• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami: Metal Gear Franchise has sold 59.3 million copies worldwide.

Total sales of the Metal Gear series have surpassed 59.3 million copies as of the end of September 2022, Konami has confirmed alongside their latest financial report. The number is up 0.5 million from their previous figure, meaning half a million Metal Gear games were sold in the past three months, between the end of June and the end of September.

Unfortunately, several of the main games remain unavailable since Konami removed them from digital storefronts one year ago due to licensing issues.

Maybe a new Metal Gear game or collection/remake is coming given I doubt Konami won't notice that 500k sales jump in MGS sales and leave it to waste.

Also, I like how Konami is pretending all those PES/Winning Eleven games were titled eFootball and are acting like eFootball has been an established series with over 100 million sold. Gotta trick those investors.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Holy shit at the e football series sales 😂 these Konami people are taking the piss get the fuck outta here you dossers

feynoob

Banned
Holy shit at the e football series sales 😂 these Konami people are taking the piss get the fuck outta here you dossers
It makes sense. Efootball was going toe to toe against fifa, and sometimes even better than fifa.

They just butchered the series on their last installment. They shouldn't have went f2p.

skyfall

They delisted the mgs hd collection a while ago due to a licensing issue, hope they get that sorted soon.

Metal Gear might not be viable as a AAA franchise with numbers like this.

Really needs to have a competent reboot of Metal Gear or Metal Gear Solid.

Yoboman

The vast majority of those would have been across the mainline games. I doubt the spin offs and metal gear games contributed more than a couple million

They likely average around 8-10 million for the 5 mainline games

I think Metal Gear is the only Konami IP that Sony would want to own. I would suggest making a reimagining of Metal Gear 1 and 2 starring young solid snake as a basic open world action game.

The vast majority of those would have been across the mainline games. I doubt the spin offs and metal gear games contributed more than a couple million

They likely average around 8-10 million for the 5 mainline games

They top out at 6-7 million even running multiplatform. Without Kojima that number drops tremendously.

Konami should sell.

SSfox

Calling 60 millions for a series with 5 main games... LOW
psQmDcQ.png

MUH GTAV sold better MUH
psQmDcQ.png

Lmao at the level of comments
psQmDcQ.png

Anyway, best gaming franchise of ALL TIME
KyKFiS5.jpg

Yoboman

They top out at 6-7 million even running multiplatform. Without Kojima that number drops tremendously.

Konami should sell.
I'd say more they aren't that transparent with the numbers. MGS5 sales were only a few months post release

But yeah it's dead without Kojima

Roufianos

You can't be serious, the mainline games have sold 7m or so each, more than enough for a healthy profit.

Especially as the series always received zero advertising.

Last edited:
You can't be serious, the mainline games have sold 7m or so each, more than enough for a healthy profit.

Especially as the series always received zero advertising.

Sony dropped Days Gone after it sold like 8 million copies and that was exclusive. AAA games are extremely expensive to make and to market.

And there is no belief that a MGS6 would sell anywhere close to 7 million copies without Kojima.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Seems kinda low for such a long-lived franchise ..
Not really given the how many mainline games there really are.
Don't count the first two and the spin offs because we know they didn't do millions.
59million across 5 games is AAA territory considering the last game was released almost a decade ago.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not really given the how many mainline games there really are.
Don't count the first two and the spin offs because we know they didn't do millions.
59million across 5 games is AAA territory considering the last game was released almost a decade ago.

There's 9 mainline games (10 if you count Twin Snakes as one). Phantom Pain's last reported sales figure is 6m, 1/10th of the total sales

Rising Revengeance and HD Collection probably sold more than most of the mainline games I reckon.

V0BP9v0.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There's 9 mainline games (10 if you count Twin Snakes as one). Phantom Pain's last reported sales figure is 6m, 1/10th of the total sales

Rising Revengeance and HD Collection probably sold more than most of the mainline games I reckon.

V0BP9v0.png
Let's be honest here, MGS never become what it is until MGS1, few people got GZ because it was a prologue and Peace walker was a PSP game.
The majority of sales came from MGS1/2/3/4/Phantom Pain and the HD Collection
For the time the numbers those games did was AAA numbers.
I think a new "Good" MGS will do big numbers.
But it's been dormant for too long to compare it with other games with high sales fairly.
Same with Silent Hill, the remake will probably sell more then any Silent Hill has in the past.
God of War series has sold over 50 million over 7 games?
And that had no break in the limelight and started when games was selling in the millions

Last edited:
Some of you forget that 7m-8m was the peak for many games back then. Even zelda and Mario would top out at that figure. There were very few games that would break the 10m barrier them days. It was only a few games like halo, Gran turismo and GTA.

Just like with the Gears numbers, these figures aren't that impressive AT ALL.

I hope we're done with Metal Gear Solid.

Gears had 6 main games, Metal gear has 8 or 9 with two revised releases for 2 and 3, 3 collections, 30 spin-offs (probably more) and 1 or 2 remakes, I find Gears with 5 main games and 1 remake during the low of last gen for Xbox One to be pretty impressive since the average for the main games seems to be 7 million copies,

Last edited:

Roufianos

Sony dropped Days Gone after it sold like 8 million copies and that was exclusive. AAA games are extremely expensive to make and to market.

And there is no belief that a MGS6 would sell anywhere close to 7 million copies without Kojima.

Oh please, Colin Moriarty spoke to the Days Gone leads and they said it was the reception, not the sales that turned Sony off.

MGSV cost between 80 to 100m to make, even if Konami sold each copy for an average of $30, they'd double their money.

dotnotbot

Some of you forget that 7m-8m was the peak for many games back then. Even zelda and Mario would top out at that figure. There were very few games that would break the 10m barrier them days. It was only a few games like halo, Gran turismo and GTA.
Exactly, those were different times. Comparing to GTA V is silly.

Top Bottom