• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku claims Gamepass “burnout”, Xbox responds, gets ratio’ed

kingfey

Banned
God please, delete twitter.
My Eyes Pain GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why would that be bad?

No idea, you're supposed to get equal or close number of likes, otherwise its bad that people are just commenting ? Again, I'm not really a twitter user, just have it for the news and stuff.

reksveks

Why would that be bad?

No idea, you're supposed to get equal or close number of likes, otherwise its bad that people are just commenting ? Again, I'm not really a twitter user, just have it for the news and stuff.

It's the definition that Topher posted as far as I understand it. So basically 12x more people liked or agreed with the Xbox tweet then the kotaku one.

I don't see how the burn out is coming... Not that I am a fan, but where are the numbers?

Also, I don't see how "getting ratioed" appkies to any of this.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
"On the social media platform Twitter, a ratio, or getting ratioed, is when replies to a tweet vastly outnumber likes or retweets"

That's what I found googling.

So, who "got ratio'ed" here?

Or OP said they "got ratio'ed" just because Tom Warren said they did but didn't bother counting? 🤔

Besides the frankly weird terminology, that's the primary source of my confusion.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The best (or worst) part is that the Xbox GP tweet isn’t actually ratio’d as of now. So we have a thread about an article about random tweets of people saying they are unsubcribing, actually making an incorrect claim from Tom Warren?

It’s really a sign there’s a drought… in gaming news.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
7c68e4ecd62dec06d789cf80023bcefd.jpg

Atleast we are generating clicks am I right?

Why would that be bad?
Think about it this way.
You make a statement.
Someone rebuts it.
Everyone likes the rebuttal.

Youve been ratio'd.
Basically the original statement in the court of public opinion is full of shit, and people are digging the rebuttal.

Topher

Gold Member
Kotaku is a shit heap and they are probably happy with the response, but that response from Xbox game pass account is seorusly some insecure shit.

The response doesn't even make sense since the article literally says this is about AAA games. Article subtitle:

"A drought of AAA games has spurred some to unsub from Microsoft’s games-on-demand service—for now"

Kotaku should respond "tell me you didn't read the article without telling me you didn't read the article".

Having said that, it is a stupid article. They took a few tweets and made some incredibly broad assumptions.

Last edited:

skit_data

I don't really get this take from Microsoft... offering AAA day one games is literally the absolute key differentiator that Gamepass has over other services, why would they insult someone who would subscribe to the service just for that?

edit
this is basically the conversation:

microsoft: sub to gamepass we have day 1 aaa games
subscriber: i have noticed a lack of day 1 aaa games
microsoft: what kind of faggot wants day 1 aaa games?
Indeed, it’s a wierd response. Pretty much admitting one of their USPs is ”bad” and shaming someone for expecting them to deliver on it.

Edit: Actually, I think their wierd response is way more of a talking point than that dogshit article made up of nothing.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Why would that be bad?
Right? I don't understand.
Doesn't that mean your Tweet resulted in a conversation and engagement on the platform? This sounds like a good thing.
Also I can't tell who got 'Ratioed' based on those screenshots.
Was it Kotaku or the MS thing?

kingfey

Banned
Came to ask this.

Now that I know what it means I'm certain social media is causing humanity to regress.
It always did. I mean, I was a clown for those media, before I pulled myself out.

All it does, is show you stupid stuff, nothing more. Hook you up with unnecessary cringy stuff, which make you laugh like an idiot. Its contagious, if you continue to use it, without a moderation.

Now I am not using social media. Reddit is only for scientific researches purposes, and (Manga, games). No facebook, and other social media on my phone.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The response doesn't even make sense since the article literally says this is about AAA games. Article subtitle:

"A drought of AAA games has spurred some to unsub from Microsoft’s games-on-demand service—for now"

Kotaku should respond "tell me you didn't read the article without telling me you didn't read the article".

Having said that, it is a stupid article. They took a few tweets and made incredibly broad assumptions.

Also, the author of the article is bad at maths.

All right, time for some reductive math! Let's say that you've signed up for the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate tier, which costs $15 a month and includes standard access to the game library plus a number of other perks. Let's also assume any big-budget games, exclusive or not, that hit the service cost an industry-standard $60. By that math, you'd need to play two full-price games via Game Pass every four months to justify the cost.

As per the article: 2 full price games every 4 months, i-e 6 full priced games a year.

Actuality: 15*12 = 180 i-e 3 full priced games a year.

I guess there's a reason Kotaku is the butt of so many gaming jokes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom