• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KojiPro producer tags Elle Fanning game with Death Stranding, then deletes tweet

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dunno what y’all are arguing about but I’m playing DS for a 2nd time 🤷‍♂️ One of my favorite games. The story made sense 3/4 of the way through before going off the rails. Touched on a lot of real life relatable issues. And the gameplay, aka delivering packages 📦, was engaging throughout.

No idea what the sequel will be like. Maybe more combat/stealth focus. Maybe survival horror. Probably something no one sees coming. Either way I’m there Day 1.
I put in over 150 hours in the PS4 version delivering packages, building highways and upgrading other structures. Then played it on the PS5 and ended up doing it all over again for another 75 hours. I thought I would dread the opening few hours and the gameplay loop would become boring but it never did. It's a masterpiece.

I hope Kojima takes it to another level by letting actually build cities and settlements. Something like Fallout 4's sanctuary system or better yet go all sims. Metal Gear Survive had an awesome end game where you had to defend your base from an attack every night. the same base you had spent hours building up to include farms, animal shelters and all kinds of insane industrial machinery lol. It was all really well done. I would love to have to defend my either base or have other players jump in and defend their cities/bases and help rebuild after an attack.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You're totally entitled to your opinion on that. I have only ever played MGS4 and MGSV, really enjoyed them but did not finish either, so I'm by no means a huge Kojima fan. Death Stranding, however, is one of my favorite games of the last ten years. I loved every moment of it and dedicated every moment of my spare time to completing it when it came out.

That all being said, I realize most people will not find that same enjoyment, and I never recommend it to people because of that.

Different strokes for different blokes and all that.
Finally! Someone who doesn’t bash me for having an opinion on it. Thank you.

Corndog

Banned
I put in over 150 hours in the PS4 version delivering packages, building highways and upgrading other structures. Then played it on the PS5 and ended up doing it all over again for another 75 hours. I thought I would dread the opening few hours and the gameplay loop would become boring but it never did. It's a masterpiece.

I hope Kojima takes it to another level by letting actually build cities and settlements. Something like Fallout 4's sanctuary system or better yet go all sims. Metal Gear Survive had an awesome end game where you had to defend your base from an attack every night. the same base you had spent hours building up to include farms, animal shelters and all kinds of insane industrial machinery lol. It was all really well done. I would love to have to defend my either base or have other players jump in and defend their cities/bases and help rebuild after an attack.
I thought the game felt a little barren with you unable to enter the settlements. Hopefully that aspect is improved a little bit. I liked the game overall though.

Reported for what? Having an opinion about a game? Lol

Karen GIF by moodman

Arsic

Gold Member
Weirdly enough, without saying what happens, the ending feels extremely definitive, like there SHOULDN’T be a sequel. And I assume this next game isn’t a prequel because Sam wouldn’t really be able to develop as a character then. But Kojima is a crazy motherfucker, I’m sure he’ll find an interesting way to tackle this.

It’ll be some time travel or alternate dimension shit.

Based off the images there’s now 1 more strand than before in DS1 promo images. Maybe that one is linking the other time lines. Gonna get nutty .

Also following this pattern :

Who
What
Where
Why
When

Would be the main strands and the last new one would be how .

I smoke pcp before I talk about Kojima games.

kyliethicc

Codename: Ocean.

First game was about connecting America, next game will be about Connecting the world.

Cannot WAIT!!!! Death Stranding is one of the most unique and ambitious AAA games with an incredible soundtrack and touching emotional story. I mainly want to see more improved combat gameplay and more diverse traversal options, with of course better diversity of enemies and bosses.

SlimySnake SlimySnake

DS2 should have started before DS1 shipped in 2019.

They've already had 3 full years of development. We should be getting the game in 2024 at the latest, which gives 5 full years of a sequel.
They just started making the game in 2022. Kojima and Reedus have said that.

Reedus even told us the sequel was greenlit in summer 2021. They wouldn't work too much on a game without knowing its being funded. Of course they would have had some sequel ideas, concept art etc back in 2019. At best its been in pre-production since 2020. Kojima Productions aren't a big developer. And they spent the time in between 2019 and 2022 making new content for the DS Director's Cut, remastering the game, porting it to PC, and then porting the DC. And Kojima even said they proudly handle the ports with love and care in house lol, instead of having some port house do it. Not to mention covid delaying their work.

