• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: A New Mafia game is in development at Hangar 13, being developed in UE5

Draugoth

Gold Member

794c5622c0501df904a289db002d50fe.jpg

FSATnEWXsAEBdRx

I haven't played any of the Mafia games so longtime fans can write-off my opinion, but after three games maybe they should transition away from old timey mafia tropes and introduce gamers to the new drug kingpins...cartels. Yeah, there's no fancy suits, tommy guns, or Italian accents, but cartels are all the rage nowadays in the entertainment medium and they are in essence the modern iteration of the mafia. Just my two cents.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I haven't played any of the Mafia games so longtime fans can write-off my opinion, but after three games maybe they should transition away from old timey mafia tropes and introduce gamers to the new drug kingpins...cartels. Yeah, there's no fancy suits, tommy guns, or Italian accents, but cartels are all the rage nowadays in the entertainment medium and they are in essence the modern iteration of the mafia. Just my two cents.
Will it have flaying and dismemberment mechanics?

DukeNukem00

Banned
Thank you. I won't be able to go back to the OG one, but I expect the definitive remaster version is tolerable.

I mean, the remake of the first one has the highest score between Mafia 2,3 and itself. A completely gutted and neutered remake of a 20 year old game that removes near everything that was special about the original, scored the highest out of the 3 modern crappy mafias. Thats how good the 2002 PC game is.

You can play the original without issues. Slap this easy to install mod:

And enjoy. Than you can play the remake. But the original has so many unique quirks and features, id be a shame to miss. PC games dont age as bad as console games did from that era. You control the game, play it and maneuver the camera exactly as you do in games today. You use the same standard keys in the same way you would in a game released today.

DukeNukem00

Banned
What was gutted from the original? I never read up on it.
Oh, its the general gameplay. The recent one is a remake, its not a remaster. Meaning, they made a new game from scratch and called it Mafia. The story, the voice actors, cinematics, levels, gameplay - everything is different and the game is more of a cover shooter where you battle waves of dumb enemies.

The original is tough as nails and has all sorts of little things that add up into something special. For example, if you have a revolver with 6 bullets; you fire 2 and then reload, you drop the other 4 on the ground and lose them. Same with every weapon. If you stand straight and want to shoot, the first click lifts your arm into a firing position and the second click fires. But if you crouch, then he automatically aims and the first click fires. If you get shot at close range with a shotgun, the kick of the weapon can send you tumbling down. The firefights are intense as fuck because hits do a lot of damage and you have maybe one healthkit hidden somewhere in a level usually. And you're not magnetising in some cover, you're actually moving and trying to cover yourself, old school way.

Cars control fairly realistically, meaning the low end cars you get at first accelerate slower, handle a bit rough. Then as you progress you get better and better cars. This is all missing in the remake, they supposedly wanted to remove that initial "frustrating" feeling where the shittiest car from 1910 doesnt shoot from 0 to 100 in 3 seconds. The remake pretty much removes every detail that made the original game special and made a banal cover shooter where you magnetise in a cover and pop and shoot simplistic enemies. And the voice actors for the main characters, christ almighty, the most gigantic downgrade from the original. Especially the main character, he sounds a bit retarded in the remake.

I cant vouch that you'll love the 2002 one, i dont know how well you tolerate older games. But i would try it and stick to it until at least mission 8. Out of 20. To give it all the chances and see if it clicks. If not, the remake is always here

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh, its the general gameplay. The recent one is a remake, its not a remaster. Meaning, they made a new game from scratch and called it Mafia. The story, the voice actors, cinematics, levels, gameplay - everything is different and the game is more of a cover shooter where you battle waves of dumb enemies.

The original is tough as nails and has all sorts of little things that add up into something special. For example, if you have a revolver with 6 bullets; you fire 2 and then reload, you drop the other 4 on the ground and lose them. Same with every weapon. If you stand straight and want to shoot, the first click lifts your arm into a firing position and the second click fires. But if you crouch, then he automatically aims and the first click fires. If you get shot at close range with a shotgun, the kick of the weapon can send you tumbling down. The firefights are intense as fuck because hits do a lot of damage and you have maybe one healthkit hidden somewhere in a level usually. And you're not magnetising in some cover, you're actually moving and trying to cover yourself, old school way.

