• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami finds a way to milk Castlevania with NFT's for its 35th birthday, because of course they do

Saber

Gold Member
To think this is the "love" they give to one of its beloved franchises.

In cases like that one can only hope this company bankrupt and be gone for good.

iHaunter

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

Lognor

Banned
Any money to be made on these?

I've made some nice spending money flipping nfts. Very little work and time necessary too. I'll buy this to flip if there is money to be made.

Lognor

Banned
Oh it's an auction. Fuck that. Pretty much eliminates any possibility of turning a profit.

And the fact that you need to use ETH is another issue with the gas fees.

Hard pass.

In the case of things like these they are trying to sell you the concept that you are basically buying "the original", like a painting. Just like how the original Mona Lisa is worth way more than a reproduction or a print, they'll argue owning the "original" version of some digital art piece will give it more value.

Of course the big fucking difference is that you can't just right click on the Mona Lisa and get an identical version of it, the original is a real tangible object that was actually painted by Da Vinci himself and no print or reproduction of it will ever be completely the same, that's why it has value. Meanwhile your NFT is just JPEG or Gif.
NFT sellers will also often sell multiple versions with slight differences as "different unique art works". So imagine there were 50 "original" versions of the Mona Lisa, just that in one she is facing to the right, in the other one she has slightly different clothes, in the other one she has a slightly different hairstyle, etc.
Thank you very much for the explanation. Of all the stupid things I've heard, this is one of the stupidest. I can't comprehend why anyone would want to pay money for that, ever.

Knightime_X

So is it literally just them selling screenshots and copy paste sprite sheets?
I mean the CV map looks bad ass and I would love to have that as an actual wall poster.

Ristifer

Imagine you meet a girl online and she asks you money to be your GF. You pay her and get a pic of her that you can show ur friends or sell it. You cant see the girl in real or touch her, but you can say shes ur GF. Thats NFTs.
Damn, I have a lot of NFTs then.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Can this manufactured fad fuck off already?

Sick of having it crammed down my throat every 5 seconds.
Pm8CSZG.jpg

Sorry can you please remove that picture from your profile?

I own the right for that NFT and you didn’t pay me anything to use it.

You have 3 days to comply or i will alert the site owner

Last edited:

Itchy Tickles

Neo Member
How about any company that sells digital purchases, like games, movies , music etc , actually says "instead of an NFT, if you buy something, you actually own it."

Sometimes, some companies make digital purchases feel more and more like just a rental and we only have consumer rights, in some limited cases, for about 2 weeks max (if we play a game for over 2 hours then tough) then all actual ownership goes back to seller.

But I suppose I'm just being silly and I should buy a picture of a cartoon monkey or some copy paste low effort gun images to feel in control. I love NFTs!!!

bender

What time is it?
Blown opportunity OP. Title should be:

Konami finds a way to milk Castlevania with NFT's for its 35th birthday, because of curse they do​

Koji Igarashi is rolling in his grave, and he's not even dead yet - he intentionally buried himself alive in his grave just to roll in it after hearing this announcement, because it's that cringe.

For fuck's sake, Konami, it's been a DECADE since the last new Castlevania game, your audience us turning to spiritual successors, clones and fangames for their fix, and THIS is all you can do for them? You can't even port your goddamned EROTIC VIOLENCE Pachislot games to Switch so the people desperate enough to play them just to get any sort of CV fix maybe could?

Crew511A

Can we just get Jackal released on a compilation please? I don't ask for much, and this was a great game.

I just had a thought. If you buy the title screens, do you get royalties from Konami whenever they make money off the franchise? Aren't they selling a piece of the IP? Someone should try that in court and you will see how fast these companies drop NFT.

Notabueno

Banned
With the restrictions given, how can I make a healthy profit with any NFTs I win at auction without having to re-sell them? Couldn't I license them out as is done with other media properties?

No, you're just buying a certificate of ownership or an arbitrary scene which, unless specified in the contract, can be in fact reproduced as many time by Konami as they want.

This certificate doesn't provide you with copy or IP exploitations rights however you could if you choose so, lease the NFTs to be exposed in a gallery or resell it at an auction, like any pieces of art.

Porcile

People are just buying this junk in the hopes that it is going to blow up and they will be able to sell these things in ten years or whatever for tens of thousands of dollars. So dumb. The only ones winning will be Konami and the middlemen who take the only valuable part of this transaction: the money and the Ethereum.

Edit - The Matrix NFTs were even dumber. Literally just selling stock character models and calling them collectibles.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d love to know who was controlling the character in these NFT’s. The computer? I’d also like to know what it feels like to own these things. Can you print it or put it on a thumb drive as a copy?

Crew511A

I’d love to know who was controlling the character in these NFT’s. The computer? I’d also like to know what it feels like to own these things. Can you print it or put it on a thumb drive as a copy?

I guess it's in some kind of digital wallet. Or you can just screen cap yourself playing the game.

NewYork214

I'm still not sure I understand what a nft is. So is someone literally currently bidding over 500 dollars for a picture of a map that they pretend they own.

So it's like have a file of a photo with a digital stamp that you own this "exclusive" file?

Top Bottom