Every big AAA game nowadays takes like 36 months (or more) of full production.

Late 2024 is the best case scenario but 2025 seems more likely.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

They just started making the game in 2022. Kojima and Reedus have said that.

Reedus even told us the sequel was greenlit in summer 2021. They wouldn't work too much on a game without knowing its being funded. Of course they would have had some sequel ideas, concept art etc back in 2019. At best its been in pre-production since 2020. Kojima Productions aren't a big developer. And they spent the time in between 2019 and 2022 making new content for the DS Director's Cut, remastering the game, porting it to PC, and then porting the DC. And Kojima even said they proudly handle the ports with love and care in house lol, instead of having some port house do it. Not to mention covid delaying their work.

Every big AAA game nowadays takes like 36 months (or more) of full production.

Late 2024 is the best case scenario but 2025 seems more likely.

DS was released in 2019, what has Kojipro being doing the past 3 years? I hardly believe they just started working on the game tbh.

Read the post genius

The game wasn't even greenlit til the summer of 2021.

So we know thats not true.

https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/games-hideo-kojimas-next-game-will-be-revealed-soon-20210326

Al Hub posted a video interview with Yoji Shinkawa, who's a long-time collaborator with Kojima and responsible for many of the director's characters and mecha designs in the past. The interview was spotted by VGC and, within it, there is a quiet confirmation it won't be long until Kojima Productions will confidently announce its next game, the follow-up to 2019's Death Stranding.

kyliethicc

Yea video game studios have hard stops of 3 years in between games where they do absolutely nothing and still pay their employees for "not doing too much work". That is not how game dev works "genious".
you didn't read what I wrote

and you mispelled genius

kyliethicc

Again if you think kojipro has been working for 3 years on a patch and a port then you don't understand gamedev.

And english isn't my first language but thanks auto-corrector.
Its 2 years, not 3, about 24 months.

And its not a patch lol. It was new content. DLC (and 3 ports.)

He's been simultaneously trying to make a movie, expand his studio, get his cloud game greenlit, and more.

DS2 wasn't even fully greenlit until late last year.

August 2021

March 2022

Last edited:

Rac3r

I still don't see how a sequel could take place after the events of Death Stranding, and therefore
I don't think Elle Fanning is Lou

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So what have they been doing for 3 years? Just because Norman said it had been greenlit, doesn’t mean they haven’t already been working on it
I said what I think they've been doing during 2020 and 2021. Which is 2 years btw.

And no I don't think a game can enter full production before its been greenlit. Cuz ya know

kyliethicc

DLC, patches, and ports are not what an entire team is working on

Sony had a two game deal, so it was greenlit when the first game was
Source? Cuz Reedus himself says otherwise.

And yes I could totally see an entire team of like 75 people making a new video game and porting it to new platforms. They said work on the Director's Cut new content only began after Death Stranding had already shipped. Nixxes have over 50 people and just do PC ports. Its not something they just have 3 guys doing on lunch breaks.

Source? Cuz Reedus himself says otherwise.

And yes I could totally see an entire team of like 75 people making a new video game and porting it to new platforms. They said work on the Director's Cut new content only began after Death Stranding had already shipped. Nixxes have over 50 people and just do PC ports. Its not something they just have 3 guys doing on lunch breaks.

We don’t know the context of Reedus’s comment. He was likely just saying that his portion was getting started

No way a sequel is gonna take more time than a new ip and building a new studio

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I said what I think they've been doing during 2020 and 2021. Which is 2 years btw.

And no I don't think a game can enter full production before its been greenlit. Cuz ya know
Do 2019 and this year don’t count? It’s 3 years total. Yes you are saying 2 of the 3 years was dc and ports. It’s still 3 years total.

kyliethicc

We don’t know the context of Reedus’s comment. He was likely just saying that his portion was getting started

No way a sequel is gonna take more time than a new ip and building a new studio
Just sayin you're setting yourself up for disapointment if you think the games coming out anytime soon.

