• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Facebooks VR division lost over $13.72 billion in 2022. $4 billion loss just in Q4 2022.

https://kotaku.com/facebook-metaverse-vr-2022-billions-13-billion-quest-2-1850062517
But its VR division isn’t helping the company make money. In fact, it’s costing the company billions in losses.

While it’s true that Meta’s stock is rising in after-hours trading today after sharing fairly positive fourth-quarter financial results, its VR division, Reality Labs, didn’t have such positive news to share, as it’s continuing to blow through money at a shocking rate. Today, the company confirmed it lost over $4 billion to VR and metaverse development in its final quarter of 2022. And in total, it lost well over $13 billion in 2022 trying (and failing) to build a metaverse people would flock to.

In comparison, Meta brought in $32.1 billion in revenue across all departments and apps.

As reported by Decrypt.co, Meta’s Reality Labs only brought in $727 million in revenue in the closing months of 2022. That’s not great when compared to the billions spent on the division in the same year, but it’s also worse than you might think. That figure is down 17% from the division’s revenue in the same period of 2021. Ouch.

Remember too that Facebook’s flagship metaverse software, Horizon Worlds, has basically been a giant flop, with reports that most worlds inside of it are empty and barely played. Not only that, but the company’s own employees barely use it, with a leaked internal memo showing that staff at Meta don’t enjoy using Horizons Worlds because it’s riddled with bugs and other quality issues.

Really the only big success story from Reality Labs is the Oculus Quest 2 headset, which was seen by many as an affordable alternative to pricey PC and console VR headsets and was also completely standalone. But in July Meta raised the price of that affordable headset by $100, with the 128GB model now costing $400 and the 256GB version now going for $500.

In November 2022, Meta laid off 11,000 employees, blaming covid, “macroeconomic downturn, increased competition, and ads signal loss.” Zuckerberg blamed himself for the layoffs, but conveniently didn’t mention in his announcement of layoffs how much money the company is continuing to spent on VR and metaverse development. Over the past few years the company has spent tens of billions of dollars trying to make a VR-powered metaverse a thing.

Over $4billion lost in the holiday season alone in 2022, which is when they were discounting the Quest 2 in many areas and tons of software. Over $13 billion overall for the whole year of 2022.

Makes you think twice about what the profit margins are on all this VR stuff. When even big sales of the Quest 2 last year compared to, well, every other headset didn't really generate enough sales profits or software profits to help reduce losses. No wonder Facebook had to raise the price of the Quest 2 for a time.

I see why support becomes stagnant when other companies who invest heavily don't end up where they need to be. They can't take the losses than a company like this can. With these losses and the layoffs, I think this zukerverse dream is about to come tumbling down.

During the holidays the division only brought in $727 million, that means the other 3 quarters must have been a catastrophe with less buyers rushing to get holiday deals. It really puts into question all the other VR participants out there or coming soon, what's their margins? What's their plan for profits?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's not about the loss, it's about the push.
Think About It GIF by Identity

Reallink

It's mind boggling where they could possibly be spending all this money. They've spent like 4-5 billion on software since Quest 2's release with nothing but an RE4 Gamecube port and Beat Saber song packs to show for it. How is that even possible? 5 billion US dollars on mobile powered games and experiences with literally nothing of merit or consequence produced. They must be employing 10's of thousands of people who literally do nothing 365 days a year. Like multiple entire buildings filled with those "day in my life at Facebook " Tiktokers that drink artisinal juices in meditation rooms all day.

Last edited:
They been losing that money cause they been buying shit left and right into their VR division.

They been reckless tho for sure.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It really puts into question all the other VR participants out there or coming soon, what's their margins? What's their plan for profits?
Oculus always had a loss leading strategy, not sure what their expectations were even before Meta's Metaverse silliness.
Some other players were making money since 2016 though - it's debatable whether that mattered or not when markets were smaller though. Clearly the rate they're burning money now, it does.

feynoob

Banned
https://kotaku.com/facebook-metaverse-vr-2022-billions-13-billion-quest-2-1850062517

Over $4billion lost in the holiday season alone in 2022, which is when they were discounting the Quest 2 in many areas and tons of software. Over $13 billion overall for the whole year of 2022.

Makes you think twice about what the profit margins are on all this VR stuff. When even big sales of the Quest 2 last year compared to, well, every other headset didn't really generate enough sales profits or software profits to help reduce losses. No wonder Facebook had to raise the price of the Quest 2 for a time.

