• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Productions Will Only Work on its Own IPs, Not on “IP Licensed from Others”

Draugoth

Gold Member
death-stranding.jpeg

For a long, long time, while he was at Konami, Hideo Kojima was working almost exclusively on Metal Gear Solid, and he made no secret of the fact that he wanted to move away from the property and try new things. Now, as an independent developer, he and his team at Kojima Productions have the freedom to do just that, and as was evidenced by Death Stranding, they’re not exactly averse to taking risks.

But is there a chance that at some point in the future, Kojima decides to work on a big pre-established IP once again? Could Kojima Productions end up developing an instalment in a known, existing franchise at some point in the future?

That is something that Kojima seems averse to. Speaking in a recent interview with IGN, when talking about the projects that the studio currently has in the works, he explained that his approach with all current and future projects is “to leave behind good work” rather than chasing financial growth- which, according to Kojima, means working exclusively on the studio’s own original properties rather than working on something that’s been licensed out.

“Kojima Production isn’t publicly traded, so I don’t have some goal of steadily growing the company,” he said. “I just want to leave behind good work, and that’s the stance I’m taking while making games, while also considering making other kinds of visual projects. We’re going to maintain

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Isn't Death Stranding owned by Sony? An IP he is currently working on. /s

I'm glad he is moving on from the Konami IP (even though I'd love to play a Kojjma Silent Hill or an actual MGSV to MG 1+2 soft reboot/remake). An Escape from New York licensed game would be another dream, John Carpenter loves him.

As long as Kojima still believes he has another few games in him before retirement, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
I'd argue working with Hollywood celebs is kind of working with or on top of someone else's IPs. Your IP is only entirely your very own thing when it doesn't rely on some more or less known entity within it.

It does makes sense tho. Kojima Productions isn't some small unknown studio. If they make a game based on an existing IP, the holders of that IP will want their cut.

Top Bottom