• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku claims Gamepass “burnout”, Xbox responds, gets ratio’ed

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Since PS Now was first where were the Sony fans proclamations that PS Now would ruin gaming? Where were the Xbox fans complaints about PS Now since both sides do it? Why was it only when MS 'copied' Sony did it become a problem? And people claim there is no 'concern trolling' over Game pass.

You two are bringing PS and Xbox fans into this when that is not the point of the conversation. We're talking about Xbox's official Twitter account. You would assume they would not engage in fanboy antics but they do.

God, you guys have to start paying attention.

You two are bringing PS and Xbox fans into this when that is not the point of the conversation. We're talking about Xbox's official Twitter account. You would assume they would not engage in fanboy antics but they do.

God, you guys have to start paying attention.
You were the one who brought up how PS Now was first. With all the concern over Game pass you'd figure the true outrage would be at the one who started this whole thing off yet of course that isn't how it played out.

For the record I don't mind how a company Twitter responds as long as it isn't racist, mean spirited or discriminatory. Looks like it's all in fun so perhaps some people are just uptight. It's videogames live a little.

Embarrassing reply from official GP account.
the office eating GIF

Roberts

I guess I am one of those who actually read the article and for the most part it is actually quite positive about the service and the games. The problem is an almost pathetic click-bait title and the timing of that article. I guess the most interesting thing to come out of this ruckus is that Brian Fargo tweet.

The latest months might feel like a disappointment, but mostly because there are not that many big profile games dropping lately and I kind of understand that: they have been filling the catalogue regularly with all these not-exactly-new but big bangers in the 2020 and 2021, especially after Bethesda acquisition. Now there is just isn't that much to add anymore. But! Personally, I think GP has been great lately. So many under the radar surprises. Seriously, stuff like Citizen Sleeper is legit great.

Last edited:

Shmunter

But we are getting AAA games... even some day1 into the service this year unless its a "thats not for me minds?. I guess that is where I fail to understand the complaint.
There have been a couple of high profile cancellations for this year causing mass discontent online with people purporting to be unsubbing en masse.

Unless fake, it demonstrates fragility in the eco system and how smaller publishers are at the complete mercy of the AAA cycle being linked to it all.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You were the one who brought up how PS Now was first. With all the concern over Game pass you'd figure the true outrage would be at the one who started this whole thing off yet of course that isn't how it played out.

For the record I don't mind how a company Twitter responds as long as it isn't racist, mean spirited or discriminatory. Looks like it's all in fun so perhaps some people are just uptight. It's videogames live a little.

You don't get it.

You have the official Xbox Twitter account engaging in console warring. This wouldn't be an issue if they weren't preaching against it. You also have to remember how Phil Spencer claims to be against console warring, yet he allows it. Hell, he even follows some of the biggest console warriors on Twitter.

I mention PS Now because the official Xbox Twitter account mocked PS+ new subscription service. Now do you see why bringing up PS fanboys had nothing to do with the conversation?

Shmunter

Its supposed to say Kotaku got ratio'd after Xbox replied to them but I think OP forgot how a sentence is structured while jizzing over this situation.
Neither Kotaku or Xbox are ratio'd based on current numbers. Whoever was ratio'd initially, it's no longer the case.

Goalus

Its supposed to say Kotaku got ratio'd after Xbox replied to them but I think OP forgot how a sentence is structured while jizzing over this situation.
Yes, figured that already.
I am still right in the middle of jizzing over the situation as well which got me distracted.

Chukhopops

You don't get it.

You have the official Xbox Twitter account engaging in console warring. This wouldn't be an issue if they weren't preaching against it. You also have to remember how Phil Spencer claims to be against console warring, yet he allows it. Hell, he even follows some of the biggest console warriors on Twitter.

I mention PS Now because the official Xbox Twitter account mocked PS+ new subscription service. Now do you see why bringing up PS fanboys had nothing to do with the conversation?
How is the Xbox GP Twitter account doing console warring exactly ?

arvfab

Banned
Since PS Now was first where were the Sony fans proclamations that PS Now would ruin gaming? Where were the Xbox fans complaints about PS Now since both sides do it? Why was it only when MS 'copied' Sony did it become a problem? And people claim there is no 'concern trolling' over Game pass.

DarkMage: Oh no, Xbox needs to be defended.

the lord of the rings GIF

octiny

Banned
No, that’s not how it works

Actually it is, that's where the original concept came from. When a reply to a tweet gets more likes & retweets than the original tweet. That is where ratio'ed originated from.

You can also ratio yourself in what you're describing but in this case, Xbox ratio'ed Kotaku w/ what I originally said.

