• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku claims Gamepass “burnout”, Xbox responds, gets ratio’ed

reksveks

Urban Dictionary is just a bunch of colloquial nonsense though where people don't know. A bunch of people thumbs upping an incorrect user created definition shows nothing other than others not knowing the original definition. Like how some still use "could care less"

@Shmunter is correct with the definition:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/words-were-watching-ratio-ratioed-ratioing
You guys are acting like definitions don't change. The line between 'people not knowing' and 'people using it different' is very thin but ehh, this is all kinda of useless so bowing out.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Urban Dictionary is just a bunch of colloquial nonsense though where people don't know. A bunch of people thumbs upping an incorrect user created definition shows nothing other than others not knowing the original definition. Like how some still use "could care less"

@Shmunter is correct with the definition:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/words-were-watching-ratio-ratioed-ratioing
You do know any colloquialism cant really have a "correct" definition.
Whatever the community decides it is....it is even if it becomes the opposite of what the initial phrase meant.
While ratio'd was initially simply for replies outweighing likes its morphed to include a reply getting more likes than the original statement.

Three

You guys are acting like definitions don't change. The line between 'people not knowing' and 'people using it different' is very thin but ehh, this is all kinda of useless so bowing out.

It's all semantics so pretty boring and pedantic stuff but if definitions changed so rapidly because people argued for incorrect ones they would all be meaningless and confusing.

You do know any colloquialism cant really have a "correct" definition.
Whatever the community decides it is....it is even if it becomes the opposite of what the initial phrase meant.
While ratio'd was initially simply for replies outweighing likes its morphed to include a reply getting more likes than the original statement.
Yeah that's what colloquialism is but that's not what ratioed now means because it got some likes on urban dictionary. Those using twitter and knowing the origin of the term would know better than those searching up the word, getting that urban dictionary definition then giving it a thumbs up.

Last edited:
One day people will realize you can only play one game at a time and it doesn't matter if you have access to 1000 games or not. Odds are you have a better games on your backlog already.

I want to chose the games I want to play and I'll only abuse these services to pay less for games that I would gladly already pay for anyway.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

This makes no sense.

PS Now has been around before Game Pass and they only added new features when they combined it with PS+.

You're talking about fanboys vs an official XB GP twitter account.
This makes no sense because [insert random reason]...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I have no idea what being "ratio" means but I can say I have been enjoying the none AAA titles gamepass has been handing me.

There seems like a good focus of giving some pretty cool RPG's onto the service and I appreciate that... also I'm playing Grounded which while not finished is pretty awesome.

But each to their own, I'm under no illusion that most want a new Halo every month, especially with how poor the longevity of GAF's GotY turned out to be.

Last edited:

reksveks

I watched the video, did not seem like he made anything up in it, if you can time reference a particular point, i can have a look.

I don't reward clickbait with a view but the thumbnail shows a tweet from Parris out of context, he takes 4 words out of a much longer tweet.

I assume he shows the full tweet in the video?

sircaw

Banned
I don't reward clickbait with a view but the thumbnail shows a tweet from Parris out of context, he takes 4 words out of a much longer tweet.

I assume he shows the full tweet in the video?
he looks through a good number of tweets in it, one is meant to be some famous game developer who has 700 000 followers, i have no idea who half of these people are but his explanation seems fair to me.

Atleast ethomaz ethomaz would be here telling us how Mark Cerny told him how the ratio works and that his engineers engineered the ratios to always work in Sonys favor, so any time Xbox or Xbox Game Pass or Xbox Support accounts get any sort of win ratio its really just a ploy by Sony to actually win the ratio by getting all those extra G/pixels in the PS5 GPU to travel to the SSD and back giving the PS5 an extra boost in performance in Elden Ring being played in PS4 BC mode.
You can follow ethomaz ethomaz on Twitter.

But you don't need to bother...
Probably you can find all this in his post history here at GAF, guy was a true Nostradamus of GAF.
Predicted recent MSFT game delays already in 2020.
He even lives in your head rent free, so he probably already knows you miss him so much.

Pouring Austin Powers GIF

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This makes no sense because [insert random reason]...
I didn't give a random reason.

I think you replied to me before with some ridiculous claims before, so when the notification showed up, I knew I was ready to shake my head. lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
of course xbox will get more replies because the got more followers.
The realy ratio should be calculated by % of followers who liked maybe ?

This is all stupid without dislikes

The kotaku account has literally double the followers that the game pass one does.

F3QaWcf.jpg

Y092O7t.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You can follow ethomaz ethomaz on Twitter.

But you don't need to bother...
Probably you can find all this in his post history here at GAF, guy was a true Nostradamus of GAF.
Predicted recent MSFT game delays already in 2020.
He even lives in your head rent free, so he probably already knows you miss him so much.

Pouring Austin Powers GIF
Literally the only person on GAF in all my years here that I ever wanted to put on ignore.
Do I miss him.....absolutely not.....but I will never forget him.
Negative experiences have a habit of doing that.

KWAB

Banned
The kotaku account has literally double the followers that the game pass one does.

