• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

<<KONAMI: MGS FRANCHISE>> "Favourites" Thread #11 (Curated Poll)

What's it gonna be?

• Metal Gear Solid

• Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

• Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty + Remakes/expansions/sundry

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater + Remakes/expansions/sundry

• Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

• Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes

• Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain + Remakes/expansions/sundry

• Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

• Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

• Metal Gear Acid 1/2

• Metal Gear Online 1/2

Results are only viewable after voting.

SkylineRKR

Sons of Liberty is the best one.

It caused a shockwave throughout the gaming landscape but its narrative is surprisingly relevant nowadays. That game was just completely revolutionary. I can understand people liking 3 more, since its a more pure MGS game and its quite brilliant as well, but nothing compares to seeing MGS2 in 2001.

A.Romero

Tough choice.

I'll go with MGS2 because it was more forward looking than most people realize.

Is it a product of Kojima's mind? Mere coincidence? Don't know, don't care. The game was ahead of his time concept-wise in a way that is scary.

Gameplay wasn't bad but MGS3 and MGSV are much better in that aspect. Even MGS4 was better in the gameplay department.

MGS was also ground breaking and an amazing game.

Personally I didn't like the portable entries.

SkylineRKR

Sometimes I think Kojima just had a fluke with 2. But it must be based on postmodernism, there is too much in it for it to be coincidental. It has a lot of the ingredients like the unreliable narrator, deconstruction, putting facts in doubt, even the main characters very existence is doubted.

Last edited:

Grechy34

They're all just absolute classics. MGS 1 and 2 are the best gaming memories of my life. I don't think a game has ever gripped me like MGS 1 to this day and it's a PS1 title.

kovskaya

Neo Member
If i could vote, i would vxote for Ghost Babel or Revengeance. With first being true underrated masterpiece which was mostly used to attack Kojima instead of getting praise which he deserves. And the second being proper development of Raiden character and just very crazy, serious yet fun game.

Arcadialane

MGS 4 was the perfect mgs game where Kojima went full Kojima, it was full fan service, you could only enjoy 4 if you where a diehard fan the the series already. The game story was so good it actually made you appreciate the other games in the series even more, due to some of the insane revelations that happen in 4. The gameplay is the worse in the series though, and is trash overall all.

I can see why people would say 3 though, it does feel the most iconic. 2 has a special place in my heart as my first msg game, and the first time my mind was blown

Last edited:

Fahdis

Big Boss stories are better than anything Solid provided. Fact. Plus its not as convoluted until MGS4.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Following the breakout success that was 1998's Metal Gear Solid, Konami and Kojima quickly started to work upon a sequel - a game that would prove to be a benchmark for Sony's at-the-time coming PlayStation 2 console.

Barring the surprise change of protagonist from Solid Snake to Raiden and contentious plot, there's very little debate about whether Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was a worthy successor to the original. With multiple solid entries in this tactical espionage action franchise, expectations were naturally high for whatever Kojima and his team were planning to do next with the IP.

Kojima wanted to develop the next installment in Metal Gear Solid for Sony's upcoming PS3, but had to develop it for the PS2 instead since there was still a long time before the console would come out. Legions of fans waited with bated breath for a long time, and 2004 finally saw the release of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

You see, unlike 1998 - the market wasn't completely devoid of any promising stealth games on consoles. Konami's offerings were directly competing with the likes of Splinter Cell - despite the many differences in the design of these games. Still, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater absolutely floored fans and critics who unanimously praised the game for its gorgeous visuals, highly dynamic gameplay, and of course - the memorable boss fights.

Roufianos

The original for me although I can see why 3 is winning the poll.

PW and V are the worst I think, by some distance.

Cyborg

I would love MGS to get a remake but considering how the game is built it would lose all its charm and would be too easy. I think MGS 3 would be the best candidate.
But.....if PlayStation has the rights why not make a completely new one? Maybe a game with the The Boss :)

Dick Jones

Gold Member
MGSV is not MGS5 in my mind. While it may decieve using a letter with a coresponding Roman numeral, I don't see a world where I can call it 5. IRL I say V for Venom.

MGS3 has the best implementation of new small ideas in a game and a great story. My pick and one of the greatest games of all and should be experienced by all.

However, the idea of MGS2 is becoming a bit too uncomfortable close to how disinformation is weaponised in the present day (I was going to say real but would have to ignore Metal Gears and Vampires 😂). MGS2 is the game that gets more credit the longer the game is out. It may soon get higher on my list with another playthrough later this year.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

Not expecting Metal Gear Solid to win but I have voted for that one.

It was the perfect blend of story and gameplay before they became bloated messes (Until the magical gameplay of MGSV - which was sadly ruined by being totally unfinished). It was a perfect storm for me as it had ugly 'mucky' looking polygons that genuinely worked and added to the atmosphere. Everything after that, became incredibly sterile and clean.

Top Bottom