• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami announces new Yu-Gi-Oh! ban list, effective today (5-17-22)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Quite a few changes made (over 20) but a few of the most noteworthy are:

ygo1.png

Predaplant Verte Anaconda is now banned from competitive play. This monster essentially lets you cheat out a fusion monster from your Extra Deck by mimicking the effect of a fusion spell for a measly 2k life points. The fact that it only needs 2 generic materials to make meant that 100% of decks with a fusion would play a copy just in case it came up. It often DOES come up.

ygo2.png

Yata-Garasu is now allowed at one copy per Deck. This was on the ban list since the very first Yugioh TCG ban list in October 2004. The most infamous use of this card was to nuke the field & both players' hands using a Chaos Emperor Dragon with a Sangan or Witch of the Black Forest on the field. You would have a Yata Garasu added to your hand which you could summon and attack with, preventing your opponent from playing the game. The game is so fast and ferocious now, that Yata coming back is probably fine. It can probably even come back to three copies frankly.

ygo3.png

Change of Heart is now allowed at one copy per Deck. Just like with Yata, the gameplay is so fast now that this classic card can safely come back in the wild. Its still fairly powerful, allowing you to use your opponent's monster for an Extra Deck summon. It has no cost to activate. The only real weakness of the card is that it Targets, which yes some cards protect against being targeted,

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I remember I had a Yugioh game for the GBA. I had a perfect record against the computer and let my friend play it. He lost to Espa Roba though. I was pissed.

Fake

Christ... Change of Heart was banned since... the beginning?

edit: Still have my card here btw.

Last edited:
Fuck you Yugi! I got something more dangerous then blue eyes white dragon! I got lootboxes! With this, I have a 0.0000000059% chance of a fully assembled exodia the destroyer!

Sub_Level

Change of heart & Yata Garasu

sOr1hRe.gif

Change of Heart is no joke with link summons, many of which just generically ask for an Effect Monster in their recipe which your opponent will likely have on their side of the field. Its not gonna win you the game or anything but its definitely playable.

Christ... Change of Heart was banned since... the beginning?

edit: Still have my card here btw.

Close to the beginning. It was banned April 2005, which was like 2nd or 3rd list that banned cards.

Fake

Close to the beginning. It was banned April 2005, which was like 2nd or 3rd list that banned cards.

I remember playing Yu-gi-Oh at the high school and my friends like 'dude, this card is banned'.

lmao why even create such cards I wonder.

Sub_Level

I remember playing Yu-gi-Oh at the high school and my friends like 'dude, this card is banned'.

lmao why even create such cards I wonder.

Konami made lots of questionable design choices in the early days heh

For example, why would you ever tribute 2 monsters to summon Dark Magician (ATK: 2500) when you could just tribute 1 monster to summon Summoned Skull (also ATK: 2500)? Dark Magician wasn't just a bad card, it was unplayable. Which is kind of embarrassing for the ace monster of your anime protagonist.

Mistake

I still have all my old cards. A friend of mine was still collecting up to about 2015, and I got those too, but with all the changes I have no idea what is even viable. Like chaos emperor dragon was op, but there were so many text changes it’s a completely different card now. It’s just one reason I preferred playing the video games instead, since rules and cards were set in stone

Last edited:
Top Bottom