Every game takes a long time to make and inevitably gets delayed too.

Fall 2025 is my bet.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I said I expect it in 2024, that’s five after the first. And that’s fairly conservative
yep. the studio made the entire first game from scratch in 3 years. 4 if you count from the time kojima got fired and had to start his own studio from scratch after signing with sony.

if all they have done is make some vr missions and a PC port in 3 years then its a huge fuck up. the longest kojima has gone without an AAA game is between MGS4 (2008) and MGS5 (2015) when he took a break for a full year, then did a small PSP game in a year while the main team worked on Revengence which turned out to be in development hell and was cancelled/move to Platinum in 2012. IIRC his team still did the cutscenes and the story while Platinumed worked on the gameplay. Then he released Ground Zeroes and MGSV in a little over 3 years.

He's typically very productive like Insomniac and Naughty Dog so I am struggling to see why this would take 6 years with zero other releases in between.

Wolverine 2021 reveal

2024-25 ship.

3-4 years.

I was gonna originally mention wolverine but i just assume everyone knows that as the exception.

I think sony is trying to close the announcement to launch gap to two years max this generation. Everything they announced lately has been there, reven Rise of Ronin which is 2024.

VR titles also, announced this year, like call of the mountain and firewall and they’ll be out in a few months. Wolverine is literally the only exception s since the june 2020 showcase. I dont see Kojima breaking that pattern unless this really isn’t Death Stranding 2.

Last edited:
yep. the studio made the entire first game from scratch in 3 years. 4 if you count from the time kojima got fired and had to start his own studio from scratch after signing with sony.

if all they have done is make some vr missions and a PC port in 3 years then its a huge fuck up. the longest kojima has gone without an AAA game is between MGS4 (2008) and MGS5 (2015) when he took a break for a full year, then did a small PSP game in a year while the main team worked on Revengence which turned out to be in development hell and was cancelled/move to Platinum in 2012. IIRC his team still did the cutscenes and the story while Platinumed worked on the gameplay. Then he released Ground Zeroes and MGSV in a little over 3 years.

He's typically very productive like Insomniac and Naughty Dog so I am struggling to see why this would take 6 years with zero other releases in between.

Yeah, its not likely he’s gonna go 6 years between projects when he already built the previous game and worked on the engine already. It’s not realistic that he’s gonna take twice as long to make the second game.

If anything you can add maybe a year to it for covid, but not 3.

kyliethicc

I was gonna originally mention wolverine but i just assume everyone knows that as the exception.

I think sony is trying to close the announcement to launch gap to two years max this generation. Everything they announced lately has been there, reven Rise of Ronin which is 2024.

VR titles also, announced this year, like call of the mountain and firewall and they’ll be out in a few months. Wolverine is literally the only exception s since the june 2020 showcase. I dont see Kojima breaking that pattern unless this really isn’t Death Stranding 2.
The 2020 show had games that would have been announced earlier but were held for the PS5 reveal.

Was a one time thing, wouldn't read too much into it.

Plenty of games wil be announced and take a long time to come out. Delays are the norm now.

The 2020 show had games that would have been announced earlier but were held for the PS5 reveal.

Was a one time thing, wouldn't read too much into it.

Plenty of games wil be announced and take a long time to come out. Delays are the norm now.

It wasn’t a one time thing because they are still doing it, Rise of Ronin and Spider-man 2 were announced with less than two year gaps. They may get delayed but the targets will be within that window

kyliethicc

It wasn’t a one time thing because they are still doing it, Rise of Ronin and Spider-man 2 were announced with less than two year gaps. They may get delayed but the targets will be within that window
Not really less than 2 years.

Spider-man isn't coming out before September 2023. Probably November, if it doesn't get delayed.

Ronin who the fuck knows its years away.

And thats just 2 games, hardly a trend, and even Wolverine doesn't fit.

Trunim

Not sure if I'd want to play another death stranding. It was a unique and fun experience at first, but in the end it felt dragged out and more of a chore.

Top Bottom