• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: EA Looking To Sell Or Merge

DonF

Hard to believe the current state of EA. It's always been a scummy company, but at least they delivered the goods in the ps360 era. Last gen their most risky games were unravel and Josef Fares games...

GhostOfTsu

Banned
- Mario Kart is on Switch(45+ million)

-Animal Crossing is on Switch(40+ million)

- Ring Fit Adventure is on Switch(15+ million)

-Super Mario Oddysey(25+ million)

- BOTW(25+ MILLION)

-Smash Bros( 25+ million)

- One Pokemon game every year(At least 15+ million each game)

- Luigi Mansion 3(10+ million)

-Splatoon 2(10+ million)

And so many more.

Most these games have DLC or season passes, Nintendo Switch Online has 30 million+ subs, Nintendo makes a hefty profit in each console sold(which Sony and MS dont).

As for indies, they sell best, by far, on Switch compared to Sony and MS(We are talking more than 500k, at least, for each of the bigger indie games).

And while AAA third parties games are found in less numbers on the Switch, they still sell well enough.(Minecraft, Skyrim, Doom, etc)
All your post is irrelevant. This is a thread about EA and we're talking about third-party publishers. I have no idea why you typed any of that and the point you're making. Yes Nintendo makes lots of money for Nintendo. Great. EA doesn't need to sell anymore then I guess? Very helpful. Rockstar really making bank on Switch huh. Comcast is shook 🤡

No one here hates Sony. Don't project your fanboism to me.

You made a broader point, saying those companies would have went bankruptcy, while ignoring PC and Xbox.

Ps4 is the same story as x360, where big 3rd party games were big on x360. Also those 3rd party games had franchises started on that console.

One more thing, pc is all digital, which means more revenue to these companies. And since those companies have their own launcher, this means 100% revenue belongs to them.

So no, Sony doesn't make alot of money for them.
Once again, all this alternate-reality bullshit. I'm talking now in the real world in real life that's where they make most of their money. If you think that COD, GTA and Ubisoft makes as much on PC right now then on PS Platforms then all I have to say is LOL.

Wishful thinking.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Hard to believe the current state of EA. It's always been a scummy company, but at least they delivered the goods in the ps360 era. Last gen their most risky games were unravel and Josef Fares games...
That is what management does to you. Look at square, their management is fucking them over. All they have left is big IPs, which they are milking it badly.

Konami is getting out of gaming, and neglecting their big IPs.

Without a proper management, you risk of running down your big IPs.

kingfey

Banned
All your post is irrelevant. This is a thread about EA and we're talking about third-party publishers. I have no idea why you typed any of that and the point you're making. Yes Nintendo makes lots of money for Nintendo. Great. EA doesn't need to sell anymore then I guess? Very helpful. Rockstar really making bank on Switch huh. Comcast is shook 🤡

Once again, all this alternate-reality bullshit. I'm talking now in the real world in real life that's where they make most of their money. If you think that COD, GTA and Ubisoft makes as much on PC right now then on PS Platforms then all I have to say is LOL.

Wishful thinking.
In real world, These companies make tons of money on PC period.
Being digital generates way more money, than you think.

Activision for example, makes 100% revenue of call of duty from their launcher than 70% on digital sales, and 50%-55% from disc sales.

Selling 8m on PS is less than selling 6m on their launcher at $60.
8m is $336m on PS, compared to $360m on their launcher. PS would earn less, if you include the disc sales too.

That 30% becomes alot, when you are counting millions of copies. So more copies actually produces less money, than 100% revenue of smaller copies.

Neither Sony nor MS are going anywhere near that.

