• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku claims Gamepass “burnout”, Xbox responds, gets ratio’ed

Hestar69

So, they'll say a service is good when it's good? How is that wrong?

Gamepass has been offering really poor updates for a while, how is Kotaku wrong for reporting it?
Yes...Getting life is strange,guardians,Trek to yomi (day 1) danganronpa 1/2,,ai somnium files these last 2 months have been "poor" Also sniper elite 5 day 1 in 2 days...

Yeah such a "poor" service..get real.

kingfey

Banned
nice tits
Oh my thank you
dodgeball boobies GIF

The Dreamcast was wonderful

I think he meant the Genesis/MegaDrive era. Tons of attack ads from Sega of America against Nintendo then. TBF it was peak era for that stuff; even Nintendo got into some digs near the end. NEC and especially SNK, too.

Funny thing is it was almost exclusively the Western branches doing it. The Japanese side had too much class for mudslinging tactics.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kotaku is a lousy, awful site but the phenomenon they are highlighting is quite possibly real.

You can't expect continuous explosive growth from Gamepass, especially at a time when hardware supply is constrained. And of course delaying Starfield and Redfall is going to cost them a few subs at least temporarily.

That said, its most likely nothing significant. And being a service, when conditions improve no doubt its profitability and popularity will get an uplift.

Its a nothingburger. Getting angry either way just means you're clearly over-invested in making a point.

octiny

Banned
So... Xbox is angry about people expecting what they promised from the service?

That series of response from official Xbox accounts and studios is a cringefest.

So when you say "people" what you really mean is the minority, correct? Hence why Kotaku got ratio'ed.

I don’t quite get how twitter works. Was it IGN or MS that got ratio’ed?

Kotaku got ratio'ed, also known as...

jn418YD.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Remember early in the PS4 lifecycle when Sony only had a bunch of indies for a while and Xbox fans shat all over Sony calling them "Indiestation"?

Now these same Xbox fans are out here defending Game Pass because it has a whole bunch of indies on it and are making absolutely cringe statements like "Indies are better than AAA anyday".

Fucking LOL. Can't make this up. Maybe the head of Xbox shouldn't have made a statement about releasing AAA games in a 3 month cycle if Xbox can't deliver them. 2 years between Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 5. Almost two years between Infinite and Starfield, the latter of which they had to buy to make into an exclusive. They literally have nothing but Forza Motorsport in the pipeline from their own studios. Gears 6 is years out. Perfect Dark and Everwild are in development hell at their respective studios. Forza Horizon 6 is in development but, given the release windows of the past games, probably won't be out until 2024.

Microsoft mismanagement strikes again.
If they hadn't bought Bethesda, they'd have literally nothing outside of Forza Motorsport until 2024.
I remember Sony shoving No mans sky shoving down my throat in every fucking conference and trying to pass it off as AAA. I laughed my ass off when they had to offer refunds for every copy. I knew it was fucking indie trash from day one.

P.S Transistor sucked too. I dont care how well it reviewed. I was like i didnt pay $400 for this shit. you dont need 8GB GDDR5 to run an isometric game.

P.P.S MS need to cough up the dollars and buy every single AAA game for the rest of the year for a day one release. MLB the show and Guardians isnt good enough. Get Saints Row, Plague's Tale 2, CoD Modern Warfare, Avatar if it makes this year, Gotham Knights, and Hogwarts Legacy as day one releases. They have 25 million monthly subs feeding them $250 million a month which means $3 billion a year. if they cant fund those games with $3 billlion then they need to shut up shop and walk away.

The more I think about it, the more I think this response was pretty tone deaf and somewhat insensitive to certain ongoing criticisms of MS's AAA output, especially in light of the RedFall & Starfield delays.

Essentially responding that people who were looking forward to your two biggest AAA games of the year, force themselves to play indies to somehow "make up" for them, when even AAA/AA exclusives like STALKER 2 have been delayed (albeit in their case, due to a war crisis), is pretty bad and I'm getting some Saturn-era Sega vibes in terms of how this might be potentially disrespectful to a portion of legitimately frustrated fans.

Zeroing

Banned
So, they'll say a service is good when it's good? How is that wrong?

Gamepass has been offering really poor updates for a while, how is Kotaku wrong for reporting it?
It is time people stop with the twitter campaign to smear Gamepass image, Gamepass after Aquaman 1 movie was set to a meteor rise in Hollywood....