Last edited:

Tommi84

But we are getting AAA games... even some day1 into the service this year
You mean like Starfield or Redfall?

Some people may stop paying for service if the game they want is not coming for the next 12 months or so. Especially that MS doesn't have 12months subs and only 3 months ones. They will re-sub next year most likely.

This, more than anything, shows that somepeople will stop paying for service almost immediately so companies needs to provide constant stream of high-quality content or else ;)

Shmunter

Actually it is, that's where the original concept came from. When a reply to a tweet gets more likes & retweets than the original tweet. That is where ratio'ed originated from.

You can also ratio yourself in what you're describing but in this case, Xbox ratio'ed Kotaku w/ what I originally said.
Sorry, that makes no sense, just shows engagement. Why not add up all the replies, or half, or none at all. You measure like/dislike per post not arbitrary counts. You can’t have a ratio with unrelated measures.

If you want a winner - look up the ratio of each and compare the numbers. The bigger like to comment ratio wins.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Sorry, that makes no sense, just shows engagement. Why not add up all the replies, or half, or none at all. You measure like/dislike per post not arbitrary counts. You can’t have a ratio with unrelated measures.

If you want a winner - look up the ratio of each and compare the numbers. The bigger like to comment ratio wins.

Because...it's twitter. Half the things they do don't make sense, but it is what it is. That's how you get ratio'ed by someone else.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How is the Xbox GP Twitter account doing console warring exactly ?

Hours Later

In a now deleted tweet
NydZCcr-983x1030.jpg

Sony randomly made pre-orders available, which caused many problems for gamers. Xbox Twitter responds with the usual jab. It turns out that they suffered a lot of problems, too.

They know fanboys are active on Twitter and that's why they do it. It's doing nothing more than fueling the console wars.

Shmunter

Because...it's twitter. Half the things they do don't make sense, but it is what it is. That's how you get ratio'ed by someone else.
Let me explain it a bit simpler….

5 people try Oranges. 5 people like them.
10 people try apples. 6 people like them.

Are the Apples better 6 vs 5? No, because from that we can extrapolate that if 10 people tried the oranges, 10 would like it.

Oranges are in fact better even if there are less likes.

And that’s precisely how everything works when ratios are involved, including Twitter.

octiny

Banned
Let me explain it a bit simpler….

5 people try Oranges. 5 people like them.
10 people try apples. 6 people like them.

Are the Apples better 6 vs 5? No, because from that we can extrapolate that if 10 people tried the oranges, 10 would like it.

Oranges are in fact better even if there are less likes.

And that’s precisely how everything works when ratios are involved, including Twitter.

It's clear you're not understanding how Twitter works and what ratio'ed on there means.

It doesn't matter what you think it should or shouldn't be. Like I said, it is what it is, it is how Twitter users coined it.

Edit:

It's like your attempting to argue w/ me on how ratios are evaluated in the technical sense & you're trying to apply that logic to Twitter. Ratio'ed on Twitter is just a simple term of a single reply getting more likes & retweets than the original tweet. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you have a problem with it, take it up with the population of Twitter 🙂

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Hours Later

In a now deleted tweet
NydZCcr-983x1030.jpg

Sony randomly made pre-orders available, which caused many problems for gamers. Xbox Twitter responds with the usual jab. It turns out that they suffered a lot of problems, too.

They know fanboys are active on Twitter and that's why they do it. It's doing nothing more than fueling the console wars.

It’s console warring to mention that GP has day 1 games and that pre-orders are open?

The only one that could be considered a jab is the one about the vertical position and that’s a huge stretch.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It’s console warring to mention that GP has day 1 games and that pre-orders are open?

The only one that could be considered a jab is the one about the vertical position and that’s a huge stretch.

No, they all are. They happened on the same day Sony made announcements.

Shmunter

It's clear you're not understanding how Twitter works and what ratio'ed on there means.

It doesn't matter what you think it should or shouldn't be. Like I said, it is what it is, it is how Twitter users coined it.

Edit:

It's like your attempting to argue w/ me on how ratios are evaluated in the technical sense & you're trying to apply that logic to Twitter. Ratio'ed on Twitter is just a simple term of a single reply getting more likes & retweets than the original tweet. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you have a problem with it, take it up with the population of Twitter 🙂

Your method could even mean getting ratio'd is a positive because a reply tweet got more likes all the while positively supporting the original one, or is natural, or even completely unrelated. There is no way to cross measure as it becomes completely subjective and each and every separate tweet would need be read for context etc. Not sure why this concept is so elusive for you - by your definition ratio'd is meaningless.

But here for your convenience from an authoritative source......now please just take the L and move on.

What else does ratio mean?

On the social media platform Twitter, a ratio, or getting ratioed, is when replies to a tweet vastly outnumber likes or retweets. This means people are objecting to the tweet and considering its content bad.

octiny

Banned
Your method could even mean getting ratio'd is a positive because a reply tweet got more likes all the while positively supporting the original one, or is natural, or even completely unrelated. There is no way to cross measure as it becomes completely subjective and each and every separate tweet would need be read for context etc. Not sure why this concept is so elusive for you - by your definition ratio'd is meaningless.

But here for your convenience from an authoritative source......now please just take the L and move on.

What else does ratio mean?

On the social media platform Twitter, a ratio, or getting ratioed, is when replies to a tweet vastly outnumber likes or retweets. This means people are objecting to the tweet and considering its content bad.

Did you just quote Dictionary.com?

Move on dude. Your first mistake was trying to apply logic to Twitter without knowing exactly how they use the term ratio'ed.

If you want, I could grab about 20 links explaining it but it's clear you're not going to budge.

Edit:

You keep trying to say it's my method, it's like you're looking for a fight? It's the adopted method by the masses of Twitter users. I get it, you're upset by it for whatever reason as it's clear you don't use Twitter often or at all so you picked a fight you already lost without even knowing it.

You're being that old man "No! That's not how you correctly use it". I do find it amusing though, I'll give you that.

BTW, if you used Twitter, you would realize if it was a positive ratio'ed or even a neutral ratio'ed, the term wouldn't be used by users for that particular post. If it ever was, it would be in a meme-ish way.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Xbox's reply got more likes than Kotaku's original post,that is a ratio.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce
of course xbox will get more replies because the got more followers.
The realy ratio should be calculated by % of followers who liked maybe ?

This is all stupid without dislikes

reksveks

The true authoritative source 😜 is the one and only Urban Dictionary

nLzbknf.jpg
LMDyfc2.jpg

See what definition has the better ratio?

Honestly words have different definitions so this conversation is largely boring.

reksveks

It weirdly doesn't on that account. 2.2m (Kotaku) vs 1.1m (XGS). Trying to be overly definitional/prescriptive on something as inane as 'Ratio' is kinda dumb.

ParaSeoul

I think the Game Pass account has less. Still meaningless since that Kotaku article is still valid.

Shmunter

nLzbknf.jpg
LMDyfc2.jpg

Honestly words have different definitions so this conversation is largely boring.

"Ratioed" is defined separate from "ratio" there. Not sure why the 2 are mixed up, no wonder kids are confused these days. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

reksveks

That definition means getting ratio'd is detached from any positive or negative connotation or consistent metric. No wonder kids are confused these days. :messenger_winking_tongue:
The issue is the 'metric' probably started from a platform with an explicit +ve and -ve feedback mechanisms (comments don't count cause semantic analysis is a pain) and then it moved onto twitter where there is only one explicit feedback mechanism aka Likes. You generally ain't liking a tweet that you don't agree with.

Shmunter

The issue is the 'metric' probably started from a platform with an explicit +ve and -ve feedback mechanisms (comments don't count cause semantic analysis is a pain) and then it moved onto twitter where there is only one explicit feedback mechanism aka Likes. You generally ain't liking a tweet that you don't agree with.
I've updated my post after re-reading it, Ratio and Ratioed are separately defined in there.

Getting "Ratioed" is defined as expected there, the rest is unrelated. Terrible source mixing things up like this.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yeah this thread has run its course.
Are we really arguing what being ratio'd means on twitter?
Likes/Replys........whatever, its interchangeable.

Atleast ethomaz ethomaz would be here telling us how Mark Cerny told him how the ratio works and that his engineers engineered the ratios to always work in Sonys favor, so any time Xbox or Xbox Game Pass or Xbox Support accounts get any sort of win ratio its really just a ploy by Sony to actually win the ratio by getting all those extra G/pixels in the PS5 GPU to travel to the SSD and back giving the PS5 an extra boost in performance in Elden Ring being played in PS4 BC mode.

Three

nLzbknf.jpg
LMDyfc2.jpg

Urban Dictionary is just a bunch of colloquial nonsense though where people don't know. A bunch of people thumbs upping an incorrect user created definition shows nothing other than others not knowing the original definition. Like how some still use "could care less"

Shmunter Shmunter is correct with the definition:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/words-were-watching-ratio-ratioed-ratioing

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned

Nah that's clearly a jab, as they have been trying to 1up the PS4 game sharing video which haunted them for the whole past generation.

But I wouldn't consider such friendly banter "fueling" console warriors. Phil's Twitter connections and whatever Greenburger posts on the other hand....

Top Bottom