• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku bitching about CoD Vanguard - it's too woke, apparently, to the point it defies history ... *SPOILERS*

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's warped woke'ism, because the game doesn't talk about"REAL RACISM" they are not doing their job correctly, apparently, and in turn, it's just a fake appeal to black people.

Basically, it doesn't show black people being talked down to, abused, and treated like shit, so in their eyes, it's a fake woke game.

They want black people to be shown as slaves and being abused at all times, or else it's not real. According to them.
The state of their bigoted, prejudice, and racist ideology. And it’s so depressing sometimes that they just don’t see it.

Yeah the writer lost me when he started to talk about “woke” anything.

Talk about thin skinned individuals, it’s a fictional story it can be whatever they want it to be.

what the hell happened to kotaku’s writing staff it’s horrible now.

elliot5

Honestly I agree with Kotaku in a way. They made a checklist of characters that are super bland, and super smart and awesome. The black guy speaks German, Russian and is a natural leader with no faults (lol). Meanwhile most of the game , you are a one man army against comically evil Nazis. Which is kinda written in a way that is awkward. Stalingrad is hilariously badly represented, and it's one lady with a sniper rifle against thousands of Nazis. Everything felt empty in the Stalingrad missions. The characteraztion written in the above article is ... yeah accurate.
Yeah, Iactually read the entire thing and it seems like fair criticism. Kotaku is often trash, but this isn't a bad article.

trikster40

So, if I read that correctly (which I probably didn’t from all the eye rolling), they’re glad that black men are finally getting recognition for the war, but they’re mad that they’re acting like today’s woke crowd and not being oppressed like they were? So they’re mad that the game isn’t racist??

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So, if I read that correctly (which I probably didn’t from all the eye rolling), they’re glad that black men are finally getting recognition for the war, but they’re mad that they’re acting like today’s woke crowd and not being oppressed like they were? So they’re mad that the game isn’t racist??

Yep. That's what I got. They wanted the game to reflect the racist and misogynistic views of the time, rather than reflecting the social views of 2021.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These ultra woke bigots always seem to want to keep the black man viewed in the lens of oppression. They just don’t see the racist indoctrination they’ve been taught.

Case in point, they’re mad about this supposed historical inaccuracy when it comes to not slapping the black man down at every turn, but ignore the plethora of other inaccuracies by UbiSoft and EA, etc, when it comes to other Mediterranean, Asian or Caucasian cultures.

Also, protip for them, not every squad or platoon that had black soldiers were treated in such a way. It wasn’t blanketed and doesn’t need to be depicted as that at every turn. Was it common? Sure. But stories can be told about instances where it wasn’t prevalent as well. But the overseers that condition your mindset, don’t want that. They want the superior and inferior paradigm to persist. Chains in the brains.

nush

Gold Member
Also, protip for them, not every squad or platoon that had black soldiers were treated in such a way.

From accounts of the war I've read when there's a lot of guys over there shooting at your team nobody gave a shit who was on your team shooting back. In a way, forcing people to mix has it's way of breaking down preconceptions and segregation.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Its an interesting article really as it basically shows just how much this site, and probably most sites and companies, etc, arent really woke to begin with, but do it to keep the Twitter mob from cancelling them.

zaanan

Banned
I read far enough to understand the title is wrong. Kotaku is actually mad bc they think Activision is pandering *insincerely*. They are mad bc the Nazis are shown to be racists, but the filthy Americans are not. So no, Kotaku has not “realized” anything here.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I feel like there's a difference between wanting representation, versus making mary sues with a pain of coat.

I would love to play as those Russian Dive bombers called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

Or other real life soldiers that were people of colour, rather than Super Soldiers blitzing through WW2. Yes put some racism in there, and issues between whites and coloured units, that probably did happen, but making everybody a mary sue and infalliable is so boring.
Yeah I totally agree with this.

They try soooo hard to make you like “diverse” characters. They’ll have no flaws and be super nice and smart and good at everything the first time they try. It’s so boring and trite.

I don’t necessarily want a video game that explores all the complexity of historical racism. That’s not what I’m interested in from a game. But at least make characters that are freaking interesting and that work as characters. Not every minority character needs to be some walking infomercial for how wonderful their race/gender/sexual orientation can be.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
They're a bunch of cabbaged brained potatoes. I have no idea why y'all keep wanting to give them clicks and continue to talk about how stupid they are, the world would be much better off without them. Or, if we just don't talk about them at all and act like they don't exist, lmao.

I'm almost certain that Vanguard was mentioned that it would be a fictional take on WW2, almost like a "what if" scenario, very early on in its development. So this whole article of theirs is just... well, pointless, lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I read far enough to understand the title is wrong. Kotaku is actually mad bc they think Activision is pandering *insincerely*. They are mad bc the Nazis are shown to be racists, but the filthy Americans are not. So no, Kotaku has not “realized” anything here.
steve bannon stephen GIF

Kind of couldn’t give a shit about any of that stuff, I’m there to shoot things and enjoy the chaos. All this treading on eggshells and tick boxes to please the woke crowd is properly tiresome. I miss when games were games and people stopped treating them as a canvas for their political beliefs. It’s slowly becoming impossible to find an escape.

JoeBudden

Lmao what a fucking reach.

And like someone else said here, zombies and aliens are cool in a WW2 game, but add black people and suddenly it's a problem for these idiots lol.

Last edited:

Fbh

On the one hand I agree with some of what they are saying
On the other hand this is one of the reasons why you shouldn't pander to the woke crowd, because complaining and being upset/offended is just as (or more) important to them than the actual "issues" they care about. So even if you pander to them it's never going to be ok, it's going to be not woke enough, or woke in the wrong way, or forcefully woke or some other shit.

Last edited:
KOTAKU: We need more black and female representation in games!
ACTIVISION: Totally! Here's Vanguard!
KOTAKU: You're pandering, #@%* you.

They are pandering though, they could have made the game about random soldiers of people of colour trying to survive in the hell of WW2. Instead we got literal special snowflakes with horrible dialogue, and a kinda boring campaign where every one of these characters are literal Rambos.

Honestly I agree with Kotaku in a way. They made a checklist of characters that are super bland, and super smart and awesome. The black guy speaks German, Russian and is a natural leader with no faults (lol). Meanwhile most of the game , you are a one man army against comically evil Nazis. Which is kinda written in a way that is awkward. Stalingrad is hilariously badly represented, and it's one lady with a sniper rifle against thousands of Nazis. Everything felt empty in the Stalingrad missions. The characteraztion written in the above article is ... yeah accurate.
Bingo 🙌🏾

90% of games.
Nah, I liked Infinite Warfare, MW2019, and even the new Black Ops campaign was while short, was really well done and interesting. COD:WW2 had diversity, and it was well done, plus it was brutal and horrifying without the need to result for schloky clichés. This game is just baaaaad. You can see this was barely done in a year or there were massive issues during development.

I mean shit there is not even an animation playing when the dogs attack you, or a random soldier with a bayonet charges towards you and kills you. The screen just cuts out.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

They are pandering though, they could have made the game about random soldiers of people of colour trying to survive in the hell of WW2. Instead we got literal special snowflakes with horrible dialogue, and a kinda boring campaign where every one of these characters are literal Rambos.

Counterpoint: So?

Mabdia

Well... those clowns complain about a game not being filled with woke propaganda to later complain that a game has a woke propaganda...

Can you sick morons decides what you really wants?

How about a game, a movie and other things not bein used as a political propaganda?

Banned
Kotaku defends Woke Rewriting of Historical events: *NEOGAF SHITS ON THEM*

Kotaku is against Woke Rewriting of Historical events: *NEOGAF SHITS ON THEM*

You guys are fucking cringe, as the kids would say.
especially the people now saying that they don't like how they first are pro wokeness and arenow against it... well AREN'T YOU DOING THE EXACT SAME? first you want them to stop pushing woke shit, now they do and you're still not happy

Kacho

Gold Member
That sounds hilariously awful. How did we go from dudebro to this garbage? 😂

Arun1910

Imagine caring about this. It's a video game. The storyline is fake, the characters are fake.

It never claimed to be historically accurate. Just that it's set during the 40's.

*Nightwing

The same hypocritical propaganda outlet also said the exact oposite opinion on battlefield v to maintain thier lack of consistency :

"Not much of what’s going on is historically accurate, but again, that’s not the point. These off-the-beaten-path tales, of lesser-known theatres of the greatest war in human history, acknowledge their fictional nature up-front. None of these stories are meant as a literal re-telling, but instead serve as a vehicle to make us think, to acknowledge that this was a war fought by countless millions who never saw their deeds turned into a Call of Duty campaign or a Steven Spielberg movie."

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I finished the campaign and I agree that Polina is basically a superhero Spiderman, the deadliest and most aggressive member of the team "What? Because I'm a WOMAN??? Fucking men"

They gave the leader role to the black man and of course the white racists are going "He's BLACK!!" and there is also a white character that is saved by an all-black group of soldiers and they bring up their skin color as soon as they appear on screen.

I still enjoyed it but it is absolutely woke. Same for multiplayer, mostly female and black characters that you get by default.

I was able to unlock two black female characters without even trying so I guess they made them the easiest to unlock too.

I thought Kotaku was the champion of diversity no matter if it made sense or not in the past.

Is it opposite day?
They swung from the left to the right. But they seem to be reaching with this. Again it seems and comes across like the writer of the article has very thin skin

Saber

Gold Member
These people created those monsters that spit in history itself and everything people stood for and now they won't take responsibility for it lmao

When everything is woke...nothing will be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom