• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KojiPro producer tags Elle Fanning game with Death Stranding, then deletes tweet

Mahnmut

Says the butthurt guy annoyed that a 60 year old Japanese artist dares to share his own work on his own social media account.

You're cringe
Dude, I think someone disrespected the Playstation 5, or whatever plastic box you like, on another topic. Go throw your tantrum there.

Duchess

Elle Fanning is an absolute cutie pie, but Neon Demon has to be one of the weirdest films I've ever seen (and I actually rather liked it..!)

I’m sure putting several big name actresses/actors in a 4/10 game will make waves, just like the first one. Hate to tell you brainwashed folks but Kojima is a false prophet. Sorry 😞

REGeBnJ.jpg

EDIT: Shitting on Kojima ain't cool.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

The sad part about these actor inclusions are that we no longer get original character designs from Yoji Shinkawa anymore. Sure, they were heavily based on Hollywood actors/characters too but they usually had some unique attributes that set them apart. In Death Stranding, it was like you were looking at the literal actors. It's a shame Kojima continues down this road when his team has the ability to create iconic original characters.

The sad part about these actor inclusions are that we no longer get original character designs from Yoji Shinkawa anymore. Sure, they were heavily based on Hollywood actors/characters too but they usually had some unique attributes that set them apart. In Death Stranding, it was like you were looking at the literal actors. It's a shame Kojima continues down this road when his team has the ability to create iconic original characters.

Yeah, I hate Kojima’s new obsession with this.

mg2ss_avatars9le6d.jpg

Bridges

Same people bitching about how boring death stranding or his “obsession” with hollywood would be gasping and clutching their chest if the game was the OTHER game. Very transparent

Either a lot of people are fake as hell about him or his game is gonna bomb on xbox
I don't think this is true, plenty of Xbox people played and loved Death Stranding (including myself).

Kojima is a polarizing creator and Death Stranding is an extremely polarizing game, it has very little to do with which plastic box you prefer. Quite a few of the most vocal DS critics are huge MGS fans as well.

Klosshufvud

Yeah, I hate Kojima’s new obsession with this.

mg2ss_avatars9le6d.jpg
I did say this though so don't know what you're getting at. Point stands that Snake's PS2/PS3 designs are still fairly unique to that character, even if the source of influences are clear. In Death Stranding, it's no longer unique designs but just a scanned and then mo-capped versions of those characters. It's Norman Reedus, Lea Seydoux and Troy Baker.

I did say this though so don't know what you're getting at. Point stands that Snake's PS2/PS3 designs are still fairly unique to that character, even if the source of influences are clear. In Death Stranding, it's no longer unique designs but just a scanned and then mo-capped versions of those characters. It's Norman Reedus, Lea Seydoux and Troy Baker.

Yoji is still designing the look and feel of the world, the characters faces don’t really have that much to do with the way the games look. The costume designs, tech and vehicles, weapons, monsters, are all Yoji.

He used real faces for Metal Gear Solid V also and it didn’t look any less Metal Gear.

CgBH4RMW4AAj9sl.jpg

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Yoji is still designing the look and feel of the world, the characters faces don’t really have that much to do with the way the games look. The costume designs, tech and vehicles, weapons, monsters, are all Yoji.

He used real faces for Metal Gear Solid V also and it didn’t look any less Metal Gear.

CgBH4RMW4AAj9sl.jpg
Personally I felt MGSV is when I lost the illusion of these characters being original designs. Like you mention, Ocelot was abruptly redesigned to fit Baker's punchable face. And his mannerisms were nothing like they were before and what separated him from the rest. What a disappointing portrayal, all because of severe miscast.

Personally I felt MGSV is when I lost the illusion of these characters being original designs. Like you mention, Ocelot was abruptly redesigned to fit Baker's punchable face. And his mannerisms were nothing like they were before and what separated him from the rest. What a disappointing portrayal, all because of severe miscast.

The ps1 and ps2 games barely had legible faces thats why, eventually the tech outpaced the the storytelling and had to eventually make the leap to properly convey the what was happening on screen. Unless you want them to go for a anime/animated look this was inevitable.

Snake-Featured-Slider-Size-1.jpg

Klosshufvud

The ps1 and ps2 games barely had legible faces thats why, eventually the tech outpaced the the storytelling and had to eventually make the leap to properly convey the what was happening on screen. Unless you want them to go for a anime/animated look this was inevitable.

Snake-Featured-Slider-Size-1.jpg
It's not inevitable. MGS4 looks great to this day and does so without having to rely on face scanning actors.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's not inevitable. MGS4 looks great to this day and does so without having to rely on face scanning actors.
And the evolution of his work in Death Stranding looks even better. Still has his team's great art design and stylization, while looking leagues better than most games out there.

I can only imagine a PS5 only version of the sequel or whatever game he is working on.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I don't think this is true, plenty of Xbox people played and loved Death Stranding (including myself).

Kojima is a polarizing creator and Death Stranding is an extremely polarizing game, it has very little to do with which plastic box you prefer. Quite a few of the most vocal DS critics are huge MGS fans as well.
Peeps get mad at me when I bash DS. Listen, I’ve never liked Kojima, he comes off as a narcissistic DB to me, but I sure as hell respect the MGS series even though I don’t enjoy it because I don’t like stealth in games. But Death Stranding, truthfully, and I mean truthfully, if you really look at the game without the Kojima obsessed filter, the game is hot garbage. It’s a redundant 60 hour long movie, UPS simulator. The only thing I give Kojima credit for, is the fact that he tried something different. There’s nothing wrong with that and I wish more devs did that. However, DS is just not good, plain and simple.

Bridges

Peeps get mad at me when I bash DS. Listen, I’ve never liked Kojima, he comes off as a narcissistic DB to me, but I sure as hell respect the MGS series even though I don’t enjoy it because I don’t like stealth in games. But Death Stranding, truthfully, and I mean truthfully, if you really look at the game without the Kojima obsessed filter, the game is hot garbage. It’s a redundant 60 hour long movie, UPS simulator. The only thing I give Kojima credit for, is the fact that he tried something different. There’s nothing wrong with that and I wish more devs did that. However, DS is just not good, plain and simple.
You're totally entitled to your opinion on that. I have only ever played MGS4 and MGSV, really enjoyed them but did not finish either, so I'm by no means a huge Kojima fan. Death Stranding, however, is one of my favorite games of the last ten years. I loved every moment of it and dedicated every moment of my spare time to completing it when it came out.

That all being said, I realize most people will not find that same enjoyment, and I never recommend it to people because of that.

Different strokes for different blokes and all that.

Codename: Ocean.

First game was about connecting America, next game will be about Connecting the world.

Cannot WAIT!!!! Death Stranding is one of the most unique and ambitious AAA games with an incredible soundtrack and touching emotional story. I mainly want to see more improved combat gameplay and more diverse traversal options, with of course better diversity of enemies and bosses.

SlimySnake SlimySnake

last game began in 2016 and shipped November 2019
starting 2022 makes Q4 2025 seem likely for ship date

DS2 should have started before DS1 shipped in 2019.

They've already had 3 full years of development. We should be getting the game in 2024 at the latest, which gives 5 full years of a sequel.

Klosshufvud

Codename: Ocean.

First game was about connecting America, next game will be about Connecting the world.

Cannot WAIT!!!! Death Stranding is one of the most unique and ambitious AAA games with an incredible soundtrack and touching emotional story. I mainly want to see more improved combat gameplay and more diverse traversal options, with of course better diversity of enemies and bosses.

SlimySnake SlimySnake
The missions from the mountains onward are quite something. The trek back home with Low Roar's "Please Don't Stop" is some unforgettable stuff to me. What an immersive and wholesome game.

Dr_Salt

Well this image was leaked a few years ago and there was nothing like it in DS : DC so I guess the ocean or space will play a big part of it.

407612_63402a078aebd.jpg

I don't dislike DS but I would rather play something new from Kojima but we will see. MGS2 is IMO the best MGS game and if he can have his MGS2 moment with DS2 then I am onboard.

Last edited:
Well this image was leaked a few years ago and there was nothing like it in DS : DC so I guess the ocean or space will play a big part of it.

407612_63402a078aebd.jpg

I don't dislike DS but I would rather play something new from Kojima but we will see. MGS2 is IMO the best MGS game and if he can have his MGS2 moment with DS2 then I am onboard.

What if they make it a full co-op delivery sim, where you and a group of people gotta get a package from one end of the country ot the other , and you can plan and distribute the packages and weapons and work together to protect each other ther from mules and BTs.

Idk i feel like people saying “i dont know what they can do with the story” has obviously not played through the MGS series. The world of Death Stranding has far more potential than Metal Gears.

Dr_Salt

What if they make it a full co-op delivery sim, where you and a group of people gotta get a package from one end of the country ot the other , and you can plan and distribute the packages and weapons and work together to protect each other ther from mules and BTs.

Idk i feel like people saying “i dont know what they can do with the story” has obviously not played through the MGS series. The world of Death Stranding has far more potential than Metal Gears.

I have played and beat all of the MGS games, even the original NES and MG2: Solid Snake(which btw is an incredible game) several times. I have played and beat Snatcher and Zone of the Enders 1 & 2 several times also.

I still don't care about DS. To me it is a step below all of the before said games and IMO one of Kojima's weakest games. I can see why people say there is nothing else to say about it.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Dunno what y’all are arguing about but I’m playing DS for a 2nd time 🤷‍♂️ One of my favorite games. The story made sense 3/4 of the way through before going off the rails. Touched on a lot of real life relatable issues. And the gameplay, aka delivering packages 📦, was engaging throughout.

No idea what the sequel will be like. Maybe more combat/stealth focus. Maybe survival horror. Probably something no one sees coming. Either way I’m there Day 1.

Top Bottom