• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's first ever 3D Arcade Game; PolyNet Warriors...and the rest of the "3D firsts" from major gaming developers

VGEsoterica

Back in the day 2D was all the rage. Home consoles were 2D, the gigantic share of arcade games were in 2D....but we kept hearing whispers about this mythical THIRD dimension games were going to start being made in...which nobody really had much of a concept of what it would look like and most devs had zero idea how to develop games that actually had dimensions beyond two!

So they all had to kind of experiment with custom hardware and stumble their way through jumping to this third dimension...and some were more successful than others! But in all honestly it's actually pretty surprising and impressive just how many companies did a GOOD job with their first forays into 3D

Sega had Virtua Racing which is still considered to be a legit awesome arcade racing game and then they would go on to Virtua Fighter...and we all know how that turned out for them :)

Namco had Winning Run back in the 80s and that too was pretty legit but obviously they would go on to be much more known for their Ridge Racer era 3D

and Konami had...PolyNet Warriors! A first person shooter in full 3D for arcades just under a year after the world would get Wolfenstein 3D and the "first person shooter" genre would explode in popularity.

Konami went full on with 3D too throwing the most vibrant colors and whacky character designs at the game they possibly could...and I love it!

But I was wondering GAF...whats the first 3D game you ever played? and what was your reaction? For me it was Hard Drivin. I didn't even realize 3D existed before I saw that cabinet.

Now let's see a dev take on 1D....you never know lol

Top Bottom