• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Productions' Next Game Announcement Coming 'Quite Soon'

DonJorginho

Banned

That’s according to studio art director Yoji Shinkawa, who was asked if he could share any details about the company’s second game during a video interview with Al Hub.

“Well yeah, I am doing something, for sure, and I could tell you probably that we can announce it quite soon,” said Shinkawa, a long-time Hideo Kojima collaborator who is best known for his character and mecha design work on the Metal Gear franchise.

Kojima Productions confirmed in October 2020 that it was staffing up for a new game project. The Death Stranding developer said at the time that it was seeking “the best-in-class talent” to fill 25 open positions at its Tokyo studio.

Kojima has teased his next project ever since the release of Death Stranding in November 2019. That month, he suggested he was watching horror movies in preparation for a future project, and in April 2020 he said he’d like to make a “revolutionary” horror game one day.

The following month Kojima claimed he’d recently had a “major” in-development project cancelled, but that he was “in the early planning stages” for his next game. More recently he teased his next game on Twitter, with images that suggested it could be Death Stranding 2.

Death Stranding actor Norman Reedus had previously claimed he was “in talks” to work on another project with Kojima and suggested it could be Death Stranding related.

In January 2020, Kojima was quoted as saying he’d like to try his hand at making smaller games such as episodic and digital-only titles, while working on the studio’s next major release.

The designer has also previously expressed a desire to explore a “new format of game” enabled by cloud gaming platforms.

In a separate interview published on Thursday, Kojima said he has “a lot of affection” for the PC platform and thinks Death Stranding managed to satisfy “pretty vocal and opinionated” core PC gamers.

Ed7HGPmXoAEf2M7.jpg

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Excited to see what comes next, I really appreciate Kojima's design philosophy and think he's one of the names really trying to push the medium forward and not just figure out what's the next permutation of what's already available that will sell more next year.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hope it’s not another death stranding.

they should make a “ceramic equipment” game. 😉

Ellery

I will always give Kojima another chance. Loved the complexity and message of MGS V, even though it was very hard for non die hard fans to understand it and some might argue there are parts missing which I agree on to a small degree, and Death Stranding was a bit weird given the gameplay premise even though I finished it and thought it was decent and pretty amazing on a technical standpoint.
Though I don't want another Death Stranding.

Last edited:
I'm always interested to see what new IPs Hideo Kojima will come up with. I feel he is one of the more interesting developers and also really good at cutting together a trailer.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Suspect is the horror game. I love Shinkawa design.
Also suspect this is going to be on GPU, as leaked by Phil bedroom shot. :messenger_smiling:
EA, Ubisoft, Kojipro, everything lining up
Soon GPU on Switch Pro?

As long as the game doesnt seem like a series of menus. Ill play it.

this is so true! MGSV and DS took menus and text to a whole new level of chore!

Last edited:

nkarafo

I don't like Kojima made games but that PT demo was amazing. It seems he hits the right notes with this particular type of games. So i hope it's a continuation of that.

I would be down with a Death Stranding 2, but I doubt that's what we're getting. I remember when Kojima said MGS2 was his last MGS game, then MGS3 - he's probably burnt out on doing prolonged series right now.

The two things that come to mind are either something very heavy science fiction or a horror game.

Or a switch game that uses a light meter built into a cartridge

Keihart

Suspect is the horror game. I love Shinkawa design.
Also suspect this is going to be on GPU, as leaked by Phil bedroom shot. :messenger_smiling:
EA, Ubisoft, Kojipro, everything lining up
Soon GPU on Switch Pro?

this is so true! MGSV and DS took menus and text to a whole new level of chore!
But i thought every modern game was on a GPU
Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Or a switch game that uses a light meter built into a cartridge
Understand Captain America GIF

Kojima produced Boktai, the director is Ikuya Nakamura.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

They made Death Stranding fast as fuck relatively speaking, so I had been thinking it may not be long before we hear about their next project.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm very eager to see what it ends up being. Whether it's a new horror IP or Death Stranding 2, I'll be happy.
I'm also eager to see what KojiPro have achieved with the latest iteration of Decima Engine. New consoles + KojiPro is exciting stuff.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Death Stranding 2?

0e3.png

Flesh out some of the concepts. Add multiplayer.

I think Death Stranding is a one-time concept. I would love something as refreshing as Death Stranding, but I'm afraid that he's more into horror and I'm not a fan of horror games. Even though he used Decima engine, Death Stranding feels exactly like MGS5 but refined, would love the same mechanics for another fresh tactical game as I don't think he'll ever work on MGS again.

Top Bottom