at the game? Fuck me..
Considering the track record with Kojima going back to phantom pain this non announcement announcement has me at negative hype levels. I used to be a huge kojima fan....like goddamn. We have absolutely nothing but we want you to know some day, years in the future, there will be something.......great.

Neolombax

Is this the thing that's supposed to make me piss out of my butt? In any case, good for Kojima, to have people continue to believe in his creativity and allow him to continue to create. Not his biggest fan but his games tend to be quite unique.

begotten

Interesting that "Overdose" was not shown apart of the Kojima package at all despite images and a trailer of it being seen and leaked among insiders internally. The question is whether Overdose is actually the cancelled Cloud game or not.

I just want a damn game announcement at this point. It's been three years since DS. All these back and forth rumors are killing me.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
know would
They are just taking a play out of Sony playbook. If I recall correctly, Sony had an E3 where they touted a man on stage to announce a Kickstarter campaign and people on livestreams around the world started crying with joy.
Whether is Sony or Microsoft, it’s really goofy and tone deaf. We’ve been beaten to death with announcements of announcements from every side. You took Sony’s boy for fuck sake, make the announcement count.

Last edited:
know would

Whether is Sony or Microsoft, it’s really goofy and tone deaf. We’ve been beaten to death with announcements of announcements from every side. You took Sony’s boy for fuck sake, make the announcement count.
Kojima is a notoriously slow developer. I'm sure they would have liked to show something, but I doubt anything beyond a concept even exists at this point.

If theres one person that should STFU about their games its Kojima. Dude announces titles while they still havent put pen on paper yet. Also I find it laughable how he said the same thing for DS : "I can finally make the game I always wanted".

Vognerful

it cant be. they simply announced a partnership. i dont see why they wouldnt reveal the title if that was it. they know its been leaked so why not reveal it then? either overdose is a complete fake or its some other game kojima has been working on and it got mixed up with this announcement.
Technically, and I am not supporting the theory here, if the game was not going to be release in 12 months then he would invalidate the premise of the show.

Top Bottom