I see why support becomes stagnant when other companies who invest heavily don't end up where they need to be. They can't take the losses than a company like this can. With these losses and the layoffs, I think this zukerverse dream is about to come tumbling down.

During the holidays the division only brought in $727 million, that means the other 3 quarters must have been a catastrophe with less buyers rushing to get holiday deals. It really puts into question all the other VR participants out there or coming soon, what's their margins? What's their plan for profits?
Investment eats a lot of money and you don't see profits early.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
It's mind boggling where they could possibly be spending all this money. They've spent like 4-5 billion on software since Quest 2's release with nothing but an RE4 Gamecube port and Beat Saber song packs to show for it. How is that even possible? 5 billion US dollars on mobile powered games and experiences with literally nothing of merit or consequence produced. They must be employing 10's of thousands of people who literally do nothing 365 days a year. Like multiple entire buildings filled with those "day in my life at Facebook " Tiktokers that drink artisinal juices in meditation rooms all day.

Its not spent on quest 2 games. Most of it was spent on metaverse, that shitty virtual world thing meta is pushing.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Have you actually seen the thing you're referring to? It literally looks like a College freshman's group Unity project. There's no way they spent a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of 5 billion on that shit.

Thats exactly why everyone is so baffled (though I think a lot of money would've gone to researching next headset and new tech etc also).

takes a lot of money to carry an industry nearly single handedly, but it will also reap outsized benefits. Thanks for keeping this whole damn thing afloat Meta, love my QP :messenger_horns:
Carry? They didnt even come out with the first headset. I applaud the value proposition they have provided to give people access to a VR experienece on the go, but even the Oculus inventor will tell you that PSVR is just as important for the VR industry.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its nuts how much they lose on VR. At $13B losses in a year they must have endless office buildings of VR workers at $200,000 each and the craziest expensive R&D tech.

And this amount already factors in the sales and profits they got from selling VR sets and whatever software sales they get from it.

Crayon

Hopefully they keep at it. They've dragged the baseline down to cell phone graphics and it would be a disaster if they just cut and left the industry that way. I really hope the quest 3 has enough juice to not hold back pc and ps versions as much.

feynoob

Banned
Carry? They didnt even come out with the first headset. I applaud the value proposition they have provided to give people access to a VR experienece on the go, but even the Oculus inventor will tell you that PSVR is just as important for the VR industry.
Both are esential. They bring new ideas and technology that can enhance both devices.

Ribi

Bullshit there's no way they poured in that much money. Probably losses from stock chalked up to the division.

Barakov

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

mckmas8808

Banned
Good Lord! Maybe it's time for Sony to acquire Ready at Dawn, and relieve Meta of unecessary costs.

God I hope so. Ready at Dawn needs to be released

Poorly managed, terribly obtrusive hardware, lack of understanding of what people want from the metaverse.

I sometimes wish Jim Ryan and Playstation had a $4 billion a quarter budget to spend on PSVR2. Could you imagine what they'd do with that budget?

Have you actually seen the thing you're referring to? It literally looks like a College freshman's group Unity project. There's no way they spent a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of 5 billion on that shit.

It's mind-numbing. Unbelievable even. If it was found out that Zuck was money laudering with the VR funds. I'd believe it.

MiguelItUp

Can't say this is shocking at all. Everything that they were and have been conjuring looks.... not good at all, lol.

It's so hard to believe that they attempted to boast about so much, but then show what looked like game jam content.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The bulk of this is surely due to the insane Metaverse development, which was always doomed. But they sold a ton of devices, so the question is whether they're ready yet to admit that the social / meta aspect is bullshit and just make it a 100% gaming division.

I'm waiting for VR to mature more before I jump in, but with the shit that Meta has done to quest I guess VRs future is all in Sony's hands.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The bulk of this is surely due to the insane Metaverse development, which was always doomed. But they sold a ton of devices, so the question is whether they're ready yet to admit that the social / meta aspect is bullshit and just make it a 100% gaming division.

Those devices are sold at a loss, likely a pretty steep one.

And are not selling much software.. aka games, for said devices.

They JUST passed $1.5 billion cumulative revenue for their VR store... over many years of selling devices at a loss.

Quest as a gaming device is a big money loser.

Facebook probably desperately wants Quest 3 to launch so they can reset expectations and justify a $600 price tag

PSVR2’s price is a bargain but Sony isn’t willing to take a loss. Soon Meta won’t either

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They are spending it on non-gaming related stuff. Face recreation, quest pro, the horizon stuff.

Top Bottom