Now being seriously, some people are so used to Xbox being the American media darling. The amount of attention and lack of criticism is huge when compared to Sony and Nintendo.

hlm666

P.P.S MS need to cough up the dollars and buy every single AAA game for the rest of the year for a day one release. MLB the show and Guardians isnt good enough. Get Saints Row, Plague's Tale 2, CoD Modern Warfare, Avatar if it makes this year, Gotham Knights, and Hogwarts Legacy as day one releases. They have 25 million monthly subs feeding them $250 million a month which means $3 billion a year. if they cant fund those games with $3 billlion then they need to shut up shop and walk away.
Asobo did Flight Sim so they could possibly get Plague Tale 2 day 1 on gamepass, but honestly if MS are buying anyone in the future they should acquire them first. I agree they need to start getting higher profile things on gamepass day 1 until their first party stuff starts showing up, They got Sniper Elite 5 so maybe that's an indication they see the problem. Have to see what they show at their showcase or whatever it's called these days to see if they got the memo.

Shmunter

Kotaku is a lousy, awful site but the phenomenon they are highlighting is quite possibly real.

You can't expect continuous explosive growth from Gamepass, especially at a time when hardware supply is constrained. And of course delaying Starfield and Redfall is going to cost them a few subs at least temporarily.

That said, its most likely nothing significant. And being a service, when conditions improve no doubt its profitability and popularity will get an uplift.

Its a nothingburger. Getting angry either way just means you're clearly over-invested in making a point.
If sub services like gamepass eventually hit a sub cap, increasing content becomes unsustainable, meaning many studios are left out in the cold. Conversely, if gamepass has eroded purchase habits, studios not on gamepass cannot get the sales they require.

Applies to Sony following in these footsteps. There will be little options remaining, industry death spiral.

If sub services like gamepass eventually hit a sub cap, increasing content becomes unsustainable, meaning many studios are left out in the cold. Conversely, if gamepass has eroded purchase habits, studios not on gamepass cannot get the sales they require.

Applies to Sony following in these footsteps. There will be little options remaining, industry death spiral.

I don't know if a "death spiral" will happen per se, but I do think there's a cap to total subs for these services. Right now for Netflix and even Disney+ we're seeing the cap around 120 - 220 million. IF they're lucky, maybe 300 million but that is a reach in of itself.

Gaming services patterned after them like GamePass, I'm thinking their maximum cap is, at best, half of that, 60 - 110 million at most. Which is about in line with actual console sales in a given generation for the Big 3. Which might mean the market for subscription services in terms of subscriber numbers, may not be any bigger than the market for console buyers, and in fact might be lower than that due to habits of skipping around services from month to month (if that's the way a person is using them).

Theoretically a subscriber base of 60 million would bring in more revenue over a generation than 60 million people purchasing a console, but in practice I think the overall revenue and profit figures would be more similar than dissimilar between the two approaches. The only potential other big area the sub model could save in are production & shipping/distribution costs; since there's no physical model to sell you don't have to spend on producing them. So in relation to revenue off of manufacturing consoles (even later into a gen when those costs are generally cheaper), a sub service should give notably more revenue and higher profit margins than those off of console hardware production & sales alone.

But then there's the issue that, if subscription services become the only model going forward, if the market cap for subs to a service isn't any larger than that for a physical console's install base (per sub service), how do you get near the revenue off 1P & 3P software sales & DLC/MTX even with the unrealistic scenario of meeting theoretical subscription service performance, where every person is paying in full every month the whole year for it? Off a 110 million sub-count service, you get $13.2 billion/year as the peak theoretical, but we have proof where in the traditional console market space, a console with 110 million units can generate over an extra $10 billion/year on top of that $13.2 billion/year relying less on subscription services and more on direct sales of 1P/3P content and DLC/MTX.

And let's also be aware of the fact that, in a scenario where Netflix-style gaming subscription services are the main market, sales of games will crater even if that's an option (which we're assuming here would most likely not be the case), similar to how the market for Blu-Ray and DVD purchases have shrunk considerably in the streaming era (only the small minority of hardcore film buffs & collectors still do Blu-Ray/DVD as their main way of watching movies).

In any case it's going to be very interesting to see what happens with this aspect of the market over the next 2-3 years. I think by then we'll know for a fact what the actual potential of a games subscription service model will be. Whether it's profitable enough and large enough to support Day 1 AAA games as a whole and replace the traditional model, or if it's better served as a convenient means of providing an archived backlog of older content.

Fredrik

”All right, time for some reductive math! Let’s say that you’ve signed up for the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate tier, which costs $15 a month and includes standard access to the game library plus a number of other perks. Let’s also assume any big-budget games, exclusive or not, that hit the service cost an industry-standard $60. By that math, you’d need to play two full-price games via Game Pass every four months to justify the cost.” /Kotaku

I’ve been paying $5/month for Ultimate since the start and will keep doing that at least until 2024. Same thing with the new PS+.

But fair enough, at full price I would probably hesitate right now. MS needs to deliver something big at their June event.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I’ve been paying $5/month for Ultimate since the start and will keep doing that at least until 2024. Same thing with the new PS+.