F3QaWcf.jpg

Y092O7t.jpg
Yeah but pretty safe to say the Game Pass account has way more active followers. As you can see Kotaku's account is 10 years older it must be full of bots and dead accounts.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah but pretty safe to say the Game Pass account has way more active followers. As you can see Kotaku's account is 10 years older it must be full of bots and dead accounts.

I also have a feeling that in general less people will want to stand up for Kotako on twitter :p

You don't get it.

You have the official Xbox Twitter account engaging in console warring. This wouldn't be an issue if they weren't preaching against it. You also have to remember how Phil Spencer claims to be against console warring, yet he allows it. Hell, he even follows some of the biggest console warriors on Twitter.

I mention PS Now because the official Xbox Twitter account mocked PS+ new subscription service. Now do you see why bringing up PS fanboys had nothing to do with the conversation?
There was nothing console war about the Twitter post. I didn't see PlayStation or Nintendo mentioned anywhere. Where was PS+ mentioned. Again it just seems like people are just uptight. The PS fan mention seem quite apt seeing how they are the ones upset over nothing. Be it Game pass or Twitter posts.

I wonder how people would react today with those 'Genesis does can't get this on Nintendo' commercials from the 90s? I'm certain there would be much pearl clutching. Did you lose any sleep over the Shuhei Boyes video on how to share PS4 titles?
It’s console warring to mention that GP has day 1 games and that pre-orders are open?

The only one that could be considered a jab is the one about the vertical position and that’s a huge stretch.
Clearly some are way too invested in this hobby.

Fake

"On the social media platform Twitter, a ratio, or getting ratioed, is when replies to a tweet vastly outnumber likes or retweets"

That's what I found googling.

Twitter and their twitter things...

edit:

The memes/pictures there are even worst.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There was nothing console war about the Twitter post. I didn't see PlayStation or Nintendo mentioned anywhere. Where was PS+ mentioned. Again it just seems like people are just uptight. The PS fan mention seem quite apt seeing how they are the ones upset over nothing. Be it Game pass or Twitter posts.

I wonder how people would react today with those 'Genesis does can't get this on Nintendo' commercials from the 90s? I'm certain there would be much pearl clutching. Did you lose any sleep over the Shuhei Boyes video on how to share PS4 titles?
Sony releases a breakdown video on October 7th that shows how to disassemble the PlayStation 5.

It's first revealed that you have to use screws to either position the PlayStation 5 vertically or horizontally.

Xbox Twitter tweets ours later showing how easy it is to position the Xbox Series X Console.

You think it has nothing to do with console wars. LOL. It's no surprise that you would deny it.

Sony releases a breakdown video on October 7th that shows how to disassemble the PlayStation 5.

It's first revealed that you have to use screws to either position the PlayStation 5 vertically or horizontally.

Xbox Twitter tweets ours later showing how easy it is to position the Xbox Series X Console.

You think it has nothing to do with console wars. LOL. It's no surprise that you would deny it.
No. I don't think those things are related at all. I am thinking you are looking to be outraged over either a) ignoring the tweet or b) laughing it off. There is nothing console war-like about the tweet man. Maybe you could play a game to take your mind off of it.

indies are great but the hardcore crowd wants the big AAA stuff too. thats why sony and microsoft get slaughtered when they do a show that focuses on indies too much. remember ps4 being trolled by being called indiestation 4? we dont buy consoles just to play indie games all year.

DaGwaphics

Without exception, there is nobody in all of gaming media that I detest more than Tom Warren. And that’s saying something when you have the likes of Schreier and Grubb around…

Because at least with the other two you get there sense that they have a brain. Warren basically just memes and spreads his terrible ideas; like his recent tweet where he suggests Xbox should release a dedicated handheld! In this day and age it’s hard enough to manage producing quality content for one console, never mind two.

A handheld would be a great idea if it's done in a way that would work with the existing library. Maybe a portable XSS near the end of the generation or something like that.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No. I don't think those things are related at all. I am thinking you are looking to be outraged over either a) ignoring the tweet or b) laughing it off. There is nothing console war-like about the tweet man. Maybe you could play a game to take your mind off of it.
You often go after me every time I criticize MS. So you're obviously going to deny everything. That's what fanboys often do.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Man I don't care if you criticize MS. You think that makes you special? I am simply saying you are wrong and reading into something that isn't there. Sounds like typical conspiracy theories about a company you don't like.
Look at the thread. Other people thought it was, too.

You're in denial.

A handheld would be a great idea if it's done in a way that would work with the existing library. Maybe a portable XSS near the end of the generation or something like that.
Oh yeah agreed on that, but squishing that hardware into a handheld at an affordable price is far from trivial so an Xbox handheld is a silly suggestion by Warren right now, especially with the chip shortage.

Also Windows is so unoptimised it wouldn’t be suitable for a light battery powered handheld which is meant to run current gen games, so it’s need to run some light version of Xbox OS too…

Last edited:

skit_data

I’m more surprised by Xbox Game Pass, Major Nelson and inExile engaging with this clickbait article than anything else.

Last edited:

Aure

Banned
Can't believe that there are people who still read garbage and filth like Kotaku, RPS, PCGamer, Polygon, etc.

Top Bottom