• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami has updated its Silent Hill trademark in Japan (VCG)

kingfey

Banned

Konami has updated Japanese trademarks for a handful of its properties, including Silent Hill.

As spotted by a Reddit user, updates to Silent Hill, Gradius, Frogger, The Water Margin and Tokimeki Memorial trademarks were published by the Japan Patent Office on March 15 (via Chizai-watch).

The Silent Hill trademark covers ‘game software’ and ‘headsets for virtual reality’, as well as numerous non-game related goods and services.

While these may simply be routine trademark updates or periodic renewals rather than being indicative of any new product plans, VGC reported in October that multiple Silent Hill games are in development at external studios after Konami decided to revive the classic franchise.

One of these was outsourced to a prominent Japanese developer in 2021, we were told.

And last February, The Medium developer Bloober Team said it was working on an existing horror IP from “a very famous gaming publisher”, fuelling speculation working on an existing horror IP.

The franchise’s creator recently told VGC that he thinks it would be more difficult to remake a Silent Hill game than a Resident Evil one “because the gameplay as a concept is a little older”.

Keiichiro Toyama, who left Sony last year to form Bokeh Game Studio, explained: “It’s not an action game where you can just refine the action as in Biohazard. To bring Silent Hill up to current standards or to polish up the graphics, the fans wouldn’t be satisfied.”

JsS6k_90_400x400.jpg

Whatever happened to this? It completely fell apart, right?

Dude should have had clear messaging from the first place, with all his Konami references in his teasers, but I think I won't victim blame here and the fans were a bit harsh on him when they found out it was a nothingburger.

Saucy Papi

Dude should have had clear messaging from the first place, with all his Konami references in his teasers, but I think I won't victim blame here and the fans were a bit harsh on him when they found out it was a nothingburger.
Weren't we supposed to get more information on his game? I remember it was an application on PS5 and then we never saw another update again.

Weren't we supposed to get more information on his game? I remember it was an application on PS5 and then we never saw another update again.

He kept changing his teaser dates and finally put it on indefinite hold citing some work needed to be done.

But the conspiracy theories still haven't stopped though.

Maybe Komonie are trying to figure out how to remake triangle head guy so he's less rapey to fit in with the new times of transgender LBTQBBQXYZ. So the folks who like to mark themself as that don't kick up a fuss.

:|

ElCasual

Nothing to see here, remember that Bloger Team is making a Silent Hill. So nothing related with that Kojima nonsense.

Perrott

Gold Member
They are updating most of their IP trademarks. I think there's nothing to hope for.

They updated for Suikoden and some others, too.
In the case of Suikoden (and to a certain extent Silent Hill as well) it may actually be related to some of the games joining the Spartacus Tier 3 classic games lineup.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
He kept changing his teaser dates and finally put it on indefinite hold citing some work needed to be done.

But the conspiracy theories still haven't stopped though.

Please [don't] be excited. [It's too much for me to handle.]

JK Hasan you my boy

#TeamReal
#SilenceIsGolden
#MyNipplesAreForHasan

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nothing to see here, remember that Bloger Team is making a Silent Hill. So nothing related with that Kojima nonsense.

Renewing license doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme for future projects anyway.

The Shepard

The only way Konami will make a good silent hill game is if Konami have nothing to do with it and license it out to a competent developer/ publisher who will give the game the budget and time in development this series deserves, same with metal gear.

Last edited:
I used to think that horror games would improve past the PS3 era. They kind of got better graphically, but most of them went to pot in general, due to action being a way more interesting genre entirely.

But what really did it in for this series, was when Konami decided to split up Team Silent around 2005. They were the core of the franchise. It was very lame of Konami to outsource the series to people that just used it to mimmick what Hollywood was basically doing. For example, they forgot that Pyramid Head represented Jame Sunderland's guilt from being hostile towards his late wife, Mary. But in the movies, they just added him in because he was supposed to be frightening. As if they just seen it as a cool way to make a fast dollar. The same with Nemesis in the second RE movie.

They put asses in seats.

Top Bottom