Cars control fairly realistically, meaning the low end cars you get at first accelerate slower, handle a bit rough. Then as you progress you get better and better cars. This is all missing in the remake, they supposedly wanted to remove that initial "frustrating" feeling where the shittiest car from 1910 doesnt shoot from 0 to 100 in 3 seconds. The remake pretty much removes every detail that made the original game special and made a banal cover shooter where you magnetise in a cover and pop and shoot simplistic enemies. And the voice actors for the main characters, christ almighty, the most gigantic downgrade from the original. Especially the main character, he sounds a bit retarded in the remake.

I cant vouch that you'll love the 2002 one, i dont know how well you tolerate older games. But i would try it and stick to it until at least mission 8. Out of 20. To give it all the chances and see if it clicks. If not, the remake is always here
Thank for the writeup, I will have to check out the OG on Steam.

I wonder what the setting's gonna be. I wouldn't mind a modern day cartel plot, but I recall they were considering Vegas 70s/80s. I wonder if that still holds true.

Filben

If they cut the repetition from Mafia 3 it would have been a good game. Their DLCs proved that they can tell stories like in Mafia 1. They were extremely short but well done, especially Sign of the Times! Faster, Baby was also well-done and the other one was ok.

They need to do more of that and less "do damage worth 10k $, now do that again five times, and also take over ten rackets and also kill/hire ten leaders". This was shit.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Looking forward to a traditional Mafioso story where I get to play as a pink/blue haired screaming transexual.

Filben

Thank for the writeup, I will have to check out the OG on Steam.
What he says is true. Although the thing with the ammo still exists on classic difficulty in the remake.

Another note: they did expand heavily on the characters and some of their arcs and expanded on some missions, fleshed them more out in the remake. For example they gave Tommy's wife more screen time, some missions don't end abruptly but give you a little more time to explore, take in the atmosphere (I won't spoil it here, no worries).

The original end felt rushed and you could tell they needed to release it. One huge thing feels like coming out of nowhere at the end and wasn't believable at the time and still isn't today. They sort of fixed that in the remake by expanding on some explanations (can't go into details because of spoilers).

Also, the companion AI in the original is dumb as fuck, often run into crossfire and the worst: if they die, the mission is over and they can't heal in a mission. If you reach a checkpoint with one of them at low health, reaching the next checkpoint can be impossible and you have to restart from an even earlier one.

There aren't too many companion mission, but keep in mind this is an old game and you can end up stuck a little bit or have other frustrating moments.

Still a great classic, just a bit dated but nothing someone growing up with old games couldn't cope with. Just keep expectations modest.

Brigandier

Mafia 3 was awful, Mafia remaster sucked balls.... Will they go back to a grounded experience like Mafia? I doubt it.

loved the original when it came out, couldnt get into the remake.

characters looked off, and gameplay felt like the generic floaty cover-shooter type.

DaGwaphics

Amazing news. Still have to get around to the remake, but overall I've liked them all so far. I hope this is more in the style of 1 or 2, but I did have fun with the third installment also.

Here's to hoping they ditched the original concept for the 4th game, with the resource building and all that. They starting bringing that into 3 with the DLC and it wasn't that great, IMO.

Smiggs

I really hope they go back to their roots and make a game during the prohibition era. While the third one had some great characters and a promising storyline, the gameplay was way too repetitive as others have mentioned.

Also, them leaning in on the classic linear "driving simulator"of the first two instead of just becoming a GTA clone could hopefully help it stand out in a sea of open world games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Insider Shpeshal Nick in his latest XboxEra podcast spoke about the alleged new installment of the Mafia series , which we wrote about at the beginning of the month. As reported by his anonymous source:

• the action of ” Mafia 4 ” may be set in Sicily ,
  • specifically at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries ,
  • the new version will be a bit more linear than Mafia III and in this aspect resemble the first two parts of the gangster cycle,
  • the story will focus on the adventures of Don Salieri ‘s family ,
  • this guy is well known to fans of Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven and its remake called Mafia: Final Edition .

JCK75

There was a lot right about Mafia 3, it's failures were just too big to ignore but I still loved the story and setting.
I hope they deliver big on the next game because I love the franchise..
also I want another fucking Hidden and Dangerous already more like the first than the second.

Top Bottom