• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami opens "KONAMI Osaka Studio", a studio with the focus on "Creators First", New R&D center, "Konami Creative Front Tokyo Bay" for 2025

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Konami celebrated its 50th establishment anniversary on March 19, 2023. "KONAMI Osaka Studio," the Group's major production center, opened in OSAKA UMEDA TWIN TOWERS SOUTH on March 27, 2023 to continue sustainable growth in the next 50 years.

"KONAMI Osaka Studio" is a developmental relocation of the existing studio and comes with the concept of "Creators First." It is characterized by a well-developed environment where creators can demonstrate their full potential, and is set up in a location with convenient transportation access. As the major production center in Western Japan, the facility is fully equipped with motion capture equipments and sound studios necessary for product development.

Scheduled for completion in 2025, Konami Group's next-generation R&D center, "Konami Creative Front Tokyo Bay," is in the process of construction at Ariake, Koto-ku, Tokyo.

Our efforts in strengthening "Health and Productivity Management," aiming to create a healthy and vibrant workplace for employees, have brought us to be certified as an "Outstanding Health and Productivity Management Organization (White 500)" by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and Nippon Kenko Kaigi for 7 consecutive years.

Furthermore, starting in March 2023, we have substantially raised our base-salary.

We have taken various steps to promote management emphasized on human capital, improve employee engagement, and enhance its competitiveness.

In order to achieve further sustainable growth in the significantly expanding "entertainment" field, Konami Group will strengthen its product development capabilities and continue to provide products and services for the next generation.

Last edited:

xk0sm0sx

People keep saying Konami gave up on videogames, but that has never been true, their output every year has been good.
They have a top title, Momotaro Dentetsu, on Nintendo Switch that other publishers could only dream of, and they just announced a sequel to that.
They released Yugioh games, Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection, Power Pro Baseball, eFootball, and a new Bomberman is coming too.
Other than eFootball, the other games were generally quite good!
Besides that, they are also one of the biggest involved in arcade games with Bemani, they make the TCG Yugioh, and they have their own chain of gyms in Japan called Konami Sports Club.

So no, it is a huge misconception to think that Konami gave up on video games or entertainment as their business. Pachinko is only merely one of the things they do. Konami is having a huge success in video games even now, so it gets annoying to see people saying Konami didn't care about games just because Hideo Kojima left.

Last edited:
Even if this is a joke it makes me sad.
It's all fun and games until someone buys them.

On a serious note - is this where MGS6 will become a reality ? Or new IPs? Sure looks like a fancy building. By that point will be over halfway through this current generation's life cycle. I would imagine they'd be working on some late PS5/Series X titles with very few prototypes that are being planned for the next generation.

Last edited:

Doom85

Not gonna lie, looks comfy.

Take that, Kojimbo. You hack.
You need more Konami than Konami needs you.

internet seriously GIF

He’s made one game and is working on another game, probably two, that we know of. Pretty sure he doesn’t need Konami either.

Also, while I’m down for Konami IPs coming back, it’s still a well documented fact that plenty of their game developers were treated poorly. People choose to focus on Kojima going over budget but ignore all the bullshit the higher ups at Konami did. I’m glad Kojima and his team can work in what I hope is a less toxic environment and also of course getting recognition for the games they make (Geoff name dropping Kojima at that one TGA despite Konami clearly not wanting him mentioned after recently firing him will always be awesome).

Doom85

One meh game after another.
He's now "Hollywood Kojimbo", and he's too cool to make fun games (e.g. Snatcher, ZOE, MGS, Boktai).

He now wants to show his "artistic" and boring side.

I had fun playing Death Stranding. Also, “one after another”, bruh, only one post-Konami game of his has been released, you just admitted to judging a game before it’s even out, way to accidentally admit your bias.

Killer8

Konami are playing the long game. They basically have fuck you money at this point from years of pachinko, gacha shit, gym memberships and Yu-Gi-Oh, and can do whatever they want now from a game development point of view.

Spaceman292

Banned
People keep saying Konami gave up on videogames, but that has never been true, their output every year has been good.
They have a top title, Momotaro Dentetsu, on Nintendo Switch that other publishers could only dream of, and they just announced a sequel to that.
They released Yugioh games, Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection, Power Pro Baseball, eFootball, and a new Bomberman is coming too.
Other than eFootball, the other games were generally quite good!
Besides that, they are also one of the biggest involved in arcade games with Bemani, they make the TCG Yugioh, and they have their own chain of gyms in Japan called Konami Sports Club.

So no, it is a huge misconception to think that Konami gave up on video games or entertainment as their business. Pachinko is only merely one of the things they do. Konami is having a huge success in video games even now, so it gets annoying to see people saying Konami didn't care about games just because Hideo Kojima left.
All those games are old and shit. Yugioh and fucking Power Pro Baseball aren't exactly Metal Gear Solid or Castlevania.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

That structure is insane. Very cool and all but are we sure this has anything to do with making video games? Doesn't Konami do a bunch of different things in the Entertainment sector? I want to get excited but if it doesn't mean a new MGS, Castlevania or some other big video game IP, then I'm not sure I really care about this.

Last edited:
So, there's a lingering rumour that a triple A Silent Hill game is in the works, to go alongside the remake and the other projects Konami is hard at work on.

I don't mind indie style installments, because unlike Resident Evil, I see the series as being akin to those sci-fi TV shows on cable, where the only thing that remotely connects the universe is more or less the title.

That said, if the storyline hasn't got absolutely anything to do with the region of Silent Hill itself, I don't quite get why they link the games in that way. Such as that one occurring in Japan, for example. Unless they just do it this way because using the name of a renowned IP will be what sells the cookies and the cakes when people line up at the buffet table.

But even RE went that way after so long, eventually. It started to feel like Capcom was just continuing the franchise, but it dissolved into a convoluted mess, where if you didn't know it was the latest RE something or other, you may think somebody was playing a game that was just recommended while they were browsing on Steam. Because if you play RE4, then RE6 or whatever, and then try 7, they don't feel in any way remotely connected. Both in terms of the plot, and how they actually play.

Woopah

That structure is insane. Very cool and all but are we sure this has anything to do with making video games? Doesn't Konami do a bunch of different things in the Entertainment sector? I want to get excited but if it doesn't mean a new MGS, Castlevania or some other big video game IP, then I'm not sure I really care about this.
This is more for longer term projects as it will take some time for them to expand, but Konami are working on / publishing new Bomberman and Momotaro games this year and we should see Silent Hill, Metal Gear, eBaseball/eFootball and Castlevania projects fairly soon.

I just miss the Konami of the 90s and 00s. Man they were a killer publishing company with tons of great hits. Silent Hill and MGS are legendary series with some of the most highly rated titles in videogame history. It just makes me sad that even seeing this development, I have 0 confidence in anything coming out of it. I don't know where gaming's soul went, but it seems to have truly and welly died at some point in the 10s.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I would love to see Konami aim for some of their old glory.

Young ones have no idea what Konami was like in the 20th century. Straight up one of the few developers that you could trust when renting games blindly. Capcom and Konami, absolute Gods of game development. I'd love nothing more than to see them rebuild themselves.

It can happen.

Nice to see Komonie splashing some cash every once in a while. I just got back from the London YCS they hosted in the Excel building and wasn't too impressed as it looked to be done on the cheap.

Top Bottom