But fair enough, at full price I would probably hesitate right now. MS needs to deliver something big at their June event.

You know the funny thing is the author flunked the maths in that line. He says 2 full price games every 4 months, i-e 6 games every year.

Even at full price, game pass ultimate is $180 per year. That's 3 games, not 6.

Not even counting the most prominent ways you can save money via the Gold to GPU conversion, where it becomes one or even less full priced game per year.

As soon as Sony announced their revamped subscription service, Xbox quickly took a shot as Sony by saying you can play new releases day-one on Game Pass.

Now it's, "Hey, there are indie games, too!"
You can say the same about the other side.

“Services like Gamepass are bad for gaming!!!”

Sony revamps PS plus with a GP style offering: “Oh, we like this now!”

ParaSeoul

Can't believe we're at the point where people are posting Twitter replies of their favourite brand account.

Last edited:

Dlacy13g

Indeed, it’s a wierd response. Pretty much admitting one of their USPs is ”bad” and shaming someone for expecting them to deliver on it.

Edit: Actually, I think their wierd response is way more of a talking point than that dogshit article made up of nothing.
Their response is targeted squarely at Kotaku and calling out a gaming site for their lack of vision to look beyond AAA games as the only thing Gamepass can/should offer. Gamepass as a whole offers day 1 games that includes indies and AAA. They also promise their 1st party day 1...and they also promise games that have already been released AAA and/or Indie. They have and continue to deliver on that promise. Games may not always be AAA or exclusive to GP... but the has been a constant influx of games.

Mind you, that's my opinion... everyone is entitled to their own. That said, a site like Kotaku you would think would understand the value of indie games more.

ParaSeoul

So PlayStation are doing it just for fun and not on the expectation that it will bring more subs to PS Plus?

Confusion Reaction GIF

That’s not my point though, it’s about the blatant flip flopping of attitudes towards these services. GP is just like PS Plus, it’s not a requirement but an additional add-on.
Main focus is their games which will release as they've always done not day 1 on the sub. Game Pass is basically a requirement if you want the most out of your Xbox though. Its a big reason the Series S is selling the way it is. Playstation is selling out because of its exclusives. Xbox focuses on the subscriptions. Its two different strategies.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Their response is targeted squarely at Kotaku and calling out a gaming site for their lack of vision to look beyond AAA games as the only thing Gamepass can/should offer. Gamepass as a whole offers day 1 games that includes indies and AAA. They also promise their 1st party day 1...and they also promise games that have already been released AAA and/or Indie. They have and continue to deliver on that promise. Games may not always be AAA or exclusive to GP... but the has been a constant influx of games.

Mind you, that's my opinion... everyone is entitled to their own. That said, a site like Kotaku you would think would understand the value of indie games more.
Kotaku is reflecting trending social media. Just like with their woke BS.

Suffice it to say, even people here are expressing they have no desire to pay gamepass sub $ for indies, they want the AAA. The rest is shelf fillers and a bonus.

Shmunter

I still don't know that that means!
If there are more people discussing the topic then showing support for it, then the balance is tilted towards discontent - that’s obvious I imagine?

However in this case, that ratioing is no longer applicable. It must’ve been the case early on, but now there are more ‘likes’ than comments meaning it is no longer ratioed.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You can say the same about the other side.

“Services like Gamepass are bad for gaming!!!”

Sony revamps PS plus with a GP style offering: “Oh, we like this now!”

This makes no sense.

PS Now has been around before Game Pass and they only added new features when they combined it with PS+.

You're talking about fanboys vs an official XB GP twitter account.

This makes no sense.

PS Now has been around before Game Pass and they only added new features when they combined it with PS+.
Since PS Now was first where were the Sony fans proclamations that PS Now would ruin gaming? Where were the Xbox fans complaints about PS Now since both sides do it? Why was it only when MS 'copied' Sony did it become a problem? And people claim there is no 'concern trolling' over Game pass.

Dlacy13g

Kotaku is reflecting trending social media. Just like with their woke BS.

Suffice it to say, even people here are expressing they have no desire to pay gamepass sub $ for indies, they want the AAA. The rest is shelf fillers and a bonus.
But we are getting AAA games... even some day1 into the service this year unless its a "thats not for me minds?. I guess that is where I fail to understand the complaint.

octiny

Banned
I still don't know that that means!

This is the correct answer.

"a reply to a tweet gets more likes than the tweet it was replying to usually indicating the unpopularity or stupidity of the original tweet."

Although the meaning can be slightly altered depending on the situation. The origin of it would usually mean a reply garnered more likes, retweets etc than the original tweet it was replying to. Thus you've been ratio'ed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom