• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami & Bloober Team announce a new strategic partnership

Bridges

I try not to be overly negative, but oof. The Medium literally put me to sleep. Blair Witch was okay. None of their games have combat though that I can recall, not sure how many people will be happy with a SH walking simulator.

Papacheeks

Banned
I've meneged to find the leak that I mentioned, it was back in February and apparently two because Konami wants two games. Maybe if the rumour of the PS5 version is accurate Konami maybe thought they could take advantage of the publicity? Not sure really.

Ah, that doesn't actually mention Blopper Team, that could have been a later rumour.

Read what the tweets say. Literally describes what they are doing. From my understanding they were shopping around, one is being done for Sony and I think that one is a remake of one of the original silent hill, the other will be a reboot in terms of new story/characters.

The new/story character one is the one bloober is attached to not the remake.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Well with not knowing what this all means it's easy to jump to conclusions. As for Bloober, I'm playing through the Medium at the moment and it's OK nothing more, just not convinced these guys are capable of AAA quality.
To be fair though, has Silent Hill ever been AAA quality? Not saying the games are bad, they just never struck me as AAA.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprised. Bloober worked with the composer for Silent Hill on The Medium so not a shock. Never played or cared about Silent Hill so if the game turns out mediocre, I can easily ignore it.

Nickolaidas

Banned
To be fair though, has Silent Hill ever been AAA quality? Not saying the games are bad, they just never struck me as AAA.
This. Like the very first RE games, I remember being more frustrated with the fighting than engaged. The second (more or less) a fight in those games would go south, I would quit and reload. Almost always felt it was unsalvageable due to the lousy targeting and evading mechanics.

After RE4, the gameplay in RE games drastically improved, but they lost their horror factor until recently.

Those old Silent Hill games were the same. Solid atmosphere and an engrossing world, but terrible camera/fighting mechanics - IMO. Nothing to write home about.

However, if those devs take out combat all together, that would suck bigtime.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah this is gonna be a Silent Hill game.

GG.

People saying "well it's better than nothing", I present you the following conundrum:

You're hungry, the fridge is empty. The door rings, it's the delivery guy. He has a bag of dicks.

Do you eat the bag of dicks or do you think to yourself "nah, think I'll pass on this one"

...exactly.

VN1X

Banned
Fuck sake.

Really hope Bloober at least consults Twin Perfect and their "Real Silent Hill Experience" series 'cause holy fuck Bloober are mediocre at best (Blair Witch) and atrocious at worst (Layers of Fear).

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I won't get ahead of myself in any way, but man, my kneejerk reaction is to be concerned, lol.

Hoping for the best in.... whatever this becomes.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The reactions are great.

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alright everyone, before you jump aboard the train to Silent Hill, let's take a moment to consider the possibility that Bloober Team is actually working on Sadness.

If you don't remember, Sadness was the announced and greatly hyped Wii survival horror exclusive. Bloober Team actually got their start at Nibris. One of the games in development for the DS was, 'Double Bloob'

My gut tells me that Konami gave some merch to whoever ran Nibris and in return, obtained the exclusive right to publish/develop Sadness.

So yea, rest easy that you don't have to worry about Silent Hill theories, let's shift our focus to uncovering the truth behind Sadness. The long wait will be worth it I'm sure!

Team Sadness FTW
Always Sunny Fx GIF

iu

Read what the tweets say. Literally describes what they are doing. From my understanding they were shopping around, one is being done for Sony and I think that one is a remake of one of the original silent hill, the other will be a reboot in terms of new story/characters.

The new/story character one is the one bloober is attached to not the remake.
If Sony wanted to make an exclusive "reboot" of Silent Hill, why would they even ask Konami for permission? They could just get Kojima to make a spiritual successor with a new name. Why waste money on licensing with Konami? They don't have a monopoly on paranormal-type games lol

Papacheeks

Banned
If Sony wanted to make an exclusive "reboot" of Silent Hill, why would they even ask Konami for permission? They could just get Kojima to make a spiritual successor with a new name. Why waste money on licensing with Konami? They don't have a monopoly on paranormal-type games lol

Deal is part of the MGS remake deal.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This. Like the very first RE games, I remember being more frustrated with the fighting than engaged. The second (more or less) a fight in those games would go south, I would quit and reload. Almost always felt it was unsalvageable due to the lousy targeting and evading mechanics.

After RE4, the gameplay in RE games drastically improved, but they lost their horror factor until recently.

Those old Silent Hill games were the same. Solid atmosphere and an engrossing world, but terrible camera/fighting mechanics - IMO. Nothing to write home about.

However, if those devs take out combat all together, that would suck bigtime.
While I disagree with your stance on the combat of the first few RE titles, I totally respect and see where you're coming from.

I fuckin' love me some tank controls!

Orpheum

Oh fuck no....

And i just played Silent Hill 2 with my buddy. I'll keep that in my memories...

Nothing coming from bloober has ever appealed to me

tommib

SH2 at the time was state of the art in shadow and lighting tech. Couldn’t get more AAA than that. People couldn’t believe it when you started to play because the character render at the time was top shit. Everyone thought that first scene was still pre-rendered. Also, expensive CGI sequences, quality sound design, proper music composer… I think you’re wrong.

fart town usa

Gold Member
SH2 at the time was state of the art in shadow and lighting tech. Couldn’t get more AAA than that. People couldn’t believe it when you started to play because the character render at the time was top shit. Everyone thought that first scene was still pre-rendered. Also, expensive CGI sequences, quality sound design, proper music composer… I think you’re wrong.
I'll give you SH 1 & 2, 3 potentially. The other games in the series, not a chance. AA at best. (the below comment isn't directed at you)

Rather than hate on Bloober Team, let's try to reflect on the fact that the last time a "good" SH game released was in 2003.

The Room may as well not exist and some are torn on if it's "truly" a SH game at all. Origins is forgettable, Homecoming is widely regarded as shit (I really like it though), Shattered Memories is an embarrassment and is SH in name only, Downpour is downpour, and Book of Memories is an isometric Vita title.

Point being, none of this outrage is justified whatsoever. How long until you just wait for an official announcement to see what the potential game is all about?

The series hasn't been itself for almost 2 decades. You're only playing yourself by being so invested in something you don't have concrete knowledge of.

*FWIW, I like SH, I own them all except BOM and Downpour (sold it). I gladly welcome SH to return but I'm certainly not gonna get wound up over possibilities and maybes.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

BTW you make no sense. Konami owns the License and Kojima originally was making silent hills back in 2014 when his relationship with konami crumbled because of MGS V. Story is Konami has been shopping around their IP's in 2017-2018. Kojima was at the time knee deep in death stranding. Sony with talks to Bluepoint at the time was in talks for doing a reboot/remake of original silent hill similar to resident evil 2 remake.

Thats what i have heard. Konami is in a long relationship currently with Sony/Bluepoint MGS is farther along from what I know, Silent hill project is in a specific state but has had some snags. Mainly the changes within Sony and a couple people who were part of Japan Studio were in on this Silent hill game.

They left, but were still working on the project. So I don't know if someone else came in or the restablished themselves independently and are back on the project?

Konami has a big long deal with Sony because of their History together not just Kojima, Konami runs deep with Playstation on a lot of titles. It's natural they would be able to get some kind of deal made. Castlevania/Silent Hill/MGS all if not most have bluepoint involved in some form.

MGS and Silent hill are the current projects, Castlevania is not all hands on deck right now.

What MGS deal? Isn’t that just a rumor too?

No. Not just a rumor.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
I try not to be overly negative, but oof. The Medium literally put me to sleep. Blair Witch was okay. None of their games have combat though that I can recall, not sure how many people will be happy with a SH walking simulator.
Yeah the approach of the Medium was really disappointing. Blair Witch was just another game of horror

Last edited:

EDMIX

A Silent Hill game by a non Japanese developer is something I could not be less interested in and from the general reception and sales of the games outside of 1 to 3 my opinion seems to be popular, I guess Konami just haven't learned yet.

My issue isn't even that its by a non Japanese developer, its simply that its by a developer that isn't that good. Konami is basically maintaining their reputation of destroying their IP and outsourcing to the worst teams.

The majority of the thread's reaction goes to show just how much the community dislikes this move. They just need to fucking sell that IP to someone else that can fucking make a quality game. I'm at the point where I'm even ok if MS buys the fucking IP, Sony, Capcom, anyone but Konami at this point.

Fushitsusha Fushitsusha "Why do you want to play the same game again?" Same game? When did they make a fucking REMAKE of Silent Hill 2? Sooooo not sure what you mean, but a REMAKE is not the same as a port, thus they are not playing the "same game"

Thats like saying Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 2 remake are the "same game". Play them side by side and really try to force that fake narrative and see just how funny it is to make that claim bud. So if you know of Silent Hill 2 already being remade and running in 4k on a different engine, assets, character models and you KNOW for sure this person already played it, we'd all love to know =)

K KAL2006 Bluepoint games would do an amazing job with any Silent Hill remake. They are an amazing team that is able to stay true to the roots of the IP they remake, remaster etc. One of the few teams I'd trust with such a remake.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Silent Hill 2+3 were insanely good looking affairs, with great sound design and music that's still revered today by a small but dedicated group of people. Gameplay was Survival Horror, so it always had it's detractors, but during the golden age, it was sort of setting itself up to be the Resident Evil killer.

Also, the smaller, more focused environments and graphical tricks (fog, darkness, filters) allowed for so much detail that it's amazing looking back and realizing these were PS2 games. In their best moments, I think they easily pass for launch Era PS3 titles. Hell, they look BETTER than Homecoming, and that WAS a PS3 title.

EDMIX

Silent Hill 2+3 were insanely good looking affairs, with great sound design and music that's still revered today by a small but dedicated group of people. Gameplay was Survival Horror, so it always had it's detractors, but during the golden age, it was sort of setting itself up to be the Resident Evil killer.

Also, the smaller, more focused environments and graphical tricks (fog, darkness, filters) allowed for so much detail that it's amazing looking back and realizing these were PS2 games. In their best moments, I think they easily pass for launch Era PS3 titles. Hell, they look BETTER than Homecoming, and that WAS a PS3 title.

Agreed. For its time, it was AAA. I see no way around that.

Resident Evil we can all agree is AAA...I see no reason to NOT put Silent Hill in that area simply because we are talking about an old game or something. I can only judge it based on its peers and at the time of Silent Hill 2, 3 etc, those are 100% AAA horror titles and amongst the highest budgets given to a horror title. They are in that ball park and I don't see how they couldn't be with those titles. If you look at the playing field at the time, Resident Evil and Doom where pretty much the top AAA horror things and Silent Hill is in that mix. So I don't feel its a argument of good or bad, simply that Silent Hill has always been a AAA horror IP, the last few sucking doesn't really change that is how the series started and has been expected to be etc. The way PT was being marketed, no fucking way was Konami treating Silent Hills as some indie or AA thing or nothing like that with Kojima as director. Even looking at the last few bad Silent Hill titles, they are still AAA developed games

fart town usa

Gold Member

For sure, I've been there for all of it. SH on the PSX, playing in my buddies basement in 8th grade. SH2, different basement on the XBOX. Both were terrifying and incredibly memorable.

My comments in SH threads can definitely be read as negative but I'm not trying to go that route to be a dick or troll, just trying to level expectations for the possible future of the series. I gladly welcome the return of SH but even at it's peak, SH always came off as passable in terms of actual gameplay for me. However, atmosphere, sound design, enemy design were second to none during it's height. That's something I gladly acknowledge.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
For sure, I've been there for all of it. SH on the PSX, playing in my buddies basement in 8th grade. SH2, different basement on the XBOX. Both were terrifying and incredibly memorable.

My comments in SH threads can definitely be read as negative but I'm not trying to go that route to be a dick or troll, just trying to level expectations for the possible future of the series. I gladly welcome the return of SH but even at it's peak, SH always came off as passable in terms of actual gameplay for me. However, atmosphere, sound design, enemy design were second to none during it's height. That's something I gladly acknowledge.

Yeah, and that's fair. By the same token to your post(s?) I can readily agree that everything after (and including, to some degree) 4 were of a lower quality and felt like they were missing what made the early games so resonant. I'm not so jaded as to say they've all been complete garbage, I think every game since Team Silent dissolution has excelled at one element or another, be it Origins dedication to the classic gameplay, Shattered Memories' playing into the psychological horror aspect, or Homecoming nailing the gritty gorey body horror type stuff. But none of them have managed to master all of these and tie them together into something greater than the sum of its parts.

The first Silent Hill games were great and part of that is retroactive, just seeing how well they aged and how contemporary they still feel in the age of PS5s and XSXs. The original on the PS1 is still a more unsettling experience for me than most modern Horror games.

So my expectations are small, but law of averages says as long as they keep giving it another try, eventually one of the studio's will stick the landing.

Vognerful

BTW you make no sense. Konami owns the License and Kojima originally was making silent hills back in 2014 when his relationship with konami crumbled because of MGS V. Story is Konami has been shopping around their IP's in 2017-2018. Kojima was at the time knee deep in death stranding. Sony with talks to Bluepoint at the time was in talks for doing a reboot/remake of original silent hill similar to resident evil 2 remake.

Thats what i have heard. Konami is in a long relationship currently with Sony/Bluepoint MGS is farther along from what I know, Silent hill project is in a specific state but has had some snags. Mainly the changes within Sony and a couple people who were part of Japan Studio were in on this Silent hill game.

They left, but were still working on the project. So I don't know if someone else came in or the restablished themselves independently and are back on the project?

Konami has a big long deal with Sony because of their History together not just Kojima, Konami runs deep with Playstation on a lot of titles. It's natural they would be able to get some kind of deal made. Castlevania/Silent Hill/MGS all if not most have bluepoint involved in some form.

MGS and Silent hill are the current projects, Castlevania is not all hands on deck right now.

No. Not just a rumor.
You have sources on this?

Top Bottom