Especially floppy tits mcgrits Jimbo. He's making Sony too much money. I doubt they even give a shit. I think Sony is so laser focused on themselves, everything they've been doing within the last 3 years have shown a pivot in their strategy that equates to long term gains coupled with a multiplatform future. Hello 14 billion PS network revenue.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
Enterprise Value

Activision Blizzard $53.57B

Nintendo $41.86B

EA $35.09B

George Soros's fund buys Zynga, exits Activision in Q1

New Majority Gives F.T.C. a Chance to Push an Aggressive Agenda

FTC's Lina Khan two-for-two in merger block attempts after Lockheed calls off deal

(Feb 3) Nadella - We don’t need to make any concessions to gain regulatory approval

(Feb 9) Call of Duty and “Other Popular Activision Blizzard Titles” Will Continue to Launch for PlayStation and Switch Beyond Existing Agreements

The Agencies measure market share based on projected revenues in the relevant market. i.e: Sony (platform) and Activision Blizzard (publisher) are the console market leaders in America, followed by Microsoft and EA.

nPWbtuc.jpg

VR5JYx2.jpg

The antitrust world is separated into two antagonistic camps, opposed to each other in their doctrines, and policies. The new structuralist regime, in order to prevent big mergers, is trying to replace the consumer welfare standard with an “effective competition” standard.

FTC withdraws vertical merger guidelines
2020 guidance withdrawn to prevent industry and judicial reliance on unsound economic theories; FTC to work with DOJ to update merger guidance

Former Vertical Merger Guidelines

“These Vertical Merger Guidelines outline the principal analytical techniques, practices, and enforcement policies of the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission (the “Agencies”) with respect to a range of transactions often described as vertical mergers and acquisitions.1 The relevant statutory provisions include Section 7 of the Clayton Act, 15 U.S.C. § 18, Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act, 15 U.S.C. §§1–2, and Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act, 15 U.S.C. §45. Most particularly, Section 7 of the Clayton Act prohibits any merger or acquisition if, “in any line of commerce or in any activity affecting commerce in any section of the country, the effect of such acquisition may be substantially to lessen competition, or to tend to create a monopoly.” This provision applies to vertical mergers, as Congress made plain in the 1950 amendments to the Clayton Act.”

Mergers often present both horizontal and vertical elements, and the Agencies may apply both the Horizontal Merger Guidelines2 and the Vertical Merger Guidelines in their evaluation of a transaction.

1.Evidence of Adverse Competitive Effects

2. Market Definition, Market Shares, Market Concentration

3. Unilateral Effects

4. Input foreclosure and raising rivals’ costs

5. Coordinated Effects

Horizontal Merger Guidelines

1.Evidence of Adverse Competitive Effects

2.Targeted Customers and Price Discrimination

3. Market Definition

4. Geographic Market Definition

5. Market Participants

6. Market Shares

7. Market Concentration

8. Unilateral Effects

9. Innovation and Product Variety

10. Powerful Buyers.
I appreciate this. Thank you. But our system doesn’t work as well as intended sadly.

Outside of licensed IPs EA owns Dead Space, Dragon Age, APEX, Battlefield, Burnout, Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge, Plants v Zombies, Peggle, Titanfall, Sims, Zuma, NFS, MOH, etc
I do not see Disney being interested. I do think Disney will want to enter the gaming space as a publisher at some point, but not sure these IPs really appeal to them. They do have enough developers to develop games based on Disney IPs, but I don't think this is a match. Furthermore Disney stock has completely tanked lately and they have no liquidity. They need to bring back dividends and stock buyback before thinking of M&A.
Surprised no mention of Netflix since they want to go big into gaming, but Netflix stock tanking means they have a similar issue that Disney has right now.
Sony and MS both make sense, but both will chill until the current big acquisitions go through.
Amazon and Apple seem like a better match, but I don't see why either would want to make such a large purchase if they are not serious into gaming - whether with consoles or streaming.
Comcast spinning off NBCU and merging it with EA makes the most sense to me to be honest.

Foilz

Banned
Based solely on ips I definitely would have bought EA over Activision. EA has a big library of great franchises (ruined by EA) but still great franchises. Activision has cod + blizzards games

Top Bottom